• 73 results
#1 Posted by Rainbowkisses (467 posts) -

I recently rented Prototype 2 and have found it to be a very enjoyable experience. However, I watched the first few cutscenes and decided that they weren't interesting enough to watch. This is the only game where I have skipped the cutscenes on my first playthrough besides Just Cause 2. It should feel like I'm missing a large part of the game, but I never feel like my enjoyment is lessened because I don't know the context of the gameplay objectives. 'm starting to wonder whether too many games feel like a story is arbitrary even if that was never the focus of the game.

Can a triple AAA games released today have little or no story? Do you feel that skipping cutscenes is ignoring a large part of the game or are some stories in games just not worth your time and attention? Do you ever skip cutscenes in videogames on your first playthrough?

#2 Posted by zombie2011 (5049 posts) -

Most the time, i don't really care about story in most games.

#3 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Never.

#4 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Never the first time through.

#5 Posted by fugie7 (1109 posts) -

no.

#6 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

@Hockeymask27 said:

#7 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

Depends on the game I'm playing.

#8 Posted by mosespippy (4459 posts) -

I did for infamous 2 on my first play through intending to pay attention on my second (my attention was focused on other media at the time) but there were enough unskippable scenes that I knew what was going on and was able to skip them on my second as well. Other than that I only skip them if it's a scene that I've already watched, like the intro scenes when redoing missions in GTA games.

#9 Posted by vorpalparasite (306 posts) -

Prototype 2 is the one game I skipped cutscenes on the first play through.

#10 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -

I've never ever ever skipped a cutscene in my entire existence.

Your question is poorly phrased. I'll skip a cutscene if I've seen it several times and sometimes if I'm playing a game with poor story or one that I don't care about (Just Cause 2 being a good example) then I'll skip those sometimes too. But I won't skip a cutscene if I want to see it. I don't think you'll find anyone with a different opinion to that to be honest.

#11 Posted by cutyoface (553 posts) -

On my second play through I usually skip a few cutscenes.

#12 Posted by Demoskinos (15157 posts) -

On a second playthrough yes. If I'm going to beat a game regardless of how bad the story is I want to see it because I'm already comitting my time to the game might as well slog through the story as well.

#13 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11406 posts) -

I did when replaying MGS4 for speed runs. Cutscenes count toward completion time.

#14 Posted by Rainbowkisses (467 posts) -

@Scooper: You're probably right for the most part. Though there have been plenty of games with mediocre stories where I have watched the cutscenes anyway. (Gears of War, Psi-Ops, the first Prototype) Most of the time I feel that even if the cutscenes aren't very good, they still are a large part of the game and help establish the tone and pacing. I guess what I wanted to find out is how often people feel that a story is worth their attention and how much they value storytelling in videogames. For instance, mosespippy skipped the cutscenes in Infamous 2, a game that I watched all the cutscenes on both playthroughs and thought had solid writing.

#15 Posted by Quarters (1878 posts) -

Never. Story is one of the main things I enjoy about games.

#16 Posted by Lost_Remnant (138 posts) -

Never on the first run, if the story is bad/mediocre it might have some good moments. Or just to merely avoid wondering what's going on because I skipping everything. Even if the story is bad, I feel out of touch with the game if I have no context for what I'm doing.

On second playthroughs or going for 100% completion I'll skip either all the cut-scenes or most of them if there are some I particular like enough to see again. But sometimes I may not do that either, I beat the original Condemned tons of times and never skipped the cut-scenes and this is a game I beat at least six or seven times. Maybe even more since I stopped counting. RE4 I've beaten an embarrassing number of times and have never skipped as well. The more I'm just into everything the game offers, from gameplay mechanics, story, graphics, etc. I'm more likely to not skip anything.

#17 Posted by Irvandus (2886 posts) -

Never

#18 Posted by Brodehouse (10130 posts) -

I enjoy story as much as anyone, but man some cutscenes are asking to be skipped.

I love Persona, but my God are the majority of the cutscenes interminable. They need to cut out all of the inner monologue in this game. There's just too much. And it never lets up. Show, don't tell. They could get farther with half as much words.

#19 Posted by Brodehouse (10130 posts) -
@Brodehouse Sorry, I was referring to Persona 4 Arena. Persona 4 itself is a little wordy and repetitive, but Arena brings it to new levels.
#20 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Never, but my dad played Metal Gear Solid while skipping every cutscene and codec sequence, madness.

#21 Posted by kidman (475 posts) -

absolutely I do as some games have a really shitty story and I play them for the gameplay itself

#22 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1254 posts) -

Never my first time through the game. I like to see what the game is trying to do then if I play it for a second time, depending on the game, I will skip the cutscenes like in Warhammer 40k Space Marine I skipped the cutscenes the second time around because the story wasn't very good.

#23 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1539 posts) -

Oh yeah, I'll skip cutscenes for an entire game at times.  Like that Kane & Lynch 2 game was just awful so to get thru it faster, I skipped all the cutscenes.  I will also start skipping scenes if like a lot of jap games, there is 1 minute of gameplay then a 5 minute video over and over again.

#24 Posted by Deranged (1859 posts) -

@Hockeymask27 said:

#25 Posted by pyromagnestir (4339 posts) -

Depends on whether I think the story is worth watching.

#26 Posted by PeteyCoco (102 posts) -

It depends on the game. For Starhawk I just skipped through everything because it was awful. Resonance of Fate for as bad as I thought the story was,I still watched every cutscene just because it felt like the thing to do. I watched em all in Yakuza 3, but skipped everything in Midnight Club LA. It just depends on if I'm feeling it at the time.

#27 Posted by HH (627 posts) -

I always give them a fair chance, but a lot of the time they make me feel like a retarded child (and often it's when they're trying the hardest, bioware are the worst at it), so yeah, I end up skipping a fair amount. after all, I'm playing the game to have my own experience, not somebody else's, and through years of playing i have found, without exception, that the less interference there is, and the more room i have to use my imagination, the more vivid the experience i will have.

#28 Posted by Beaker (94 posts) -

Only if I've already seen them.

#29 Posted by MideonNViscera (2252 posts) -

I skipped every cutscene after about an hour in when I was playing Star Ocean: The Last Hope. Fucking terrible shit that was, but good mechanics.

I'll never watch a cutscene more than once either, so if I die, or replay the game someday, I'll skip the cutscenes.

#30 Posted by RedCream (694 posts) -

Not until I get to see it the first time through.

#31 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

If I've seen it before and I know I can do it, I'll skip those damn cutscenes. Otherwise, I stick around for that shit.

#32 Posted by LikeaSsur (1592 posts) -

If it's a game with a weak story (Gears of War), I'll skip it as I go another round for all the achievements/trophies, but I've yet to skip a cutscene in Nier.

I'll also skip if it's a boss battle cutscene and I died.

#33 Posted by JeanLuc (3608 posts) -

First time playing a game? NEVER!

#34 Posted by Zaccheus (1805 posts) -

Second playthrough: yes. Never on the first.

#35 Posted by killacam (1278 posts) -

blasphemy. though i play mostly story-centric games.

#36 Posted by JoeyRavn (4983 posts) -

@Zaccheus said:

Second playthrough: yes. Never on the first.

This.

#37 Posted by AngelN7 (2973 posts) -

Never on the first playtrough even if the story starts out bad and uninsteresting I still need to know the story.

#38 Posted by Village_Guy (2664 posts) -

Sometimes when replaying a game, but I never do it on my first playthrough.

#39 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

All the time.

#40 Posted by 49th (2848 posts) -

Only when I accidentally press a button on the MGS codec and it skips the whole conversation at warp speed.

#41 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

All the people saying "Never", is that really true?  

Because when I've seen the same cutscene 4-5 times already oh golly I don't want to see that shit ever again.

#42 Posted by SmilingPig (1341 posts) -

If I saw it before; yes otherwise no.

#43 Posted by Vexxan (4614 posts) -

If it's the third or fourth time I'm re-playing a game I would consider skipping cutscenes but for the most part I enjoy them.

#44 Posted by ajamafalous (12160 posts) -

Only if I've seen it already.

#45 Posted by Gamer_152 (14110 posts) -

I can't blame anyone who wants to skip cutscenes sometimes, there are a fair number of games out there with stories that are lacking in quality. I never skip cutscenes myself because I feel like I'm not getting the full experience if I do, but while it can be good to have some context for missions, I wish AAA games could get away from the idea that a story is an essential component, when they have no intention of putting enough thought or effort into the narrative to really make it engaging.

#46 Posted by ThatIndianGuy7116 (254 posts) -

No, unless it's like my second play through and I already know what is going on.

#47 Edited by Chop (1998 posts) -

You know, I never used to but over the last year I've found that game stories just keep boring me more and more. At this point, I skip quite a few scenes in games now and pretty much any game that doesn't let me skip scenes is written off completely.

#48 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4702 posts) -

Not if it is my first time seeing it. If there is a story i'm going to watch it, even if it is bad. The one exception is I skipped some dialogue in Blazblue.

#49 Posted by EleFlameMax (386 posts) -

Tell me about i!.

#50 Posted by familyphotoshoot (654 posts) -

I skip pure cutscenes only on replays.

In longer games with dialogue-focused pseudo cutscenes (Mass Effect, Dragon Age, The Witcher, etc...) I turn on subtitles and skip through the dialogue because I can read a hell of a lot faster than I can listen.