Posted by Cybertification (197 posts) 7 months, 1 day ago

Poll: Do you ever use lock on features in games? (64 votes)

Yes 92%
No 8%

By this I mean games like Dark Souls or Hotline Miami where it isn't required for anything.

Personally, I think I've used it 3-4 times in Dark Souls and maybe once in Hotline Miami, and I've never felt any need for it in any game.

#1 Posted by Sammo21 (3199 posts) -

Honestly, I think with how I play in dark souls it makes combat more manageable. I don't use it in every game.

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (35801 posts) -

I don't even use iron sights. Just pull the trigger, man.

#3 Posted by mlarrabee (2868 posts) -

Dark Souls IS locking on.

#4 Edited by Aegon (5377 posts) -

Dude, this is kind of useless to ask because it depends on the game. For me, I used it quite a bit in the Souls games and very little in Hotline Miami.

#5 Posted by Cybertification (197 posts) -

@aegon: Yeah, I can understand that, but personally I pretty much never use it, and if a game requires it I will probably not play it.

#6 Posted by Demoskinos (14512 posts) -

I used it a fair amount in Hotline Miami and Dark Souls.

#7 Posted by ILikePopCans (745 posts) -

Too vague of a question.

I do sometimes, and I don't. Depends on the game.

#8 Edited by GunstarRed (4996 posts) -

I've been playing the Ratchet & Clank HD collection and it is so weird that the first game doesn't have a lock on.

#9 Posted by Cybertification (197 posts) -

@gunstarred: Man, it's hard to go back to an earlier game in a series that doesn't have all the features of the newer games.

#10 Posted by mosespippy (3977 posts) -

I didn't use it in either Souls game, I haven't been using it in Soul Sacrifice, I didn't use it in Hotline Miami, I actively turned it off in the recent GTA games and Red Dead. I guess it's something I just don't do.

#11 Posted by Maitimo (176 posts) -

It depends on how usable it is and whether (any) soft lock-on is serviceable. There're a number of games it's vital, or where its absence is incredibly detrimental.

Hotline Miami's lock-on was invaluable in certain stages.

#12 Edited by NTM (7234 posts) -

Not in first person or third person shooters, ever. As for Dark Souls, yeah.

#13 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2857 posts) -

Depends.

Like @maitimo the Hotline Miami lock-on can be super handy, whether on PC or VITA or PS3.

For 3rd person-shooters of any kind I'll turn it off along with auto-assist, so long as the game never gets so broken I need to turn it back on or else redo sections a million times over (Hello, GTAV rampage missions!).

#14 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1503 posts) -

Yes, because I'm not a crazy person.

#15 Posted by SunBroZak (979 posts) -

Aside from Dark Souls, I think the last time I depended on the lock-on features was Star Wars: Battlefront.

#16 Edited by VaddixBell (226 posts) -

I used it in Hotline Miami because I played it with a controller on PC.

For Dark Souls, I definitely use it. It's part of the design. It's kinda of weird comparing Dark Souls lock on to other games, but I kinda see what you mean. For shooters, I turn it off or don't use it.

#17 Edited by ll_Exile_ll (1405 posts) -

I don't even get why you wouldn't use it in something like Dark Souls or Zelda. It's not like in a shooter where it makes the combat trivial, it is simply allowing you to center the camera on the enemies in games that don't have strafing as part of the control scheme. In third person melee games lock on targeting is not an assist like in it is in shooters, it's just part of managing the camera and movement in a 3D space.

#18 Posted by Random45 (995 posts) -

It's required in Dark Souls if you use magic.

#19 Posted by Cybertification (197 posts) -

Just to clarify, this was not in any way meant to say that people who don't lock on in games are better, they're not, it's a very subjective thing, some people are better with it, some without it.