Do you feel bad being around a gamer frustrated at a game?

• 50 results
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By xyzygy

Hey guys. I'm here to ask a question that has only recently come to my mind, but it's about something that bothers me a lot and I've only recently started thinking about it. 

Me and a buddy of mine play a lot of games together and I see him through his tough times and his better times through the games, just like you all probably have. But I find that for some reason, when my buddy is getting pissed off at the game, I feel really bad and I don't know why. I think it's a mixture of me feeling his pain, and a mixture of me thinking that I'm the one to blame by simply being in the room. Mostly the latter. At the beginning I used to feel uncomfortable about it but now I've grown more used to it, but I still can't shake these feelings of guilt, or something.  

I'm just wondering if it's right for me to feel like this while he's playing. Because I know people who can just walk in when he's pissed off and they don't even mind, like they don't even care and just blow it off as nothing but for some reason I can't do that! I get too involved with the game and the player, I try to formulate things in my head to help him, and I get myself down just by not being able to help. And then, when I am able to help and when I do say some advice to help him continue, I feel like my ego is too big or something.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Or am I totally crazy? :P

ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By ricetopher

Just spent the last few months constantly dealing with this, as two of my roommates have the tendency to get frustrated with video games, especially online mulitplayer. Generally, if I wasn't doing anything important, I would just hang out in the other room (two room suite set up). Definitely awkward to be around people getting angry at games.

hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By hinderk

Never. I find it funny when people get mad at video games.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By xyzygy
@hinderk said:
" Never. I find it funny when people get mad at video games. "
See, that makes me jealous. I wish I had that mindset. 
Avatar image for thecreamfilling
TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By TheCreamFilling

I suck at games and fail all the time, but no one comforts me. Sadface.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By JoelTGM

Yeah, I feel guilty sometimes because I'll be laughing at my friend when he dies, but then I realize he's taking it seriously, so I shutup and wait for him to settle down.  I don't really care though, that only happens when he plays call of duty, but he doesn't anymore, so he no longer gets frustrated.

fixerofdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By fixerofdeath

I usually laugh at my friends when they fail at playing video games, but then I just get pissed because they won't accept my advice, so they just continue jumping down the damn ravine, even when I try to let them know there is a bridge nearby. I tend to stay away from my friends when they play games as well, because I am usually ashamed at their awfulness.

DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By DeathByWaffle

Yeah, that can feel a little awkward sometimes, though I usually just find it funny. I can always tell when it's happening, because he'll start yelling stuff like "Lag!", "That hit him right in the head!", or "This is bullshit".

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Lowbrow

I tell my friend he blows and have him hand me the controller to see how its done.

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By weegieanawrench

Yeah man, I totally know how you feel. When I watch my buddy get pissed at a game I feel terrible too. I also feel like that if I said anything I'd get an earful or something. I know that he wouldn't do something like that, but I still feel weird about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

The funny thing about getting pissed off is that if the game wasn't good enough to keep playing, there would be no anger.  When a bad game throws a monster difficulty spike at you, you just shake your head and turn it off.  When a good game does it, it's the worst thing ever.  That makes it tough, because even when the game is being bullshit, you can't say it sucks or you're indirectly criticizing your friend for playing it.

I tend to get really pissed when struggling at a game, and my roommate is usually in the area.  I can't think of what I'd want her to do really.  I don't appreciate her pissing on the game because I don't think she's qualified to do that, and I really wouldn't like to be fucked with at those moments.  Basically a good mix of shutting the fuck up and offering the rare bit of encouragement when the next run starts going alright.  Lighten the tension, I guess.

The only way me and my friends make it through survival horror games is by constantly conversing about the action on the screen in order to lighten the tension.  And that's also why we don't play Silent Hill by ourselves, because it would probably kill us.

Siris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Siris
@xyzygy: You sound like a very empathetic individual. I can relate to your feelings as I have had similar feelings in the past and I think its perfectly natural. There's no need to feel guilty or blame yourself for him having a hard time. Just let him play however he wants to play and if its really bugging you, then maybe you should say something to him about it.

I think I get why you feel like your ego is taking over when you offer advice to help him.. it might be because you're not letting him ask for help. If he wants to overcome some difficulty on his own, then you should let him.

Personally, when I'm with friends playing video games I just like to sit and observe.. and occasionally comment on something related to the feel of the game. I don't usually comment on how they're playing the game or try to tell them they're doing it wrong when in most games there's waaayyy more than one way to go about things. I've found that if I keep offering them advice on how to play the game, then in some cases with certain people, they start to rely on the information I'm giving them too much. It can get to the point where they won't even discover things on their own anymore because they're waiting for me to tell them what else to do. I've found this to be a problem with a lot games' tutorial systems nowadays. There's way too much hand holding going on, in my opinion. Games are supposed to be fun and a major part of that fun is exploring how the game works without anyone having to tell you.
Avatar image for bam_d_leprechaun
Bam_D_Leprechaun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Bam_D_Leprechaun

i get frustrated at watching people who no nothing about games, play them... i find my self screaming " GO THAT WAY!" "NO NOT THERE!" "THATS A GODDAMN TREE, YOU CAN'T WALK THROUGH IT!"

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By landon
@Bam_D_Leprechaun said:
" i get frustrated at watching people who no nothing about games, play them... i find my self screaming " GO THAT WAY!" "NO NOT THERE!" "THATS A GODDAMN TREE, YOU CAN'T WALK THROUGH IT!" "
Yeah, I get more annoyed when I see the solution almost instantly and they don't have any idea where to go.
mshaw006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mshaw006
@xyzygy: I know exactly what you're talking about and I feel the same way. I even get uncomfortable when Brad struggles in the Endurance Run. It's like, you want to help, but you don't want to intrude on their mindset and stuff in case they're about to figure it out. I get anxious, man. I kind of don't get how people just laugh, because I know how bad it is when I'm frustrated like that, so how could I just laugh? We may be taking it all too seriously, but in a way I like that. If I didn't take my friend's emotions seriously, how could I take mine seriously? And if I didn't take myself seriously, I couldn't take anything seriously, and that would suck. Maybe we just have to deal with it.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By xyzygy
@Siris: Thanks for the advice (about the ego thing), I have tried that before and I know it does work. It feels great when he gets it by himself and then he says "Phew, finally got through it!". I can hear the victory in his voice and then we talk about it, about how annoying it was and how hard it was, and what was going wrong. It actually makes me feel proud of him... maybe proud is the wrong word, but regardless I am very happy to see him so happy and to see him overcome it.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By natetodamax

Nah.

Avatar image for bam_d_leprechaun
Bam_D_Leprechaun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bam_D_Leprechaun
@Landon said:
" @Bam_D_Leprechaun said:
" i get frustrated at watching people who no nothing about games, play them... i find my self screaming " GO THAT WAY!" "NO NOT THERE!" "THATS A GODDAMN TREE, YOU CAN'T WALK THROUGH IT!" "
Yeah, I get more annoyed when I see the solution almost instantly and they don't have any idea where to go. "
exactly, I remember watching my girlfriends uncle (who is a very high up in the FBI fyi) try to play Zelda Twilight Princess on the Wii, major fail ensued, although he was a badass at Wii bowling
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xyzygy
@mshaw006: Actually what made me think about this was watching Jeff play Mega Man 9 in that video he made. I felt so bad because Mega Man is a game where you just need to endure and learn the enemies moves and where they move. It just made me feel bad and I couldn't watch the whole thing :(
Sh4ft3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sh4ft3d

I definitely do, but only when I'm introducing a game to someone who doesn't play often, or at all (my sisters for example). I don't like seeing them get frustrated, but I have to balance giving hints with letting them learn and experience it for themselves.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iam3green

no, i find it funny when people get mad at video games. i have a friend that gets mad at modern warfare 2. he owns but when he gets killed he will be all pissed off.

Brockly46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Brockly46

Only wen its my wife or sister-in-law or the opposite sex mostly, I laugh at other guys when they get mad.

Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By peepeepoopoo696

Sometimes, It depends on how stupid my friends are acting.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NTM

Feel bad? Ha ha, no. Well, to a certain extent, only because they can't beat it and I feel like I could. It can be annoying, it can be funny, it all depends on how I feel, or how someone loses, or their reactions. When my best friend dies at games I say (or think) "Oh my God dude, just give me the controller bro, you suck." and sometimes laugh with him if there's a funny death or something. Buuuut, to a certain extent, yeah, I guess I do feel bad in a way. I don't really like seeing people in a negative mood one way or another. Usually I'm givin' the controller to get passed parts so it's good for everyone ha ha.
Spike94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Spike94
@xyzygy:
Dude, yeah. It's no big deal, don't make anything of it. It's his skill at the particular time mixed with a possibility of anger issyas (I don't know him obviously, so this would be for you to deceipher). Just don't feel bad. I find it at times funny, at times awkward, and at times hilarious. I would say try to offer up something to say, but what is there to say? The only thing I can think of is if he keeps messing up and he's doing some part wrong, then you can kindly point him in the right direction or whatevs. I may be thinking of too many scenarios, but hey. Bottom line: you're overthinking it. Never feel bad about it, it's not your fault, I mean that's silly bro. May be downright awkward for sure, but don't let that make ya feel down. Ya know?
OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By OllyOxenFree

When I get angry at the vidya I actually want somebody to be angry with me.  If you stand there silently then I don't know what you're thinking like "He sucks" or "The game is cheap".  Talk to the person playing and give them advice or say that the game is bullshit lol.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By Evilsbane
@Bam_D_Leprechaun said:
Sweet Luchadeer this is one of the most painful things to witness, You just don't know what to do as they fumble around with something so basic, I know it takes time to learn things but Damn, it doesn't take that long.
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel bad in the sense that my brother is constantly playing games and constantly mad at then and cussing, and I have to share a room, so I have to yell at him to shut up a bunch.  Really pisses me off that he's that ridiculous with his anger.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#29  Edited By rjayb89

It really depends on the person.  I've had some friends who just shrug it off eventually and generally laugh at the situation that they're in.  Some can really make things feel really awkward and uncomfortable by being silent or even ragequitting.  I know I've expressed my displeasure with games by yelling things like "fuck man, I'm gonna fuckin' teabag this motherfucker when I fuckin' kill him" (I remember doing this with Assassin's Creed during the battle with like 20 templars before you fight de Sable) after dying a lot, but I understood why I was failing and didn't blame the game (for the most part) because of my bad timing.

To answer your question, yes, I do feel bad when I see someone frustrated at a game.  It really dampens the mood and makes me just throw the match sometimes.  A real coward move to please your pathetic friends.  Some people need to know it's just a game, Jesus Christ.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30  Edited By WickedCestus

Dude I feel the exact same way.

unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By unclejohnny79

I love raging at games, peope just think its funny/weird

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm the one that gets pissed off at games, so my friends would be in your situation.

TheChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheChaos
@hinderk said:
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#34  Edited By JJWeatherman
@xyzygy: It's usually when I'm beating them at a game and they are getting angry when it gets a little weird. If I'm not the one causing the anger though, I'm pretty relaxed and just try to give tips and such.
zolloz89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By zolloz89

when me and my friends get frustrated at a game, it sort of ends up being like an endurance run type of banter between us

RedneckedCrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By RedneckedCrake
@hinderk said:
I'm pretty much the same way. If a friend is struggling on a game and is making a scene out of it, I usually say they need to chill and then offer some help or something. If that doesn't work, I just sit back and watch them play until they figure it out. I don't really understand where the feelings of guilt that the OP is talking about come from.
BeastIncarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BeastIncarnate

I am that friend. Nice to meet you. I know very few people with a strong competitive streak that don't flip out at games from time to time - particularly online. The desire to be the best is a powerful thing. It's also unattainable for someone employed. Basically, you're not to blame if you're not being a dick.  Let's break that down.

If you're not playing a game with me, but you're in the room, leave me alone. I don't want advice, empathy, or anything. My hollerin' is venting, that's all. I've had girlfriends who are bad at this and others that are good. Let me tell you: it can be an issue with the wrong chick.

If you're playing a game with me, the law is sportsmanship. I don't bitch over voice-chat or in person, I don't brag, just congratulate others on a good game and move on. Unless, of course, they want to trash talk. Then, I will pretty much be dead silent. Typically, trash talking turns me me into Angry Rainman. I will definitely... definitely kick your ass. (or not.)  To avoid this whooping: don't trash talk, don't laugh at me if I'm not already laughing, don't use exploits, don't play against me in a game that I've never played and "forget" to explain some of the rules, etc. 

If you're not to blame but being around the other person is making you feel bad, then remove yourself from the situation. If it's bad enough that you're constantly removed from the situation, maybe it's time to talk to the person when they're separated from their controller.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By The_A_Drain

Depends who it is and what is happening. 

Funny angry is great, because it turns into a big group piss-taking session, especially when it's me trying to perform Mortal Kombat Fatalities or other complete bollocks that I hate doing. Or when it's some of my friends playing NSMB Wii or Smash Bros etc. 

But dude's just plain getting angry, like my brother, I wanna punch that little fuck in the face every single time because he literally (actually literally) screams at the top of his lungs and smashes things, throws shit, breaks doors, shelves, plates, tvs, xboxes. Yeah, he's a complete fucktard and no I do not like being around an asshole who thinks it's appropriate to act in this manner. He's not even playing difficult games, he's just a complete spazmo.

All about balance I guess.

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#40  Edited By Astras

It fustrates me trying to bring mates upto my level so I can have a challenge, especially on fighting games.... then I get pissed off and just destroy them for being so shit.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By fwylo

I don't feel bad, I laugh and tell them to figure that shit out because it's not actually hard.

Except Demon's Souls, fuck that game.

papuccino1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By papuccino1

I tease them which makes them rage even more and suck even more at the game. It's hilarious!

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jmrwacko

I once had a group of 3 friends all walk out on me because I ragequit Gears of War. It was pretty bad.

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#44  Edited By dudacles
@hinderk said:

Yeah, same here. The player shouldn't be getting that upset over something so trivial as a video game, and it hardly matters when someone does. It's honestly no big deal, unless he starts punching people out of sheer rage or something.

@Bam_D_Leprechaun said:
" (who is a very high up in the FBI fyi) "
What does that have to do with anything? :p
AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AlwaysAngry

I like to make fun of my friends and get them even angrier. 

It's fun.

Avatar image for mightymayormike
MightyMayorMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MightyMayorMike

I get kind of put off, actually, as gaming is generally relaxing for me and someone being all stressed out can hamper that.

It really depends on how angry they get, though. And how. Sometimes it's funny.

BeastIncarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BeastIncarnate
@MightyMayorMike said:
" I get kind of put off, actually, as gaming is generally relaxing for me and someone being all stressed out can hamper that.  It really depends on how angry they get, though. And how. Sometimes it's funny. "
I've definitely had to learn this. I have a buddy like you. Very relaxed and casual gamer, where I'm extremely competitive. He'll be humping mailboxes and giggling. Meanwhile, I'll be hollering, "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING GET OVER HERE AND STOP THESE IDIOTS!@$#" Needless to say, we're better off playing games in separate rooms where I can employ extreme use of the mute switch on myself.
subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#48  Edited By subject2change

I nerd rage and laugh at those that nerd rage. No harm in it. Shit can get frustrating. Gotta blow off some steam.

Avatar image for mightymayormike
MightyMayorMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MightyMayorMike
@Beast:  Haha, well, I'm laid back but I don't necessarily mess around. I'm still competitive and a team player and all that. I know what you mean though. I have a friend like that too who can be endlessly amused by something like spinning around fast and making the character model look silly.
BeastIncarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By BeastIncarnate

Life was so much easier when I could drink alcohol!