Do you go to Best Buy for gaming?

masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By masternater27

What do you like about them, what do you dislike?  I'll be straight up, I work there and feel like our gaming department is a bit of a joke sometimes and am working on trying to change that.  What would you change/add/remove from Best Buy's gaming department?  What do you like already?  Thanks for any input guys. 

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#2  Edited By citizenkane

I don't know about other stores, but at the store near me the PC gaming should be closer to the other video games.  I know they want to keep the section close to the computer hardware and other software, but then they should just have both of those areas right next to each other and have the PC gaming section be in the middle, or the liaison, between the computer hardware/software and console game/hardware sections.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By TheHBK

I like em because they are more hassle free than EB games, and you can see what games they got there, pick em up look at the back.  Also, there is no big deal for preordering stuff, and usually they have something unique with a preorder, though i dont do it much.  Also, the aisles and orgainization are better than at Target, much better than Walmart, where you have to get someone to get you a game.  I use the rewardzone program a lot too and buying games there gets you those gift certificates faster.
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By damnboyadvance

Yes! I do got to Best Buy! I hate Gamespot. They're cheap, lying bitches if you ask me. I think the gaming department at my nearest Best Buy is just fine, even though some of the demo booths are crap, like the one for Rock Band 2 has a broken drum set, and also doesn't have some sort of seat or something to sit on.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Diamond

I don't shop there.  If I could change anything I would make a Best Buy within 50 miles of here, preferably 5 or less miles away.

choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By choffy21

Sometimes. They have a pretty damn good deal once in a while. But unless they do, not really. The Reward Zone is nice though.

masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By masternater27
@CitizenKane: Definitely agree with you on that.  At my store the PC games are hidden behind DVDs, it's ridiculous and probably the most common thing I get asked about, because nobody can find it.
masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By masternater27
@choffy21: Why not usually?  What would make you come more often?
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By breadfan

Not really, but that's mostly because the closest Best Buy is a 30 minute drive and there's a Game Stop pretty close to my house

choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By choffy21
@masternater27 said:
" @choffy21: Why not usually?  What would make you come more often? "
Mostly because I work at GameStop so I get a discount there. Again, sometimes Best Buy has the best deal I can get on a game anywhere, so I take my buisness there.

I have no loyalties as a consumer; wherever I get the best price on a product is where I go.
Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Stang

I have 2 Best Buys within 5 miles of my house, and I visit both pretty regularly. I don't buy many games there; movies are a whole different story.

masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By masternater27
@choffy21: Thanks :)  I had to go to gamestop the other day to pick up Little King's Story, BS that Best Buy doesn't carry it.
Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

I normally by my videogames other places or on the internet. I do buy a lot of movies from Best Buy because they have such a great selection.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iam3green

no, not all the time. i usually go to gamestop, gamecrazy or walmart to buy my games. best buy is a couple of miles farther then gamestop, gamecrazy, walmart so i go there. i do enjoy the people at best buy though. they are nice friendly people there.  something that i really like about best buy is that they sell video cards/ computer hardware there. i almost bought a video card there but i had a video card coming o me already.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By yakov456

Usually for new releases. The store always smells like b.o. though.

RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RipTheVeins

I'm pretty neutral when it comes to where I shop for games, but I do go to Best Buy when I need more than one media at a time like a CD or movie with a game, or when they have a bonus when you get a game that you don't have to pre-order for.  Like when Guitar Hero II came out and when you got the guitar+game package you got a free copy of the Wayne's World DVD. 100% badass-ness , especially since the VHS of the movie I had busted since I watched it so many times.

masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By masternater27
@Agnogenic: Why movies and not games?
CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By CoolDrMoney

If I'm at the nearby mall, I tend to go to check the video game section of Best Buy. If anything, there needs to be more of an effort to monitor the game demo kiosks to make sure that kids quit breaking the damn things. Especially Rock Band/Guitar Hero instruments. I wonder what methods they'll come up with to ruin DJ Hero demos this autumn.

pablodiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By pablodiablo

I always know what I want when I go there, but I always see these middle-aged women having a really hard time finding games for their kids. At my Best Buy the staff doesn't have much of a clue, but I guess masternater27 is one of a kind.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By myke_tuna

I go to Best Buy if I want something right away. Otherwise, it's Amazon or newegg. I buy computer stuff and electronics from newegg, and movies/music/games from Amazon. But again, if it's a need it now thing, I'll go to Best Buy. The BB closest to me is really good. They have a gaming space with PC, 360, etc. all in one section and their prices are alright. I also don't need to let people know so they can unlock some door or whatever. Just pick up and go to the register. But then again, the place I live now is fairly "safe". I used to live in LA, and I recently went there on vacation and it's no surprise they have their shit locked up tight. Although, for a regular consumer, being able to get what you want and bring it to the register in your hand, makes things a lot smoother. "No, not THAT Gears of War, Gears of War TWO. Yeah, that one. (with the two on the box, ass). Ok. Thanks." lol.

Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Agnogenic_delete
@masternater27: Bestbuy is one of the farther stores from where I can purchase games. I have a Wal-Mart right by my house which has almost everything.
masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By masternater27
@PabloDiablo: I had a dude shocked as hell that I knew what he was talking about when he asked if we had Tales of Vesperia today.  Unfortunately BB doesn't carry it anymore so I had to send him to gamestop.  That's probably the biggest bummer working there, I feel like we have a rep for employees that don't know what they're talking about when it comes to gaming, then when I finally talk to somebody that is a "hardcore" gamer we usually aren't carrying the older not platinum hits game he/she was looking for.
masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By masternater27
@CoolDrMoney: Honestly a lot of it is that people are just disrespectful.  The drumsets break in about 3 days on average, people try to steal the various pieces of equipment.  I do kind of work in the ghetto though.  But when something does break we can't just store use a drumset we have to order it which takes a couple weeks.  It's kind of a bad system, but I don't see it getting that much better.  Good insight though.
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By ArchScabby

I like Best Buy  because If I want to quickly walk in, grab a game, pay, and get out.  I don't have some 17 year old acne faced fat kid asking me to pre-order 22 different games, or trying to sell me a strategy guide to a racing game I don't even have.

Hughes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hughes

Best Buy has some good deals now and then. I got Saints Row 2 Collector's Edition for $24 the other day. Brand new.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By C0V3RT

My Best Buy started doing the goofy thing of putting pieces of paper in the hard cases which I guess you have to bring up to the regiester to have the cashieer get out of some case?  I understand why do it but it's a hassel so I've taken my business elsewhere.  I stopped going there a while back when they tried ot sell magazine subscriptions when you checked out but they since stopped so I went back. 

Rather there is a mega electronics store specific to my area across the way and I've found that getting my games there on launch day ends up netting me a $10 in store gift card.  I take my business there now instead.
EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By EvilTwin

I much prefer Best Buy to Gamestop in general.  Unfortunately, I find Best Buys' in general to have an arbitrary and often bizarre assortment of games.  It'd be nice if they had a bigger selection.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#28  Edited By gingertastic_10

I go there for everything but buying games.

MagicKiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MagicKiwi

For PC games, yep. My EB has relegated all PC games to a little half-kiosk deal, the old wall being occupied by used PS2 games.

quikDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By quikDC
@ArchScabby said:
" I like Best Buy  because If I want to quickly walk in, grab a game, pay, and get out.  I don't have some 17 year old acne faced fat kid asking me to pre-order 22 different games, or trying to sell me a strategy guide to a racing game I don't even have. "
I agree. I despise even going into Gamestop.
Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Bigandtasty

Mostly for their clearance sales. For general new game buying it's Amazon all the way for me.

the_stig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By the_stig

I usually just go for any of the deals that they have.  I go almost exclusively to Play N Trade because if I am bored I go there and play any game for an hour or two and then purchase it if I want to.  Plus Play N Trade still has PS1, N64, SNES, etc... games and consoles in stock and will repair my consoles or cartridges.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By m1k3

i either get my games from bestbuy or amazon... mostly amazon if they have "release date shipping." with best buy, i just pre-order or order a game online, and just go straight to the  pick up area when i get there.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By natetodamax

I buy most of my games from Gamestop and occasionally Wal Mart

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#35  Edited By the8bitNacho

I pretty much buy everything from Amazon when it comes to media.  I bought a laptop from Best Buy once.

masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By masternater27
@natetodamax: Do you prefer those stores or are they just closer?
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#37  Edited By natetodamax
@masternater27 said:
" @natetodamax: Do you prefer those stores or are they just closer? "
A Gamestop or Wal Mart has always been closer to us than a Best Buy
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By LiquidPrince

Sometimes.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#39  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I usually buy stuff from Amazon if it's not on impulse. However, I will occasionally buy games from Best Buy over Gamestop because it's not in the mall and I don't feel greasy when I enter. Also, my local Best Buy has Persona 4. My local Gamestop does not.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Barrock

Not too often. I picked up Wii Sports Resort the other day while I was there but I usually buy my games at Gamestop or a local game store.

bretthancock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By bretthancock

Best Buy in my area actually has a decent selection.  They'll frequently get in titles on release date that Game Crazy for whatever reason doesn't have on time.  Plus I use my Reward Zone Credit Card as my primary card and pay it off every month so I always have a ton of points to use up.  No complaints about Best Buy for video games.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42  Edited By Hamst3r

I don't go to Best Buy.

Shopping is what the internet is for.

smokeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By smokeH

If there was a Best buy in japan MAYBE

AlexB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 10

#44  Edited By AlexB

I would change the requirement for employees to have gelled spiked hair and have douche-y personalities. Not saying that is YOU, just saying that is the trend.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By pause422

I don't buy games at stores at all. Gamefly for consoles, digital for PC. If I still did though however, it would probably be Best Buy..I will never do anything at all in a Gamestop.

AsianSwagger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AsianSwagger

Since it opened about 2 years ago near my house its become the only place I get my games.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By animateria

Occasionally, usually they don't have what I want.

Oh, Amazon.com~ How did I ever buy games without you~ <3

masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By masternater27
@AlexB: No gelled hair, and I consider myself pretty undouchey.  The biggest douchey thing I've done all week was tell a woman that we couldn't exchange her UK version of Mama Mia because she obviously didn't buy it at a Best Buy.  She asked to talk to the manager, I think he gave it to her.  I hate retail sometimes.
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#49  Edited By KaosAngel

They got super deal on video cards at times...so I go there when they're selling an awesome card for cheap.