• 92 results
#51 Posted by Nobility (295 posts) -

I'm just too used to the old review system.  I feel that .1 increments allow more depth as there is bound to be a game where hundreds of people believe it does not deserve that score.  I guess the only reason I like it is to laugh when a big game flops.  But in all honesty, it doesn't really matter, people should be looking for reviews for knowledge about the product, not relying on an arbitrary number to see whether they should even bother looking at a game.

#52 Posted by RobMosher (29 posts) -

5 stars is great for quick idea about a game, Average, above average, below average. i like actually reading a review for the little detail or listening to the podcasts and listen to the guys get down to the nitty gritty on a game.......  SO yeah i like!

#53 Posted by RobMosher (29 posts) -

5 stars is great for quick idea about a game, Average, above average, below average. i like actually reading a review for the little detail or listening to the podcasts and listen to the guys get down to the nitty gritty on a game.......  SO yeah i like!

#54 Posted by Guiltyspark (554 posts) -
RobMosher said:
"5 stars is great for quick idea about a game, Average, above average, below average. i like actually reading a review for the little detail or listening to the podcasts and listen to the guys get down to the nitty gritty on a game.......  SO yeah i like!
"

this exact quote needs to be plastered underneath every single score given out on giantbomb
#55 Posted by Wade_Wilson (29 posts) -

I like the review system, I mean the .1 increments can get a little ridiculous at times. I find the stars perfect.

#56 Posted by Wade_Wilson (29 posts) -

I like the review system, I mean the .1 increments can get a little ridiculous at times. I find the stars perfect.

#57 Posted by brew (47 posts) -

5 stars for those games though ? Shouldn't they be more like fours ?

#58 Posted by FrizzyFresh (10 posts) -

Casey and Smash are together again at long last. ^_____^ kekeke

#59 Posted by Guiltyspark (554 posts) -

omg its frizzy fresh lol

#60 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

I dont like the .1 increments actually, makes you think X game is better then X game by .X when really they could be both the same level of quality, just depends on your taste.

Its all about generalizing the game review though, all you really need to know if its a good or bad games, buy or not, etc.

#61 Posted by RabbitKarrot (362 posts) -

I like what they have going here, the 5 star system. Its just less complicated and easier to understand.

#62 Posted by ILOVETHEENOT (234 posts) -

I'm indifferent I can see the good and the bad of both systems, overall I don't care.

#63 Posted by Absurd (2934 posts) -

Yes 'Nuff said.

#64 Posted by UncleRemus (6 posts) -

The simpler the better. The rating does not mean as much to me as the text of the review. It is nice to see a non-bios review once ina awhile. I do not buy many games and when I do the reviews are what make my mind up.

#65 Posted by Cadmus (290 posts) -

I think the 5 star system is great.  It adds less fuel to the console wars.  That's the kind of stuff we don't need at GiantBomb.

And as for the .1 increment system, it is impossible to be fair and objective with your scores.  Moreover, the system makes no sense, what really separates a 8.9 from a 9.0?
#66 Posted by GearsGamer360 (39 posts) -

Honestly I hate reviews and scores that only go to 5 and that use stars. I personally Love the old fashioned 1-10 rating system. thats why I hate gamepro's review system, its just confusing when it only goes to 5. I say innovate, have it go to 10 stars perhaps?! I would prefer the .5 review system like Gamespot's but you can also innovate by doing a 10 star system

#67 Posted by Jechtshot78 (42 posts) -
GearsGamer360 said:
"Honestly I hate reviews and scores that only go to 5 and that use stars. I personally Love the old fashioned 1-10 rating system. thats why I hate gamepro's review system, its just confusing when it only goes to 5. I say innovate, have it go to 10 stars perhaps?! I would prefer the .5 review system like Gamespot's but you can also innovate by doing a 10 star system"
The issue with that is that Gamespot's "1-10" scale is anything but. It is a 1-20 point scale, and IGN's is a 1-100 point scale.
#68 Posted by Euryb (110 posts) -

This system works and its the easiest. if you want it out of 10 just take the giantbomb score and multiply it by 2. I think its the simplest easiest way to review something with 1 being bad 2 being a little less than average 3 being average 4 being above average and 5 being perfect.

#69 Posted by RVonE (4638 posts) -

I love the system. It is clear and more loose than other systems.

#70 Posted by Blubba (527 posts) -

I think scores should be removed altogether so people actually read the review. So many people just look at the score and forget the point of the review. Then the world wouldn't go crazy when Twilight Princess gets an 8.8. I like the 5 star system more for all the reasons Jeff stated, but people will still go crazy when Twilight Princess only gets 4 stars.

#71 Posted by Pat_McCrotch (32 posts) -

CaseyWegner, join Zul'Jin again. Hotsauce misses you.

btw, I preder the use of .1 increments.

#72 Posted by Guiltyspark (554 posts) -

i love you pat

#73 Posted by Lairdo (543 posts) -

Me like, although id prefer a 10/10 system.

#74 Posted by Foil_Charizard (345 posts) -

The 5 point scale is good for a straight up "buy it or don't" review, i personally prefer a 10 point or higher scale, not because the difference between a 8 and 9 or the difference between an 8.5 and 8.6 means that it is or is not a buy, but because for the fun ranking games compared to each other it makes things more fun, at least i thing. And I also think that some games just deserve to be in a different class than others which is why I like having the score of 10 on 10 point scales (or higher)  reserved for the best of the best.

#75 Posted by Dr_Feelgood38 (1550 posts) -

I like it. I can't really give a specific reason why, but I like it.

#76 Posted by HairyMike87 (1016 posts) -
CaseyWegner said:
"with the 5 starts? I do not it seems kinda casual, I would like to see something like IGN/GS old review system 1 - 10 with .1 incrimetns.
"
I think that it is good. It's simple.
#77 Posted by Oriental_Jams (3063 posts) -

I think it's OK. Not great, but I can live with it.

#78 Posted by brew (47 posts) -

CaseyWegner is a Microsoft fanboy ? Teh green .....

#79 Posted by Lobsterkin (10 posts) -

I'm loving the 5 stars, it's simple and intuitive. But I especially like how pretty they are.

#80 Posted by CaptainCanada (105 posts) -

It doesnt bother me i get the idea either way

#81 Posted by TmlMatus (41 posts) -

hehe casey, good to see you here man.

#82 Posted by thelastguy (356 posts) -
CaseyWegner said:
"with the 5 starts? I do not it seems kinda casual, I would like to see something like IGN/GS old review system 1 - 10 with .1 incrimetns.
"
I agree.
Are you one of the mods from GS?
#83 Posted by TmlMatus (41 posts) -

personally i think the rating system is quite good, gets rid of the whole ... ' my game is .2 better than yours'

#84 Posted by tec3297 (1170 posts) -

This 5 star scale works, but I really like 1up.com's new setup with the letter grades.  Everyone knows that A is excellent and C is average and F is failing so it appeals to everyone hardcore and casual gamers alike.

#85 Posted by I_smell (3924 posts) -

1 star- Do not buy this game
2 stars- You probably shouldn't buy this game, but whatever
3 stars- I'd never pay full price for this game, but that's not to say that it's bad
4 stars- This is a pretty cool game
5 stays- Buy this game

#86 Posted by phatkav (304 posts) -

I would like it more if they include half stars. Because otherwise, every great game would end up with 5 stars, and if not, it will get 4 stars and fans will start complaining and start comparing game X to game Y which will lead to more pointless arguments.

#87 Posted by 1oneWON (87 posts) -
niall077 said:
"it gets the job done

and the 5 point scale should stop syatem fanboys fighting over scores..... for now "
Yeah until people start bitching about Game X getting a 3 instead of a 4. It's not a new system, we've just become used to the 1-10 system which is useless since half of that scale is never used anyway.
#88 Posted by Colonel_Cool (808 posts) -

I really like the 5 star system on a site with good reviewers. It makes the score more of an overall generalization, and less specific to the reviewer's own personal taste in the game, with the review having the important content of the game. It prevents people like Mr. System Wars User from bragging over a game on one system that got .3 higher than another system.

#89 Posted by MadExponent (305 posts) -

Wait...what the fuck casey....

Did you leave GS?  I got modded there so many times for calling people noob bitches.

#90 Posted by Lies (3866 posts) -

The user review system lets you use half stars, so if that's your sort of thing, it's available. I really like the 5 star rating system. The less granularity the better in my opinion. I just need to know: "This is a great game" or "This is a terrible game". So I very much like the review system. It's the text that matters anyways, not the score.

#91 Posted by Broman6015 (63 posts) -

I think the 5 point (star) system is better. At least for me personally.

#92 Posted by MisterSpiffy (880 posts) -

I don't really pay attention to the stars.  I read the review and focus on those points.