Do You Guys Read Walkthroughs for Adventure Games?

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 142

#1  Edited By psykhophear

I know I did, but often I wish I didn't. Majority of the Adventure games are so cryptic that it takes a lot of patients, trials and errors to get it right, especially the LucasArts adventure games. To this day, I regret reading the walkthrough for Grim Fandango and it was not because I got stuck or anything, but because I was lazy. I had the walkthrough right next to me and just played the game from start to finish without any effort whatsoever. God, I sucked! Sometimes I wish I had forgotten about playing Grim so that I could play it legitimately and simply having a wonderful time solving the riddles on my own. 

From then on, I began consulting with the walkthroughs only when I'm stuck and I did that with Day of The Tentacle, Prisoner of Ice, King's Quest VI and more. Right now, I'm playing Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition on the iPhone and I urged myself not to seek help and just finish the game by myself, although occasionally I shake the iPhone to reveal some hints (but that doesn't count, right? :P). 

So do you guys read walkthroughs only when you're stuck or are you all perfectionists?

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By BulletproofMonk
@Psykhophear said:
 Majority of the Adventure games are so cryptic that it takes a lot of patients  

Hmm?
butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By butano

If I'm stuck, I'll take a peek at what I'm supposed to do and then look away from the rest of the walkthrough. Most recenty, playing Sam & Max: Reality 2.0 at the very beginning had me super confused at what I was supposed to do, and then once I looked it up, I felt like an idiot.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By landon

There comes a time in every adventure game I play when I say "Screw this, I just want to hear the story". 

So yeah, I do.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I use the same policy I always use with walkthroughs, wait until I'm really stuck. It's much more satisfying to figure stuff out yourself, but it's also no fun to bash your head against the wall when you can't figure out a puzzle. Plus, sometimes I'll look it up and the solution will be something I would have never thought to do, so I don't feel so bad about it.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#6  Edited By citizenkane

The only walkthrough I have used is for Assassin's Creed II to get all of the achievements.  Especially in adventure games, I like finding things out for myself.  It wouldn't be much of an adventure game if I didn't, would it?  If I ever get really stuck and get on the brink of frustration, I will go onto forums and read.  Other than that, they just aren't worth the time for me.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By CaptainObvious

I always do.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By MysteriousBob
@BulletproofMonk said:
" @Psykhophear said:
 Majority of the Adventure games are so cryptic that it takes a lot of patients  
 Hmm? "
Being stressed out from being stuck in a game can land you in the hospital.
ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#10  Edited By ZombiePie

Some of the early and late adventure games during the adventure game hay day were really messed up. I include that damn turtle bomb in The Dig, the bucking Goat puzzle from Broken Sword, and the unspeakable Cat Hair Puzzle from Gabriel Knight. Those were designed by IT designers and felt like you had to be an IT designer to understand. Then there were all of the times where I forgot to pick up an item and got stuck in latter part of the game...ugh those were the days nightmares and sleepless nights.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By MrKlorox

I try to look up spoiler free solutions to individual puzzles when I get totally stumped. But I don't look for straight up walkthroughs. Those always spoil things.

However I often look up maps when trying to grind out hidden items such as those in Rockstar games. Most recently I looked up geography and english class solutions for Bully after failing each once.

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Goly

Before the internet appeared playing adventure games was such an intense experience. I remember calling a friend of my parents (well my father called but still) because we couldn't find a solution for one of the puzzles in The Fate of Atlantis and we knew she had beaten the game. I'm being super nostalgic of course but still I find that to be incredibly more social than any of that artificial community crap they're trying to sell us nowadays in gaming.

edit: shit I haven't really answered the question. Yes I've used and abused walkthroughs in adventure games. As soon as I spend more than a couple hours trying to figure out a puzzle I just go check the walkthrough. I just play them for the story mostly anyway.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By Yummylee
whallett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By whallett

For epic long RPGs I do, and annoying parts of adventure games, like some parts of Drake's Fortune. Otherwise, not usually. 

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I try not to, but sometimes I have to.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Grissefar

I play telltale games with hints off.

Not Monkey Island 2 though! Some puzzles are way too cryptic and it's so huge that you have no way of knowing if you can even solve the puzzle yet: I'm looking at you, Spitting Contest and Final Boss! So I used ingame hints a few times. Except I also had to use a walkthrough too since the hints couldn't help me win the spitting contest.

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By Fajita_Jim

No. Not for any style of game. If I read a walkthrough or consult a strategy guide, I feel cheap and stupid. The last strategy guide I bought/read was for Ogre Battle on the SNES back in the early 90's. Then I went and beat Myst on the PC without any help and while it was more frustrating doing it by myself, when I beat the game it was also like a big middle finger "FUCK YOU MYST" that I wouldn't have got if I had used a guide.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#18  Edited By BeachThunder
ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#19  Edited By ZombiePie
@Abyssfull said:
" I totally did for Broken Sword back in the day. "
Again I would like to take the time to say that the bucking goat puzzle was fucking bullshit.
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20  Edited By KaosAngel

...for point and clicks, hell no.  Defeats the entire purpose for buying the game. 

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By davidh219

It depends. For a couple games, like the first Broken Sword, I never actually got stuck for long enough to get frustrated, and thus never looked up a walkthrough. With most of the Lucasarts games (particularly the Monkey Island series) I always get frustrated enough at some point to look up a walkthrough, and after that it's pretty much over--I'll use it for the entire rest of the game. Honestly though, I don't play point and click adventure games because I want to test my brain. The puzzles aren't even challenging, they're just cryptic and abstract as all hell, especially with the older games. All they were trying to do when they designed them was waste your time for long enough that you felt you got your money's worth. I play them more for the story, characters, humor and awesome set pieces. If I want a game to test my brain I'll play professor layton--not monkey island. 

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Absolutely always. Older Click-and-points are kinda hard :I

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Fallen189

Kitty hat day in Grim Fandango :@

Avatar image for dragonbloodthirsty
DragonBloodthirsty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

When I was younger, I liked the walkthroughs because it meant I didn't get stuck.  Getting stuck on a single puzzle meant not having a clue what to do.  I tended to consult them when I got stuck, and usually I was required to interact with some kind of object I didn't know I needed to do stuff with.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Totally, and I always feel terrible for it.