Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

System Shock 2

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Aug 11, 1999

Developed by Looking Glass Studios and released in 1999, this cyberpunk first-person shooter with RPG elements established new standards for storytelling and gameplay.

Do you have any tips for a first time System Shock 2 player?

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

I need help

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By azrailx

go navy, ignore psyionics, dont play on hard

carefully search all locations

idk been a while but game is better than every other shock - graphics excluded

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The_A_Drain

Take things slow, don't try to play it with the idea that you can blast everything.

Other than that I'd advise re-starting a few times and playing the opening section until you've got a nice feel for both it and what kind of character you want to play, but I'd personally recommend having access to hacking and repair skills, there are so many pistols around that you'll pretty much be able to guarantee yourself a good durability pistol for the entire game if you have the ability to repair.

Avoid unnecessary encounters with the enemy, outside of a few tight spots they are usually relatively easy to avoid and save your ammo (or rather your gun durability) for the more troublesome ones like gun turrets and the monkeys early on, they are easy to deal with on their own but if you don't have a weapon to do the job with, they can really tear you a new one. Once you start encountering some of the more late-game enemies it pays to have a shotgun or whatever lying around specifically to deal with them, don't waste the ammo/durability on anything else like regular enemies.

It's been a fair while since I played it myself, about 2 years. So my memory isn't super great, but overall I'd advise just taking it slow over everything else. Save often.

Datajack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Posted in other double post:

Your best bet is to post this over at the SS2 forums where others familiar with the game can best assist. Also you may want to list specifics on what you need help on: Tactics, controls, etc.

http://www.giantbomb.com/system-shock-2/3030-8870/forums/

PS. looks like you double posted this in general discussion, you may want to delete the other post.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By cornbredx

Use the mods so the old graphic style doesn't take you out of the game.

Also realize it's more of a survival horror than even Bioshock.

Otherwise, you're set. Just realize this game is old and won't hold your hand so be prepared to think for yourself. =)

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Be prepared to pull your hair out multiple times, I could never sum up the courage to complete that game.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#7  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Play it in co-op! It supports up to 4 players and is incredible when you're at least two playing it. You will be competing for ammo and resources, but having two characters with different weapon skills can be very useful. That also means one player can focus more on combat while the other goes the hacking and repair route.

Oh, and don't forget that unlike in Bioshock, the vitachambers don't activate automatically, you have to hack them on each floor in order to respawn when you die (there's of course normal, manual saves in there too, but with the vitachambers you don't have to reload a save when you die, unless you've used up all your ammo or something). Major enemies stay dead (regular zombies are still spawned from time to time) and your progress is saved.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By yinstarrunner

Been a while since I played it, but I'll try to give some tips.

I'd recommend putting points into repair. Its a lifesaver. Really.

I wouldn't bother putting points into any weapons skills besides Standard. At the very least, you'll want 6 levels in Standard Weapons. Might consider popping 3-4 points into Strength while you're at it. You'll thank me later.

The wrench is amazing. Don't be afraid to use it when you can, to save ammo. I even invested in some upgrades for it to give it a little more "oomph", even though I was using a ranged character.

A lot of people are going to tell you not to use PSI. But I started off as OSA in my game and it was hella fun. I did have a *little* experience with the game prior, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it. I do know it was fun and fuck the haters. It helps you do work with the wrench and gives you a lot of other utility. If you're playing on normal, you'll still get plenty of cybermodules for your other stats-- it's not like you're locked in to only using psionics the whole game. I pretty much played the game as a hybrid wrench/standard weapons/PSI guy and it worked out just fine.

Anyway, the point is, use psionics if they seem cool to you. It won't hurt as bad as everyone else says it will.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

Hack. Everything.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Hacking is a good skill to invest in. Also, stock up on ammo but use your wrench whenever you can. It's not until very late in the game that it will stop being useful.

Also, I may be in the minority here, but I think the original visuals still look great and would advise against using graphics mods because the redesigned enemies don't look as creepy.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By soldierg654342

Navy is the best choice for your first play-though. Hacking is super-useful for all but one area in the game. The wrench if your best friend. You can unload the single shell that Shotgun Hybrids have in their jammed shotguns. Loot it and right clock on it, then click on UNLOAD in the window that pops up, then just drop it where ever.

I can give more specific advice if you want it, if you are having trouble with a certain thing. SS2 is my favorite game and I know it pretty damn well at this point.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By audiosnow

Navy for your first go-around. Build up Repair and Hacking first. Unload every unneeded weapon before you discard it. Look EVERYWHERE: supplies are pretty plentiful if you'll just find them. Your wrench is your best friend for most of the game; the crystal shards will take over for it when they show up. Move slowly in unfamiliar areas: that camera will get you killed. Make your OS upgrade unit choices VERY carefully. Research every organ you find; 25% additional damage is a God-send. This is more Survival Horror than FPS: pick your battles, and avoid anyone you can.

The depth of OSA, and Psi in general, can be too overwhelming for a first or second playthrough, but it's a ton of fun when you can dig into it. If the weapon degradation is too much to handle (most of the reviewers docked points for that) there is a modification you can make to the "user.cfg" file.

@stoodspoon: Oh, and please tell me you are seeing the cutscenes. They look really chunky and blurred now, but I played through the game about six times before I got the "LGVID.AX" codec properly signed for XP and saw them. Man, that was a lot of plot I had missed...

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Keep an eye out for cameras they are easy to miss and can make the first level of the game a bit of stumbling block, if enemies just keep on coming you tripped a camera somewhere.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Enjoy the game :D ... yeah not much of a tip as there are better tips that has been said about the game but really just enjoy it for what it is and yeah do explore every corner you might find some great stuff (this includes cealings and railings etc)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.