• 136 results
#101 Posted by Ossi (1229 posts) -

Any game with spiders. It didn't help that Darksiders had an entire dungeon with those fuckers.

#102 Posted by _Nuno_ (183 posts) -

I can't play Resident Evil or the Wii Silent Hill. Jump-scares... Those really get me easilly. 
Left 4 Dead 2 however doesn't scare me for a minute, because it's a continuous experience.
#103 Edited by ReaperOfLiving (491 posts) -

Have a fear of forgetting to save.  

Also have a fear of World at War's veteran.  *shivers*

#104 Posted by Binman88 (3684 posts) -
@ReaperOfLiving said:
" Have a fear of forgetting to save. "
That, and a fear of shitty games :(
#105 Posted by Fripplebubby (1027 posts) -

I'm scared to death of sports games from 2-3 years ago. Example: Madden 07. NBA Live 08. These games scare me, because they put the year right in the title like its an obligation to get the next one, so when you pick up an older one it seems like it's constantly nagging you that it isn't current. Also I have a fear of anything made in 2001, 2002, and 2003. I'm not sure why...

#106 Posted by IzzyGraze (850 posts) -

ZOMBIES!!!

I'm ok with them now but same as the other guy. When I played half-life 2, that Ravenholm part scared the CRAP out of me. The only way I got through it was to trash talk the zombies as I scrambled for a blade to pick up and throw at them. God! Why did they have to design it so you ran out of ammo >_<"  .

#107 Posted by ShoulderHolster (78 posts) -

I'm surprised by how many people have video game phobias. The level of immersion in video games is not yet complete enough to give me any game-related phobias.
#108 Posted by animateria (3252 posts) -
@Mordukai said:

" For example: I know someone who refuses to play platformers because he suffers from acrophobia (fear of heights). Even though he is fully aware that no harm will come to him he still cannot bring himself to playing them. He saw me playing inFAMOUS and he would not stop cringing.  I used to be mildly afraid of heights until I got a job working on scaffolding in order to deal with it.  "

That isn't a game related phobia...

It's a real life phobia that effects the person even in a game.

Anyways, I have a fear of losing progress in a game. Which means I'm that guy who compulsively presses the quick save button.

I guess that's not a phobia, maybe something akin to OCD?
#109 Posted by JessicaBoo (404 posts) -

a lot of people have chosen deep water? Wow! i couldnt play bioshock because of it! And spiders, but actually playing thru titan quest just is like at first i was like UGH omg cringing then i was like YEAH! DIEEEE!! gave me pleasure to kill my phobias on computer games. 

Bulletwitch (BAD GAME) had a part where you fight a monster on top of an airplane and omg you could fall from it, and you was standing on it... Very close to the beggining of the game. LAst time i ever played it... TERRIFYING!!! height, planes and falling...  

Must say i phobiaphobic! LOL 

#110 Posted by ssssrrrr4000 (1 posts) -

@mordukai: i can on , out it was called math muncher. i mean this game was creepy becuase it ate nummbers whole and i statrted getting nightmares from it wwhen i was in second grade(i have a worrying disorder) and this creature kept haunting me and killing me in my dreams until one day i killed it by slicing its head off with a katana.

#111 Posted by SgtSphynx (1266 posts) -

@mordukai said:

For example:

I know someone who refuses to play platformers because he suffers from acrophobia (fear of heights). Even though he is fully aware that no harm will come to him he still cannot bring himself to playing them. He saw me playing inFAMOUS and he would not stop cringing.

I used to be mildly afraid of heights until I got a job working on scaffolding in order to deal with it.

I can relate to that. I don't suffer from acrophobia but in platformers or games where I am traversing narrow pathways high above the ground, I am always dreading falling. The game that sticks out in my mind for this is Dark Souls in Anor Londo.

#112 Posted by neato (76 posts) -

HUGE sea monsters while my character is swimming in a large body of water freaks me out. The first time I fought Lagiacrus in Monster Hunter, I was screaming like a little girl.

#113 Posted by probablytuna (3534 posts) -

I have a phobia of being chased by monsters/enemies in video games. This is probably why I don't play horror games.

#114 Posted by ViciousBearMauling (897 posts) -

I'm Bad-PC-Port-Aphobic

#115 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5222 posts) -

Large bodies of water get me the most. I remember exploring the ocean north of Skyrim and even knowing the whole thing was empty, besides the occasional school of fish, it still made me fairly nervous. I also sometimes have a fear of heights. It's pretty inconsistent though.

#116 Posted by Castiel (2528 posts) -

Deep water. Games that have deep water where its hard to see freak me out. I always think that something is gonna come out and surprise me. That also goes with real life though.

This plus big spiders. Big spiders or spider like creatures always creep me out... so fuck Metro: Last Light and Limbo is what I'm saying.

#117 Posted by jkz (4002 posts) -

I remember this thread. Yeah underwater sections fucking get to me. S'why I only did that one mandatory dive in AC4, and shot all my sharks in Far Cry 3 as close to land as possible. That sort of thing is the only occasion where I'll play a game with one hand hovering over my eyes.

I don't give a *FUCK* about video game spiders though. Real life spiders I don't like, but somehow video game spiders have just become so par for the course that they sort of just register as another enemy to me.

#118 Posted by TobbRobb (4579 posts) -

As in real life, I fear deep waters. Underwater levels where I can see far ahead are fine, but swimming on the surface without knowing what's under me is forever terrifying.

#119 Edited by GnaTSoL (791 posts) -

shop-keeper phobia and ghost-phobia.

#120 Posted by Karmosin (210 posts) -

I am really disturbed by giant ants. I don't know why, they freak me out more than spiders! In fallout 3 whenever I heard those clacking footsteps I'd get shivers and freak out, trying to find the source. And don't even mention earth defense force....

#121 Edited by RonGalaxy (2868 posts) -

I get tense when Im playing a game where its so dark you can barely see and your character is all by his or herself. It isnt so bad that I cant play those things, but it definitely makes me feel things I dont like to feel. Worst time I experienced something like that was The Last of Us when you get separated from Ellie after falling from an elevator shaft. I loathed coming up on that section each time I replayed the game.

Oh yeah, I have a very hard time playing horror games where you can't fight back. The uncertainty of escaping an enemy really fucks me up. I'd rather just murder it and know the issue is resolved. Main reason why I never finished amnesia.

Also, fuck the mirelurks from fallout 3. I fucking hate those enemies. I find crustaceans creepy as they are. Mutated ones make everything worse

#122 Posted by Blommer4 (191 posts) -

Deep, open water as mentioned by some people. Even as silly and in such a small scale like that Super Mario 64 level with a submarine and water in it. Just the fact that you HAVE to go down in the water, and there are something there, shark I think... Ugh, it's really hard to do. I usually can't controll myself enough to look at the game, so I tend to just go under, aim in at where I'm supposed to swim and close my eyes or look away. I can't stand open water in real life either, even a 1 meter deep lake is terrifying to me. Fucking water man, scary shit y'all.

#123 Edited by AlecOfTheWest (275 posts) -

@claude: I honestly kinda know what you're talking about, even if its a game I'm particularly good at.

Also, water monsters. It gets to the point I was even scared diving in GTA V, despite how grounded in reality (somewhat) that series is.

#124 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

@claude: I honestly kinda know what you're talking about, even if its a game I'm particularly good at.

Also, water monsters. It gets to the point I was even scared diving in GTA V, despite how grounded in reality (somewhat) that series is.

Still have the same problem. But I did play Wii Sports Club online. The bowling that is. It was fun and discreet. Just the way I like it.

#125 Posted by DeadpanCakes (792 posts) -

When I'm learning a new control scheme (like when I picked up mouse and keyboard for fps's for the first time) or wrestling with bad controls, I get super scared real easily. Which is why I don't think I will ever get through the original Resident Evil

#126 Posted by bigjeffrey (4775 posts) -

nah don't really don't recall anytime I've been scared at anything in a video game.

#127 Edited by Nodima (1102 posts) -

I don't get anywhere near the ocean in GTA V thanks to the sharks and how fucking dark it is under there. A friend of mine was jet skiing around and stumbled across a shark, first time I'd seen it in the game, and spent the next five minutes trying to figure out how to get eaten before killing it. I was terrified the entire time and I didn't even have the controller in my hand.

#128 Posted by Guesty_01 (339 posts) -

I really, really feel uncomfartable underwater in games, especially if it is dark and murky and visibility is low/air is an issue. It all started when I was 11 with a little game called EverQuest..... Or maybe it was Sonic The Hedgehog and that music when running out of air? Also, I get that really funny feeling in my stomach when I jump off a large cliff or anything, it's almost as if it's me that's jumping off in real life lol

#129 Edited by SunBroZak (1016 posts) -

Seemingly empty houses/buildings really get to me. They're too quiet.

#130 Posted by ProfessorK (816 posts) -

I'm also on that deep water boat. I'm really afraid of being out in the ocean and some games get it down so well that fear creeps in while I'm having fun. Perfect example, AC4's ship battles. Some of the most fun I've had piloting a ship in a game, but every now and again, I get this chill down my spine when it's nighttime and i'm sailing.

#131 Posted by pyromagnestir (4240 posts) -

My social anxiety does carry over into playing online multiplayer games with strangers, or even fellow users of the site who I sorta have gotten to know. I will only play online mutliplayer if someone I am really comfortable with is playing.

#132 Posted by abara (225 posts) -

on the deep water tip, FUCK THAT ONE GIANT HOLE WITH THE STATUE AT THE BOTTOM IN FAR CRY 3

#133 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (263 posts) -

Dark caves, having to climb up something really tall, and deep water. I'm terrified of dark caves, heights, and monsters coming up and eating me. It's why I will never go swimming in the ocean.

#134 Posted by DonutFever (3549 posts) -

I can't figure out why today, but something about the Berserker from the first Gears of War scared the fuck out of me at the time.

#135 Posted by Yesiamaduck (899 posts) -

@mordukai:

@mordukai said:
@Geno: So games like System SHock 2 are out of the question for you? Stop being so shallow Geno. Games are not all about the graphics. Gameplay is what counts, that's why they are called games and not graphs.

Good thing Phobias aren't considered irrational otherwise you'd look quite the fool... oh wait

#136 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

Playing Shinobido 2 yesterday I learned I have a fear of bears that run faster than a ninja on their hind legs, drag their knuckles like gorillas, grab you by the ankle and make royalty free beast noises. It was the most unnatural thing I've seen in a video game in a while. Similarly the bonus mission in Medal of Honor: Underground where all the enemy soldiers were replaced with armed, dancing and barking German Shepherds freaked me out as a kid.