Do you judge people by looks before you meet them?

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Would you be the kind of person to judge someone before you get to know more about them or their background, by looking at them? Say if you started a new job, and your co-workers don't talk much for the first few days, would you maybe judge them by looking at their physical features and the way they act? Trying to think of an example here... Maybe a guy with long hair and a beard, would you immediately think he's into metal music and likes to go to concerts and drink lots of alcohol etc?

I sometimes find I do with some people. It's not exactly the best thing to do, as people try not to judge a book by its cover, but i think this is slightly different. Would you?

Dom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Dom

yup

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Hamz

Yes. Because it's human nature to make a snap judgement about someone within a few brief minutes of seeing or meeting them.

Hell I believe science has proven that within the first 10 seconds of seeing members of the opposite sex you've decided whether you'd sleep with them or foresee having kids with them. I mean if your subconscious can decide that quickly whether you're attracted to a person or not, I imagine you can instantly judge someone within minutes of meeting them as well ;)

Avatar image for killroycantkill
killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By killroycantkill

I know it's not right to but I do. Half the people I see in the mall I'm just like 'What a douche" for no reason.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

I think we all size someone up before we actually meet them whether we want to admit it or not.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By eroticfishcake

All the time. Funny how you ask since when I first met you I thought "He looks Canadian...". Must be your clothes. I'm a very judgemental person but I'm always polite to them and know about them more before I make any proper judgement on them.

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By Siphillis

Both a victim and a perpetrator.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Romination

I'm actually usually right. My snap decisions are a bit less 'snappy' than other people's

blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By blair

Fuck yes.  I judge people on a number of levels based on a range of factors.  I'm quite a shallow person in general but I tend to gauge people quite accurately.  I'm an effective people-watcher.  'Judging' people is a fairly valuable asset in life, and its usefulness is especially invaluable in business (my field).

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#10  Edited By Vinchenzo

Yes.

Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Noodles
@Killroycantkill said:
" I know it's not right to but I do. Half the people I see in the mall I'm just like 'What a douche" for no reason. "
Pretty much this. Sometimes I'll make a snap judgement of someone and be completely wrong about them (and feel bad because of it). But, I suppose that is human nature.
CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CornontheCobbe
@Blair said:
" Fuck yes.  I judge people on a number of levels based on a range of factors.  I'm quite a shallow person in general but I tend to gauge people quite accurately.  I'm an effective people-watcher.  'Judging' people is a fairly valuable asset in life, and its usefulness is especially invaluable in business (my field). "
Hmmm.. interesting. Why is it so useful in business may i ask? Would you be talking about someone who knows his stuff and is a good businessman, can make sales, but looks like a typical drug-dealer? Would he be looked upon as someone who does not have a clue because of the way he looks?
frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By frankfartmouth

Of course. That's a pyschologically necessary thing to do. If you didn't, you'd go apeshit trying to filter the world one piece at a time. It's when prejudices and stereotypes become systemic and unmoveable--when after time, the individual in front of you can't get through those filters--that it becomes a problem
zam1524

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By zam1524

Yes I do, and I'm pretty much right most of the time.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hourai

Doesn't everybody?

Avatar image for organicalistic_
Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Organicalistic_
@Romination said:
" I'm actually usually right. My snap decisions are a bit less 'snappy' than other people's "
mine too
SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By SonicFire

Yes, it's more or less a natural response. Think about it...if you see a guy wearing three pink/pastel polo shirts, all with collars popped, you're probably going to think "douchebag." Likewise, if you go to a gamestore and see the 300 pound nerd with skin problems and no hygeine, you're probably not going to think "man, that's a guy I want to talk to." 

The reality may be different. But hey it's human nature. As for me, I can sometimes look like I fell off the cast of Jersey Shore, but those people disgust me.
Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Romination
@organicalistic_ said:
" @Romination said:
" I'm actually usually right. My snap decisions are a bit less 'snappy' than other people's "
mine too "
that makes me judge you
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By Snail

Yes. It's especially easy and tempting to do so with teenagers these days.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#20  Edited By sjschmidt93

Yeah... all the time. And I think you just described jakob. =-)

Godlovesugly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Godlovesugly

No I did not and now I'm dead!
How was I supposed to know that a blood soaked man in a prison uniform holding an axe in one hand and a decapitated head in the other would cause my untimely death?

Feser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Feser

I will stare at someone and profile them. Then I will procede to make random conversation that is designed to reveal whether or not I am right.
CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CornontheCobbe
@SJSchmidt93: Hehehe... yeah i probably did. No offense Jakob! We love you.
blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By blair

@CornontheCobbe said:

" @Blair said:

" Fuck yes.  I judge people on a number of levels based on a range of factors.  I'm quite a shallow person in general but I tend to gauge people quite accurately.  I'm an effective people-watcher.  'Judging' people is a fairly valuable asset in life, and its usefulness is especially invaluable in business (my field). "
Hmmm.. interesting. Why is it so useful in business may i ask? Would you be talking about someone who knows his stuff and is a good businessman, can make sales, but looks like a typical drug-dealer? Would he be looked upon as someone who does not have a clue because of the way he looks? "
Well, I'm not sure I fully understand your question.  If you're asking if I think ones objective looks affect the way people subjectively interpret them?  The answer is yes, obviously.  Dress/style, looks and mannerisms are all vital indicators of character to analytical thinkers and people-watchers. 
Zajtalan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Zajtalan

yes but i wish i didnt because i hate it

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CornontheCobbe
@Blair: Yes, I must apologize I phrased the question quite unclear.

Yeah, that was basically what I was asking. : )
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jimbo

Just assume everybody is a dick as soon as you meet them.  That way you can't be disappointed, and very, very occasionally, you will be pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheHT

Judge? I'll judge the way they look sure, but to infer anything about the person they are is stupid.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TwoOneFive

i think for the most part yes. if you are dressed like a fucking slob i'll think, yeah he's a fucking slob. shit like that. so yeah i do. 

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By sickVisionz

Yes.  I can recognize that the snap judgement might be completely bogus, but I still made one.

Juno500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By Juno500

Everybody does, whether they realize it or not.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Hot_Karl

Of course. We're a visual species. What looks attractive (by that I mean "attraction", not if someone is "hot" or "ugly" or whatever) to us will make us think about what qualities we'd connotate with said person.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By Blackout62

Yes.

leviathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By leviathan

Yup, do it all the time. "LOL, look at that loser", "WOW, that guy looks like a douche", "Haha, that guy is trying too hard, he thinks he's so cool"

Avatar image for aperturesilence
ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ApertureSilence

If you answered no, you're a liar.

HODGEY3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By HODGEY3000

its hard not to
rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#37  Edited By rjayb89

Yes, I helped a chick out with her car engine once right after I checked her out.  Hadn't she been hot, I probably wouldn't have helped.

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Bionicicide

I think it's natural to profile (a trait picked up for human survival), but not politically correct.

mshaw006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mshaw006
@Siphillis said:
" Both a victim and a perpetrator. "
As are we all. Well put.
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, it's pretty much human nature to make a judgment of people based on any interactions with them.  I don't just count out people that I judge to be the kind of person I wouldn't hang out with though until I actually get to know them.  I wouldn't have made two of my best friends if I did that.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#41  Edited By oldschool

I think we all do in varying degrees and how varies with the person.  I see a Nordic Rock fan and I know what he is into and am not concerned, whereas other see the devil - stuff like that.  If I see a girl with way too much skin exposed, I assume she is a slut and probably stupid - most times I am right. 

The important thing is to keep an open mind and not judge too much and allow their personality to complete the image.

Lawrens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Lawrens

Depend how he looks, if he looks like marilyn manson and wearing make up then I'd expect him to act a little bit different than a normal person, but I wouldn't "judge" him as good or bad.

And depend why you're meeting the person.