• 69 results
#1 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

#2 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

What do you do when you get a new video game console, do you keep the box or chuck it out?

I used to keep them all, but now I treasure space so much that I just recycle them.

#3 Posted by JJOR64 (19071 posts) -

I wish I still had my older ones. The oldest one I have is for my Gamecube. :/

#4 Posted by Inkerman (1455 posts) -

Yeah, I keep the console in there if I'm moving it around or not using it for long periods of time.

#5 Edited by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

Yup. Best way to store and move a console without damaging it. Same with my flatscreen.

#6 Posted by Genkkaku (738 posts) -

I move a lot so they're convenient to pack the consoles in..

#7 Posted by Beforet (2934 posts) -

What else am I gonna use when moving to and from college?

#8 Posted by forkboy (1176 posts) -

My first 3 consoles were all bought second hand (Master System, Mega Drive, Playstation) so no boxes for them. No boxes for Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, or GBA, or DS actually. Doubt I still have the Gamecube box & I'm sure the 360 box didn't make it when I moved.

So no, I don't think I've kept a single console box. They take up a lot of room.

#9 Edited by impartialgecko (1689 posts) -

I keep console piles, drawers and debris. But boxes? They're too big.

#10 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I suppose I have never moved since I was like 3 so I have not had the need to move any consoles around. When I do move out at one point, I'm far more worried about moving my LEGO things, fuck that shit!

#11 Posted by Chops037 (22 posts) -

I've still got my N64, Playstation 2 (Gran Turismo 3 version), Gamecube (Windwaker version, which is just a sleeve for the box really) & X360 boxes.

Sadly I no longer have the box for my SNES (the Street Fighter 2: Turbo one). If it's possible to miss a box, that's the one I miss :(

#12 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11421 posts) -

I still have the last few. Some of the older ones got lost over the years (especially when I had to move), but I think I have most of them.

#13 Posted by JonathanAshleyMoore (283 posts) -

I'm lucky that my Grandparents garage is not used, so they let me keep my stuff in there. There's a lot and yeah, a lot of it is video game stuff still packed in their boxes.

#14 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

I used to, but pretty recently even got rid of my NES box. Now I just keep the most recent ones in case I need to ship the console for repair.

#15 Posted by Fallen189 (5052 posts) -

No. When you own your own place, physical space is a premium I cant afford to stifle with a cardboard box

#16 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (634 posts) -

Yes, always.

#17 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (850 posts) -

I do indeed.

#18 Posted by supamon (1334 posts) -

Yeah I keep them all in a cupboard. Where else am I going to keep the console when I'm done with it and want to make space for the next new console?

#19 Posted by Happenstance (469 posts) -

I have kept all my current console boxes but never did with the older ones, kind of wish I had now.

#20 Posted by MideonNViscera (2252 posts) -

Depends. My first 360 was secondhand and came in a generic white box, so no. My newest 360 is the Gears 3 one, and the box is perfect for moving it, so yeah. I definitely didn't keep any box before that one though, so I voted no.

#21 Posted by AlisterCat (5736 posts) -

I couldn't throw them away. The only I don't have is for my Sega Megadrive, and I think I threw away the dreamcast box since it was destroyed.

#22 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

Yup. Best way to store and move a console without damaging it. Same with my flatscreen.

Agreed. Most carrying bags/cases are big and cumbersome. The retail boxes are made to pack it all in as small a package as possible. My 360's box fell apart from how much I used it to transport that thing around.

#23 Posted by SMTDante89 (2588 posts) -

Used to but those suckers start to take up space the more you get and so now they are used as boxes for storage or we get rid of them. Still have my Vita box though, just haven't gotten around to doing something with it.

#24 Posted by _Chad (960 posts) -

I have all the boxes for the consoles I've bought with my own money. It's only recent stuff 3 for Xboxes (1 of them is my friends with his old xbox because he didn't want his mom to know he bought a new xbox because she bitches about everything.) a PS3, Wii, Vita and 3DS.

#25 Posted by GunstarRed (5486 posts) -

Yes. I remember digging out my old PS2 box out from under my stairs. Went through a lot of effort to pack it in the box before trading it for my first 360. The dude in the shop opened it up checked the console and then asked me "why did you bother with the box?" and flattened it in front of me.

#26 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

I keep them. It may be a long time, but at some point I will move or retire the system and need a place to put everything. Having the box around means I can keep it all in one place and not need to worry about losing any of the parts should I want to hook them back up later. Eventually I can see that being an issue, but I only have the 360/PS3/Wii at the moment as up until recently I have always had to sell the previous generation to pay for the current one.

#27 Posted by JoeyRavn (4986 posts) -

I usually keep all the boxes of the electronic devices I buy. I throw them away when the device breaks, I sell it or I throw it away too, but not before.

#28 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

@GunstarRed said:

Yes. I remember digging out my old PS2 box out from under my stairs. Went through a lot of effort to pack it in the box before trading it for my first 360. The dude in the shop opened it up checked the console and then asked me "why did you bother with the box?" and flattened it in front of me.

That man is a monster. I hope you reported him to the police.

#29 Posted by buft (3320 posts) -

After so many bad console experiences on PS2 a few years back i have the policy to always keep the box so that returning the console does not become an issue.

#30 Posted by cclemon36 (181 posts) -

As others have said, it comes in handy when moving. I've also fashioned a leg rest from my ps3 box and a book. Better than IKEA? ...no, it's quite horrible, actually.

I use them to store unused cables, as well.

#31 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

When I am not using a console I just leave it loose in a draw or cupboard, all my SNES and N64 carts are also loose just rolling around in a draw.

Funny thing is none of my consoles or carts have ever been broken or stopped working, I've treated my N64 like this since it launched and still works fine!

#32 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

i do. just for moving purposes

#33 Posted by laserbolts (5372 posts) -

Yeah just in case I move.

#34 Posted by AndrewB (7691 posts) -

I have storage tubs where I'm keeping my game boxes. I migrated the discs to my big book of game discs. Makes it easier to swap games and browse when I'm just looking for a random game to kill time.

#35 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -

Yes, always.

#36 Posted by fugie7 (1109 posts) -

yes.

#37 Posted by Empirepaintball (1397 posts) -

I always keep my console boxes, though I'm honestly not quite sure why. Maybe it's just the novelty of it...

#38 Posted by Labman (288 posts) -

Usually...yes. But when I was younger, my parents would eventually end up throwing them away. "What do you need with an empty box? It's just taking up space." my Dad would say before chucking it in the trash. *sigh*

#39 Posted by Zekhariah (695 posts) -

I usually keep them. Thinking about it is making me feel guilty, and imagine that I'm only doing it out of laziness though.

Its not like it is that much space though...

#40 Posted by triple07 (1198 posts) -

Yup. Not really sure why but I do. Of course now that I live on my own this may change but I still have a bunch of old console boxes at my parents house.

#41 Posted by M_Shini (551 posts) -

My psvita and 3ds box's are on my shelf, although i will get rid of them the next time i do a room clean up when i get rid of stuff that takes up needless room like my ps3 and 360 box's, so yes and no.

#42 Posted by Marino (4768 posts) -

Yup.

Staff
#43 Posted by blessey (22 posts) -

Yeah, I always keep them. Easier to move them in their original box.

#44 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

Some of them. For example I have a complete NES Action Set with the box. But I didn't keep anything recent, since it has no real sympathetic value.

#45 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1671 posts) -

I always like to keep my boxes, it's kind of a habit. Actually I found my old psp box with all the manuals and such about two years after I sold it... It made me laugh since I just threw it away and put the psv box in its place...

#46 Posted by 49th (2853 posts) -

I kept my PS2 box for 7 years or whatever and now I use it to store the console and some games.

Think I might have my PS3 box also, Wii box is long gone though.

#47 Posted by AjayRaz (12477 posts) -

yup i keep em. in fact, for a while i was using my 360 box as a bedside table for some reason. worked surprisingly well

#48 Posted by MHumphreys89 (724 posts) -

Yes, well after their warranties are up, I chalk it up to my, mild, O.C.D. Another weird habit I have is washing my hands before touching my games or using my controllers.

P.S. I don't actually have O.C.D., however, I can be a bit of a perfectionist/clean-freak.

#49 Posted by EpicSteve (6499 posts) -

It's nice to have for nostalgia, but I don't have room for that shit.

#50 Posted by That1BlackGuy (216 posts) -

I still have the box for my recently bought PS2, and I think I have a PS3 box laying around somewhere. Typically, my console boxes ends up getting thrown away by someone else most the time; they make for good storage if you have the space.