Do you know anyone that hardly buys games?

• 58 results
CodyMetro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By CodyMetro

What I mean by hardly buy games, as in do they like video games but never feel the need to buy a lot of them? For example, are they pretty much content with the games they have for about 4 months or so before buying anything new? Do you know anyone with a very small gaming collection?

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Enigma777

You mean like casual gamers? If so, yes. Lots of them.

CodyMetro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By CodyMetro
@Enigma777 said:

You mean like casual gamers? If so, yes. Lots of them.

I don't know. Are they casual gamers if the only games they have are games that "hardcore" gamers play?
Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Hot_Karl

Compared to people on these forums who I talk to, who buy just about every single big release on a weekly basis, I "hardly" buy games. Hell, the first brand-new game I bought this year was Duke Nukem Forever. Last game I got before that was Rock Band 3 as a Christmas gift.

FrankWeidner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By FrankWeidner

I fit your description, Cody, but not because I don't WANT to be buying games. You see, sometimes gamers are poor as fuck, like I am, and buying games regularly would mean eating less often or not having gas in my car to drive to work.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Claude

My brother bought a Wii after playing a PS1 for years. He has shit for games.

pochunki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By pochunki

I have a ton of games, but it's taken me forever to amass all of them. And when I buy a game, I usually want to make sure I can get TONS of entertainment and replay value from them.

For instance (this was a ways back), Saints Row 2 went on sale on Steam and it took me forever to justify to myself that I should buy it. I had fond memories of dicking around when I borrowed a 360 copy of it from a friend, and I wanted to have some more Saints Row. I bought the game for the whopping total of $7.50, and even though it is the worst goddamn piece of shit excuse for a port I have ever seen, I have still spent 100+ hours with that game.

I tend to buy open-world games, but that doesn't mean I don't like solid linear games too. I'll make exceptions for games that I know I'm just going to have a blast with, even if the ride is short by comparison to other games I've played. Examples are things like Portal 2 and Trenched, which I just bought today. I don't think it will last me that long, but I really want to see what that game has to offer.

My game purchases are still really spread out, and I like to watch Quick Looks to keep up on my knowledge of current games (at least a little bit). That way, I can know at least a little if someone wants to talk to me about a game.

All in all, I guess I just tend to gravitate towards games that will keep me entertained for a long, long time. RPGs, open-world sandboxy games, MMOs, that kind of thing. Gotta get the most bang for your buck!

pochunki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pochunki

@Claude: Was he attempting to go through the entire PS1 catalog? That's sort of an amazing achievement.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By dagas

I have a friend who bought a PS3 on launch and only have NHL09, some Dynasty Warriors game and FF13 (he might have one or two more games not sure. I think he's got an F1 game). He doesn't buy many games, but he really plays the games he's got. Last I heard he was replaying FF13 to get all the trophies. Might seem strange to some to buy so few games, but he think that I'm strange for buying so many games that I hardly play. And it's not a question of money, because he's got more money than I.

Kibblez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By Kibblez

I don't fit the OP's description, but since I use LOVEFiLM, I hardly ever buy any games. I tend to buy the stuff I know I'm going to love, which is why I bought LA Noire, Halo Reach, Red Dead, etc.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Yep! My friend who has a wife and kid (and a job) focuses his time on StarCraft II and the occasional big release like God of War III or Mortal Kombat.

oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oatz

Myself. I haven't bought a game in a year. I don't care enough. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@oatz said:
Myself. I have bought a game in a year. I don't care enough. 
Same here. Aside from the occasional steam deal and GOG shenanigans I bought only one full-price game this year. Other then that, I am patiently waiting for good deals on some specific games (e. g. Dead Space 2, Witcher 2).
geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By geirr

Much to my girlfriend's and my economy's happiness, since I discovered Giant Bomb back in '08

Quick Looks have actually relieved my horrible game buying sprees as they somehow scratch my curiosity itch;

something reviews never really did for me since they always felt overly edited.

So I end up buying a 2-3 big releases a year, and perhaps a few small downloadable titles on Steam.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Sambambo

Most people I know don't really buy many games, be it for monetary reasons or because they are just casual games and content with 3 games a year.

Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Portis

You mean me?

I've had my share of game-buying-sprees but for the most part I go months without buying a new game. Last new game I bought was BRINK well over a month ago, and I don't plan on buying anything else until October. Though Solar 2 looks pretty fun...

I used to buy a lot more before Quick Looks were a thing, by the way.

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By craigbo180
@CodyMetro: That is how the majority of my friends buy games.
mozzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mozzle

On average I buy about to games a year. I love playing, but it's more of a time and money sort of thing. Married now, and before that it was saving up so that I could be married.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've always had small collections. I have maybe 20 games for my N64 and Gamecube each, and perhaps 12 for my Wii. I buy a new PC game almost every month, though. Be it big releases like The Witcher 2 or small downloadable games like Monday Night Combat and Section 8: Prejudice.

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By unchained

I buy a lot of games, but there will be times (like this summer, until Deus Ex is released in late August) where I won't buy anything for months. And while I buy a lot of games, I usually trade in a big chunk of them after a month keeping my collection to only the games I truly love.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Cold_Wolven

I have a friend who has pretty much lived off Heroes of Newerth for for 2 years because he doesn't have a job. I use to be jealous of his N64 collection as all I had was a shitty computer back in the late 90's but can't say I'm jealous now.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Buscemi

I mean, I hardly ever buy games. I find that I've been lacking the interest the latest... Oh, I don't know, one or two years. Every once in a while I buy a Mass Effect game, or a Blizzard game, yeah mostly it's games from companies I know will give me a great experience. I seldom buy games on a hunch.

Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Muttinus_Rump

Me.

JoeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By JoeH

Yea I know a few people who just play Team Fortress 2. And that's it. For the past 4 years. They scare me...

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By ajamafalous

You mean me?

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By zeforgotten

My mom and my dad buy a very tiny amount of games each year, then they just borrow mine

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By emergency

My brother buys a game like once every year and it's probably COD. He can't really afford much else, but he does enjoy other games like AC, Red Dead etc. that I lend him.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#28  Edited By Hizang

My friend has only Call of Duty Black Ops for the PS3 and thats it

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By sameeeeam

My roommate owns a PS3 and a 360, but not a single game. He borrows them from me.

CodyMetro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CodyMetro
@Titus said:
I mean, I hardly ever buy games. I find that I've been lacking the interest the latest... Oh, I don't know, one or two years. Every once in a while I buy a Mass Effect game, or a Blizzard game, yeah mostly it's games from companies I know will give me a great experience. I seldom buy games on a hunch.
 I will more than likely be heading down a similar route soon. I've been more interested in getting in shape lately then really playing many games.
Colin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By Colin

I'm kind of that person, I used to buy games weekly, but now of days I don't buy games at all,  last game I bought was Starcraft 2 and that was 3 months ago, before that it was a few games packs during Steams Christmas sale.  I just watch "let's plays" of games now of  days ;\  Next game I actually want to buy is Guild Wars 2.

Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Loose

Over the past few years I've only been purchasing a handful of games each year. I feel like games are a fairly expensive form of entertainment (both in terms of time and money) and I spend a fair bit of time/money on music so I prefer to buy only games that I really want (which has included Infamous 2, LA Noire and Portal 2 so far this year). A lot of my friends are avid "gamers" though who buy more games than I do, so I'm occasionally able to borrow single-player games from them once they've completed them or, of course, play multiplayer games with them whenever we get a chance to hang out. I'd really like to buy more games, I really would, but I have trouble justifying spending a lot of money/time on games.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By penguindust
@CodyMetro said:

...For example, are they pretty much content with the games they have for about 4 months or so before buying anything new?...

One game every 4 months is that unusual?  Since the 360 came out in late 2005, I'd guess someone could have have acquired 17 games for the console since then.  The PS3 came out a year later so someone could have picked up as many as 14 games by now.  So someone with both could have over 30 games, but if we assume they just bought one for either console they'd still be at 17 or so in their collection.  I think that might be more average than we enthusiasts perceive.  I could live quite comfortably on 3 games per year I think.  Hell, I did so with less when one of them was World of Warcraft.  Today I don't buy more than 5 console games per year because I don't need more than that.  I have enough trouble finishing the ones I currently have let alone buying more.  As I look at the calendar, I don't see myself purchasing anything before November...maybe Deus Ex, but I could wait on that one.  Skyrim and Uncharted 3 are the only titles that really interest me enough to smack down $60.  Where I waver are Steam sales because I can get a pile of stuff for the price of one console game.
oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By oraknabo

It takes a LOT for me to pay full price for any game. I usually buy Rockstar & Valve stuff at full price because you always get you money's worth with them, but I'd say 75% of my 360 games are used or I waited for them to get marked down below $30. On top of that I have a list of games that I never got around to getting even though some are less than $20 now. I'll probably be getting Deus Ex full price, but I can't think of anything else this year I'm willing to do that with.  

So, yeah, I probably only buy about 5 a year and only 2 or 3 at launch.

I find it funny how many people buy everything full price and then always have a pile of unplayed games sitting around. By the time they finally get to most games, their prices have dropped in the stores.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By haggis

Based on my experience, I think quite a few gamers only buy a handful of games per year, something like three or four. I probably only pick up about five or six, and most of my friends think I'm pretty hardcore about it. I know better. Out of a circle of about twenty friends who play games, I'd say that half of them buy two games a year on average (usually a Call of Duty, and then something like Assassin's Creed or Mass Effect). And I also think most of us buy games and play them, but don't "collect" them. I rarely have more than six or seven games on my shelf at any one time since I trade them in when I'm done. Nearly everyone I know who plays games does this. No friends of mine collect them to keep.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Vexxan

I have friends who buy COD each year and pirate every other game they want to play.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By Brendan

I know plenty.

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Djeffers03

Yep that's me these days. But I wouldn't really consider myself a casual gamer, I still go to GB every day, watch all their vids and stuff like that, it's just I can't be bothered to spend my money on them anymore. The last game I bought was EA MMA which I bought at christmas where as a year or two ago I would spend all my money exclusively on games and get a new one once a month or so.  

If I get a gaming PC things will change though.

Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Shabs

I fit that description. I don't buy many full-priced AAA games. (I'll buy downloadable stuff usually on sale though.)

This year, I bought Portal 2 and Child of Eden for full price.

It's not a money issue... I just want to fully enjoy what I'm purchasing and I won't buy something preemptively unless I have time to play it. Hell, I'm still playing Mass Effect 2 because it's still fun and I bought that the day it came out.

Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Shabs

@JoeH said:

Yea I know a few people who just play Team Fortress 2. And that's it. For the past 4 years. They scare me...

TF2 has been my primary game for the past 4 years. If I'm going to play a multiplayer game, I might as well play the best one.

I'm currently bored of it, but when that happens I take a break and come back to it and it's still fun.

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BombKareshi

My cousin, mostly because he pirates most of his games.

Personally, I avoid that kind of thing as far as possible, but guiding others onto the straight and narrow is a challenging task indeed (especially when they are students with no real income).

wormz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By wormz

I know some people who only play CoD and every GTA, but nothing else. And they don't play those casually, CoD like many hours every day in crazy clans.

TanoPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TanoPrime

Gamefly handles my gaming needs.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#44  Edited By EpicSteve

You seem severally out of touch with the average person's videogame habits. People like you and me who play new releases and post on forums are an extreme minority. You'd be surprised how many people aren't even aware of services such as XBLA and using Netflix on consoles. The bulk of consumers buy a console to play a handful of titles, and maybe buy a few used games here and there. Average Joe shops at GameStop once every three months or so and buys a used game. Most people I know who play games are into a few specific titles, THey aren't interested in reading reviews, checking out innovative games like Braid or LA Noire, they just want to shoot dudes in Halo.

CodyMetro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By CodyMetro
@EpicSteve said:

You seem severally out of touch with the average person's videogame habits. People like you and me who play new releases and post on forums are an extreme minority. You'd be surprised how many people aren't even aware of services such as XBLA and using Netflix on consoles. The bulk of consumers buy a console to play a handful of titles, and maybe buy a few used games here and there. Average Joe shops at GameStop once every three months or so and buys a used game. Most people I know who play games are into a few specific titles, THey aren't interested in reading reviews, checking out innovative games like Braid or LA Noire, they just want to shoot dudes in Halo.

That is pretty surprising about the average person not even knowing about XBLA or probably even Netflix and PSN on their consoles. Also, yeah I think I am severally out of touch. The internet makes the world seem pretty small. The internet makes it seem like almost all gamers play all of their games on the hardest difficulties, read reviews on websites and so fourth. Good post btw.
CodyMetro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By CodyMetro
@Shuborno said:

@JoeH said:

TF2 has been my primary game for the past 4 years. If I'm going to play a multiplayer game, I might as well play the best one.

I'm currently bored of it, but when that happens I take a break and come back to it and it's still fun.

Lol I am the same way with TF2. It really is probably my favorite multiplayer game right now, it use to be Diablo and Diablo 2 when they were new. But about your other post, that inspires me to cut down on my buying games even more. I want to enjoy them to the best of my ability. I need to get out of the marketing thinking that I have to have something when its new just because its "new and hip" mentality.  Although I rarely do that anymore, I still do it if the game is at least 3 months old now a days.
pochunki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By pochunki

@Portis: as ham-fisted as I am with money, Solar 2 is pretty worth it. I've already spent 11 hours running around in that game and interacting with the universe. If you're the kind of person that loves to mess around in open-world environments and make a lot of your own fun by trying to do dumb stuff, it's a really great game for that.

Also, the missions are hard! So that should keep you going for a while.

Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Shabs

@CodyMetro said:

I need to get out of the marketing thinking that I have to have something when its new just because its "new and hip" mentality. Although I rarely do that anymore, I still do it if the game is at least 3 months old now a days.

I've been trying to break myself of this mentality and I think it's worked.

This is why it's 2011 and I'm still looking forward to finishing off the two remaining Mass Effect 2 DLCs I haven't played. If I haven't played it, it's new to me...

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#49  Edited By Little_Socrates

I have two friends like that; one of them is just very specific about which games he enjoys and the other would rather spend his money on guitars, guitar equipment, record players, and vinyl.

ConstantRa1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ConstantRa1n

Myself. Why would I waste my money on garbage games. I enjoy maybe three new games a year. 90% of games aren't worth buying.