• 76 results
Edited 1 year, 4 months ago

Poll: Do you know how to swim? (278 votes)

Yes 87%
No 13%

I'm 21 and I don't know how to swim. It's not because I am afraid of water per se, but because I find it disgusting to go in a place where other people are/have been swimming. I do have OCD though, so that may be the reason.

#51 Posted by isomeri (1225 posts) -

I've spent my childhood at an island so I learned to swim reasonably well. Public pools are kind of boring and often pretty gross, but I love swimming in the sea or in a clean lake.

#52 Edited by Village_Guy (2501 posts) -

I can swim, not very well, but enough to keep me from drowning. So I'm good enough in that regard.

But I kinda have a fear of deep water, so I don't swim a lot.

#53 Edited by Geralt (316 posts) -

Almost every "End of the world" scenarios require you to be able to swim. Get on it!

#54 Posted by Vexxan (4615 posts) -

Yes! Swimming lessons in Sweden were mandatory(and probably still are?) when I was in first grade and you had to keep going on those until you passed.

#55 Edited by AndrewB (7500 posts) -

I just never do it it anymore out of modesty and wanting to swim in a quiet, isolated environment, but I love swimming. I was deathly afraid of it as a little kid, but water wings go a long ways.

#56 Posted by UlquioKani (1029 posts) -

Yes I can. I have a friend who can't swim and I enjoy making fun of him.

#57 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2495 posts) -

@haffy said:

lol swimming is important to survival? Fuck CPR, being able to find food, water, navigation or shelter. Gots to learn to swim first!

Finding food, etc, are fantastic when you're out in the wilderness on your own, I agree.

However, I'd argue that being able to swim well when going to the beach is a thing people do every couple of weeks (like here in Sydney, Australia) is more important by far, since rips and currents are very easy (and terrifying) ways to die.

It's all frequency vs. lethality, I guess.

#58 Posted by John1912 (1831 posts) -

Doggy Paddle cause I'm too lazy

Thats prob the most work intensive way to swim LOL.....Spaz out to tread water or move at .1 mile per hour.

#59 Edited by Icemael (6312 posts) -

I can stay afloat and slowly move forward with clumsy breaststrokes. I used to be pretty good at swimming but after almost a decade of barely doing it those skills are gone. It's literally been years since the last time I was in water deep enough that it'd even be possible to swim.

#60 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

Yes but only in short bursts, I get tired quickly and start swallowing water.

Fuck I hate swimming.

#61 Posted by RandomHero666 (3181 posts) -

I'm almost 24 and can't swim, I took swimming lessons in school but just.. never got it. Almost drowning a few times in my life didn't really help that.

I don't plan on ever entering water deep enough to drown me though, even if I live on a tiny island, Beside a river.

#62 Edited by Azteck (7449 posts) -

Surprisingly large number of people who can't swim actually. Thought it was one of those things everyone learned at one point or another, like riding a bicycle.

#63 Edited by JackSukeru (5904 posts) -

I'm not very good at it, but yea I can get around in deep water.

#64 Edited by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

I was able to swim pretty much from being a toddler.

However, on the flip side, I'm now 32 and still don't hold a driver's license.

#65 Edited by Pikawai (135 posts) -

I do know how to swim, I don't have a lot of stamina tho.

#66 Posted by haffy (673 posts) -

@haffy said:

lol swimming is important to survival? Fuck CPR, being able to find food, water, navigation or shelter. Gots to learn to swim first!

Finding food, etc, are fantastic when you're out in the wilderness on your own, I agree.

However, I'd argue that being able to swim well when going to the beach is a thing people do every couple of weeks (like here in Sydney, Australia) is more important by far, since rips and currents are very easy (and terrifying) ways to die.

It's all frequency vs. lethality, I guess.

Yeah fair point. Not really much point in going to the beach here except a few days of the year, so kind of hard to find places to drown.

#67 Edited by NegativeCero (2976 posts) -

I don't and I kind of hate not knowing how. If nothing else being able to would be a good workout.

#68 Posted by laserbolts (5313 posts) -

Yeah I love swimming. It is an amazing and genuinely enjoyable way to get exercise. I prefer swimming in a river or lake over a pool. Also the ocean if there are no jellyfish or sharks. I use to swim across some deep ocean when I was a kid but im not sure if I would do it now.

#69 Posted by Sweep (8823 posts) -

I swim through a pool of your mothers tears.

#70 Edited by Max_Cherry (1131 posts) -

I also have OCD, but I know how to swim. It actually saved my life more than once. Protip: Don't stand at the back of giant sand bars.

#71 Posted by espm400 (106 posts) -

I learned to swim at a very young age, and although I don't do it very much these days (if I'm in the water, I very much prefer being on something with a rather large engine attached), I think it's amongst a certain skill set that everyone should have. Since I was a kid I've always elected to go for any variety of courses that could, in certain circumstances save my or someone else's life. Chief among them CPR, First Aid, and Survival Training. The first aid in particular comes in handy seeing as I hike by myself a lot. Given that not everyone will use these skills, but I tend to think of it this way; wouldn't you rather have a certain skill and not need it, or need it and not have it?

#72 Edited by BabyChooChoo (4292 posts) -

Yes. I learned how to swim when I was pretty young. I'm not even sure when exactly, but I think I was like 11 or 12 or something. I couldn't swim at first obviously, but one day said fuck it, jumped off the diving board, and hoped I could make my way back to the surface.

I didn't. I'm dead and now I'm a ghost who haunts the giant bomb forums.

#73 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I am able to flail about in such a way that prevents me from drowning.

#74 Posted by Scrawnto (2434 posts) -

Yes, but not terribly well and probably not for very long. I'm a skinny bastard, which makes it difficult to stay afloat without using a lot of energy, and I'm bad at keeping water from going up my nose. My eyes also get really red and burn like hell if chlorinated water gets in them. I also really don't like being in bodies of water where I can't see the bottom.

It's probably not surprising that I don't swim very often.

#75 Edited by TVippy (19 posts) -

You're asking basement dwellers if they can swim...

#76 Posted by Rebel_Scum (640 posts) -

^^ lol.

I think everyone should learn to swim. It could possibly save your life but for me its fun. Love nothing more than going to the beach and body surfing.

Can't believe the amount of ignorance regarding pools here. Whilst I don't prefer them (no waves) they do use chlorine to keep them clean.

#77 Posted by Matthew (1911 posts) -

I play/ed water polo, so yeah. Also, parents had me in those infant/toddler swim classes. I'm pretty chill around the water.

#78 Edited by iam3green (14390 posts) -

yes, i know how to swim.