Do you like playing multiplayer?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

Poll Do you like playing multiplayer? (35 votes)

Yeah! 80%
Nay! 20%

With a next generation promising lots of multiplayer experiences from The Division, to Fable Legends and Deep Down, do you like them? Do you like playing multiplayer? Why? Why not?

• 
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Jeust

Personally I'm not fond of multiplayer. It detracts from the fun, when I have to watch for social conventions while I'm looking to immerse myself in a new world.

I understand the push for it, but personally I'll miss more and more single-player games.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I do.

Playing with or against other people can be enjoyable. Especially when I'm bored and just want to have fun.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

I love multiplayer.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By shadowchronicle

I like playing online with friends on games I really like but I never really spend much time on the multiplayer parts.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Fredchuckdave

I like multiplayer and am excellent at it, however the learning phase when I'm not as great is always much more fun than being good; at which point it just becomes doing the same thing over and over. Assassin's Creed multiplayer is the closest one to not getting boring over time and of course a lot of older games had a ton of replay value thanks to excellent communities (original Starcraft: Brood War, Unreal Tournament, Quake 3); but communities in general are becoming more idiotic and also just less creative and less skillful as we go along. This isn't due solely to aptitude but instead the design of the industry, youtube guides, e-sports, and the introduction of things like ubiquitous microphones as well as on the periphery things like Indy games drawing away any amount of creativity from most player bases. Basically aptitude is probably still there but is slowly being sapped away by conveniences that make people not have to critically think about how to approach problems and instead just copy what someone else is doing. AC still has a shit community compared to the aforementioned older games but the mechanics of the game itself are so solid and varied that it almost works out anyway.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Sure. I hate talking with people unless they're friends, though.

Wheady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Wheady

i like playing some MP every once and again but i dont ever play it for more than a week or so at a time. there are just so many other games to play for me to spend all my time with MP lol.

5Figh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By 5Figh

deep ends

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Yup. I just hate it when there is no systems in place to kick the dipshits that just scream into their mics or start screaming all their stupid hate talk. I find trash talking to be really dumb when it goes beyond simple things like a laugh or a "Ha ha I got ya." sort of attitude. When given the choice I prefer co-oping stuff over any kind of competitive aspect. Unless it's a L4D kind of game where it's a co-op vs co-op sort of thing.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

When I was in high school I played a ton of competitive multiplayer, but these days I'll take 20 hours of single player over 200 hours of multiplayer every time. I still do enjoy occasional competitive play and I am always down for cooperative. So my answer is "yes", I like multiplayer, but prefer single player.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best of times. Worst of times. However one thing is clear to me. Singleplayer experiences cannot soar to the emotional heights and levels of excitement and passion that a multiplayer game can.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

I'd say it depends on the game, but I can't remember the last time I played multiplayer. I'm sad like that.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@seppli said:

Best of times. Worst of times. However one thing is clear to me. Singleplayer experiences cannot soar to the emotional heights and levels of excitement and passion that a multiplayer game can.

I disagree. Single player and multiplayer each provide very different kinds of excitement and drama.

Singleplayer is like a film or book. It can be dramatic, emotional, and compelling in much the same ways that other forms of narrative can.

Multiplayer however, is like a sporting event. The kind of drama and excitement you experience from multiplayer games is much the same as what you feel while participating in or watching a live sporting event. 100% real and utterly unpredictable.

Both of these kinds of experiences have their merits, but I don't think they can really be compared to one another, because they are so different.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Single player games are always better with co-op.

jimmy_p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Used to play quake engine games with a team and now I'm trying to re-learn Counter-Strike.

But this new-gen "social multiplayer" is bland as fuck

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Seppli

@ll_exile_ll said:

@seppli said:

I disagree. Single player and multiplayer each provide very different kinds of excitement and drama.

Singleplayer is like a film or book. It can be dramatic, emotional, and compelling in much the same ways that other forms of narrative can.

Multiplayer however, is like a sporting event. The kind of drama and excitement you experience from multiplayer games is much the same as what you feel while participating in or watching a live sporting event. 100% real and utterly unpredictable.

Both of these kinds of experiences have their merits, but I don't think they can really be compared to one another, because they are so different.

Sure, but games like Dark Souls prove how multiplayer excitement can heighten singleplayer experiences. I stand by my statement. Gaming is better with online multiplayer. Even if it's just a tiny dash of it.

Just think of the potential of multiplayer in Watchdogs, and how it will impact your singleplayer experience. Adding multiplayer touches to singleplayer means that *Life Will Happen*.

P.S. Didn't get a notification that I got quoted. What's up with that?

chobobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like playing multiplayer, but for some reason after a while I start to get burnt-out since you are essentially doing the same thing over and over again within game. A multiplayer game for me has to provide some variety whether it be gameplay or story-related.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

Totally. One of my favorite aspects of gaming is doing stupid shit with my friends online.

Verendus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is nothing more pointless than single player in FPS games. Yes, I do enjoy multiplayer, especially with friends.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli: Bosses are way more exciting in Dark Souls than the multiplayer; in co-op it makes the boss easier and thus less interesting, in competitive you'll run into basically the same exact builds over and over and over. If the playerbase was creative then it'd be great, but it sure as hell isn't.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#22  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Sometimes...

The real issue is that when you don't have friends playing the same game you have to play with other people on the internet, and that sucks so often. But not always. Depends on the genre/game I guess.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on the environment. If we have a few PCs hooked up in the same room and I'm playing with people I know, then it's great.

I dislike online though. It's too impersonal and lately it's been invading my single player games.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By Klei

I like to play Multiplayer-oriented games. I heavily dislike playing Single-player games with the obligatory MP like Assassin's Creed. What I do love is SP games with an online integration, like Dark Souls and Dragon's Crown.