• 98 results
#1 Posted by Dogma (961 posts) -

What's up with all the "hate" for Quick Look EX? Is the main problem the name? Would it be better if it did not had "Quick look" in the name? Because I think it's really unfair to call EX for "ads" or "Schilling". I mean... it's a video preview BUT with much more commentary than you usually get when you for example do an interview with the developer at the same time. I much more prefer this instead of a written preview or an interview.

Some people are more on the message but I really don't have a problem with that. It's their product and they are giving the crew early access to it. They can do as they please. Giant Bomb is not loosing Quick Looks because of it's existance, they are rather getting more content instead. In most cases people like previews because you get to see a game before it's released. And on EX Looks you get to see quite an extensive amount too. This is nothing new for game sites.

Why do people have such a problem with this on Giant Bomb? As I said earlier. Would another name be better? Or would you really prefer that this content did not get up on the site? I think it would be a shame since some Quick Look EX can be really cool just as regular Quick Looks can be both hit and miss.

#2 Edited by Dogma (961 posts) -

I wrote this among the commentary in the "Mark of the Ninja" Qucik Look EX but I would really like to know peoples thoughts on Quick Look EX. It always seem to make people "angry". But in may cases it's the people that get upset that voice their opinion so I thought a poll could be in place. I made it easy with only to answers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's up with all the "hate" for Quick Look EX? Is the main problem the name? Would it be better if it did not had "Quick look" in the name? Because I think it's really unfair to call EX for "ads" or "Schilling". I mean... it's a video preview BUT with much more commentary than you usually get when you for example do an interview with the developer at the same time. I much more prefer this instead of a written preview or an interview.

Some people are more on the message than others but I really don't have a problem with that. It's their product and they are giving the crew and us early access to it. They can do as they please. Giant Bomb is not loosing Quick Looks because of it's existance, they are rather getting more content instead. In most cases people like previews because you get to see a game before it's released. And on EX Looks you get to see quite an extensive amount too. This is nothing new for game sites.

Why do people have such a problem with this on Giant Bomb? It at least looks like it based on the reactions they always get among the commentary. As I said earlier. Would another name be better? Or would you really prefer that this content did not get up on the site? I think it would be a shame since some Quick Look EX can be really cool just as regular Quick Looks can be both hit and miss.

#3 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I hate to say this, so don't bitch, but I generally don't enjoy them as much.

They often hold back from making jokes about the game if there doing a EX, also the guy explaining the game is usually boring. On a few occasions its actually a good video, but often than not I don't watch them.

#4 Posted by Bocam (3755 posts) -

I liked the Persona 4 Arena QLEX, the Catherine QLEX, and the Trenched QLEX. That's it

#5 Posted by buft (3317 posts) -

@Hizang said:

They often hold back from making jokes about the game if there doing a EX, also the guy explaining the game is usually boring. On a few occasions its actually a good video, but often than not I don't watch them.

quoted because thats exactly how i feel with a few exceptions

#6 Edited by Dogma (961 posts) -

@Hizang: I am not here to start a war. I only want to hear peoples opinions just like I presented mine. I feel like many commentarys may be direct knee jerk reactions that people write in the heat of the moment directed at that specific video instead of all EX videos. But that's just a theory. That's why I made this topic.

#7 Posted by Yummylee (21671 posts) -

They're generally pretty good. I'm sure there's been some misses, but then that's just like regular QL's. The most recent QLEX's have all been grand as well, like for Darksiders II, Mark of the Ninja, Primal Carnage and of course all of the EX's that involve Double Fine are truly something special.

#8 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@Dogma: Thats all I was doing, thats my opinion.

#9 Posted by laserbolts (5322 posts) -

I've never watched an entertaining one so fuck EX.

#10 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I can't like them, for I've never watched them.

#11 Posted by LethalKi11ler (1407 posts) -

@Hizang said:

Exactly this

#12 Posted by MiniPato (2741 posts) -

Eh not really. There are exceptions, but I would have really rather some quick looks like the P4 Arena one be a non EX quick look. While it is nice for them to learn every system about the game and all that, I feel it would have been a funnier and more enjoyable quick look without the Atlus guy.

#13 Edited by MEATBALL (3244 posts) -

I like Quick Look EXes, they often offer insight that the staff are just simply not going to have (and half the time will be more informative, even if you have to occasionally cut through some PR bs). What I don't like is when Giant Bomb decide that a Quick Look EX is enough. A Quick Look EX is not a substitute for a Quick Look. If it's something like Yar's Revenge it's not a big deal if it only gets a Quick Look EX, but bigger and/or better games should get a Quick Look proper.

#14 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

They're generally pretty good. I'm sure there's been some misses, but then that's just like regular QL's.

That's pretty much how I feel about them!

#15 Posted by Dogma (961 posts) -

@Hizang: Yup, that's what you did. I only wrote that because you wrote "so don't bitch". It was not my intent to get all up in arms about this. I wanted to point that out.

#16 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@Dogma: That was more for the community, I was sure that I would be the minority and be attacked by a number of screaming angry fans.

#17 Posted by Dogma (961 posts) -

@MEATBALL: That I can agree with. It seems to be the case with Darksiders 2 if I have understood things correctly. How many times have it happened though? That EX have resulted in canceled Quick Looks? Because yes, I would like to hear the crews more direct and unfiltered opinion about Darksiders 2 for example.

#18 Posted by Zaccheus (1794 posts) -

It all depends on the PR/developer. I think they are usually very informative, but not as funny as normal QLs, which sometimes seriously misrepresents the actual game. So it's kind of a toss up between fun and information. I think they have their place on the site.

#19 Posted by Dogma (961 posts) -

@Hizang said:

@Dogma: That was more for the community, I was sure that I would be the minority and be attacked by a number of screaming angry fans.

Ahhh...I see. A little missunderstanding by other words. it happens. :)

#20 Posted by Slag (4409 posts) -

I enjoy them ok but feel they probably should have a different name to make the distinction more clear. I've watched a couple by mistake thinking they were the other kind. Because they really are quite different in a couple fundamental ways

They are much more promotional than a Quick Look and your feelings are usually told to you by the company guy, as opposed the GB talking about how the games makes them feel. Plus there is definitely the feeling that company hides stuff. While you usually do see stuff you wouldn't see in a normal quick look, you are definitely seeing only what the company wants you to see.

Then of course there's also the fact the lead speaker is usually a company man, speaking sales pitch speak for thirty minutes or so.

It ends up feeling like an advertisement, instead of a unbiased true taste of the game.

Which isn't necessarily bad, as previews can be fun too, but I don't think that's what the GB crew has established Quick Looks to be.

#21 Posted by phrali (646 posts) -

no i dont like them. I want to hear what jeff and vinny and the rest honestly think about a game including the criticisms. I dont care what the devs intended or whatever, i care if a game is good or not and i dont trust devs to tell the truth. Clicking on an ex is like clicking on a banner ad.

#22 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

They're filled with way more information than a regular Quick Look because half the time, in a normal QL, the GB guys have no clue what the fuck they're talking about. 
I enjoy both kinds though. QLEX aren't my favorites if I just want dumb jokes over and over again. 

#23 Posted by Dogma (961 posts) -

@Slag said:

They are much more promotional than a Quick Look and your feelings are usually told to you by the company guy, as opposed the GB talking about how the games makes them feel. Plus there is definitely the feeling that company hides stuff. While you usually do see stuff you wouldn't see in a normal quick look, you are definitely seeing only what the company wants you to see.

This about hiding stuff. You have a point but isn't that the case with every piece of information we get before a games release? It's the same at a press event or a E3. They only show us a specific part. They show us what they want to show. I really don't have a problem with that a long as I know that that may be the case. It's just to go into the video with some kind of caution/BS filter and you're fine. ^^

#24 Posted by Vexxan (4621 posts) -

It varies, it works great when they are teamed up with pretty laid back developers but there's nothing worse than hearing the extra guy saying "We're pretty excited about that." over and over again.

#25 Posted by believer258 (11921 posts) -

@Hizang said:

This.

Quick Look EX's too often come close to being a sales pitch and they seem to lack the openness and frankness that makes this site so awesome. The jokes always feel half-hearted and there's always something a bit forced about them.

Do I think they are worthless? Absolutely not! However annoying the above is, most Quick Look EX's contain more information about the game in a shorter amount of time. This is what gives them their value; however, they are not as entertaining as regular Quick Looks where comments, jokes, and other tomfoolery runs abound.

#26 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

I've never watched an entertaining one so fuck EX.

What about the Double Fine kinect game on friday?

#27 Posted by IceColdGamer (605 posts) -

They're ok. I prefer the original gang but it obviously gets them more material to work with and a wider number of contacts in the industry.

#28 Posted by Fattony12000 (7424 posts) -

They're cool when they're cool.

#29 Posted by HarlechQuinn (449 posts) -

Most of the times I enjoy them... In the end it's the same like normal QLs, some of them are good, some of them not so much...

#30 Posted by BisonHero (6538 posts) -

@Hizang said:

This is the main issue, especially when the person is a PR person as opposed to the developer. However, problems can also crop up if coder/game designer/technical person runs the Quick Look EX, such as:

• Warp Quick Look EX, where the guy seemed incredibly awkward (granted, he sounded young and may not be used to giving live demos of his game), but also played it way too fast; he played it like someone who has spent the last 6 months playing his game, which obviously he has. The problem there is that the audience hasn't, and he didn't slow down to explain anything, and instead just immediately solved everything, instead of occasionally purposely playing badly to give you an idea of how you might deduce the solutions to certain puzzles.
  • War of the Worlds Quick Look EX, where there was actually interesting developers have a cool little chat with Jeff, but on the down side, Jeff definitely would have ripped into that game if the developers weren't right beside him.
  • Dyad Quick Look EX, where McGrath comes off as a condescending prick. He's an intelligent guy, no doubt, but he struck me as the sort of guy who is so proud of his intelligence and his successful independence that he acts like a bit of a dick, and he he kind of just smack talked Brad most of the time, and went out of his way to give shitty non-answers whenever Vinny asked about the actual mechanics of the game and how they work.
#31 Posted by JoeyRavn (4974 posts) -

I don't actively hate them, but, yeah. They are not as good as normal QLs. That said, people complain about QLs misrepresenting games because the GB guys don't know how to play them... so EXes are there to balance the scales, right? With that mentality, I don't mind a more "serious" look on a game, even if it ends up sounding like free marketing.

#32 Posted by Ares42 (2674 posts) -

While the EXs generally comes off more as a PR preview rather than the "first impression review" that QLs tend to have, there are definitely several QLs that are just as much to the point as the EXs. I do prefer them to nothing though, but they should probably rethink and rename the concept a bit. Make it less like a QL, maybe make them shorter and more to the point (closer to an interview about the game), then it would still make sense to cover the game with a normal QL too. But then again, at that point they might become sorta pointless.

#33 Edited by Tennmuerti (8108 posts) -

The QL:EXs have gotten much better over the years generally. So these days I don't mind them as much (they were way worse before). It seems companies are learning that easy going devs are better then straight up PR talk in a lot of cases. I don't feel like normal QL's are some pristine showing of the games either, they have a shitload of faults of their own, which people constantly bring up. GB crew can equally take undeserved shits on decent games and visa versa.

Both are simply showings of a game through a lens of another persons eyes, if that person is a developer or part of GB crew, i believe i'm smart enough to adjust my perception one way or another and be aware of the said distorting lens. My opinions on games clash with GB crews often enough to not take their opinions as gospel. I draw my own conclusions, thank you very much.

Also don't give a shit what they are called, as long as it's different, which they already are.

#34 Posted by ReCkLeSs_X (460 posts) -

@Hizang said:

This. I definitely appreciate them but I feel like they ultimately hold a true opinion of the game back.

#35 Posted by sissylion (679 posts) -

Mileage varies depending on how strict the guest is. Some of them (Muir, Aram, THQ guy from Darksiders 2 QL) can promote their games while still maintaining a casual atmosphere. Others can't.

#36 Posted by ZombiePie (5673 posts) -

They are a lot better now than they were a year or so ago. Often the EX Quick Looks feature the most information and best showcases of the mechanics for games.

Also even if disagree with that I think we can all agree that Double Fine Quick Looks are exempt from any and all complaints of not being entertaining.

#38 Posted by drag (1223 posts) -

something between yes and no. i watch them all but they're often not the best.

they can be good though, just as good as a normal QL, depending on who is showing the game off and how cool they are

#39 Posted by Slag (4409 posts) -

@Dogma said:

@Slag said:

This about hiding stuff. You have a point but isn't that the case with every piece of information we get before a games release? It's the same at a press event or a E3. They only show us a specific part. They show us what they want to show. I really don't have a problem with that a long as I know that that may be the case. It's just to go into the video with some kind of caution/BS filter and you're fine. ^^

Yeah that's true. I think we are of the same mind here.

I don't have a problem with it either. I like seeing previews and such. I like hearing the company mention what they think is great.

What I don't like is the "Quick Look" branding, which makes it sound like something it isn't. The Quick Look Ex is isn't a bad experience, but it isn't a Quick Look as Giant Bomb pitches them ( live unedited gameplay with live honest commentary).

#40 Posted by M_Shini (551 posts) -

I enjoy some of them not all, the same applies to quick looks and any other video content the GB peeps do.

#41 Posted by Irvandus (2879 posts) -

I choose the third option, I like them depending on who the guest is. Most of the time it's just someone pitching the game but sometimes it's employees that actually let GB play around while they answer questions.

#42 Posted by ajamafalous (12001 posts) -

I generally don't like them. There have been a few exceptions, though. 

I also agree that a QLEX is not a substitute for a QL of the game.

#43 Posted by beepmachine (618 posts) -

It's not yes or no for me. It's totally dependent on the game and who the developers are. I don't think it necessarily makes a bad QL though. There are boring Quick Looks that are boring just by virtue of the game sucking. I will admit though that when I see "Quick Look EX" I reflexively groan. Even if it ends up being a good one, you know that they can't say what they really think.

#44 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4973 posts) -

It makes them hold back on voicing their real opinions so that they don't appear as assholes and will continue to receive review copies.

#45 Posted by OldGuy (1557 posts) -
@Bocam said:

I liked the Persona 4 Arena QLEX, the Catherine QLEX, and the Trenched QLEX. That's it

You should watch the HATS QLEX from Friday. Everyone should.
#46 Posted by JackSukeru (5913 posts) -

With a few exceptions I don't really mind them, they can be informative and funny enough, it partly depends on the developer/PR guy.

There have been times where I wished that they would have done a regular QL after the EX though, often when there'd been a couple of weeks between the EX and the game being released. Even if you get updated impressions on the podcasts it doesn't always feel adequate.

#47 Posted by Draxyle (1855 posts) -

They're fine with me. Not ideal, but they have their own informative benefits.

Only big problem is, very often the developer/PR guy will just talk waaay too much, drowning out any actual playing of the game. Sometimes I lose track and just glaze over what they're saying half the time.

It's really hit or miss, like any quicklook really. Sometimes if it's a new idea or an odd concept, you need that PR guy to spell it all out for you.

#48 Posted by JasonR86 (9710 posts) -

It's not a 'yes' or 'no' answer for me. It's 'sometimes'. It really depends on the game and who the staff is that is coming in. For example, I think the guy from Atlus and the people from Double Fine and Harmonix are really good on EX videos. But sometimes you'll get boring developers who are more concerned with giving bulletpoints then having fun.

#49 Posted by KingdomCome (37 posts) -

If I'm interested in the game, then yes. Sure, they deter from the comedic aspects of many more popular Quicklooks, but redeem themselves on many occasions by providing an insight into the developers passion for their game...

#50 Posted by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -