Do you like Quick looks when a developer etc is in it telling you about their game?

• 56 results
MrCandleguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By MrCandleguy
Ezlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Ezlo

It really depends on the developer and how well they gel with the others. For example, Stacking with Tim was great. Yar's Revenge? Not so much.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Romination

Sometimes. Like the Dungeon Siege III one, I ducked out of because it wasn't so interesting to me, and I can't deal with watching an hour of something I odn't really care about.

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Rockanomics

I think it can certainly help, but the need to be polite does kill the magic a lot of the time.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By CastroCasper

Sometimes, but it doesn't have to do with my interest in the game. I thought the Tron QLEX was one of the best, because they were loose and fun. At times when a game comes in and it looks fine, but plays bad, the GB crew will let you in on it. With the creators themselves sitting right next to you, you don't want to say, "ehh, it feels kinda gamey". 

They do so many tours and showings of the game, it becomes this speech they run on autopilot, which is the exact opposite of Giant Bomb. So it can be hard to break that cycle and it really shows on certain QLEX's. 
soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By soldierg654342

Where's the voting option for "No - Because the developers hold the crews hand in order to cover up any flaws or issues the game may have"? I don't watch EX quicklooks because the crew isn't able to put a game threw it's paces. They're a guided tour that make sure they're looking to the left when shit's happening on the right. I understand why they do them, though. 

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CastroCasper
@SoldierG654342 said:
" Where's the voting option for "No - Because the developers hold the crews hand in order to cover up any flaws or issues the game may have?" I don't watch EX quicklooks because the crew isn't able to put a game threw it's paces.  "
This is what I was trying to say. 
MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#8  Edited By MightyDuck

It does help sometimes if the developer is in on the quick look. 

For example, the quicklook on Greed Corp.  I did not know much about it, but really liked what the developer said during the look.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like them because most of the time they aren't the least bit entertaining. It also prevents the guys from voicing their honest opinions which I don't like.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#10  Edited By BeachThunder

I don't dislike them because they're not funny, I dislike them because they usually come across as somewhat biased and kind of awkward (particularly bad/mediocre games). There's usually plenty of official trailers/dev diaries/advertisements for games, for me QLs are a good way to see some guys (unaffiliated with the game) sit down, uh, or stand up for ~30 mins and just play a game. Oh and they're sometimes funny too.

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By wickedsc3

I like them, its nice to get to see a game early.  Even though there is some hand holding and stuff it has to be that way because at this point a lot of the games are not done. Also, It would be unfair for the guys to critique a game during these because it is not even released yet and therefore could be changes to be made and it would be unprofessional to rag on a game before it is finalized.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#12  Edited By ArbitraryWater

They're certainly not my favorite brand of quick look. Quite frankly, some of them are really boring with the PR guy either being super awkward or just spewing the lines he has. Sometimes, it is informative and actually worth watching. I couldn't finish that Dungeon Siege III video though, but that has more to do with the part where that game doesn't interest me at all and less to do with the actual delivery of the PR dudes.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By HadesTimes

I usually like it, some of the older Quick Look EXs were kind of bad.  But the more recent ones have been fantastic.

Hawk456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hawk456

I like them because I like QLs but they're not entertaining... unless Johnny V is involved, then I'm in
Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Portis

The @HadesTimes said:

" I usually like it, some of the older Quick Look EXs were kind of bad.  But the more recent ones have been fantastic. "
Totally.

Still, I don't normally watch them. Sometimes the developers that are on aren't exactly good on mic -- which I know isn't really their problem but still.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By JJWeatherman

Some are fantastic, but it all depends on the developer and also whether or not a PR person is sitting off to the side.

I'd say in general, I don't much care for them.
Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#17  Edited By Mento  Moderator

It's kind of like ads on websites: They're annoying, but the benefits to the site itself make them tolerable. Building this kind of rapport with developers can only help GB in the long run.

And there are definitely good ones where the guest representative is a friend of the site and on-board with their sense of humor, like Jeff Green or Johnny V. If doing more QLEXs results in more friends of the site like them, that's worth sitting through a slightly obsequious Quick Look or two.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Yanngc33
@Mento
It's kind of like ads on websites: They're annoying, but the benefits to the site itself make them tolerable. Building this kind of rapport with developers can only help GB in the long run.

And there are definitely good ones where the guest representative is a friend of the site and on-board with their sense of humor, like Jeff Green or Johnny V. If doing more QLEXs results in more friends of the site like them, that's worth sitting through a slightly obsequious Quick Look or two.
Johnny V sold me on Tron after that QLEX. GB seems to try to have those when they know the dev or else they're just boring
IchiroYagiza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By IchiroYagiza

Sometimes. It depends on the developer and how informative they can be without sounding boring.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FritzDude

B. - Mixed feelings. They're trying to sell a game so for the most parts we wont hear any cons about the game, so it can easily be a boring repetitive video with buyist persuasion. If i'm hyped about the game i dont care if it is though.

CarpetRemnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By CarpetRemnant

Most of the time I don't like it because it's so much 'hey let me tell you about the mechanics in our game I've been paid to tell you I think they're pretty good'.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Vexxan

It's a great way to learn more about the game than a normal Quick Look would've given but at the same time the GB crew can't say whatever the hell they want...which kind of is their thing. However when the crew's enjoying the game and the developer part is interesting it's really great.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

I haven't really seen any of those QLEXs mainly because I'm interested with what the Giant Bomb crew thinks about what they're playing instead of a developer guiding them through the process.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#24  Edited By Grumbel

The problem is that when developers talk about their games pre-release is that they are all basically always in marketing-mode, so you hardly ever hear anything interesting from them, it is much more interesting to listening to developers a few month or years after the release when they have the freedom to actually talk about all the things that didn't went right in implementing the game.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Brendan

There have been plenty of really good ones lately, but many of them have smothered the fun of an ordinary quicklook with necessary politeness and positive bias.  I chose option B.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Sayishere

I find them quite boring, 

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By craigbo180

It depends on the game and the personality of the developer.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By lockwoodx

I avoid developer quicklooks because the GB crew holds punches.

I love developer TNTs and HappyHours because then the developer gets to relax and be themselves.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By ajamafalous
@President_Barackbar said:
" I don't like them because most of the time they aren't the least bit entertaining. It also prevents the guys from voicing their honest opinions which I don't like. "
This.
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Azteck

Most of them are pretty eh, but the ones with the Double Fine people are usually really good because they work very well with the rest of the crew, I feel.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31  Edited By crusader8463

Some of them are fine, but for the most part they suck. The people they get are never very experienced with being on camera like that so they tend to stumble around their words and hum and ah a lot and it kind of gets annoying. Plus, the guys never say what they are thinking because they don't want to say anything bad about the guys game when he is sitting right next to them, so it kind of makes QL's pointless when they do it.

Obviously if they get someone like Shane in then they can be great because he is a from the world of journalism, but for the most part random development guy with PR standing over his shoulder is not a fun video. Plus I always feel like I'm watching one long ad for the game, since they guy has to make sure everything he says is 100% positive about the game with no criticisms. He can never say something like, "Well the controls work really well in most instances, but when you get into this situation they can be a little flaky." because he wouldn't have a job to go back to if he did.
balrogsbain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By balrogsbain

i would ask the same question to the guys at giantbomb, does it make them feel they can't give a proper quick look with the devolpers there, do they have to edit there responces to the game if that game is not the greatest ?

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Barrock

Not usually. I guess it really depends on the game. The Red Faction one was fun. Others, not so much.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@BalrogsBain said:
" i would ask the same question to the guys at giantbomb, does it make them feel they can't give a proper quick look with the devolpers there, do they have to edit there responces to the game if that game is not the greatest ? "
Watch the Quick Look EX for Sonic Riders on Kinect, I think that will answer the question.
It was obvious the game was terrible and barley even functioned correctly, but they couldn't exactly just say that to the guys who've been working on it.
HowDire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By HowDire

Obviously the guys can't be as critical but the developers can be incredibly informative. And as the games industry is what I want to go into after I graduate from Uni, knowledge is power.

Although you do get the odd boring one: Yars Revenge. There was so little to say about that game!
OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By OneManX

I like the info in them, like the Dungeon Siege one, they did a great job at explaining  what was going on in a way that i dont think the GB would of been able to.

and I think the Directors and programmers are able to point out things that most would of simply gloss over, and they actually demo what is going on.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ryanwho

They're not terribly informative. The staff have to pretend they're not seeing the shit that looks bad. So it ends up being a structured demo playthrough with Ryan reading some preapproved questions. A dude who worked on the game for 4 years can make some obtuse shit look like "hey this is easy and its obvious" when its not. You don't learn a thing about how the game from a "pick up and play" perspective, so you're not really seeing the game in the way actual players will see it so much as how the devs fantasize people will play it.

BerserkingGuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BerserkingGuts

Not particularly. I prefer it when the GB crew are unfiltered and say what they genuinely feel when quick looking. 

Actually, to expand, I think it depends on the game. If I'm more invested in the 'game' rather then the 'quick-look' then sure, I do prefer developer commentary too. 
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#39  Edited By Yummylee
@OneManX said:
" I like the info in them, like the Dungeon Siege one, they did a great job at explaining  what was going on in a way that i dont think the GB would of been able to.

and I think the Directors and programmers are able to point out things that most would of simply gloss over, and they actually demo what is going on.
"
I didn't like the Dungeon Siege one. I'm really interested towards the game, but the quick look was really dull. The developer was such a bore to listen to, lacked confidence (which isn't naturally his fault, but they could of had someone who was more suited to this kind of promotion, who still actually knew a lot about the game) which resulted in him appearing to have little passion towards the project and more like he just wanted this thing over. It was also a little awkward to see Ryan's laid back, humorous comments completely fly by. Maybe it was down the pairing since Ryan and the DS III developer did not mesh well at all. I think Brad might of been more suitable to those kind of QL's for his overt politeness and more approachable jokes.

It's the bane of a lot of the EX quicklooks, frankly. Not just that one.
Grayfox34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Grayfox34

I don't really care for them. It isn't because they're terrible, it just feels like content I could get anywhere else. What makes Giant Bomb awesome is the personality it imbues into what it does. Sadly, Quick Looks with developers, etc., seem to lack that quality.

Funkofages

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Funkofages

I would actually prefer a quick look after a product has been released with just the GB guys, as opposed to a sneak peek before release if its being watched over by the devs.

ImpureAscetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ImpureAscetic

The cool part about the Quick Looks is that you get to hear experienced gamers bitching or praising games as they are. You get a much better look at how the game works as a game, not just how it looks or moves when a PR or marketing mouthpiece plays it for you. Having a developer there doesn't kill the experience, but the guys are clearly less inclined to share their real feelings and comment on clunkiness. The alternative is worse, mind you: screenshots or video without context. Quick Looks are the ideal game preview outside a demo though, and the presence of a developer limits the guys' ability to relate to us, the users, what we can expect from the game. 

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#43  Edited By Little_Socrates

I usually dislike QLEX's because the developers and the like who get to talk about the game are BORING. That's why I enjoyed the Tron Evolution QLEX so much; Johnny V is one of my favorite guests the site's ever had, QLEX or not. But the Yar's Revenge QLEX, the Swarm QLEX, and the like...I don't like those.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#44  Edited By Slaker117

Too many times it's awkward because devs are trying to up talk their game as much as possible when you can tell the GB dudes really aren't that into it.

Grayfox34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Grayfox34
@Little_Socrates: I really love Johnny V. He's hilarious, and really brings a lot to whatever content on GB he is in.
PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#46  Edited By PerryVandell

It depends on the developer. If they can relay information about the game in a clear and amusing way, then I'm all for it. It's a problem if the developer sounds like a PR representative reading off of a script.

fontainefellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By fontainefellow

It really depends on the developer. Sometimes they're really cool about stuff and just showing off as much cool stuff in their game as possible (like Red Faction: Armageddon), or just outright funny themselves (like Portal 2), but sometimes they're just dicks.

vasylkoB317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By vasylkoB317

Only if it is someone from gearbox or if its Johnny V. 

blueaniman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#49  Edited By blueaniman93

Sometimes. If the developer can be funny, I like it.

npeterson08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By npeterson08

I usually feel like everything in a Quicklook EX is a sales pitch - so I avoid them. What I really enjoy about a Quicklook is the brutal honesty displayed, which is usually censored by the GiantBomb crew when a developer, etc is present.