Do you like the hot new look for Giant Bomb dot com?

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By CJduke

All I get is the 500 error

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#52  Edited By Phatmac

I'm liking it!

EnduranceFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By EnduranceFun

I love most everything about it except the font and the lack of review portraits for the staff. I am extremely sad to see the latter go. However, it seems like an excellent job by Dave and I commend him for his hard work, definitely a worthwhile update.

Donoram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By Donoram

I tried to log in and I got an error. Science at work!

Edit: Got in. Like it! Not sure if I love the forum layout, but I don't forum much anyway.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By BoOzak

I dunno, I hate change. I still miss the old video player. ;(

It look flashier though, if that's what they're going for then great. Also I hate Polygon's layout. If I wanted vast amounts of pictures slapped all over the place i'd read a fucking magazine.

I have faith in GB though, they seem to have put a lot of effort in from what i've seen. I hope it pays off.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By zeforgotten
@EnduranceFun said:

I love most everything about it except the font and the lack of review portraits for the staff. I am extremely sad to see the latter go. However, it seems like an excellent job by Dave and I commend him for his hard work, definitely a worthwhile update.

Don't forget Alexis! 
smokeyd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By smokeyd123

@CJduke: Type the URL in yourself. Kept getting the error when I was just using the link.

morello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By morello

First impressions are that everything is just way too big, and I'm not sure where any real improvements are from a general site visitor's standpoint - I'd say the usability is worse. I have to scroll for what feels like forever to look at any content that isn't featured. The line spacing is large (especially so on articles), the fonts are large, and I just feel like it is trying to cater to people who browse the web on their TVs. I also don't really care for the massive image headers on the articles. Now, if I can "ensmallen" everything things might be different. I'd quite like some of the space at the sides to contain things like quick links to subscribed forums or community content or something instead of being blank. I've not been paying much attention to the technical changes but at the moment it seems like change for change's sake and a bit of a step backwards, especially considering the removal of quests / achievement tracking and such.

On the positive side the forums maybe seem a little clearer (although again everything is too large), things like mousing over users and being able to see stats and choose actions is nice. I have not touched any of the editing tools and never did before so perhaps this is where all the improvements are.

I still hate the video players, they just seem way too unreliable.

Oh, I should also echo the comment above about the review portraits being no more, I've known they were not going to be on the new site and I think reviews lose a lot of their charm and a kind of instantly recognisable association with the writer. Now it's just another name in a sea of names.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#59  Edited By sgtsphynx  Moderator

Finally got in, I like it, I especially like the responsive part.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Good thing there's a dark page option, I'm just not a fan of the light version it defaults to.

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Draxyle

@EnduranceFun said:

Aye I am kinda bummed at the lack of review portraits. It's only a minor detail, but the individual person reviewing the game is pretty darn important on this personality-driven website. Having an instantly recognizable "symbol" on the front of the review to indicate the reviewer is pretty ideal for the site.

It's not something I'd cry over, but it'd be nice if there was a solution to that in the works. Other than that, the site looks fantastic. It's different enough to feel fresh, but not so different as to feel alien. It still looks like Giantbomb at its core.

galacticgravy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By galacticgravy

I don't know. I've been a subscriber for about a year now and I can't access it. I get an error when I click the link in the stickied thread Dave posted.

*EDIT*

Nevermind. I removed the /login from the end of the url and tried again. It redirected to a login that I could use and it worked!

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#63  Edited By Oldirtybearon

I had a feeling they were going to Polygon the site and remove a great deal of the personality from it.

Also where the hell is the forum feed? It looks to have been replaced by junk.

B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#64  Edited By B0nd07

Overall, yes, I like it. There are a few things here and there that seem too big or some functionality of the current site that is missing (or at least not implemented yet), but otherwise, it's pretty great. Definitely a better first impression for me than the current site had when it launched.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#65  Edited By AngelN7

Reminds me of the old style the one gamebomb.ru stole, it looks lice.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Alexander

I'm in the gamebomb.ru site beta and it looks way better than that.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#67  Edited By C0V3RT

I recall hating the last redesign and it really grew on me. The new one's going to take some getting used to but I don't dislike it? So yay?

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

@Zacagawea: This is pretty much everything people need to know about whats going on in the new website.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#69  Edited By billyhoush

The new design uses all my old profile page images and it's hilarious!

No Caption Provided
joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By joshthebear
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#71  Edited By ProfessorEss

@billyhoush said:

The new design uses all my old profile page images and it's hilarious!

No Caption Provided

That's awesome.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#72  Edited By ProfessorEss

@Fattony12000: I just saw the index image. Wow. Really nice.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#73  Edited By crusader8463

My gut reaction after trying to get the site to work for 5 minutes are that: the videos are unplayable, the lack of a pause button in videos is hella terrible, and the forums being gone from the front page really blows. Hope this is just beta suck that will get worked out, but so far not good first impressions.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Zomgfruitbunnies

Beta site looks fine.

But beta forums is like a nicer version of /b.

Also, Johnny V's head. :D

bearklaw19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By bearklaw19

i dont see anything new it all looks the same to me...am I supposed to do something?

PimpSlappp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By PimpSlappp

I think it definitely looks a lot better than the current sight. The only problem I have is that the images on the front page (the headline and three stories below it) all kind of blend into one another. Maybe if there was a slight bit of space between them it wouldn't look so mushed?

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By zeforgotten
@bearklaw19 said:

i dont see anything new it all looks the same to me...am I supposed to do something?

Yup, pay 5 bucks. 
pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#78  Edited By pyromagnestir

Alls I want to know is can I start fucking with the mods on the new site yet?

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

@Fattony12000: It's the part where I can actually sort games now that gets me all hot and bothered.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#80  Edited By DarthOrange
@ProfessorEss said:

@Make_Me_Mad said:

@Fattony12000: Just from those images, it seems like there's a lot of wasted space.

I feel like you can't put a margin anywhere without someone calling it "wasted space". Guess you can't please everyone.

I personally much prefer a design where individual elements have some nice fat margins and room to breath over trying to fit as much as possible before the scroll cutoff. If I were designing it I would probably "waste" even more space.

In my opinion the design strikes a nice balance density-wise.

That's where all the cool fun ads go. :(
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Dalai
I like it THIS much!
I like it THIS much!
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely, but I do wish the most recent forum activity was still on the front page.

fiberpay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By fiberpay

I like everything except the home page with the 4 large images of articles, looks like Microsoft got a hold of it. I preferred it before with just one large article at the top. But at least they did a good job of making sure it looked good with 4 at the top. As long as they keep it 1 really large one with 3 mediums below it, its fine.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#84  Edited By lego_my_eggo

I voted no, because i cant use it yet, and i really wish the podcast player "timeline" would go across the entire page so i can more easily jump to the correct time. But otherwise looking good top men.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Deusx

I love how everyone bitched about big images when Polygon.com came out but oh no, everyone is happy with precious giant bomb with big images haha. I think it looks great.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By MikeGosot
@xobballox said:

Definitely, but I do wish the most recent forum activity was still on the front page.

This;
EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#87  Edited By EarlessShrimp

the white site kind of bothered me for some reason. I think white websites just hurt my eyes. When I changed it to black I was totally okay with it. Consider me on board for the new site.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#88  Edited By Undeadpool

It's gonna take some getting used to, but I dig it! (OOOOH YEEEEEEAH!)

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#89  Edited By Slag

Yeah I do. I'm sure more features will roll out, but the basic looks is pretty solid.

My one complaint/quibble so far is that the forum/article field is pretty narrow which makes for a lot more scrolling. But that may be a matter of personal taste and it may make it better on mobile.

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Draxyle

@fiberpay said:

I like everything except the home page with the 4 large images of articles, looks like Microsoft got a hold of it. I preferred it before with just one large article at the top. But at least they did a good job of making sure it looked good with 4 at the top. As long as they keep it 1 really large one with 3 mediums below it, its fine.

I do agree with this. I don't think Giantbomb updates quite often enough to require there to be four large article images up top; it's a bit of an information overload.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#91  Edited By toowalrus

Oh god, the forums are way to intense for me, they're freaking me out.

I LOVE IT.

BUG REPORT! ALL OF THESE PICTURES ARE MOVING OH GOD MAKE IT STOP.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Looks like Polygon.com and they are no more front page forums are my first thoughts.

Can't skip ahead on videos, still no play next button on Endurance Run videos or even a playlist option.

It defaults to white background, like wtf?

Interested to see how it handles live video if they going to host it them selves now.

Now that I have changed it back to black background I am digging it though, more suited for big screens like I use.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By stonyman65

The new site looks awesome! I think it's much more polished and streamlined than the current site. Can't wait for it to launch.

Fuckin' awesome Dave!

deathbyyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By deathbyyeti

im not crazy about polygon dot com

nate6858

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By nate6858

I like it a lot, seems a bit dodgy on my ipad though (using chrome). Stuff seems to not work/break quite a bit, obviously it's beta though.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#96  Edited By Animasta

@Deusx said:

I love how everyone bitched about big images when Polygon.com came out but oh no, everyone is happy with precious giant bomb with big images haha. I think it looks great.

big images were not the only problem polygon had

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#97  Edited By Sin4profit

Lovin the new site look and functionality...i remember when they converted the old site to it's current look and wasn't too happy about it so the new design looks to be making up for it.

sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By sumbog

John Vignoochi face coming from exploded bomb on search bar is nice touch. Good overall, the forum page seems a big less pretty, but more functional than it is now. The podcast page is quite nice, and I like the front page- though the banner seems a bit cluttered in my opinion, but I really hate clutter so it could just be me. The people pages seem nice, I like the tabs from images to forums. Overall looks real good, nice job Dave/Alexis.

Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#99  Edited By Xtrememuffinman

It's slow as hell, the video player is still a little buggy, and I REALLY don't like that there's a little mini forum thing on the bottom, but besides that, it's coo'. If the features on the video player actually worked, it would be hella awesome.

But seriously, I check the bottom of the page for forums, and never click the little tag at the top. Without that, I probably won't ever post anything.

I don't know whether or not it's just glitchy, but still no spacebar pausing/double click fullscreening on the player? Come on. Also, don't know whether it's hidden somewhere, but there should be an option to let the windowed version of the fullscreen be default. Really like that I can make it windowed though.

sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By sumbog

Oh, forgot to say, fuck default white background, black all day every day.