Do you listen to reviews for purchasing decisions ?

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By calidan777

I was just wondering how many people use game reviews for if they should buy a game or not. I personally have never used game reviews (that I can remember) as I like to find out for myself. I've always found that my opinion of a game is almost always higher than that of a game reviewer because I have to actually pay my own hard earned monies for the game (which is why I believe all game reviewers, or critics in general, should have to buy their own shit, but that's a discussion for another day). I always root for my favorite games to get high review scores because I know that stuff is important to a lot of people, but I personally like to be my own judge.

So how 'bout it ? Do you purchase games based on if they got a good review score or not ?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

I do some times.  It just depends on the game for me.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By AgentJ

If i'm on the fence about a game, reviews will definately matter. That said, most of the games I buy these days I know months in advance that I'll be buying, so this scenario doesn't come up much

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By EvilTwin

At the very least they're a good guide to decide where to start looking.  I generally am not very inclined to look into a game that averages in the 50s or even 60s on gamerankings for instance. 

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond

I'll take them into some consideration.  I don't give a shit if sites are giving some game I know will be good 7/10s or anything like that.  If a game is coming down with 4/10's and such though I will take that into consideration seriously.

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By RichardLOlson

I do sometimes, depending on what the game is....but most of the other time I listen to my friends.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#7  Edited By natetodamax

I always look at multiple reviews before making a decision.

Ken420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ken420

I used to live & die by Metacritic scores.  Then I played Lost Odyssey... which had a mediocre meta score of 78.  Love it or loathe it, I had a blast playing it & found myself enjoying it more than some of the 90+ meta score games.  I've learned to not put so much faith in reviews as we & the reviewers all have different palettes although here & there I still find myself influenced by reviews.. i.e. I've never given Call of Duty : World at War a fighting chance.

Avatar image for aperturesilence
ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By ApertureSilence

Reviews are essential for informing my purchasing decisions. Usually it comes down to a combination of one or two outlets I really trust (Giant Bomb and Edge - I got me a subscription) and the aggregator site GameRankings. 

Rule of thumb is that anything less than 85 average is a rental.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By breadfan

I do some reading before I actually decide to buy a game and I have a few sites that have yet to steer me in the wrong direction of what games are good and bad (Giant Bomb being one).  However I do not purchase a game solely on what one person has to say about it. 

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CL60

No. Why let other peoples opinions on something sway me to like or dislike something. I will play it for myself before coming to that decision.

nexas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By nexas

I never take only one review into consideration. But sometimes when a game I'm on the fence about gets multiple favorable or negative reviews, I'll definitely  be influenced. Take Batman AA for instance. I initially considered it a rental until I saw all the positive reviews (along with the deal at Toys 'R Us).

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By calidan777
@Ken420 said:
" I used to live & die by Metacritic scores.  Then I played Lost Odyssey... which had a mediocre meta score of 78.  Love it or loathe it, I had a blast playing it & found myself enjoying it more than some of the 90+ meta score games.  I've learned to not put so much faith in reviews as we & the reviewers all have different palettes although here & there I still find myself influenced by reviews.. i.e. I've never given Call of Duty : World at War a chance. "
Yeah, you should definitely play CoD: WaW as it is a fantastic game. I've noticed there seems to be a lot hate towards WaW by the Infinity Ward faithfuls, but it really is the best WWII game ever made. I personally prefer CoD4 for the modern setting, but I won't hesitate in telling someone how great of a game WaW is.
Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Otacon

Depends, for example, I will buy Uncharted 2 regardless of what anyone says but I will wait for reviews on Brutal Legend simply because I am less sure whether I will enjoy the game.

Karmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Karmann

Only if I'm on the fence about the purchase.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By RHCPfan24

If I want a game, I will play it and most likely buy it. But if I am on the fence for some game, I will check out a various potpourri (haven't used that word in awhile, damn) of reviews before buying it.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#17  Edited By citizenkane

Sometimes.  Not on the big titles I have really been looking forward to and reviews would not change my mind, i.e. Halo 3: ODST which I am going to pick up in 4 hours.
Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#18  Edited By KowalskiManDown

It varies.

Review scores were the sole reason I tried out Batman, for example.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I don't listen to review scores, necessarily, but I like to read the reviews themselves.

There's sort of a weird standardized expectation in the industry for games to "bring something new" to the fore, and a lot of times if a game simply works on refining a certain formula without adding a lot of superfluous bric-a-brac, its review "scores"--the things aggregator sites, well, aggregate--will tend to dip a bit. Quality is quality, but looking at an 85 and shying away from the game only because it's an 85 is an ignorant thing.  

I read the reviews, try to gauge whether or not the claim is valid in correlation to the weight the reviewer is giving it. If I don't buy some of the negative criticisms, then I'll still venture out and play the game. But if things are sound then I'll listen and decide against playing.

TiggNine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TiggNine

if its a new IP coming out, yeah i'll read/watch a review. 

if its a sequel to a game i really liked then i might read a review, but chances are i have made up my mind already and will buy it 
yeahno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By yeahno
@CL60 said:
" No. Why let other peoples opinions on something sway me to like or dislike something. I will play it for myself before coming to that decision. "
Reviews help people decide on if the game is worth the buy. I don't want to pay for a game and be all "well I hated that. i just wasted my money." I think others' opinions are good in that respect. Now when it comes to clothes..... STUPID NIKE SHORTS. THEY ARE EVERYWHERE.
mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mikemcn

I usually buy on gut feeling, and it works out fine, review scores are usually something i look at later on to compare with. But scores have made me consider batman. 
copycatzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By copycatzen

Hell yeah, cannot aford $$$ to make a bad choice
zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By zombie2011
@CitizenKane said:
"
Sometimes.  Not on the big titles I have really been looking forward to and reviews would not change my mind, i.e. Halo 3: ODST which I am going to pick up in 4 hours. "
You just keep taunting us with that information. I really want ODST but can't get it until the weekend. 
calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By calidan777
@CitizenKane said:
"
Sometimes.  Not on the big titles I have really been looking forward to and reviews would not change my mind, i.e. Halo 3: ODST which I am going to pick up in 4 hours. "
lol, you and me both.

@Sir_Ragnarok said:
"

I don't listen to review scores, necessarily, but I like to read the reviews themselves.

There's sort of a weird standardized expectation in the industry for games to "bring something new" to the fore, and a lot of times if a game simply works on refining a certain formula without adding a lot of superfluous bric-a-brac, its review "scores"--the things aggregator sites, well, aggregate--will tend to dip a bit. Quality is quality, but looking at an 85 and shying away from the game only because it's an 85 is an ignorant thing.  

I read the reviews, try to gauge whether or not the claim is valid in correlation to the weight the reviewer is giving it. If I don't buy some of the negative criticisms, then I'll still venture out and play the game. But if things are sound then I'll listen and decide against playing.

"

I do the same thing, I like to read reviews but I try not to let them influence me. Although I must say, I agree with everyone about not being interested in Batman initially, but after all the hype and positive review scores my interest went up exponentially. So I guess I am inadvertently  influenced by game reviews, from time to time.
BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By BlackHeronBlue

Usually I only believe the reviews that are really good or really bad. If a game gets a 10 on a couple of sites I acknowledge it as a good game and eventually get it. Analogical solution for really bad reviews. But when the score is around 7... that's where it gets tricky because very often the games rated around 7 are underappreciated or rated to hastily. Somehow the games rated 7 are always better than 7 to me. More like 8.5. The Force Unleashed got fair reviews but I enjoyed the hell out of it. That's exactly why I got Wet, even though it's rated as average, I don't pay attention to details that made the reviewer give it a lower score.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By Karmum

Reviews don't influence me to buy games I have interest in, but may have a slight influence in playing games I might have been on the fence about.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#28  Edited By Black_Rose

No

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There like 50% of the decision i would say, the rest depends on ME, and gameplay footage and other things. 

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Milkman

Yes. Why waste $60 on a game that I don't know if I'll like?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I'll take it into consideration, but usually when I decide to buy a title it does not matter if reviewers like it or not, I've heard about it enough to make my own decision.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By iam3green

yes, sometimes. the most recent one is need for speed: shift.  i haven't liked the past couple of need for speed games because they have been pretty sucky. i'm working on finding somewhere i can buy the game cheaper.

InFamous91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By InFamous91
@natetodamax said:
" I always look at multiple reviews before making a decision. "
same here.....i really don't want to waste $60
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34  Edited By Cube

Yes. Considering up here it's 70 dollars for a game, I need to know if it's fully worth the price.

Kouerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Kouerson

Demos, Reviews (and Quick Looks) all influence if I'm interested in playing a game or not.

Most of the time it's not.

turbo_toaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By turbo_toaster
@Kouerson: 
Except for Trash Panic; we bought it because it looked bad =B
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#37  Edited By Hailinel

Sometimes, particularly if I don't know much about a game in advance, but other times I've ignored reviews and ended up enjoying games that received critical drubbings.

Kouerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Kouerson
@Turbo_Toaster said:
" @Kouerson: 
Except for Trash Panic; we bought it because it looked bad =B "
Oh no, it looked fantastic and it was.
joelalfaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By joelalfaro

Yes.

kuwabaratheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By kuwabaratheman

Not too often. I know my own interests and tastes, and I purchase games that appeal to me. Generally, bad reviews won't be able to dissuade me from a game unless they're really bad and I wasn't too interested to begin with. Some times good reviews might push me over the fence, but generally I make my own decisions and don't really take reviews into account too much.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Andorski

For games I'm unsure of, I check Giant Bomb, 1up, and occasionally IGN to see whether the game is worth it.  I also usually see who reviewed the game, as I know which editors I tend to agree with.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By pause422

I listen to reviews to see what those people thought of the game, and thats it. I never let reviews influence my purchasing decision(even tho I buy absolutely no games anymore and just gamefly everything). I already know good and well whether I have interest in a game or not, and if I do I will play it myself and give my own opinion of it. Using reviews for that..its just a mistake in every way.

choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By choffy21

I use to a lot more when I was younger. But now that I'm 16, I use the internet a lot more frequently and for different purposes than I use to, so it's easy to get updates and read previous before games are released. Reviews definitely help me make a decision, but if I'm interested and it gets semi-decent reviews, I'll purchase it eventually.

My job and the tiny amount of disposable income I now get also helps (still, most of it goes towards insurance and gas money).

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#44  Edited By zyn

Depends on the reviewer and the game.

thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By thecleric

I watch a review, but don't care about the score.

I just look at the gameplay and see what the reviewer liked and didn't like about the game.
I'm a big-time 'day 1' buyer because for the most part, I feel that's how publishers get the best idea if they should support a developer or not. So yeah, Metacritic helps a lot to keep me from wasting money, but a lot of the time I read up tons of previews, and demos are a huge selling point to me, hell, Brutal Legend, had no interest in that one, played the demo, definitely looking forward to it now.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#46  Edited By AndrewB

If it's a game I had no intent on buying in the first place, most definitely. If it's something I know interests me, I still sometimes wait for the reviews to roll out, but I'll most likely buy it if things don't appear to have gone horribly wrong.