Posted by BisonHero (6526 posts) 10 months, 5 hours ago

Poll: Do you miss Vinny's/Drew's Tricaster shenanigans? (417 votes)

Yes 76%
No 15%
Show results 9%

Since Ryan's passing, here are two things I noticed: TNT has been retired so no Tricaster chuckles there anymore, and the remaining long stream GB does weekly is Unprofessional Fridays, which Vinny and Drew both participate in so they aren't in the control room messing with weird Tricaster transitions/effects.

Do you miss that madness? Should Ian work on his Tricaster tomfoolery? Or are you fine leaving it in the past?

#1 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2562 posts) -

I prefer Vinny/Drew be in front of the camera rather than behind it, so I'm happy to leave it behind.

Those were definitely some good times though.

#2 Posted by SgtSphynx (1389 posts) -

I think Ian needs to get some lessons from Drew and Vinny. That being said, I do enjoy having Drew and Vinny on camera, and even like when Ian makes an appearance.

#3 Posted by ajamafalous (11994 posts) -

Ian should work on his, because I much prefer Vinny and Drew to be on-camera.

#4 Posted by Nasar7 (2677 posts) -

They were always great but as has been said, Vinny/Drew are awesome in front of the camera. Ian seems to be learning the ways so I'm sure we'll see more shenanigans in the future.

#5 Posted by MEATBALL (3239 posts) -

Yes, but I much prefer having them on camera. So it's a trade I'm happy they made.

#6 Posted by bybeach (4828 posts) -

The tri-caster bit was fun, I have a link to the Girlfriend TNT. I suspect they have a value for professionalism. All I would suggest to the guys is do what you think is appropriate. Or not appropriate.

All Roads lead to Rome.

#7 Posted by TruthTellah (9076 posts) -

Sure, I miss their shenanigans, but I prefer them on the screen. I just hope that Ian will get the go-ahead from Vinny to take more liberties when he would like to. Dicking around a bit is part of the fun, and it can make a big difference when things are dragging a little.

You can do it, @ltsquigs! We believe in you!

#8 Edited by Flacracker (1675 posts) -

The tricaster stuff hasn't been going on for this whole year, not just the last few months.

#9 Edited by csl316 (8674 posts) -

Sure, but at least they get to hang out on the couch now.

#10 Posted by mlarrabee (2957 posts) -

Yeah, but I'd trade Tricaster Vinny for Couch Vinny any day.

#11 Posted by BisonHero (6526 posts) -

@flacracker said:

The tricaster stuff hasn't been going on for this whole year, not just the last few months.

I'm pretty sure it was raining dollar signs on various livestreams in the first half of this year. Or that weird transition where a monster claw grabs the screen and scrunches it up.

TNT would've been nigh unwatchable if they ever took out Vinny/Drew messing with the tricaster.

#12 Posted by geirr (2573 posts) -

Sure, I miss their shenanigans, but I prefer them on the screen. I just hope that Ian will get the go-ahead from Vinny to take more liberties when he would like to. Dicking around a bit is part of the fun, and it can make a big difference when things are dragging a little.

You can do it, @ltsquigs! We believe in you!

#13 Posted by ILikePopCans (752 posts) -

I was never a big fan of the tri-caster magic so I personally don't miss it.
Much rather have them on camera

#14 Edited by Driadon (2998 posts) -

I love both, but only in one do we get Vinny putting electrodes down his pants.

#15 Posted by VoshiNova (1688 posts) -

Hey Hey YOU YOU!

best tnt ever.

#16 Edited by Capum15 (4900 posts) -

Like a lot of other folks are saying, Drewcifer and V-BOMB are great to have on the scene now (god I loved Pathfinder so much), but I do miss the insanity that used to occur.

The best was always near the end of streams when everyone started getting tired or something.

#17 Posted by hollitz (1520 posts) -

I prefer Vinny/Drew be in front of the camera rather than behind it, so I'm happy to leave it behind.

Those were definitely some good times though.

Exactly this.

#18 Posted by TowerSixteen (542 posts) -

A has been said, keep them on the camera. They're great there.

Also, I felt sometimes that shit obscured the screen a little too much for a little too long.

#19 Edited by Humanity (9245 posts) -

Time for Ian to step up his Tricaster game

#20 Posted by Gatehouse (625 posts) -

I miss the silliness that made the Burnout Paradise TNT such a thing of beauty, but having Vinny and Drew on camera more is worth giving it up. Damn I wish Ryan were still with us.

#21 Edited by vermiliongrey (1 posts) -

Not at all, I actually quite hated it. It was usually just annoying more than anything...

#22 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

I think he'll get there in time. On a kind of related note I've notice I love mondays has also been retired, I do understand why they did it and am not at all upset for it but it's just one of those things I miss.

#23 Posted by Avanzato (87 posts) -

Sometimes the dicking around with the Tricaster got in the way of the videos so no I don't miss it.

#24 Posted by TobbRobb (4647 posts) -

I think doing it the way they do now is preferrable. But I would lie if I said I didn't miss it.

#25 Edited by ikilledthedj (286 posts) -

Hey Hey YOU YOU!

best tnt ever.

Mannnnn that song was in my head for daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyys

#26 Posted by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

I prefered it when Drew was controlling everything. I feel like they constantly have to tell the dude in the control room what he should be doing. I think they said big knob 100 times during the PS4 stream. Also the tricaster stuff got a bit out of hand sometimes, but it was still fun.

#27 Edited by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

I miss them, but like everyone says, I prefer them being on camera.

#28 Edited by Tajasaurus (867 posts) -

I miss a lot of things, but we have got to keep forging ahead

#29 Edited by adam1808 (1496 posts) -

I'll take all the onscreen Drew I can get.

#30 Edited by probablytuna (3662 posts) -

I do miss it, but I also love seeing Vinny and Drew on the couch showing off games and what not. I think some of my favourite content this year have been the FMV-heavy Unprofessional Fridays (especially the one with the Cheetahmen remix ending).

#31 Edited by Fattony12000 (7410 posts) -

Drewmocracy.

#32 Posted by Winsord (1225 posts) -

I really like having Drew and Vinny both on camera more often, but yeah, needs more currency and explosion transitions.

#33 Posted by ADAMWD (591 posts) -

God damn, I still can't believe Ryan is gone. :(

#34 Posted by cloudymusic (1117 posts) -

HEY GUYS

#35 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3320 posts) -

Definitely prefer Vinny in Drew in front of rather than behind the camera, but yeah, it's time for Ian to step up to the plate.

#36 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1420 posts) -

I miss the sillyness of the Tri Caster but i love seeing more Drew. Also i just assumed it was stolen during E3 and since they are pretty expensive they didnt get a new one

#37 Posted by BisonHero (6526 posts) -

@thebunnyhunter said:

I miss the sillyness of the Tri Caster but i love seeing more Drew. Also i just assumed it was stolen during E3 and since they are pretty expensive they didnt get a new one

Oh yeah, that may have also been the reason it stopped. I don't specifically recall if the TNTs between E3 and Ryan's passing had obvious tricaster effects.

#38 Posted by slndr (63 posts) -

I came across this link a few weeks back. Absolute classic Giant Bomb and Tri-Caster antics.

Miss ya Ryan :(

#39 Edited by KaneRobot (1611 posts) -

Yes. Put Drew in the control room again. Rotate Vinny in every so often. The end of that holiday stream a few years ago where it was just Jeff sitting on the couch drinking and putting consoles away while Christmas music played and Vinny messed around with the effects is still arguably my favorite...thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=U592fLAFqs4#t=4389

#40 Posted by chiablo (929 posts) -

I don't know what else Ian is doing back in the control room, but it's frustrating when Vinny has to tell him to switch feeds or tweak the volume. Vinny learned the equipment by messing around and testing the limits of what the Tricaster could do. Ian doesn't even do funny transitions, it's just boring.

#41 Posted by BisonHero (6526 posts) -

@chiablo said:

I don't know what else Ian is doing back in the control room, but it's frustrating when Vinny has to tell him to switch feeds or tweak the volume. Vinny learned the equipment by messing around and testing the limits of what the Tricaster could do. Ian doesn't even do funny transitions, it's just boring.

There's a fine line between being annoying and funny with the tricaster. And Vinny probably deserves a lot of credit for some of his comedic timing with various effects and text and whatever. I think Vinny said he was a roller rink DJ back in his teens or early adult years, and I wonder how much of that experience transfers over.

I don't really expect Ian to have the same kind of humour required for the tricaster shenanigans, though I guess Drew developed it over time. Maybe it was just more necessary on TNTs because of how dull they could get.

#42 Edited by ripelivejam (3964 posts) -

we need more sick guitars up ins

#43 Edited by skelington_ (292 posts) -

@slndr Golden days back then. I'm a TNT advocate. I wish the live shows were as fast and loose as they used to be. So much more stiff and corporate these days (by Giant Bomb standards, naturally). They need a better set--one that doesn't feel like they've decided to play games in a hospital ward.

I'd rather Ian experimented like crazy and broke stuff in the process, rather than played it safe. I bet learning how to manage the Tricaster is a job in itself, though. There's only so much you can ask of a guy who's relatively new at it.

#44 Posted by The_Nubster (2144 posts) -

@chiablo said:

Dude, that was Vinny's job. Ian is an engineer on the site, not a regular crew member. The only time he gets on that thing is on Fridays or during special live streams. Vinny is a video producer, as is Drew. That's a huge part of what they do and it's important for them to know every nook and cranny of its capabilities. Ian is there to make sure that the control room doesn't blow up and that it archives even in the case that it does.

#45 Posted by Datajack (108 posts) -

@the_nubster: This. Certainly have to cut Ian some slack. The whole staff is pulling double duty at this point. Amazed haven't seen more Alexis or the other deep behind the scenes engineers and developers.

For as much as Ian is stuck back in the control room, surprised he hasnt passed out from heat exhaustion.

#46 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I miss them, but I'd rather have them on camera.

#47 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

I do not not. Oftentimes they did it when I was trying to watch what was on screen and they made it impossible. It was never really funny most of the time too.

#48 Edited by Marokai (2972 posts) -

I mean, kind of? But I would much rather have Vinny and Drew on camera, for obvious reasons.