• 0 results
#1 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -
#2 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

I confess. I play WoW. On and off. But I do.

And I plan to play every AAA MMORPG on the horizon.

#3 Posted by Castro (951 posts) -

I used to play WoW, but I got bored once I reached level 80 and got the Loremaster achievement. I'd probably still play, but I'm unemployed and don't want to spend the $15 a month. Once Cataclysm comes out, I totally plan on playing again. Probably just for a few months or so until I see everything. I'll likely stop at that point.

#4 Posted by CaptainObvious (3000 posts) -

Yes. YES I DO. 

#5 Posted by Yummylee (22274 posts) -

No. Though only I because I could only dream to afford, and run, WoW.

#6 Posted by FateOfNever (1855 posts) -

I'm a bit sad there isn't a "Yes, I play both paid and free MMORPGs."  But, that's a minor nitpick.  What I mean to say is, yes, yes I do.

#7 Posted by Feanor (1389 posts) -

I play WoW, its a good game, and worth the 15 bucks a month.

#8 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I used to play Runes of Magic when it was first released, but I got bored of it and never played any other mmo's.
#9 Posted by Peacemaker (1106 posts) -

Nah.  I just don't really like them.  Too much of a time sink for me.  I tried to play WoW but I just couldn't get into it.

#10 Posted by Inzzy (106 posts) -

I have Guild Wars installed on my HD, but have not touched it for a few weeks now.

#11 Posted by ZanzibarBreeze (3077 posts) -

Nope. I would never play fantasy MMOPGs. I would think about playing a Grand Theft Auto big-city style MMO, but I just don't have the time.

#12 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

I'm pretty certain Blizzard's secret project is their take on a MMO Shooter concept. Really looking forward to that reveal.

#13 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -

yep

#14 Posted by Gamer_152 (14099 posts) -

I am playing an MMORPG at the moment and I have played countless hours of MMORPGs in the past. Most of my MMO gaming has been on free-to-play games but I have played quite a lot of World of Warcraft as well.

#15 Posted by wavegoodbye (285 posts) -

I gave FF11 two months and the whole process didn't sit well with me.  WoW just looks stupid.  Not going to routinely pay to keep playing the same game.

#16 Posted by cwdawg1224 (281 posts) -

I don't play them, but I'm seriously considering picking up LOTR when it becomes free-to-play.

#17 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1225 posts) -

No. I know that if I ever started it would consume me. Best not to open that door.

#18 Posted by rhodric (281 posts) -

why is this poll even necessary? just look at the achievements.

#19 Posted by ZimboDK (848 posts) -

Nope, no MMOs for me anymore. I was once addicted to Anarchy Online, where I could easily play for up to 16 hours a day, and I knew all the various buff items and spells plus their buff amount. Played it for about a year, logged in one day and found that I had completely lost interest in it. Since then I've tried EVE Online, Galaxies, EQ, EQ2, AOC, COH/COV, Football Manager Live, Guild Wars, WoW and many others, but no, they do absolutely nothing for me anymore. Well, almost nothing. I did still manage to get a Death Knight from 55 to 80 in a weekend... and then I canceled my subscription.

#20 Posted by Deusoma (3022 posts) -

I used to play World of Warcraft, but a little while after I reached level 70, it became abundantly clear that the only reason I was playing the game anymore was to hang out with my guild, who mostly disbanded after that anyway. Haven't played since early '07. Been toying with the idea of coming back for Cataclysm, but it would only be if I brought a few friends with me.

#21 Posted by yellownumber5 (377 posts) -

One of the choices should have been "Its too hard to play an MMO at five frames a second with my ancient PC".  I'll wait for FFXIV on my PS3 to truly break my MMO cherry.

#22 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1146 posts) -

I can't really vote on this. I used to play WoW and EVE Online but have grown bored with both over time.

#23 Edited by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

I used to play Aion and Champions Online, but they suck.

#24 Posted by Raakill (870 posts) -

Been enjoying Dungeon Fighter Online recently. I've tried WoW, Guild Wars, LoTRO, DDO, RoM, and just about anything else with a free trial. I tend to get tired of the grind relatively fast and MMO style combat is giant turn-off for me. Vindictus, DCUO and GW2 look interesting so far though.

#25 Posted by Burns098356GX (1366 posts) -

I used to. I played WOW pretty hard since about launch, raided alot, was in a top 5 guild on my server. Since the end of BC/start of WotLK, I took some breaks. I was simply burnt out, the game play after 5 years has just lost its luster. I'd recommend WOW to anybody though.

#26 Posted by NZV (125 posts) -

Not anymore. MMOs are heading in a direction that I'm not too keen on. I like an open world without heavy use of instancing, as well of a sense of danger that comes with a steep death penalty and world PvP that can hit you at any time, often in unfair ways. EQ1 was great before the third expansion. I even really liked WoW before Burning Crusade, as it made up for a lot with its fluid combat system. 

Not too much out there that interests me these days though. WoW started heading down a specific path that I don't want to be a part of, and every other developer seems to want to follow in their footsteps with shittier versions of the same game in a different setting. There are a few other MMOs out there that try something a bit different, but unfortunately they are all very shoddily made.

#27 Edited by Venatio (4493 posts) -

No but I might give The Old Republic a shot

#28 Posted by Osaladin (2529 posts) -

I played WoW from when it first came out till about 2 years ago. I love the game, and wish I could still play it today, but alas, real world calls, and I just didn't, don't, and won't have enough time for the end game gear grind. I did reach Rank 14 in PvP before they did away with the honor system though, but that was during first year undergrad when I had lots of time to waste. I don't look down on anyone that does, video games are supposed to be fun, and if you have fun playing MMORPGs then play to your heart's content.

#29 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Roughly 50/50 between MMO-savy players and non-MMO players. That's quite a lot of MMO players - more than I expected. Fairly certain there will be more MMO players as the lines between genres further blur until most every game will have such a huge persistent component, that it will be more of a MMO than not.

Wonder how far along that Call of Duty MMO project is. Wonder what kind of concept they're working with. Bluring the lines of singleplayer and multiplayer maybe? Like the cancelled game by Arkane Studios - the Crossing? Boldly cutting out all singleplayer content for a 100% internet connectivity dependent gamedesign? An extreme focus on small group to huge group co-op missions?

My soldier profile for BF:BC 2 already is a little bit like a MMO toon. But I don't grind for gear. I work on my stats. Growing statistically more skillful and experienced. It's just the same kind of obsession.

#30 Posted by armaan8014 (5434 posts) -

nop

#31 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

No, but the major reason is there aren't any that interest me one bit.  I enjoyed Everquest 1, but I think MMOs are basically crap these days, you can thank WoW for that.

#32 Posted by Dom (436 posts) -

I used to play Runescape

#33 Posted by iSylence (345 posts) -

I actually think MMOs look like a bit of fun but as option E says, I just don't have the time to play them. I prefer games that have a definite ending. Aside from multiplayer of course but that's different. With study - and the rest of my life - there's just no time to play them and be any good at them.

#34 Posted by DuhQbnSiLo (2139 posts) -

I used to play Wow, but everyone I knew get off and the guild I was in broke up.... so I pretty much left it alone. I might get back on Cataclysm, but IDK, it depends how many of my friends join.

#35 Posted by Althox (294 posts) -

EVE Online player here, so yes, I'm into the whole MMORPG thingy.

#36 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

Eh, I'm on and off with MMOs. As of now I haven't played one for six months. I'm sure I'll start playing again before Cataclysm comes out and whenever that Star Wars MMO gets released. 

#37 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Playing WoW and Warhammer at the moment.
Warhammer to kill boredom, WoW to have fun with my cousin.

#38 Edited by Lawrens (688 posts) -

Used to play ffxi, friends quit, so I did too. 

Then I spent a month on WoW over the holidays, friends were rarely on, so I did nothing but grind to lvl80, I was probably doing it wrong, but I quit the moment I hit 80.

I figure I was just playing for the social aspect, which could be done in other games, except my friends wouldn't play any other games, since mmo is the easiest to get into, but I don't want to pay subscription just so I could play with them 1 day per week so I stopped. As far as gameplay, I can't say I really enjoy it, I just don't mind grinding endlessly, however the party system in FFXI is more appealing to me than questing in WoW, since I have no problem grinding in ffxi with random people but feel extreme bored with questing in WoW.

Edit: There are positives with MMO, the most enjoyable thing for me is exploring and running into strangers, helping others, meet friends. I played WoW on a really empty server, in the first 50 levels, I've never spoken to 1 person, the starter areas were really empty, even after getting into the expansion areas, most of the people hang out in town and just spam the channel, I carry on with my questing, but I've never spoken to 1 person through my 80 levels. 

#39 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

I've never played one in my life.

#40 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

I'm a pc gamer, however I don't play WoW. I don't want to pay every month for it, I don't think it's worth it. Also I might get addicted to it easily.

#41 Posted by fatalmephisto (9 posts) -

I use to play Guild Wars for about 2 years, then i moved on to World Of Warcraft and i was hooked on that for about 3 years give or take. Never again :D

#42 Posted by CitizenKane (10508 posts) -

No.  I'm afraid that they will suck me in and prevent me from enjoying all of the other games out there and destroying my social life as well.

#43 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -
@Lawrens said:
"

Used to play ffxi, friends quit, so I did too. 

Then I spent a month on WoW over the holidays, friends were rarely on, so I did nothing but grind to lvl80, I was probably doing it wrong, but I quit the moment I hit 80.

I figure I was just playing for the social aspect, which could be done in other games, except my friends wouldn't play any other games, since mmo is the easiest to get into, but I don't want to pay subscription just so I could play with them 1 day per week so I stopped. As far as gameplay, I can't say I really enjoy it, I just don't mind grinding endlessly, however the party system in FFXI is more appealing to me than questing in WoW, since I have no problem grinding in ffxi with random people but feel extreme bored with questing in WoW.

Edit: There are positives with MMO, the most enjoyable thing for me is exploring and running into strangers, helping others, meet friends. I played WoW on a really empty server, in the first 50 levels, I've never spoken to 1 person, the starter areas were really empty, even after getting into the expansion areas, most of the people hang out in town and just spam the channel, I carry on with my questing, but I've never spoken to 1 person through my 80 levels. 

"
The social aspect is pretty strong in WoW for highend endgame raiding content. Guilds going for Hardmodes and Serverfirst kills are a very social experience. The drawback being the commitment to excellence you'll have to make to join such a guild. As in being reliable and on time. Always dilligently prepared and willing and able to play your part on a very high skill level. It's very demanding, but also worth it. Myself - I'm kinda past it. Don't want to keep a scedule. So I quit hardcore raiding a while back.
#44 Posted by Jaz (22 posts) -

I don't know how many MMOs I have played in the past 10 years. The most I've played is Guild Wars, World of Warcraft, and Phantasy Star Online.

#45 Posted by Organicalistic_ (2954 posts) -
@Ryax said:
" yep "
what, because i would like to try one, and cant decide? and a f2p one is preffered
#46 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

E: Doesn't make any sense at all. 
I play both paid mmos and free ones and on top of that I play all the other games that come out for the different consoles and the PC and I still manage to have a life. 
"Not enough time" is a dumb excuse, unless of course you know you're dying in 3 minutes

#47 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i used to play wow a couple of years ago. i got bored of playing it so i stopped playing it.

#48 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -
@ZeForgotten said:

" E: Doesn't make any sense at all. I play both paid mmos and free ones and on top of that I play all the other games that come out for the different consoles and the PC and I still manage to have a life. "Not enough time" is a dumb excuse, unless of course you know you're dying in 3 minutes "

Well - MMORPGs can be as time consuming as a fully fledged career. No matter what you say, playing MMO endgame content with an achiever attitude will take up 20h of your time every week at the very least. Many take it much much further than that.

Holding down a job or two. Family. Friends. Hobbies outside of gaming. Keeping yourself and your surroundings in good shape. You'll run out of time for gaming fast. Very fast. Most people just ain't got the kind of Work/Life balance to maintain the MMORPG habit. And that's for regular 9 to 5 jobs. A real career will take much more of a commitment than that. If you are a true professional outside of the gaming industry, other things will be of more importance to you.

Depending on how 'rich' your life is, you won't have much time for filler content a.k.a entertainment, such as books and music and film and videogames - especially not an MMORPG. It's just the way of the world. Unless you're a housewife in a childless marriage or a retiree or something...

P.S. Let me guess, you're still living with your mom and don't have to take care of a household of your own? Cooking. Cleaning. Shopping. Washing up. Laundry. Everything is taken care of? Still in school? Or just not working a fulltime job yet? Or just sacrificing other things for your gaming habit? That's likely gonna change. Soon enough.
#49 Posted by Aeterna (1118 posts) -
@Seppli said:
"Well - MMORPGs can be as time consuming as a fully fledged career. No matter what you say, playing MMO endgame content with an achiever attitude will take up at least 20h of your time every week at the very least. Many take it much much further than that.  Holding down a job or two. Family. Friends. Hobbies outside of gaming. Keeping yourself and your surroundings in good shape. You'll run out of time for gaming fast. Very fast. Most people just ain't got the kind of Work/Life balance to maintain the MMORPG habit. And that's for regular 9 to 5 jobs. A real career will take much more of a commitment than that. If you are a true professional outside of the gaming industry, other things will be of more importance to you.  Depending on how 'rich' your life is, you won't have much time for filler content a.k.a entertainment, such as books and music and film and videogames. It's just the way of the world. "

This is true, however some of us just aren't social creatures for one. I'm still young and I have a parttime job(3 days a week, 9-6), however I don't care for anything social at all. 
Besides I'm not aspiring to become truly great career-wise, I simply don't care for studying for such lengths of time, certainly because I'm going to have to keep it up for at least 2x my age at this point. Now I can gladly say that I've got a great work environment where I can infact learn about and develop new things that interest me while I'm at work, so there really isn't too much point in spending hours and hours on studying, not that I even could with my attention span. 

Sure I could go work fulltime and earn a bit more( I'd lose most of it to taxes, which I'm not paying now), but I'm young and frankly, I want to enjoy life above anything and everything else. For now, that means I'm doing my own thing and that includes mmorpg's.
#50 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Seppli said:

" @ZeForgotten said:

" E: Doesn't make any sense at all. I play both paid mmos and free ones and on top of that I play all the other games that come out for the different consoles and the PC and I still manage to have a life. "Not enough time" is a dumb excuse, unless of course you know you're dying in 3 minutes "

Well - MMORPGs can be as time consuming as a fully fledged career. No matter what you say, playing MMO endgame content with an achiever attitude will take up 20h of your time every week at the very least. Many take it much much further than that.  Holding down a job or two. Family. Friends. Hobbies outside of gaming. Keeping yourself and your surroundings in good shape. You'll run out of time for gaming fast. Very fast. Most people just ain't got the kind of Work/Life balance to maintain the MMORPG habit. And that's for regular 9 to 5 jobs. A real career will take much more of a commitment than that. If you are a true professional outside of the gaming industry, other things will be of more importance to you.  Depending on how 'rich' your life is, you won't have much time for filler content a.k.a entertainment, such as books and music and film and videogames - especially not an MMORPG. It's just the way of the world. Unless you're a housewife in a childless marriage or a retiree or something...  P.S. Let me guess, you're still living with your mom and don't have to take care of a household of your own? Cooking. Cleaning. Shopping. Washing up. Laundry. Everything is taken care of? Still in school? Or just not working a fulltime job yet? Or just sacrificing other things for your gaming habit? That's likely gonna change. Soon enough. "
Wrong again, but nice try. 

I live with my fiancée in our own and fully paid house. 
Got a car, we both work for a living, She does the cleaning I take care of the shopping and bills while we both do the cooking depending on who has the best idea for dinner that day. 

I haven't lived with my mom for years.  
So I was speaking for myself personally and not the teenagers out there ;) 

Edit: Also, nobody mentioned anything about how long someone would be playing those games and if it's every day. 
I play them only for a couple of hours during the week and then it's back to doing the normal stuff like taking care of the house and helping with different stuff.  
After the normal rutine there's plent of time for gaming before I head for bed. I guess it does help that the lady of the house is also into gaming and also the fact that I work with videogames.  

Many different factors that people should know about before jumping to dumb conclusions. 
From that lame last part of your post, I would think you actually still live at home with mommy and daddy and using their money for everything. 
Don't make yourself look dumb again, please.