Do you play multiplayer games alone?

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

Poll Do you play multiplayer games alone? (119 votes)

Alaways 35%
Sometimes 46%
Never 3%
Only with friends 8%
I don't play multiplayer games 8%

So with some games out there that have a big multiplayer focus to the them, such as TitanFall and Evolve, how well do these games end up lasting with your play style? I enjoy single player games, it's what I been used to for years. I grew up with a Playstation 2 so I was only used to playing alone. Then eventually I played some Battlefield 2 on PC as well as Halo 2 at a friends house. Eventually Modern Warfare came out and I always had friends to play with. That made me enjoy those types of games, or the multiplayer aspect of those games. However, as more and more games come out, it is difficult to find a group of friends that actually stay with a game, or even buy some new games. With that, I find myself practically always playing multiplayer by myself, and trying my best to play with the team provided. occasionally co-op games I find people, or I have close friends to do that with, but lately, I tend to fly solo.

With that, I ask you, do you play multiplayer by yourself, or you do you usually just play online with friends?

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3
deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I usually only play multiplayer games with my friends. If it's a mindless game where I don't need to communicate, like an FPS or a fighting game, I'm okay with playing with strangers. But beyond that I like to talk (or type) a lot, and I'd rather not subject strangers to my rambling. So I try to confine myself inside my social circle.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

I got really into Battlefield 2142 playing with randoms but that's about it.

These days I don't play multiplayer. Mainly because I'm terrible at shooters and fighting games.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I mostly play multiplayer alone, though not out of choice. Most of my friends aren't interested in games and my internet is unreliable at best.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Depends on the game. I've taken to playing MMOs by myself.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Sometimes yes and sometimes no. If I have friends online and playing a game I'll try to get a game going but if not, I don't have a problem with strangers in most cases.

These days I seem to play a lot more co-op games though. Those don't work so good with randoms who don't use mics or communicate in some way.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I usually try to play with at least someone I know on DOTA. Outside of that though I always play multiplayer games alone.

Windir2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most games, yes. Out of my friends I'm the one who plays the most really, so I don't have a choice most of the time. A lot of the multiplayer games I play a shooters, so I usually just run some matches of Titanfall or Battlefield while listening to a podcast or something. That's just how I prefer it, I'm not usually really serious about my shooters, it's just to kill time. Unless it's Destiny. That game is way too god damned boring to play alone so I only ever play it with friends.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

People way exaggerate what it's like playing with randos.

Just mute the mics and your good to go. Well... It works fine. Not perfect, but averages out.

Playing with actual, true blue friends completely changes the experience for me. Rare these days, but awesome.

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By noboners

I chose that I don't play multiplayer games but really I don't play them because I don't have friends who own video games and don't enjoy playing with randoms. I have friends that come over to play Smash, Mario Kart, Samurai Gunn and the like; none of them have their own consoles though.

So I'm one of the few that really love a campaign in a game regardless how half assed it is.

(edited to omit drunkeness)

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I almost always play games alone now. Most of my friends have retired from gaming so i'm the last one left. I've given up on competitive team based games entirely, I just can't get people together for it and I have the worst luck with random players. I'm still down to play almost any Cooperative online game against the ai / pve game though.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing multiplayer games with friends is preferable, but I can enjoy playing a game with randos fine most of the time. It's only games that require a high degree of coordination and strategy where randos are a turnoff. That's why I'm kind of avoiding Evolve, amongst other reasons. I just don't see getting dumped into a random game being very fun in that.

Zapbrader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't think I've played a multiplayer game with friends in literally years. And yet, for some reason I choose to continue playing Battlefield games, which can sometimes be completely miserable by yourself.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13  Edited By theacidskull

I usually care more about the story and my experience with the campaign more than anything else. That said, I can go for a multiplayer game here and there.

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

The multiplayer games I play alone tend to be bigger in terms of playercount and less dependent upon teamwork. Sadly that means I might miss out on evolve because I don't have friends to play it with. Those types of games are always frustrating without teammates who communicate well and care about winning.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on the game. It is super easy to find people to play with online but there's plenty of games where it's more enjoyable to play solo.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

There are no friends in Dota.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

Nowadays I do. In high school, I had a friend who I would always play multiplayer games online with (Halo, WoW, etc) while we chatted on Skype for hours and hours at a time. Since then, I've lost touch with him due to other things in his life becoming more important. As someone who doesn't make friends well, I pretty much game on my own time now, even in multiplayer situations. For the most part, I don't even actively seek out others and just go it on my own. I tend to avoid multiplayer games now for this reason, having a hard time getting engaged with them on a regular basis without someone else to chat with as I play.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

I play pretty frequently with randoms, though I do also play with a couple of friends almost as frequently.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I co-founded and built one of the more successful SOCOM II clans in the United States when I was 15 with a squad of people ranging from 10 year old Canadians to 35 year old ex-Navy officers, but any other multiplayer game has been primarily a solo affair. Granted I don't play that many, I dabble for a minute and phase out quickly, even when it's something I find a lot of intrigue in like GTA V. I've been playing Destiny REALLY hard since launch but I've only done Vault of Glass once and I was absolutely carried through it by people who knew what they were doing (and I know from message boards) and didn't really enjoy the experience because I didn't know them in real life, so I haven't tried to rejoin for any of the Dark Below stuff. I've basically resigned to just never doing the Raids or Weekly challenges, strictly doing Bounties and the Daily and slowly building Vanguard marks to buy the equipment I need to level. Still having a lot of fun, but I just don't want to play with strangers and the people I know in real life aren't playing anymore.

LisaTiffany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It really depends on the game. I'd play Battlefield 4 on my own because I prefer to just go out and do my own thing. With the Call of Duty games I rarely found that working as a team worked unless you really knew the people, but even then the game was so irritating that I stopped playing pretty quickly. With games like Littlebigplanet/Far Cry 4 and GTAV Online I always go for multiplayer.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

I cant deal with the toxic playerbase out there with all the random players, xbox live put me off playing multiplayer games on my own pretty much forever. Now if i seriously ever consider playing something like that i see if there is a giantbomb post on it with an active community and jump on there.

The only difference is mmos, i join guilds etc but i tend to run most of it on my own, in FFXIV i do everything i can until i hit a raid or dungeon and then see if anyone in my FC is available. I hate rolling with randoms, i dont mind new people, i dont mind people who are less skilled, i would play with them all day. Its the ones that come on with the attitude that you are taking up their time and that you should perform how they want you to or they hurl insults at everyone in the party.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By mosespippy

I always play with randos. That is, back when I played multiplayer games. With level progression and perks being bolted onto every multiplayer game, eliminating any sense of an even playing field, I've basically stopped playing multiplayer games.

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

If possible I'll always play with my brothers or friends online, if that's not an option for whatever reason then I have no problem playing with random people though I usually end up turning off the voice chat to ignore the nastiness of so many people in those games.

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Sadly none of my friends actually play multiplayer fps games. But I really dont mind that in most of the games since you can join a in-game guild or a clan if you want to and that way get to know people who play the game.

And one can always try to group up with fellow giant bombers.

Cleric22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only one I really do by myself is GTA online. With a 4 man crew it usually works fine, and even without mics, if you take some initiative people seem more than happy to follow your lead. If I stop moving to scope something out, the group usually follows suit. If I stop my car in front of someone, they usually hop in.

Bigger games I play like BF are usually reserved for a tight knit squad who talks through the whole game.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I used to play 50/50 either with online friends I knew very well, or with randoms. But, now I play 80/20 with mostly randoms and very rarely with my online friends.