Do you prefer create-a-character or preset ones?

Deathawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Deathawk

I recently came to the conclusion that I vastly prefer premade characters in games over ones you have to build yourself. I think that the main reason is that premade characters generally have more personallity and usually have better stories attached to them. It seems like, to me anyway, that games that have you create a character are taking the easy way out by just making the character a vessel for your fantasies over an actual person. I don't hate character creations by any means, but if a developer came up to me and asked me to choose, I'd go premade all the way. Anyone else feel the same way?

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By WilltheMagicAsian

It really is just game specific. But since developers never give me the full beard I want, I would actually prefer to create my own character or for them to just give me a bearded version of their main character.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Doesn't it depend on the game? If I'm playing a Bethesda game (they're the guys behind Elder Scrolls and Fallout, right?), I want some Sexyface action; if I'm playing Persona 4, I want to get my Yu on.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Commisar123

I usually use a pre-set and tweak the design a little bit, so I like the created characters, but it doesn't need to be super deep.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By beforet

Do you mean premade as in everything about the character from its looks, personality, and choices is predetermined (like Final Fantasy?) or do you mean like choosing default Shepard over making your own?

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By penguindust

Definitely create-a-character. I get into those things deeply and will screw around for hours tweaking a character. Hell, in Saints Row The Third, I have a huge wardrobe for my character and I change her outfits every time I come back to a crib. I also frequent change her appearance slightly at the cosmetic surgery places around Steelport. A robust character creator is something that attracts me to a game.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Premade almost always looks better. Like in Mass Effect where it's based on a real guy.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NTM

It depends on the game and what the developers are trying to do with their game. I like creating a character in Mass Effect, but I wouldn't want to in Dead Space 2.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#9  Edited By Yummylee

Depends on the game, though I always appreciate the option for me to tweak my main character in anything, or at the very least a varied select of outfits. I never played with default Shepard across my 5 playthroughs for both ME games.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By NoobSauceG7

I agree that it depends on the type of game like it is fun to create guys in games like Skyrim and Dark Souls but it something like Mass Effect I would like to use a pre-made (default) Shepard cause all the other ones look weird. It just doesn't have the flexibility with the voice acting and the amount of customization but something like Saints Row the Third is great since you can change the voice and make each character absolutely crazy.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MikeGosot

I love to create my characters. Seriously, Def Jam: Fight For NY wouldn't be the same if the dude you were playing as, were just another dude.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Pezen

As noted, it's a game to game situation. That being said, there's few things as fun as spending most of your evening playing a new game simply in the creation part of it. Which is probably half of the reason I own too many of THQs wrestling games.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Aus_azn

CAC works better in Bethesda games, presets in Bioware games.

As for preference, I almost always go custom just because I can.

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Masha2932

Preset characters for most games. I just can't muster the enthusiasm nowadays to create a character.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By FLStyle

I'm all about Default Male-Shep because he gets so much trailer time, other games I just create.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By ReyGitano

@MooseyMcMan said:

Premade almost always looks better. Like in Mass Effect where it's based on a real guy.

That's the situation where I would go with a premade model since it's vastly superior. But if the presets are just models made from the create-a-character assets, then I usually pick one of those for my base and then change hair, beard, eyes and tweak some fine settings to my liking.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By spazmaster666

Depends on how good the developers are at creating pre-made faces. I'm not a fan of the new default female Shepard for ME3 for instance and will definitely be rolling my ME2 Shepard instead.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By emprpngn

I like to be able to change things like hair color/style/length, eye color, and facial hair, but the detailed face-shape-morphing stuff for every single physical feature just isn't for me.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By DystopiaX

create but I don't get into details like the nose shape, etc. cause I'm too lazy. I'll just pick the preset that I like and then tweak it slightly.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By iam3green

i like premade characters. the characters usually come out weird and doesn't fit the story to games. some games it does good but others it doesn't.

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By floodiastus

@PenguinDust said:

Definitely create-a-character. I get into those things deeply and will screw around for hours tweaking a character. Hell, in Saints Row The Third, I have a huge wardrobe for my character and I change her outfits every time I come back to a crib. I also frequent change her appearance slightly at the cosmetic surgery places around Steelport. A robust character creator is something that attracts me to a game.

Agree, create-a-character is a HUGE deal for me too as is any other form of customize options

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ShaunassNZ

Depends on the game. In most games that allow it, I usually just make a character that no one would want to play as if it was pre-made.

Example
Example
Deleth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Deleth

Create a character. Unless the character creator is really, really, really bad. : |

mortal_sb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mortal_sb

"serious" games (mass effect): premade

"stupid" games (saints row): create a character

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By TobbRobb

I want a good character, no matter who makes it. I don't trust my own creative spark that much,

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends on the game, Mass Effect is in theory a create-a-character game but Shepard have a (or a couple of) very defined personalities.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By Yanngc33

I usually tweak the pre-set

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Aegon

I usually like to create a character. If the game has enough options then I can make someone that sort of looks like me, or like in the case of Amalur, I can at least make a cool looking dude.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@PenguinDust said:

Same here. If a game would work with creation tools, I want them. I'm starting to wonder if Mass Effect should really have it because created characters tend to look really poorly animated in the facial region (and they make your skin look much warmer and darker in the menu for creating a character and then the game is nothing but blue and white lighting and suddenly you realize you made a paper white character.

Also, some of the funniest things I've ever seen where Oblivion character creation sillies.

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CptChiken
@Commisar123 said:

I usually use a pre-set and tweak the design a little bit, so I like the created characters, but it doesn't need to be super deep.

That is exactly what i do, i like to change the faces slighty to make them look more badass but in general the presets are just about right.  
The modellers know more about how to model humans than i do.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By MysteriousBob

I've sunk 20 hours into Soul Calibur V and I'm yet to use a default costume. The creation in Saints Row The 3rd was also a major selling point for me.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CheapPoison

Premade.

I always enjoyed games more like that. I guess that is also cause those characters got a well developed story arc instead of just 20 options that aren't the best executed or not too different.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sooty

It depends how good the character creator is, I think the Mass Effect one is kind of bad and all the custom options look kind of weird.

Saints Row the Third was really impressive in this area. I didn't feel I was making an inferior looking version of the 'poster' character.

ftomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ftomato

I personally like games better when my character has a personality and voice acting, silent protagonists really weird me out. There's some kind of weird idea developers have that having character customization doesn't work with "active" protagonists, which is why I prefer premade characters. Mass Effect is a notable exception because the character has a personality, but on the other hand it doesn't have a very good character creator - most people who use it can't really make a good looking character, so they use the default anyway. I haven't played SR3 yet which seems to be another exception, but they actually have 7 voice actors for the main character, which doesn't really seem like a practical solution for most developers anyway.

(Course, I still like games like Skyrim with silent protagonists, but I prefer characters with personality)

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ravenlight

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

It really is just game specific. But since developers never give me the full beard I want, I would actually prefer to create my own character or for them to just give me a bearded version of their main character.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a virtual-beard obsession.

@FLStyle said:

I'm all about Default Male-Shep because he gets so much trailer time, other games I just create.

This, too. I love customization in other games but DMS is how I remember that character.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By Morrow

@Deathawk said:

making the character a vessel for your fantasies over an actual person

Well, that's my motivation. During my character creation, my mind automatically forms a backstory, a family, friends, quirks, etc. of that character, so they become an "actual person" to me ^^

optimalpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By optimalpower

More customization is never a bad thing. Unless of course the game is specifically about a certain type of character.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#38  Edited By spiceninja

Preset. I've never been very creative when it comes to character customization and I always either make them look to plain or too ridiculous and I'm never satisfied.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#39  Edited By Hizang

I always say I like Create a character, but In reality having a preset character is so much easier and usually a better looking character.

fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40  Edited By fugie7

Create a character. It's more fun to fill in the blank with your character.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By phantomzxro

yes it depends on the game but given the option Create a character all the way. There are many games where your playing a set character with his/her set personality. So when given the option to role play and make the person i want to make is always fun. Most times i like to put me into the game or made up person of my creation. Fallout, mass effect, skyrim, dark souls, dragon age and similar games like it benefit the most to me with this kind of freedom to be and make whoever you want to.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#42  Edited By Little_Socrates

I really like the best of both worlds. In a game where I'm forced to make choices, I prefer either a sort of blank slate or a create-a-character. In a game with no choices, I really don't care.

That said, Saints Row The Third is my favorite character creator since the original Mass Effect, and I'm only on ME's side at all because it was so simplistic and minimal.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By napalm

@MikeGosot said:

I love to create my characters. Seriously, Def Jam: Fight For NY wouldn't be the same if the dude you were playing as, were just another dude.

Fight for New York.

That game... is awesome.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44  Edited By s10129107

created characters usually look like all ass and by their very nature have no personalities. I'd much rather let a professional model my character for me than have to assemble it myself with overly limited tools.

upwarDBound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By upwarDBound

If a game lacks a strongly defined protagonist and is played at least partly in third-person, character creation options are essential. In heavily story driven games that already have strong protagonists, this option could end up being detrimental to the experience.

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Sogeman

I take the preset and change the hair.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MikeGosot
@Napalm said:

@MikeGosot said:

Fight for New York.

That game... is awesome.

Glad i'm not the only one who FUCKING LOVES that game. The combat was very, very fun... Everything about that game was amazing.
w00ties

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By w00ties

It depends on the game.

Massive RPGs: Create-a-character

Anything else: Preset characters

To actually take the time to create a character in titles like Gears of War or Call of Duty would seem absolutely pointless. In the end, I don't really care what the individual looks like when I'm being driven through a linear story while simultaneously blowing up things. When it comes to RPGs though you're not only supposed to feel like you own the character, but also play a very particular role in order to fulfill that characters personality. When there's an option to make moral choices, collect loot, and follow skill trees to develop a personalized character, why not spend the time developing your appearance?