Do you prefer games at 30fps or 60fps?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

60. I feel a better question would have been, "would you prefer a more detailed game running at 30 FPS or a less detailed game running at 60?" In which case I would still go with 60. On the PC at least, I'll gladly make some graphical sacrifices to get a game running at 60 FPS at my monitor's native resolution, 1900 x 1200.

But I will gladly take a 30 FPS game over a 60 FPS game if the latter keeps stuttering on me.

ds8k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By ds8k
@matthias2437

I prefer 120. Just because I'm a PC elitist and can play almost every game at 120.

Well yeah, I'm with you there. If UT2004 wasn't hitting 90 constantly (frames cap for online) then I was not a happy camper.
Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Subjugation

Console games shoot for 30 fps so they can have more eye candy. Obviously if all things were equal and we were only talking about frame rate, 60 fps is preferable. Once you experience the fluidity you won't ever be the same.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By Jimbo

I don't even know what you're trying to say here. If you're suggesting trading frames for graphical quality then that at least makes sense. If you're suggesting that, everything else being equal, you'd still rather have 30fps than 60fps then no, you are wrong.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#55  Edited By swoxx

@evilrazer said:

@Swoxx: I guess the lower FPS you have the more time you have to react! Use some skill, son!

God, my avatar still has new year's hat.

Yeah, That's totally how it works, I forgot sorry!

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Adamsons

60 is ideal, but I can deal with 45 in most games.  Much lower than that and you start to feel the difference.

Edit - id rather have 45 stable than a 35 - 60 range.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By SSully

I will take 60 over 30 any day obviously, but if it can hold a steady 30 or 40 FPS then I can live with it. What matters is consistency. Nothing is more annoying then having a game dip in framerate multiple times during a play session.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#58  Edited By jorbear

All of the frames.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@AlKusanagi: Read my post right above yours. :-) As a side note: TV shows are 29.97 fps.

DirtyEagles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By DirtyEagles

i'm sorry, but this seems like a silly question.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#61  Edited By emem

At least 60, I prefer 120. 

People who think that 30 FPS are enough are crazy. I had to stop playing Xenoblade Chronicles, because the motion blur caused by the low FPS was hurting my eyes...

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By canucks23

@Bobby_The_Great said:

@Demoskinos: See, I prefer the Witcher 2 at 30fps over 60fps. The 60 drives me nuts and loses the atmosphere for me.

This has to be one of the dumbest things i've read on this forum in a while.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#63  Edited By cornbredx

I can only tell when it drops to about 20 or less. I cant tell if its above 30 though. As long as the game runs, and isn't stuttering/lagging out button response, I don't care.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By bybeach

I'd like to honestly know why a game looks better/more atmospheric at 30 rather than 60 fps. If the line were held however, that is a locked on 30 FPS, does that substantially affect gameplay? I myself was always under the notion it is at 40 fps where most ppl.'s eyes can't notice, and thought it wise to be at 60 fps simply because it allows for cushion, what my dad used to lecture me as overshooting a mark to assure holding it.

But I do not understand this atmospheric/detail thing at 30 fps, and would like to.. the mechanics of it.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#65  Edited By ZenaxPure

I won't lie on the console side of things (since imo this is a thing that matters more here than on PC) if a game is super fast paced and has a lot of action I actually prefer the hit to visuals for 60 FPS, but any sort of narrative game or visually spectacular game if they have to bump it down to 30 to make it look better I want them to take that route. So really it's a game by game basis for me.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#66  Edited By sopranosfan

Almost all movies and TV shows are at 24-30 FPS even HD and they look fine to me. As stated by some, stability is more important to me than FPS but as also stated by some 60 fps is less likely to be noticed when it does lose stability because you have more room for error.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#67  Edited By buzz_killington

60fps is so damned crisp, and makes the controls seem so damned responsive. You must be pretty crazy to want less frames per second (like that Jimmy Fallon commercial, "who doesn't want more cash?")

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@Bobby_The_Great said:

This is something that I've always wondered. I tend to prefer 30fps. I think developers always get shadows, lighting and just better detail with a game running at 30fps. It's part of the reason film (as in movies) runs at 24fps as opposed to 60fps which a lot of home movies tend to look like.

You know, the ONLY reason film can run at 24FPS is because the shutter opens twice on each frame. This tricks your brain into thinking it's seeing twice the framerate (48FPS). So there's that.
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Pinworm45

That is not why movies run at 24 FPS and I don't think many of you understand what FPS even is.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Hitchenson

I just had a good laugh reading the title of this thread, thank you.

Console games fucking hurt to look at these days most of the time, shit's so noticeable once you hit lower than 60.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Spoonman671

It really depends on the game.  For example, Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time is absolutely beautiful and fluid at 60fps, while Resistance 3, another Insomniac game, is afforded a lot more horsepower for lighting and particle effects--a good fit for its focus on atmosphere--by only running 30fps.  I feel this is the best fit for both of these titles.

Of course, with unlimited graphics processing potential, higher fps is always better.

Avatar image for bigchickendinner
BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By BigChickenDinner

I have no max FPS... I'm always running on ludicrous speed.

No Caption Provided
Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@doobie said:

how manys fps's are my eyes

Fighter Pilots can distinguish the make of an enemy aircraft flashed in silhouette for 1/250th of a second,  so under certain circumstances 250FPS can be perceived. 

However, your eyes do not work in 'frames per second'. Ever looked at a cars tire rim while it was moving forward and it looks like the wheel is spinning backward? Your brain uses all kinds of tricks, and your eyesight isn't nearly as good as you think it is. Most of what you think you 'see' is actually your brain filling in the gaps. We have a very, very narrow field of focus, and everything outside of that is a blurry mess. Your brain just does a good job of remembering what's around your field of focus and fills it in.

Here's a good example of how your brain fills stuff in. Each one of your eyes has a blind spot where it sees NOTHING. Do you notice it? Of course not. But you can prove it to yourself, so let's do that.

Close or cover your left eye and put your face close to the monitor. Look at the + in the picture below, and start slowly backing away. You'll eventually see the circle disappear completely! But there's not a 'hole' in your vision because your brain fills it in with whatever is around it:
No Caption Provided
Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Spoonman671
@BigChickenDinner said:

I have no max FPS... I'm always running on ludicrous speed.

No Caption Provided
If you're not rolling at plaid, then you're not shit.
Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#75  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@Skytylz said:

Once you get use to 60fps it's hard to go back.

Incredibly.

And if you can't tell the difference something's wrong with your brain or your eyes. That's just fact, you should be able to easily tell the difference, because it's massive.

I don't mind 30fps too much as long as it's never dipping below, and stays constant. But things like Reach where there were drops all over the place, sometimes to like 15 fps, it drives me nuts. My PC is pretty shitty at the moment and I can typically run at 45-60 but when a game drops below that or hitches a lot, its hard to handle. Metal Gear Solid 4 is a great example of a game I've played recently that reminded me how much I love high framerates.

I'd rather have a game that looks like Rage and runs like Rage than MGS4. Gears 3 is a good middle ground, which seems to be always over 30 during gameplay, and was nice and smooth. That said, whenever developers release 60FPS trailers (BF3, Alice, MK9) it always blows me away and reminds me what's so fantastic. That Trine 2 Quicklook in 60FPS was amazing too.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By beforet

I want both. 60 frames with great detail. Guess that's why I'm mostly PC.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By scarace360

60fps or nothing.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

60, easily. When you start getting down to 20 and below, it kills the game for me. The only time I think it's acceptable is if it's a sandbox game, and there's so much going on that you can understand why the framerate wouldn't be great.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#79  Edited By musubi

@Fajita_Jim said:

@doobie said:

how manys fps's are my eyes

Fighter Pilots can distinguish the make of an enemy aircraft flashed in silhouette for 1/250th of a second, so under certain circumstances 250FPS can be perceived.

However, your eyes do not work in 'frames per second'. Ever looked at a cars tire rim while it was moving forward and it looks like the wheel is spinning backward? Your brain uses all kinds of tricks, and your eyesight isn't nearly as good as you think it is. Most of what you think you 'see' is actually your brain filling in the gaps. We have a very, very narrow field of focus, and everything outside of that is a blurry mess. Your brain just does a good job of remembering what's around your field of focus and fills it in.

Here's a good example of how your brain fills stuff in. Each one of your eyes has a blind spot where it sees NOTHING. Do you notice it? Of course not. But you can prove it to yourself, so let's do that.

Close or cover your left eye and put your face close to the monitor. Look at the + in the picture below, and start slowly backing away. You'll eventually see the circle disappear completely! But there's not a 'hole' in your vision because your brain fills it in with whatever is around it:
No Caption Provided

Thats pretty incredible! I've always known about the "blind spot" but never knew there was a way to actually "test" it. I've also heard that your eyes see everything upside down and your brain actually flips the image. The human body is fucking amazing.

n11n12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By n11n12

I'm still comfortable occasionally playing Genesis games at about 10 FPS. Am I the weird one here?

moncole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By moncole

I never notice. I am to busy enjoying my game.

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@Demoskinos said:

Thats pretty incredible! I've always known about the "blind spot" but never knew there was a way to actually "test" it. I've also heard that your eyes see everything upside down and your brain actually flips the image. The human body is fucking amazing.

That's correct, the image of what you're seeing is upside-down on your retina. 

There are many fun things you can do to fool your eyes and brain; optical illusions are an example of this. Most relevant to the discussion of FPS, however, is persistence...i.e. afterimage. If you printed your screenshots on tidy little picture cards and put them in a flipbook and flipped them at 30 per second, it would stutter badly. Reason being it's not backlit, and therefore there is less persistence.

Also, viewing 30FPS on a game in a dark room will look smoother than viewing a 30FPS game in a bright room for the same reason.
hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By hbkdx12

60fps

After playing rage and seeing early footage of Uncharted 3 running at 60fps, the smoothness if fucking godlike

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By kindgineer

@shinboy630 said:

@Swoxx said:

Why in the name of fucking GOD would you want lower FPS?

This. If you can't tell the different between 30fps and 60fps you need to play more games at 60. You will be shocked how different (and better if you ask me) it is.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By geirr

This must be a console-specific question.

On PC, if you get 60fps with no loss of detail, 60 is an obvious choice.

Avatar image for blastprocessing
BlastProcessing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By BlastProcessing

@SlasherMan said:

@Skytylz said:

Once you get use to 60fps it's hard to go back.

This. Playing a game at 30 FPS can be immensely jarring once your eyes get acclimated to 60. The drops become a lot more noticeable and much harder to ignore.

These two about sum it up for me.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#87  Edited By GS_Dan

If it can be run at 60, run it at 60.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#88  Edited By Branthog

Would you like a kiss from an attractive woman or a kick in the nuts from Bluto?

What you're surely really asking is whether you are willing to sacrifice performance for visual fidelity, in some circumstances. Of course, there are plenty of situations where most of us would do that. For example, 30fps with more graphical detail and complexity is just fine with an MMO or an RPG. 60fps with less fidelity (think how damn smooth COD games look) is a fantastic and important compromise with a racing, fighting, or multiplayer shooter. I'm pretty sure we all reached this consensus like fifteen or twenty years ago. And on PC (well, until LCDs), we used to consider 60fps the minimal acceptable frame rate (though we often had no true logical reason for it).

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#89  Edited By Raven10

It's funny. I almost always prefer 60 fps. Never had an instance where I thought 30 was better until I played Arkham City. For some reason that game just looked better at 30. And with the DX11 effects turned on that's right around what my framerate is. I tried it with them turned off where my framerate was in the high 40's and low 50's and I just didn't like how it looked. It's really the first time that ever happened to me. I always prefer playing games on PC due to higher framerates but this game alone didn't work like that for me.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#90  Edited By landon

This is a dumb question.

BUCK3TM4N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By BUCK3TM4N

a game is different than a movie, so 60 fps

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#92  Edited By musubi

@Fajita_Jim: Interesting!

No Caption Provided
SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By SlashDance

Depends on the game. Not all genres benefit from a solid 60.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By amir90

100 fps.
Too bad my monitor doesn't support it :(

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#95  Edited By GreggD

@MildMolasses said:

I don't care. If a game is at 30, fine. If it's 60, fine

The thing I don't get is when they talk about fps in racing games. I only notice the fps on non static objects in games. The back of a car doesn't look a whole lot different if you double the frame count, and everything is is whizzing by to fast for it to even matter

About that. Playing DiRT 3 as opposed to Forza 4 is like night and day. Forza looks incredibly smooth, and gives you an even greater sense of speed. DiRT 3 is good with speed, but it's still a pretty big difference.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By captain_clayman

60fps with motion blur is the best.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#97  Edited By MildMolasses

@GreggD said:

@MildMolasses said:

I don't care. If a game is at 30, fine. If it's 60, fine

The thing I don't get is when they talk about fps in racing games. I only notice the fps on non static objects in games. The back of a car doesn't look a whole lot different if you double the frame count, and everything is is whizzing by to fast for it to even matter

About that. Playing DiRT 3 as opposed to Forza 4 is like night and day. Forza looks incredibly smooth, and gives you an even greater sense of speed. DiRT 3 is good with speed, but it's still a pretty big difference.

I remember some complaints on the Bombcast about NFS: Hot Pursuit only being 30 fps. The sense of speed in that game is insane. I can't imagine what doubling the frame rate could have possibly done for that game (and yes, I'm fully aware that was NFS does is drastically different than what Forza or Dirt are aiming for)

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By captain_clayman

@believer258 said:

60 is better, but I don't mind 30.

And for the love of God, I've seen both. It's splitting hairs as far as I'm concerned; I'm far more interested in the game part of the video game than the technical aspects of them.

What I don't get is this line from the OP:

It's part of the reason film (as in movies) runs at 24fps as opposed to 60fps which a lot of home movies tend to look like.

Just... no. Movies still run at 24FPS because it's cheaper to make them that way. A number of famous movie directors, Peter Jackson and James Cameron among them, are filming future movies at 48 because it's better. It looks more natural and fluid.

Note that the movie thing is also splitting hairs, but the reasons behind them are different. Games on consoles run at 30 because that frees up a large number of resources; movies run at 24 because that's cheap.

movies at 24 doesnt look bad because there's motion blur.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By korwin

@shinboy630 said:

@Swoxx said:

Why in the name of fucking GOD would you want lower FPS?

This. If you can't tell the different between 30fps and 60fps you need to play more games at 60. You will be shocked how different (and better if you ask me) it is.

And perhaps see a neurologist about the problem...

Of course I prefer 60 frames over 30, if there was no difference in graphical fidelity who on earth wouldn't.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By laserbolts

@Dtat said:

I am shocked that people can't notice the difference between 60 and 30. Maybe it's because they don't play a lot of games at solid 60 fps? It's hugely different.

I agree it makes no sense to me.