#1 Posted by raddevon (437 posts) -
#2 Posted by Bigandtasty (3204 posts) -

I prefer splitscreen because it's just more fun, and you're guaranteed not to have your experience cut short by your internet hiccuping.

#3 Posted by Crixaliz (782 posts) -

Splitscreen to the point I don't even have Xbox-live gold.

#4 Posted by PenguinDust (12642 posts) -

I miss split-screen since that's how I usually play multiplayer games, but I like the option of online even though I don't use it as much.  If I had to choose, right now in my life, I'd prefer more games with local co-op or competitive play over online play.  It didn't used to be that way for me, but it is now. 

#5 Posted by brooksee (234 posts) -

Online multiplayer is so convenient, but nothing beats taking out the dude sitting next to you and being able to witness his reaction first hand. 

You think gamers of the current gen will miss LAN parties like older gamers miss the arcade scene?

#6 Posted by Mofudos (7 posts) -

I think I prefer online play.  I was never a huge lan party guy so the most people I ever played with in person was four.  Great fun and all but not quite the same as having a dozen or so people to play with online. 

#7 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2913 posts) -

I haven't played much split screen since the N64 era. Most local multiplayer I do now is single screen (fighting games, shmups, Metal Slug, etc).

#8 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

I prefer online because sharing a screen is lame, though I miss the days of good split screen games when you could have fun with everyone in the same room

#9 Posted by damnboyadvance (4061 posts) -

It depends. With games that have tons of people, of course I prefer online multiplayer. Even against only a few people, I still prefer it. But split-screen isn't too bad if you don't have too many people.

#10 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

Split screen. Plus I really appreciate Split screen XBL games (L4D and Gears2), my wife and I put plenty of hours into those two with our friends.

#11 Posted by iAmJohn (6135 posts) -

I'd rather a game have online and no splitscreen than splitscreen and no online.  But I do love me some splitscreen.

#12 Posted by Mikemcn (7028 posts) -

Splitscreen is more fun, playing with a friend is so much better when you can joke around with them.
#13 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

I like having both options, spliscreen is better for some games, online for others

#14 Posted by JJOR64 (19071 posts) -

I like both.

#15 Posted by JDoobs (92 posts) -

While split-screen is fun because you're physically in the room with the person, I hate the screen distortion that comes from split-screen. I'd rather play online with someone using a headset than do split-screen.

#16 Edited by Ugalde (140 posts) -
I like to play online. I get headaches if I play split screen. 

EDIT: My bad I thought you meant campaign Co-op. I would no matter what want online versus modes than split screen. I dont even care about split screen outside of campaign.
#17 Posted by Fallen189 (5052 posts) -
#18 Posted by natetodamax (19220 posts) -

Honestly, I can't choose. Online multiplayer is a blast, but I've had a lot of great experiences playing split screen with a friend

#19 Posted by Turtlefuzz (257 posts) -

Some of my best memories are from Split Screen multiplayer. It's fun, even if you suck. Just laughing, talking smack and generally being obnoxious. Online multiplayer just isn't the same experience. But, these days split screen is bare bones, look at Call of Duty's multiplayer, less maps, weapons, and no custom classes. It's a shame, but still I prefer the joy of getting some take out, loading in Time Splitters 2, Halo, Soul Caliber, Tekken, Street Fighter, Marvel vs. Capcom, or Call of Duty and playing for hours on end.

#20 Posted by KnifeySpoony (1167 posts) -

Playing games split screen is fun, but doesn't happen all that often. The interaction in person between friends is much better, though.

#21 Edited by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

Splitscreen, usually people like me play with relatives, and it's no fun not having that option and potentially forcing you to buy another console just to play with your brother :S

Other times it's just more fun with friends when playing splitscreen. In co-op games such as Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, you are able to co-ordinate better and "bond" with your friend(s).

#22 Posted by SoothsayerGB (1468 posts) -

I really prefer to play with myself.  I don't like split screens.  Since the other player always watches me.  It's annoying when someone, sitting next to me is breaking my concentration.   As I try to shot off my gun.  Then if they get off before me, I feel bad.  To much added competition. Since you know they aren't going to reach over and help you.

Yeah, I definitely prefer to just close my door.  Light some candles, pour some wine and play with myself.

#23 Posted by ajamafalous (12166 posts) -

I can't stand playing split-screen games anymore.

#24 Posted by jkz (4062 posts) -
@SoothsayerGB said:
" I really prefer to play with myself.  I don't like split screens.  Since the other player always watches me.  It's annoying when someone, sitting next to me is breaking my concentration.   As I try to shot off my gun.  Then if they get off before me, I feel bad.  To much added competition. Since you know they aren't going to reach over and help you.  Yeah, I definitely prefer to just close my door.  Light some candles, pour some wine and play with myself. "
That was the most suggestive comment that could possible pass for legitimate in a while
#25 Posted by nrain (1274 posts) -

Online, split screen is just eye straining.
#26 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4610 posts) -

Split screen only because being with people while playing video games always makes it more hilarious. 

#27 Posted by Mofudos (7 posts) -
@SoothsayerGB said:
" I really prefer to play with myself.  I don't like split screens.  Since the other player always watches me.  It's annoying when someone, sitting next to me is breaking my concentration.   As I try to shot off my gun.  Then if they get off before me, I feel bad.  To much added competition. Since you know they aren't going to reach over and help you.  Yeah, I definitely prefer to just close my door.  Light some candles, pour some wine and play with myself. "
Bravo, sir.
#28 Posted by Creamypies (4091 posts) -

Split-screen or System Link.

It's just alot more fun than playing online.

#29 Edited by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Depends on the game. But online is preferred most of the time. The restrictions in current current tech is the problem.  

I did see an interesting new TV at CES 08 though, but that requires glasses. It allows two signal streams to be played on the same screen simultaneously. It's weird but it works.

#30 Posted by Absurd (2934 posts) -

Online Multiplayer