• 90 results
Edited 10 months, 21 days ago

Poll: Do You prefer Origin to Steam? (398 votes)

Yes 5%
No 95%

I recently had a conversation with somebody who argued fiercely that Origin was superior to Steam, which seemed strange to me purely because I never hear anybody talking about Origin at all. So strong was his love of Origin, or hatred of Steam, that he proclaimed if it wasn't for his already large library of games on the service he would gladly never use Steam again. He didn't elaborate much on his dislike of Steam other than to repeatedly say that Origin was better. Despite owning a few games on Origin I've never actually used the service and have no basis for comparison, so I decided to kick this one to Giant Bomb.

How many people dig Origin over Steam and Why?

#1 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3199 posts) -

wait so is Steam "Yes" and Origins "No". I'm so confused...

#2 Edited by Pr1mus (3872 posts) -

I don't like it better because it's not nearly as feature rich but it is functional and not in any way a bigger obstacle to play games than Steam can be at times. And besides preferring to have all your games conveniently in one place i don't think there's any valid arguments against Origin anymore. Certainly not the tinfoil hat conspiracy about it being a spyware and nonsense like this that some crazy people still throw around.

#3 Posted by JasonR86 (9657 posts) -

Nope!

#4 Posted by mikey87144 (1728 posts) -

I used Origin to boot up a few games that's not available on Steam and all I'll say is that it's competent but that's it.

#5 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Thus far, I've resisted the temptation to buy any games within EA's ecosystem. That might change when/if Origin manages to out-Steam Steam.

#6 Edited by ViciousBearMauling (1028 posts) -

Origin refuses to work 90% of the time for me.

#7 Posted by djou (874 posts) -

I can't tell if this is a trolling poll or not, but you got to be kidding right?

#8 Edited by Lydian_Sel (2483 posts) -

@djou: No, this is genuine. The conversation I had struck me as such an odd thing that I became curious to see if there were others who felt the same.

#9 Posted by Shaunage (700 posts) -

Are you insane? No.

#10 Edited by FriendlyPhoenix (384 posts) -

I don't think it's better, but I do think that Steam and Origin are pretty much on par save for Steam's large library. Yes, Origin doesn't have any of Valve's superfluous community bullshit, but does anyone actually give a fuck about that part of Steam?

Honestly though, fuck both DRMs. If I could drop them both and just use GOG for everything, I'd be completely satisfied.

#11 Posted by TruthTellah (8779 posts) -

I think you accidentally talked to a crazy person.

#12 Posted by Chaser324 (6411 posts) -

Oops...misread the title and voted in favor of Origin.

#13 Edited by onarum (2066 posts) -

..... what?

oh you mean that thing I launch when I need to play battlefield? why would a battlefield launcher be better than steam?

#14 Posted by Aetheldod (3552 posts) -

Oh hell no .... I have to use it but is BS compared to steam and I think that it has no offline mode , unlike steam (or i haven´t found it yet)

#15 Posted by afabs515 (1019 posts) -

uhhhh... no? Does anyone?

#16 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3199 posts) -

Oops...misread the title and voted in favor of Origin.

Say hello to EA spam emails for life.

#17 Posted by audioBusting (1506 posts) -

Origin is not bad... but Steam has more available and upcoming features and Origin is not catching up fast enough.

#18 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3199 posts) -

@audiobusting said:

Origin is not bad... but Steam has more available and upcoming features and Origin is not catching up fast enough.

I think another problem with Origins are their sales and deals suuuuuuckk. I don't see too many often but when they do have sales they are the usual games. Sorry EA I don't want to buy Dead Space 1 and 2 again for $4.99 each.

#19 Posted by L1GHTN1N (448 posts) -

No. Not even close. Origin holds my EA games and can sync them up even when I haven't registered them through it which it nice (also a bit creepy), but outside of that... no. I like the community stuff on Steam better, the Store/UI is much easier to navigate (Origin's is still pretty bad), Big Picture is usually nice (getting better), of course the Steam sales, and I prefer darker colors to eye-popping white. Of course not to mention I'm already so far into Steam's ecosystem that I couldn't leave it even if I wanted to.

#20 Edited by DonutFever (3551 posts) -

HOW HAVE SO MANY PEOPLE VOTED ORIGIN?

I WAS EXPECTING LIKE 1%

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?

I mean, I'm not massively against Origin or anything, but I thought the internet as a whole pretty much all hated EA and loved Valve.

#21 Edited by Rick_Fingers (524 posts) -

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*deep breath*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

#22 Edited by audioBusting (1506 posts) -

@i_stay_puft: Yeah, all I have on it is the Humble Bundle and Mass Effect 3. EA's exorbitant pricing for Australians isn't helping either.

#23 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1381 posts) -

I prefer the overall look of Origin than Steam. Origin as a piece of software never bothered me other then the fact that it prevents me from having everything on Steam.

#24 Posted by believer258 (11794 posts) -

@pr1mus said:

I don't like it better because it's not nearly as feature rich but it is functional and not in any way a bigger obstacle to play games than Steam can be at times. And besides preferring to have all your games conveniently in one place i don't think there's any valid arguments against Origin anymore. Certainly not the tinfoil hat conspiracy about it being a spyware and nonsense like this that some crazy people still throw around.

Precisely this.

#25 Posted by bobafettjm (1455 posts) -

No I do not. It seems to be lacking a lot of features, and it's just another marketplace. I really don't need another marketplace to spread my games out on.

#26 Posted by StarvingGamer (8146 posts) -

Yes and no. Certain parts of the Origin interface are significantly more intelligently designed than Steam's current implementation. The way they handle DLC stands out as particularly smooth. There are pluses and minuses to both. I tend to buy my games on Steam more often, simply because that's where the better prices (and my RL friends) are, but if the prices are better or it's an exclusive, I will by on Origin without any qualms.

#27 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1421 posts) -

I prefer Steam to Origin, but I have nothing against Origin.

#28 Posted by personandstuff (82 posts) -

Nope. Origin has a nicer UI but it's slower and obviously doesn't have as many games.

#29 Edited by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

#30 Posted by bybeach (4789 posts) -

I'm sure Origon is competent. For some weird reason I am having difficulty loading games from GOG. Just not getting it, though I had SS2 loaded once for a play though.

#31 Posted by endoworks (284 posts) -

Origon is fine, and I really enjoyed the BF3 webpage interface stuff on PC. But I still like steam more because A) I have a strong library there B) I have a valve bias, I know this isn't fair but Valve has always made solid stuff and I know on steam I will get that.

#32 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (533 posts) -

I use Steam, but don't necessarily have a problem with Origin. I guess I'd use it if there was something on there that I wanted and couldn't get through Steam or GOG.

#33 Posted by face15 (1290 posts) -

I get significantly faster download speeds on Origin than I do on Steam, so that's pretty alright.

That said Steam is much more feature rich and has better sales. I also have like 20 friends on Steam and 1 on Origin, and over 100 games on Steam and about 10 on Origin. Steam is the winner for me, but I don't really have a problem with Origin.

#34 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

I like The Sims a lot but no

#35 Posted by ajamafalous (11959 posts) -

No?

lol

#36 Posted by Orexis97 (35 posts) -

Origin has a tendency to totally freeze my computer for several seconds whenever I attempt to log in.

So until they fix that, fuck Origin.

#37 Posted by Toastburner_B (147 posts) -

I think both are just fine, though Steam gets preference just because I have more games and more friends on it.

#38 Posted by joshwent (2172 posts) -

Origin is, at best... utterly pointless.

#39 Edited by djou (874 posts) -

@lydian_sel: Then your friend is mental. Origin is EA portal that only launches their games and little else. Rare price breaks, aggressive marketing for DLC, with little incentive to users. The goddamn program doesn't even launch to my game library but takes me to their fucking store. Steam is the most progressive gaming platform in existence. Besides offering a shitload of games at cut-rate prices, Valve actually has decent F2P games, and a load of other incentives to keep people coming back. It wasn't always like that but they are the rare company that did a reversal and actually won the goodwill of a lot of PC gamers, some of the hardest to impress audience around.

#40 Edited by Slag (4244 posts) -

NO.

#41 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11622 posts) -

Does your friend work for EA? Is he high? Those are the only two ways I could ever justify liking Origin more than Steam.

#42 Posted by Seedofpower (3928 posts) -

Does your friend work for EA? Is he high? Those are the only two ways I could ever justify liking Origin more than Steam.

I think it might be, "this is what I started using first, therefore I prefer this one more," syndrome.

#43 Edited by Dark_Lord_Spam (3253 posts) -

As someone who just yesterday spent several hours trying to wrangle my Origin installs around my hard drive just to get BF3 to launch again, and can't for the life of me figure out why certain options in that client make zero difference to what it actually does: yes.

I mean no. No is what I meant.

#44 Edited by mjbrune (73 posts) -

There a lot of issues the last time I tried origin. It really made me feel like it was just there to grab for money and it really didn't feel like it wanted to match me with the product I wanted to buy. A few things I'd like to point out:

* Origin constantly asks if I agree to the EULA even if it hasn't changed. Steam has asked me once the entire time I've had it for 10 years.

* Origin constantly gives bad and misleading search results. A lot of the time I end up on the xbox 360 or PS3 page for a game when I am on a PC and the entire client knows that. Plain and simple if you can't design a site to get me to the right platform while it's using your web browser then you don't deserve my sale.

* It constantly forgets my login information even though I've clicked remember me.

* The front page is constantly just ad space for 2 or 3 games total. What ever is EA's flavor of the week/month/quarter. Right now it's The Sims/SimCity, Battlefield and Fifa. It's really sad that they have a decent library of games but only EA games make the front page and worse yet it's not even diverse enough to fill out the front page. When is the last time you saw Warp on origin even though it requires origin to run? Even if you put the word War into the search bar it drops down with 2 games filling 4 slots, Planets Vs Zombies and Medal of Honor. It's things like this why steam is simply better.

That said steam seems to be slipping itself. With it's constant outages and server issues. Perhaps this is more CS:GO than steam but right now I can't even login to steam because "I am not connected to the internet."

#45 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

I like steam, thou I think I waste way more time playing Origin Games (Battlefield and SimCity), and Blizzard Games. Also Origin has pretty much the only game I'm looking for in the upcoming months (Titan Fall).

I've never been into Valve shooters, so really I have zero complains about steam other than they have a bunch of games I rarely feel like playing...

#46 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

No, as that wouldnt even make sense

#47 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

5% of Giant bomb confirmed for crazy people and/or EA marketers.

#48 Posted by ShockD (2401 posts) -

5% of Giant bomb confirmed for crazy people and/or EA marketers.

I know right. I will never look at the GB the same way again...

#49 Edited by 2HeadedNinja (1597 posts) -

EA wanted it's own thing so they made at least a semi competent launcher/store ... but Steam is in a different league. I will not not buy something because it's on Origin only but I prefer Steam.

#50 Posted by probablytuna (3614 posts) -

While I don't hate Origin as much as the majority of people, I don't think it is better or will ever be better than Steam.