#1  Edited By kitsune_conundrum
indigo_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By indigo_man

i prefer to talk to otehrs through text but id rather have teamates use mics. i noe its weird.
Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By kitsune_conundrum

Ignoring platform preferences, do you prefer reading text of people doing teamspeak or general speak or would you rather hear people's voice over the speakers.

kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kitsune_conundrum

I prefer text because I'm reading it in he voice of my own mind rather than some weird random dude/tte garble over the internet.

Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Fbomb

Text. People like the sound of their voice too much, so it really takes me out of the game.

Sweaterfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Sweaterfish

I always prefer voice chat, though lately I haven't wanted to do much talking on LIVE simply because the people on it annoy me. Now of course, the situation is completely different when I'm gaming with friends, but lately it would appear as though "making friends" is now an impossible task unless done through a forum such as this one. Even though verbal communication, not too mention conversation may be declining, having the option to voice a thought, is always welcomed.

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bubahula

definitely voice.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Diamond

Voice for friends, text for strangers.

kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kitsune_conundrum

Of course this is assuming that your playing over the internet. If it was a lan party in the same room like most Dota games...etc talking/screaming to the guy on your left is pretty fun.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Red

Text if I can use a keyboard. Too many people have either crappy mics/voices for me to want to use voice chat.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By iamjohn

Voice.  It makes it way easier to communicate and coordinate with your allies in team-based games.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By Hamst3r
@Diamond said:
" Voice for friends, text for strangers. "
This.

I know my friends. I prefer to talk to them via voice. It's faster.

For strangers, text.
noextralife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By noextralife

It depends on the situation back when I played alot of mmo's I would be using teamspeak all the time, when it comes to the 360 and PS3 I always have my headset plugged in, but in terms of talking to people I tend to give it afew minutes to test the waters, if it seems like the others talking are a mature bunch who want to work as a team then i'll chime in, if its a bunch of screaming cunt buckets then i'll remain in the dark, nothing worse than having a bunch of twats pick up on my Irish accent and spending the rest of the game making potato and leprechaun jokes....

kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what about clarity? Text is laid out for all to see but lets assume you get an indian, scot, irishman and german gaming together in voice chat? I live in a multi-national community.

Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Fbomb
@NoExtraLife said:
" It depends on the situation back when I played alot of mmo's I would be using teamspeak all the time, when it comes to the 360 and PS3 I always have my headset plugged in, but in terms of talking to people I tend to give it afew minutes to test the waters, if it seems like the others talking are a mature bunch who want to work as a team then i'll chime in, if its a bunch of screaming cunt buckets then i'll remain in the dark, nothing worse than having a bunch of twats pick up on my Irish accent and spending the rest of the game making potato and leprechaun jokes.... "
How does a potato joke go?
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Linkyshinks

Voice with people I know.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Branthog

Voice. As much as I don't feel like talking at times and as annoying as voice chat has the potential to be, there is no more efficient way to encourage and conduct communications in a timely fashion for being effective in a game. This is all assuming there are no morons singing into their mics or carrying on phone or in-person conversations with their mic open or have screaming children in the background or get off making annoying sounds all the time, because they are desperate for attention. Of course, you get plenty of crap in text as well, as many years playing Counter-Strike have proven.

noextralife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By noextralife
@kitsune_conundrum said:

" what about clarity? Text is laid out for all to see but lets assume you get an indian, scot, irishman and german gaming together in voice chat? I live in a multi-national community. "

Well I always get comments about my own accent, it might not be as strong as a Southern Irish accent but we tend to talk very fast up in the North so people can have alot of problems keeping up, but I’ve never had a problem understand people from other countries as long as they aren't speaking in their native tongue, and well on the subject of text being laid out for all to see, have you seen alot of the topics posted of late, you'd think some people just rolled their head over the keyboard to type their message.  

@Fbomb: 

How does a potato joke go?

They range from the harmless  

Whats a 7 course meal for an Irishman?
A 6 pack and a potato

To more agressive things like having some 13 year old clown scream "do you fuck potatos, do you live in a potato" into your ear in his high pitched voice at 2 in the morning.
kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@NoExtraLife: lol I'm pretty sure that people on text chat only talk about a narrow range of subjects like team strategies and sometimes IRC style conversations. Not articles and blog fights on forums like what we're getting around here at the moment. 

Also, I find it easier to ignore text as opposed to some guy/kid screaming into his mic.
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By pause422

Voice with anyone I know for sure.

noextralife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By noextralife
@kitsune_conundrum said:
" @NoExtraLife: lol I'm pretty sure that people on text chat only talk about a narrow range of subjects like team strategies and sometimes IRC style conversations. Not articles and blog fights on forums like what we're getting around here at the moment.   Also, I find it easier to ignore text as opposed to some guy/kid screaming into his mic. "
I think those examples really come down to the people your playing with and the community in general, i've had plenty of really good text chat sessions in game with people usually while playing RTS games, but you only need to join your average CoD 4 server (guess thats a thing of the past now though) to be greated to the same childish, homophobic and racial abuse that your subjected to over your headset during any game of halo 3, but yes you are very correct in saying its easier to ignore it when its being typed out, and harder for those same people to attack you when you try and defend the poor guy their abusing (i've had more than enough of that on xbox live).
kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@NoExtraLife: What about the form of communication affecting your current emotional state? When someone types "u fucking ghey" I just go "I'm gonna kill you again" rather then when someone shouts "YOU FUCKING GAY!". I would legitimately feel abit hurt before I just kill him again.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By JJOR64

Voice easily.

noextralife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By noextralife
@kitsune_conundrum said:

" @NoExtraLife: What about the form of communication affecting your current emotional state? When someone types "u fucking ghey" I just go "I'm gonna kill you again" rather then when someone shouts "YOU FUCKING GAY!". I would legitimately feel abit hurt before I just kill him again. "

II respond the best way I think you can respond to that, with a level head, people like that are only doing to it to envoke a similar responce, I usually just reply with a "very nice", "deal with your sexual confusion in your own time", "does your father kiss you on that mouth" (this one really fucks with the homophobes).

But again you can just mute the twat or turn your headset off if you don't want to deal with it.
NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By NinjaHunter

Voice for me. Text just adds another level of separation with human interaction. Plus I can do multiple things while talking to someone.

noextralife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By noextralife
@NinjaHunter said:
" Plus I can do multiple things while talking to someone. "
I used to be able to do that as well, ran my phone bill through the roof mind you.
flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By flaminghobo

I prefer texts to phone calls, but I prefer voice chat to text messages on Xbox Live.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#28  Edited By dethfish

I prefer text because I hate speaking. I'm a quiet person. I don't mind hearing other people talk though.

09spade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By 09spade09

lol, i know this sounds real harsh. But, people who's voice hasnt broken broken sound queer in voice chat. :)

Bingus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Bingus

Same as Diamond. Voice for friends, text for strangers. So many damn kids around who don't know when to shut up.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#32  Edited By natetodamax

I send about 1 text message every 3 months. Not even that.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By Karmum
@09spade09 said:

" lol, i know this sounds real harsh. But, people who's voice hasnt broken brokensound queer in voice chat. :) "

Hm, I knew you looked a little young. Calling somebody a queer because of their age? That's a bit more than harsh.

Anyhow, voice and text for people I know, and text just for the random gamer in the world.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By penguindust

It kind of depends on the game.  I can't see how useful text would be in an online multiplayer fire fight, however in games like MMOs or anything with a slower pace, I preferred text chat.  First of all, you never need to repeat yourself since many games offer a scroll-back function.  Second of all, you can look at your text and really decide what you are trying to say.  Think before you speak is a necessity in most communication.  There is an exception though even in MMOs, and that is raiding.  Learning and getting to patterns down to defeating bosses is sooo much easier when someone is calling out moves and counter attacks during the long process of taking down a boss.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#35  Edited By gingertastic_10

Text. If I ever had the chance to play with friends, then I'd use voice.

09spade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By 09spade09
@Karmum:
lol, i couldnt agree more, only i wasnt talking about age; i was talking about their voice. Anyway, thanks for the comment :)
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#37  Edited By citizenkane

Voice chat

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By DanielJW

Never been a fan of voice chat.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#39  Edited By wefwefasdf

In competitive multiplayer, voice chat really is a must.