Do you read game reviews, or only watch videos, listen to podcasts look at the number of stars... etc?

Avatar image for deactivated-592be1c2327fc
deactivated-592be1c2327fc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Snail

I went with A. because I only read the review when it is of my interest (like when I'm interested in getting the game and/or have been tracking it for a long time/or whatever if it's relevant to my interests), though I always check the stars to see what the staff member that reviewed it thought of it - because, why not?

Oh, and I always read the blurb or whatever it's called as well.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Twisted_Scot

If its something im on the fence about ill make sure and read the whole review. If its something I'm still pretty sure im picking up id rather watch the video review or quick-look to get a feel for how the games seems to play and how it looks. Its good to watch someone play as they can give off the cuff comments that maybe they forgot to put in a review or hadn't happened to them before.
If im not that interested in a game ill look at the stars & brief pro / cons list out of curiosity.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By nintendoeats

I actually hate video in most situations. I prefer to skim text and pick out the parts that seem relevant. Sometimes I wind up reading the whole thing out of order because of this.

But yeah, text is awesome.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

Oddly enough, I only read reviews of games that I know I'll never play. Why? Because if I want to play the game that's reviewed, I feel like I'll just parrot the opinion of whoever the hell I was last reading.

Badhands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Badhands

I like reading reviews but I mostly just watch the videos and listen to bombcast. The only video game review site I use is giantbomb so the best part is watching the videos. When doing tech or movie reviews though I read all the reviews and look at all the charts.

Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Aaron_G

It really depends if it is a game I care about. Other that that I listen to the Bombcast every Tuesday. 

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sameeeeam

B.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rattle618

I almost never feel compelled to read a bunch of text describing in detail every aspect of a game, some footage, a demo and/or a bit of thoughtful commentary about it is enough for me to know if Im interested or not, if I am I just get it.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I'll look at the score first and that will usually influence how I read the review.

For example, I'm more likely to skim through the review of a game that got a 3/10, but I'll probably read the whole thing if got a decent score.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By EpicSteve

I read reviews, but after about 6 years of listening to nearly 5 hours of podcasts a week I found that is the best way to get good opinions and information. 

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By I_smell

I never read text reviews, I just look up a video one on Youtube.

Why would I read a fat block o text? It's 2011 and nobody buys magazines any more.

ofcbilly77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ofcbilly77

I usually only read the review if it's a major release, piques my interest, or it's a bad game and I wanna see it get torn up =]

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#14  Edited By Grumbel

I rarely read full reviews before I actually played the game, as I like to go into the game without to much prior expectations, so I focus mainly on score, the reviewers conclusion and general "buzz" around a game to decide what to buy and what not. After having played the game I tend to read a lot more reviews, to see what other people thought of the game, what interesting parts I might have overlooked, etc.

This is one of the reasons why I would prefer more spoilers in reviews. At the moment they have enough already that I prefer to skip the review, but not enough to actually make an interesting discussion when you already now the game.

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By craigbo180

It depends, I only read if I am surprised by the rating it has got, thought it would get a higher or lower rating that it has. I also read if its a game that I am thinking about getting and I am familiar with the reviewer... so mainly I read giant bomb reviews.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Grissefar

Everything I can read in the review, they have probably already told me in the Quick Look or on the podcast, so I rarely read the review. If I really need a review, I will probably go to Gametrailers for a long video review.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By melcene
@nintendoeats said:
" I actually hate video in most situations. I prefer to skim text and pick out the parts that seem relevant. Sometimes I wind up reading the whole thing out of order because of this.  But yeah, text is awesome. "
This, totally.
Consaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Consaw

I tend to go with B and C. Text reviews can be informative, but that is also up to what the writer wants to say about a particular game. With videos I can kind of see whether I would like something. I dont know how many times I have watched a Quick Look and decided to buy a game or skip a game based on what I have seen.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By c_rakestraw
@Video_Game_King said:
" Oddly enough, I only read reviews of games that I know I'll never play. Why? Because if I want to play the game that's reviewed, I feel like I'll just parrot the opinion of whoever the hell I was last reading. "
Same here. I used to read reviews a lot some years back but I cut back on them significantly for that very reason.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By penguindust

I mostly rely on podcasts.  I rarely watch video reviews.  I sometimes read reviews.  I read more written reviews than I watch video reviews.  So the order would be podcasts then written and trailing behind, video reviews.  Now, I don't count Quick Looks as a review since they're very haphazard and spontaneous. 

Avatar image for shadowknight508
ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ShadowKnight508

I take interest in what others (especially the gaming gurus/gamers from various sites/magazines who score and judge games for a living) have to say about certain games, especially the games that I play. I compare what they say about it to what I thought about it after playing the game, and then see if the score they gave it is appropriate for the game compared to what I would give it.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By OldGuy

I'll go with D. I always read all of the reviews. Score tells me nothing really. I also do C (but without the 'only' part there)..

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#23  Edited By Siphillis

I'm a serious buyer, so text reviews can mean a lot in a split decision.  However, video reviews do supplant any need to read the review, in most cases.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ecb7058c6151
deactivated-5ecb7058c6151

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends of the game...usually i just check metacritics for an overall score. Now if a game i like or want to try got a medium review then i read the reviews on gianbomb and eurogamer.And then if i am not satisfied i check the trailer or a gameplay to see with my eyes if its worth it or not.

durog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By durog

I almost never read a long article or review unless I'm really interested about learning more about the game.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Gaff

Depending on the site / reviewer, option D. Everything.

Written reviews are, for me, the best place to find a well-structured, organised critique of game and a way to build a profile of a reviewer: where are their priorities, what are their tastes in games, etc.
Podcasts act like a Q&A; session. Any questions left lingering after a review most likely will be answered by their peers.
Videos help in showing how the game plays, aestethics, and sound design.

And reading everything sometimes points me to something I hadn't discovered yet. And keeps me in touch with what the cool kids are playing.

That or bedtime reading / toilet breaks / something to do on public transport.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By yoshimitz707

Where's the option where I read everything on the site and watch all the videos?

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By Sayishere

Mostly watch videos or podcasts 

i will read an article or a review, but i would only do it if theres no video :D

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Example1013

I really enjoy reading reviews of bad games. For instance, any game that GameInformer gives below a 5 is usually an awesome review. 

it's the same with movies. When I see the Screened guys posting a 1-star review, that basically shows up as a flag in my head saying READ THIS NOW!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3
deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I always read the reviews. I think as far as critique is concerned, Whiskey had the best writers out there. I honestly wish the GB guys would write more front page stuff, but I realize they're busy and there's only so much to say about press releases.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By Dany

I rarely buy games....like maybe 3 or four a year, maybe more for this year but I only read a review for games I am interested in purchasing

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Vextroid

C & B

I listen to the casts and watch the videos, but I only read reviews of games that I have some interest or have some level of infamy behind them with GB (ie if they were to do a WeDare review),if it recieved 1 or 2 stars or if a game i really liked gets a 3 or 2 or something. (Not to whinge but just to see what the reviewer didnt like ie. Jeff gave DR2 a 3, I think it more or a 4-4.5 but I still repsected his opinion.)

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33  Edited By Marz

eh your choices are very limited.     I basically read, watch, listen to alot of reviews,podcasts, and videos  before i make a decision on whether i would take a chance on a game.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#34  Edited By Little_Socrates
@Video_Game_King said:
" Oddly enough, I only read reviews of games that I know I'll never play. Why? Because if I want to play the game that's reviewed, I feel like I'll just parrot the opinion of whoever the hell I was last reading. "
My sentiments exactly. Running a weekly games editorial or a podcast is an encouragement to avoid most reviews. If I don't intend to play a game, I'll read the full-text review, watch quick looks, etc., hoping they'll entice me. Oddly, I'm more inclined to read positive reviews than negative ones, as negative reviews will often overlook a few pieces that are well executed (take, for example, Navarro's 1-star review of Sucker Punch that completely ignores the extremely high quality of the music in the film) in favor of providing a more entertaining and memorable witch burning. 
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#35  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Little_Socrates: 

Oddly, I don't believe that a game has to be bad to make for an entertaining review/blog/whatever. If that was true, then my Superman blog would be in my top 10 favorite blogs. (It's not.) I wish more people would understand that genuinely weird or fucked up games are better material than shit ones.
Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#36  Edited By Little_Socrates
@Video_Game_King: Oh, absolutely true; clearly, the entertainment value in every Deadly Premonition review on the internet other than the one on IGN is proof of that, not to mention reviews of the original Katamari Damacy.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By iam3green

i sometimes read them. it's between watching and reading them.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only if I'm really interested in a game will I actually read the review. Otherwise I just look at the score.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By toowalrus

I do a little of everything actually, I'm not too picky.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#40  Edited By citizenkane

I read reviews, watch videos, and listen to the podcasts of games I really care about(i.e. ones that I am going to buy)

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By amir90

How about a little bit of everything?
I rarely buy anything because of A review/podcast, etc.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#42  Edited By GS_Dan

If I read the text of a review it means I'm already interested enough in a game to buy it.

blueaniman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By blueaniman93

I only read the review for games I'm interested in or want to know more about.

Trebz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Trebz

I always watch the video review for something I'm interested in, if there is one, and I otherwise read the text. There's no point to me in watching the video review + reading the text, because video reviews are almost always extremely similar to the text (considering that they're written by the same person, that isn't surprising).

choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By choffy21

I go through three steps:

1. Read a few short previews of a game
  2. Watch the Quick Look to see if I'm still interested
  3. If so, read a few reviews, and only the last paragraph and the score.
Has yet to fail me.