• 53 results
Posted by mlarrabee (2760 posts) 8 months, 19 days ago

Do you recognize users by username or by avatar? (156 votes)

Username. 12%
Either. 33%
I have no idea who any of you people are. 11%

I tend to remember avatars more than I do usernames. Of course, some usernames are easy to remember so even when they change their "faces" (@darthorange and @animasta, I'm looking at you) I still "know" who they are. But as for the rest of the world, if your image changes you become a new user entirely to me.

How about you? Does it throw you when an oft-seen name is no longer attached to a discarded avatar? Or do you recognize strings of characters better? Or are you a terrifying mnemonist.

#1 Edited by BeachThunder (11265 posts) -

For the most part, if you change your avatar, you may as well be a new member...

Edit: It was very confusing when everyone became Ryan...

#2 Posted by mlarrabee (2760 posts) -

For the most part, if you change your avatar, you may as well be a new member...

You're the perfect example. I've never seen this "BeachThunder" cat, but I'd know Purple Square anywhere.

#3 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2157 posts) -

Most of the time it's by avatar (this month has been super confusing with everyone having multiple Ryan based avatars)

#4 Edited by bigjeffrey (4166 posts) -

No, every time i come here its a new experience

#5 Posted by TyCobb (1924 posts) -

Avatar. I think of it just like faces. I remember faces, but rarely names.

#6 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1785 posts) -

I tend to recognize users by their avatar, but if they change it, I still recognize their name.

#7 Posted by JJWeatherman (14485 posts) -

D.

#8 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4030 posts) -

Both? I like my avatar, and I like to change my shirt every once in a while so I color it.

#9 Posted by Ezakael (871 posts) -

Both for me. I notice the avatar first but if someone changes it I can still recognize them.

#10 Edited by McGhee (6091 posts) -

I remember the names of the ones I care about.

#11 Posted by Superkenon (1191 posts) -

If I know their avatar, I know their name. That said, the avatar tends to be what I look at first, since that's the obvious at-a-glance thing. "Oh, it's so-and-so's avatar, so this is his post."

Generally speaking.

#12 Posted by Landon (4115 posts) -

It's mostly the avatar, but I still recognize a lot of usernames.

#13 Edited by Turkalurch (197 posts) -

Username for me, but I can see why people would recognize avatars more.

#14 Posted by DarthOrange (3498 posts) -

I am honored that you remember me despite my constant avatar changes.

Also I am more of a username dude myself.

#15 Edited by GnomeonFire (644 posts) -

Don't know a single persons username.

#16 Posted by dudeglove (7257 posts) -

If you want to fuck with an OP in a serious topic, change your avatar to his. Works every goddamn time.

Avatars are also pretty useful in screening out comments not worth reading. Album art? Probably okay. Old TV show character? Probably opinionated. 8-bit type thingy? Regular forum goer who probably isn't too much of a jerk. Weird staff picture? That's your journey. But anime avatars? Just walk away.

#17 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4672 posts) -

Both for me. The only thing that could throw me off is when people change their username.

#18 Posted by supamon (1327 posts) -

Avatar at first but I've grown to recognize some people by their username. Everyone using Ryan pictures really confused me for awhile.

#19 Posted by McGhee (6091 posts) -

If you want to fuck with an OP in a serious topic, change your avatar to his. Works every goddamn time.

Avatars are also pretty useful in screening out comments not worth reading. Album art? Probably okay. Old TV show character? Probably opinionated. 8-bit type thingy? Regular forum goer who probably isn't too much of a jerk. Weird staff picture? That's your journey. But anime avatars? Just walk away.

Cute girl avatars?

#20 Posted by Soap (3530 posts) -

What about a bar of soap sitting on a union jack? ;)

#21 Edited by CaLe (3678 posts) -

Sometimes I'll see people with 5000+ posts and feel like it's the first time I've ever seen them. I guess that could be because they changed their avatar or something? I used to change mine quite often but I've now made one which I feel sums me up as a human being.

#22 Posted by Fobwashed (1626 posts) -

@soap said:

@dudeglove said:

Or just straight up my fucking FACE YA'LL!!! WASSAAAAP!?!?!

#23 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4655 posts) -

Avatar is what catches my eye first but there are many users I notice anyway.

#24 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5117 posts) -

By the avatar and only the ones I see a lot.

#25 Posted by TruthTellah (7671 posts) -

I often identify users by their avatar, but on Giant Bomb, probably more than most places for me, the names are equally, if not more, important.

Some people change their avatars often; so, you have to identify solely by the name(or type of avatar pictures. ex. pretty asian women might indicate one commenter). It has been a little confusing during this last month of Ryan pictures on everyone, which is why I prefer having normal avatars but slightly altered. So, like little Ryan faces on mine or when people put on santa hats around Christmas time. As long as the main iconic imagery is still there, it's usually fine.

I am considering changing back to my unedited version, as I feel like it's nearing time. It's just such an odd thing to do, you know? It's like marking a particular point in the coping process.

#26 Posted by MEATBALL (2787 posts) -

#27 Posted by Gamer_152 (13975 posts) -

I remember users by both, although avatars are easier to remember than names.

#28 Edited by falserelic (4949 posts) -

Both, If I chatted with a person long enough I'll get familiar with their name. Though lots of people probably forgets about me, sense I changed my avatar quite alot on this site.

#29 Posted by TwoLines (2762 posts) -

Avatars are easier to remember. I never remeber people's names also, so there you go.

#30 Posted by thatdutchguy (1218 posts) -

By avatar..

#31 Edited by phrosnite (3517 posts) -

Mostly avatar but sometimes by names too.

#32 Posted by Winsord (1066 posts) -

Avatars are good for recognizing someone by peripheral vision, but I pick up on names pretty quick too. People changing avatars doesn't bother me.

#33 Edited by dudeglove (7257 posts) -

@soap said:

@dudeglove said:

Error: does not compute.

Or just straight up my fucking FACE YA'LL!!! WASSAAAAP!?!?!

Yeah but you're the dude doing the video game thing, so you're exempt from these sweeping generalizations. As long as you don't whip your balls out and use that as an avatar I think you're fine.

#34 Posted by Canteu (2814 posts) -

Mostly the avatar for me, but generally I know the higher post counts by name and avatar.

It was kinda weird when everyone was Ryan though.

#36 Posted by joshwent (1778 posts) -

Changed my Avatar recently and I don't recognize myself.

#37 Posted by Andorski (5111 posts) -

By smell.

#38 Edited by BBAlpert (1262 posts) -

@joshwent said:

Changed my Avatar recently and I don't recognize myself.

For the longest time it was easy for me to pick out my own posts because it was the one with the green background. Well, there was another person whose avatar had a green background, but it seemed to be use 2, mostly.

Edit: When I had this as my avatar.

#39 Edited by mosespippy (3752 posts) -

Giant Bomb is the only forum I've used where I recognize people by name rather than avatar.

#40 Posted by Claude (16251 posts) -

I've been around long enough to recognize names. After that, it's what you write and stuff. People always give themselves away in how the conduct themselves on the forums.

#41 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (4445 posts) -

Both. I recognize some peoples names, but mostly avatars.

#42 Edited by Quarters (1548 posts) -

Avatar for the most part. I'm terrible with names.

#43 Posted by altairre (997 posts) -

It's both for me but I'm actually better at recognizing names than avatars so it wasn't that confusing when everybody changed their avatar (for example due to Dave's birthday or Ryan's passing). This is the only community I'm in some way invested in so that might be part of it.

#44 Posted by Hunter5024 (5175 posts) -

Recognizing an avatar is easier, but I'm on here enough that I recognize names too. I try to keep my avatar the same so that people don't have trouble recognizing me.

#45 Posted by pyromagnestir (3965 posts) -

None of the above.

I recognize users by their sex appeal.

#46 Posted by Azurath (273 posts) -

I certainly recognize more avatars than I do names, but there are some names I see on here so much that they have become an exception.

Gaf seems to have a pretty ritualized practice where you don't really change your avatar much, aside from photoshoping silly things onto it.

#47 Edited by chocolaterhinovampire (1287 posts) -

username save for Video_Game_King

#48 Posted by Nux (2211 posts) -

Mostly by avatar but there are a few people I remember by name.

#49 Posted by Demoskinos (13878 posts) -

Both but mostly I remember usernames that I care about or see often like Animasta,Turboman,Gunslingerpanda,Truthtellah,MrFluke....ect if you're here as much as I am you tend to recognize the people you like and agree with and the people you sort of clash with. Although I really don't dislike anyone here anyways.

Some people on here I even talk to outside of the forums on twitter and stuff like AjayRaz and Aurahack.

#50 Edited by mandude (2667 posts) -

Mostly avatars, but I remember using usernames a lot more on the old site.