Do you recognize users by username or by avatar?

• 53 results
audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you recognize users by username or by avatar? (156 votes)

Username. 12%
Either. 33%
I have no idea who any of you people are. 11%

I tend to remember avatars more than I do usernames. Of course, some usernames are easy to remember so even when they change their "faces" (@darthorange and @animasta, I'm looking at you) I still "know" who they are. But as for the rest of the world, if your image changes you become a new user entirely to me.

How about you? Does it throw you when an oft-seen name is no longer attached to a discarded avatar? Or do you recognize strings of characters better? Or are you a terrifying mnemonist.

• 
CollegeGuyMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Usually the avatar, but for people who post a ton I'll recognize their usernames as well.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@dudeglove said:

If you want to fuck with an OP in a serious topic, change your avatar to his. Works every goddamn time.

Avatars are also pretty useful in screening out comments not worth reading. Album art? Probably okay. Old TV show character? Probably opinionated. 8-bit type thingy? Regular forum goer who probably isn't too much of a jerk. Weird staff picture? That's your journey. But anime avatars? Just walk away.

Guy in his Halloween costume?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By xyzygy

Avatars, and then some people have that dumb stock image still after like hundreds of posts so then it's username.