Do you refer to developers/publishers as singular or plural?

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By BiggerBomb
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By BiggerBomb

Simply out of curiosity, I'm wondering how you refer to game developers and publishers.

For example: "If Nintendo doesn't announce a new Legend of Zelda for the Wii at E3, its fans are not going to be happy."

Or: "If Bioware don't succeed with Star Wars: The Old Republic, their fanbase will be pretty pissed off."

Savvy? I myself switch on and off between the two depending on the situation. How's about you?

HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By HazBazz

I think mostly singular. I've never really put any concious thought into it before

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By oldschool

Singular.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#5  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

Singular. However, I do believe that plural is grammatically correct in England.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BiggerBomb
Sleepy_Insomniac said:
"Singular. However, I do believe that plural is grammatically correct in England."

I want to make babies with your avatar and I will never rest in my relentless pursuit to let you know this! :D
Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#7  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
BiggerBomb said:
"Sleepy_Insomniac said:
"Singular. However, I do believe that plural is grammatically correct in England."
I want to make babies with your avatar and I will never rest in my relentless pursuit to let you know this! :D"
Well, I'm fully aware. I just never get tired of hearing it. :)
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BiggerBomb
Sleepy_Insomniac said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Sleepy_Insomniac said:
I want to make babies with your avatar and I will never rest in my relentless pursuit to let you know this! :D"
Well, I'm fully aware. I just never get tired of hearing it. :)"

Heh-heh. Get it? Tired? Sleepy_Insomniac? Eh...heh! =P
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By penguindust

According to http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/GRAMMAR/plurals.htm

>>The names of companies and other organizations are usually regarded as singular, regardless of their ending: "General Motors has announced its fall lineup of new vehicles." Try to avoid the inconsistency that is almost inevitable when you think of corporate entities as a group of individuals: "General Motors has announced their fall lineup of new vehicles." But note that some inconsistency is acceptable in all but the most formal writing: "Ford has announced its breakup with Firestone Tires. Their cars will no longer use tires built by Firestone." Some writers will use a plural verb when a plural construction such as "Associates" is part of the company's title or when the title consists of a series of names: "Upton, Vernon, and Gridley are moving to new law offices next week" or "Shadrach, Meshach, Abednego & Associates have won all their cases this year." Singular verbs and pronouns would be correct in those sentences, also.<<

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Absurd

On & Off

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

PenguinDust said:
"According to http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/GRAMMAR/plurals.htm

>>The names of companies and other organizations are usually regarded as singular, regardless of their ending: "General Motors has announced its fall lineup of new vehicles." Try to avoid the inconsistency that is almost inevitable when you think of corporate entities as a group of individuals: "General Motors has announced their fall lineup of new vehicles." But note that some inconsistency is acceptable in all but the most formal writing: "Ford has announced its breakup with Firestone Tires. Their cars will no longer use tires built by Firestone." Some writers will use a plural verb when a plural construction such as "Associates" is part of the company's title or when the title consists of a series of names: "Upton, Vernon, and Gridley are moving to new law offices next week" or "Shadrach, Meshach, Abednego & Associates have won all their cases this year." Singular verbs and pronouns would be correct in those sentences, also.<<"

I'm aware, but I still prefer the plural as I generally think of them as a group of people rather than a faceless entity.
maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By maxszy
Bellum said:
"PenguinDust said:
"According to http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/GRAMMAR/plurals.htm

>>The names of companies and other organizations are usually regarded as singular, regardless of their ending: "General Motors has announced its fall lineup of new vehicles." Try to avoid the inconsistency that is almost inevitable when you think of corporate entities as a group of individuals: "General Motors has announced their fall lineup of new vehicles." But note that some inconsistency is acceptable in all but the most formal writing: "Ford has announced its breakup with Firestone Tires. Their cars will no longer use tires built by Firestone." Some writers will use a plural verb when a plural construction such as "Associates" is part of the company's title or when the title consists of a series of names: "Upton, Vernon, and Gridley are moving to new law offices next week" or "Shadrach, Meshach, Abednego & Associates have won all their cases this year." Singular verbs and pronouns would be correct in those sentences, also.<<"
I'm aware, but I still prefer the plural as I generally think of them as a group of people rather than a faceless entity. "
I agree with this and do the same.