#1 Edited by Reagent (12 posts) -

So this has been bugging the crap out of me for ages.

In the late '90s, my 4th grade Social Studies teacher made us play a truck driving simulator designed to help us learn about American geography. But it was less about geography and more about eating a balanced meal, getting rest, and not picking up hitchhikers who would hurt you and steal some of your haul.

It is a bit like Trucking USA for the C64, but this was running on a Windows 95 or 98 machine. I honestly don't remember what year I was in 4th grade, just that the millenium hadn't happened yet.

So, what do you guys think?

#2 Edited by Jams (2961 posts) -

@reagent said:

So this has been bugging the crap out of me for ages.

In the late '90s, my 4th grade Social Studies teacher made us play a truck driving simulator designed to help us learn about American geography. But it was less about geography and more about eating a balanced meal, getting rest, and not picking up hitchhikers who would hurt you and steal some of your haul.

It is a bit like Trucking USA for the C64, but this was running on a Windows 95 or 98 machine. I honestly don't remember what year I was in 4th grade, just that the millenium hadn't happened yet.

So, what do you guys think?

Damn that sounds like a fun ass game. I hope someone knows!

#3 Posted by Reagent (12 posts) -

@jams: Oh yeah, it was also totally in first person. You could crash if you didn't sleep, and you had to navigate cities to pick up and deliver product. So, it did have some educational value, but we mostly just picked up hitchhikers.

#4 Posted by Jams (2961 posts) -
#5 Posted by Reagent (12 posts) -

Omigosh, I know what it is now!

It was called Cross Country. I played Cross Country USA, but there was also a Canada version. It was released in 1995, so it makes sense that my elementary school would have had easy access to it in the late '90s.

Oh crap. there's a sequel.

Well, I guess I know what I'll be updating in the wiki now.

#6 Posted by Maginnovision (487 posts) -

I was hoping it was monster truck madness 2, oh well.

#7 Edited by Garris (187 posts) -

Yes I played this game as well, the canadian version, I think it was on an apple 2 or something like that

Grade 4 or 5 so that would be.....92-93

also Turtle, and oregon trail

#8 Posted by VierasTalo (808 posts) -

Reading the title I was so ready to come here and say Big Rigs but the first post kind of makes that a null effort.

Regardless, the answer is always Big Rigs.

#9 Posted by isomeri (1290 posts) -

Reading the title I was so ready to come here and say Big Rigs but the first post kind of makes that a null effort.

Regardless, the answer is always Big Rigs.

Yup, gotta be Big Rigs.

#10 Posted by Reagent (12 posts) -

Spent the better part of the morning doing this http://www.giantbomb.com/cross-country-usa/3030-41753/

Now if anyone wants to try and play Cross Country USA, you have the massively important table with which to do it.

#11 Edited by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

The lack of Cross Country USA on the wiki is an issue I've known about for a long time but kept forgetting to fix. Thank you.