• 99 results
#1 Edited by DaddyCabinet (225 posts) -

That game for me was the title screen for blades of steel. That shit blew my fucking mind. Mind you my only exposure to games up until that point was crappy nes games, a random assortment of atari games and some pirated coleco games on cassette tape.

#2 Posted by ripelivejam (4889 posts) -

think it may have been super metroid, but im probably wrong.

the game blew all sorts of mind in every way of course.

#3 Posted by Zeik (2772 posts) -

Musashi on the PS1 is the first game that comes to mind that I remember specifically noticing there was voice acting, but technically Sonic would probably have been the first, since it was the first game I owned on my Sega Genesis. Hearing "SEGA" wasn't exactly mind blowing though.

#4 Posted by Korwin (3034 posts) -

Yeah, I think it was some early PC Golf game. What was awesome was that it came through the PC speaker, no Sound Blaster back in those days.

#5 Posted by wjb (1697 posts) -

Don't know for sure, maybe...

"Dubble Dwibble."

#6 Posted by ToTheNines (839 posts) -

possibly Warcraft 2... hard to say.

#7 Posted by DaddyCabinet (225 posts) -

@korwin: Playing space quest and police quest using the pc speaker was the shit.

#8 Posted by Elwoodan (868 posts) -

Starfox 64, though that was also basically the first game I owned, so I guess it wasn't as mind-blowing as if I had played a bunch of text-only games before it.

#9 Edited by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

If Ganon's laughter on Zelda II's Game Over screen counts, then it was that.

Also, fuck that laugh. It scared the shit out of me as a kid.

#10 Posted by BeachThunder (12434 posts) -
@korwin said:

Yeah, I think it was some early PC Golf game. What was awesome was that it came through the PC speaker, no Sound Blaster back in those days.

Yep, this might be the same for me too.

#11 Posted by spankingaddict (2740 posts) -

Command & Conquer , I think .

#12 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3087 posts) -

Super Mario 64. I've never known an age of non-voice acted games.

#13 Posted by NoelVeiga (1129 posts) -

May have been this.

http://youtu.be/ccrLkOF58Vo?t=5m22s

#14 Edited by GrantHeaslip (1607 posts) -

@hailinel said:

That, which I heard a lot, or this:

I'm glad I found a video of Wheel of Fortune, because I just now realized that Rare (yes, that Rare) developed it. Weird.

#15 Posted by alanm26v5 (463 posts) -

I want to say maybe Wolfenstein 3d if that counts?

#16 Edited by Vuud (2035 posts) -

The original Castle Wolfenstein; actually what I played was Castle Smurfenstein, sort of a hacked version of Wolfenstein. That's my first game that talked back.

#17 Edited by Hamst3r (4568 posts) -

@wjb said:

Don't know for sure, maybe...

"Dubble Dwibble."

I too think it might have been this game.

edit: oh, but I can't forget Skate or Die 2:

Die die die die die.

#18 Edited by Teoball (642 posts) -

Pretty sure it was this. Jeff has also referenced this a lot.

#19 Posted by Rick_Fingers (523 posts) -

I want to say Wing Commander

#20 Posted by Phished0ne (2541 posts) -

@korwin said:

Yep, this might be the same for me too.

Yeah that was mine too. "It looks like it hit the tree, Jim" has been burned into my memory, a stupidly obvious comment i will never forget.

#21 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (3906 posts) -

@hailinel said:

Long before that, there were the bosses in Kung Fu.

You Tube really does sometimes seem to have a video of anything that you can remember. But for actual speech, my first was probably Bad Dudes.

#22 Edited by Rowr (5824 posts) -

@teoball said:

Pretty sure it was this. Jeff has also referenced this a lot.

Yep totally this.

HE SLIMED ME!

I feel like there were a few others at the time but none i can think of off the top of my head.

#23 Edited by BaconGames (3577 posts) -

I'm not old enough to have the comparison of video games not talking be meaningful growing up so when they did it felt normal and not terribly noteworthy. So no to answer the question.

#24 Edited by Yummylee (22575 posts) -

Resident... Evil.

It would have been poetic if that was the case, though it was damn close. But nah, this was the first bit of intelligible voiced audio I ever heard in a video game. Specifically since this was the second game I ever played; Pacman came first, with Resident Evil as my third.

#25 Posted by PenguinDust (12640 posts) -

Berzerk, the arcade version, back in 1980 or '81. I still love hearing "stop the humanoid". It's been many years, but I think the first time I played it was at a Chuck-e-Cheese birthday party. I horded my handful of tokens until I found something amazing. Berzerk was a little slower than most games, so I could play for longer and it talked!

#26 Posted by tonyp2121 (169 posts) -

I believe Spyro the Dragon for PS1 is the earliest I remember.

#27 Edited by Zlimness (574 posts) -

No, but I remember the first time seeing an actual person in a game:

MegaRace (1993)

Edit: Now, the "actual person" claim is debatable in this case. Hey, 1993 was another time. Standards were different when it came to FMV actors.

#28 Posted by ShaggE (6718 posts) -

I think it was Wolf3D. Or Dr. Sbaitso, but that doesn't really count.

#29 Edited by falserelic (5407 posts) -

I can't remember man..

#30 Edited by Tajasaurus (992 posts) -

@zlimness: Holy shit! I forgot all about that game! IT blew my mind when I was, like, seven. Though it would always crash on my computer. :(

Mine was some US Gold (I think?) golf game on the mega drive.

It had a commentator dude that would always say "Looks like he... hit the tree, Jim" every time you hit it off of the course and that will be stuck in my head for the rest of my days.

Edit: I didn't really look through this thread until after posting, and I am glad I wasn't alone. Haha. I guess they just used the same voice samples over different games?

#31 Posted by Random45 (1287 posts) -

@ninessc2 said:

possibly Warcraft 2... hard to say.

Did Warcraft 1 have voice acting? I think it did, if so, then I think that's the first game I played that had voice acting.

#32 Posted by phampire (289 posts) -

From the thread title I thought you meant hearing people talk about video games. It's hard to remember but a safe guess would be the talking portrait heads in fallout 2.

#33 Posted by Brendan (8164 posts) -

NBA Jam I think. Video games talking was weird enough of a concept to me that I wasn't sure at first whether the announcer was saying actual words or if it was being faked.

#34 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Sadly no.

#35 Posted by BeachThunder (12434 posts) -

@tajasaurus: Actually, that's the version I played :o I literally just nostalgied in my pants. Sorry if that's too much info :|

I didn't even think to look up "Looks like he hit the tree, Jim"; I just did some searching around of DOS golf games. It really does seem that there was a lot of audio recycling going on.

#36 Posted by peterh (54 posts) -

I remember a bunch of NES/SNES 5-second voice clips (NBA Jam, Mortal Kombat, etc), but for some reason, I remember 14-year-old-me being totally blown away by the opening scene in Turok 2 for the N64. Maybe it's because I jumped straight from SNES to N64; never had a disk based system until near the end of the ps1 lifecycle.

#37 Edited by Franstone (1156 posts) -

First game to come to mind is Joe Montana Football on the Genesis.

I remember being amazed.

#38 Posted by ch3burashka (5258 posts) -

The first time I heard a video game talk, my first thought was, "Should video games talk?"

#39 Posted by Svenzon (731 posts) -

Yeah, I think it was Blades of Steel ("BLADEF OF FTEEL!", "WHAT A PAFF!") for the NES. If laughter counts, it was Kung-Fu. The bosses laughing at you always freaked me out as a kid.

#40 Edited by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

StarFox 64, I think. That was some pretty cool stuff to me at the time, and many of the lines are embedded in my brain.

#41 Posted by Jams (2966 posts) -
#42 Edited by ProfessorEss (7523 posts) -

I think it might have been Bomb Squad for the Intellivision ("Featuring Intellivoice!").

#43 Posted by TooSweet (399 posts) -

The Dragon's Lair arcade game. Went into the sectioned off arcade section in my bodega. I thought it was the most amazing thing ever. For consoles it was Spyke on the Vectrex.

#44 Edited by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

@jams said:

SCARY A FUCK SON

Sinistar

YEP it was this one.

"I hunger..."

#45 Posted by DaddyCabinet (225 posts) -

Youtube does have video of everything.

#46 Posted by JasonR86 (9729 posts) -

Probably a game on the master system but I don't know for sure.

#47 Posted by jaycrockett (492 posts) -

It was probably one of those early arcade games, but this is what came to mind when I read the question.

#48 Edited by billmcneal (310 posts) -

it might have been Street Fighter II arcade for me

#49 Posted by Nezza (377 posts) -

@jaycrockett: Oh thank God there is someone else that was alive during the C64/Speccy/Atari ST/Amiga glory days as this is exactly what I was thinking of when I read the question.

The other one that always sticks in my mind is the ending of The Chaos Engine which I always remembered as being amazing. Watching it now, if really isn't!

#50 Posted by pyromagnestir (4339 posts) -

No. Because I'm not crazy. Video games can't talk. They are inanimate objects. I don't care what they say. I won't do what they ask. I won't. I don't want to hurt anybody so I'll just ignore them. They aren't really talking anyway. Because they can't. They can't. They can't.

They can't.

My earliest video game memories involve games like Madden and NHL games and Mortal Kombat for Genesis, so video games with voice acting never really was a big deal. I just kinda grew up with it.