• 57 results
#1 Posted by ViciousReiven (821 posts) -

Due to the talk of backwards compatibility moving forward on the Bombcast, I was wondering, how many of you guys actually 'move on' to a new generation entirely? 
Personally I still have a PS2 hooked up, specifically still hooked up to a salvaged SDTV due to the deinterlacing and upscale filters on my HDTV being utter shit making games look way worse than they should. 
I still play it, in fact I just started a new save on Chaos Legion yesterday since I have plenty of time during the holiday lull to enjoy old games.  

I understand not everyone does this, but as I do it bums me out whenever the bombcrew dismisses the idea of a new console having backwards compatibility, because it means I'll just end up having more things hooked up at once, and honestly I'm running out of space. :\

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Yes. The day I get a WiiU, I'm putting a bullet through my Wii.

#3 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5802 posts) -

I have a PS2 and a PS3 plugged into the same TV; occasionally bring out the X-Box or Gamecube if I'm so inclined; I play the PS2 maybe one game every few months. Ultimately the PS2 still has a few dozen superb games that I haven't played but the PS3 or any other current generation console only has a handful.

#4 Posted by MentalDisruption (1651 posts) -

I have a ps2 and a ps3 still going on the same tv at the moment, and I still have a Nintendo 64 and SNES sitting ready to be plugged in at a moments notice. Only console I've ever retired was the gamecube after I got a wii. Didn't really need it anymore since the wii can play all the gamecube games I own.

#5 Posted by Ben_H (3386 posts) -

I didn't used to. I am running out of space so I do now, but I keep everything easily accessible so I can get it if I feel like it. I went from having an Xbox 360, Wii, PS2, N64, SNES, and Genesis hooked up to just the Xbox and SNES.

#6 Posted by bobafettjm (1526 posts) -

I still have a ton of my old consoles hooked up, from the Atari 2600 onward to the current gen.

#7 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2910 posts) -

My NES and SNES broke so I play those games on emulators now. I retired my N64 because I very rarely play it (and again it's emulatable) and my Gamecube is on a shelf because the Wii plays GC games. But if I recall correctly the Wii U doesn't go back to GC so I will need at least one of them still when I get a Wii U. Also I still have my PS2 hooked up because my PS3 is not one of the backwards compatible ones, unfortunately.

#8 Posted by C0V3RT (1377 posts) -

The Wii was retired long before I picked up the Wii U, however do retire current gen when I end up getting the new gen. The saving grace may be the PS3 which primarily is a blu ray player for me unless the new Xbox has Blu Ray support.

#9 Edited by Chaser324 (6662 posts) -

Yeah, once the flow of new games dries up, I'll typically box up a console and all of its games and put it in in the back of my closet where it won't be seen again until I have to move.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I find it hard to feel like an adult if I have my living room covered with consoles and racks full of games. To some degree that feeling is probably just OCD, but I just think it can give people a bad impression when they see it and leave me branded with the "hardcore gamer" stigma (which I deserve but nonetheless try to deny because I want to be one of the "cool kids"). So, I only keep the latest consoles and whatever games I'm currently playing in my living room, everything else is stowed away.

#10 Edited by RioStarwind (570 posts) -

I have a highly unusual set up of having just about everything still hooked up to power. My NES, SNES, N64, Dreamcast, 360, PS3 and even my PC is hooked up to the same HDTV in my gaming room. The n64 and dreamcast don't always have the A/V cables hooked up though. I expect I'll retire the 360 to replace it with a PS4 since I really don't have any room left to put anything heh.

#11 Posted by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -

I retire my consoles, but sporadically plug them in to play the classics. Kind of like how washed up wrestlers retire from WWE but still wrestle indie shows for the next 20 years.

#12 Posted by Syphous (170 posts) -

Oh yeah, I retire the hell out of them. Right behind me are two boxes with a ton of old consoles in it, from my Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, PS1, GameCube, PS2, and Xbox 1. Oh and an Atari Jaguar and Commodore 64. Plus all their respective cords. And another box with random selections of games for each console that I felt compelled to keep. But really they're just taking up space and collecting dust, I don't see myself ever taking them out.

The only console I have connected to my television is the Xbox 360, though I'd have a PS3 connected if I ever owned one. Damn my new-found poverty!

#13 Posted by ViciousReiven (821 posts) -
@SuperfluousMoniker said:

My NES and SNES broke so I play those games on emulators now. I retired my N64 because I very rarely play it (and again it's emulatable) and my Gamecube is on a shelf because the Wii plays GC games. But if I recall correctly the Wii U doesn't go back to GC so I will need at least one of them still when I get a Wii U. Also I still have my PS2 hooked up because my PS3 is not one of the backwards compatible ones, unfortunately.

This is basically how I do it, while my NES(s), SNES, Genesis, and n64 arn't boxed up they're pretty much just for show, any of those games I want to play I have an emulator for, the PS3 is used for PS1 stuff (the upscaler is damn fine!) while the PS2 is alone in it's purpose, the Wii might be the first console I officially retire if only to make room for a next gen system, I don't see myself going back to play any GC/Wii games in the near future.
#14 Posted by Skyfire543 (720 posts) -

None of them are boxed up. N64, Dreamcast, PS2, GC, Wii, and PS3 are all still in use. The PS2 the most out of all of them, probably. Burnout 3, Persona 4, and Destroy All Humans!

#15 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

People that don't retire past consoles don't buy enough new games. The last time I played my ps2 was when persona 4 came out. I'd love to go back and replay some ps2 games, but I have enough current gen games I want to play, but don't.

#16 Posted by believer258 (12019 posts) -

I currently have my PS2, original Xbox, and Wii plugged up to my TV. What's my Wii for? Gamecube games. The original Xbox is for SNES games.

So... not really.

#17 Posted by cannonballBAM (608 posts) -

All boxed up: NES, Sega Genesis, Wii, Playstation 2

• After Anarchy Reigns & Metal Gear Rising, my X-box 360 is going into storage.
  • Same goes for the PS3 after Beyond: Two Souls, Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes, Castlevania LOS2, Puppeteer and The Last of Us.
  • Heck, my 3DS is practically put away except for when both Ace Attorney games, Luigi's Mansion 2 and Castlevania: LOS-MOF

I have a Wii U and plan on using my PC as my main platform until I see something worth spending X amount of dollars on.

#18 Posted by crusader8463 (14425 posts) -

Unless the upgraded system can't play the previous gens games, I don't see why you would leave it plugged in. My TV only has so many plugs and I only have so much shelf space anyway. Threads like these always remind me that I really need to get working on my backlog of games. PS4 is coming out next year and I still got a bunch of PS2 games in my backlog to play.

#19 Posted by jeffrud (388 posts) -

I have a NES and a Wii hooked up at present, hopefully I'll have a SNES again in the future. I like having the older stuff, but the Wii Virtual Console is pretty rad and might keep me from ever really boxing it up. It might move into a bedroom with a smaller television, but goddamn I love that thing. As for storage, I like those black, collapsable paperboard boxes from Ikea and would use those to store games and consoles that could fit.

#20 Posted by Counterclockwork87 (708 posts) -

I currently have my PS2, Gamecube, NES, Super Nintendo, N64, Dreamcast and Genesis all hooked up to the same CRT TV. I don't own any current gen systems, just a PC.

I'm a bit odd though because these are all systems I've acquired along the way..the Super nintendo, 64 and gamecube are the only systems I originally owned as a kid. I owned an NES at one time as well but I gave that away long ago.

#21 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

yes, i retire them. i still have them just they lay around collecting dust. i do enjoy collect games.

#22 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2263 posts) -

It really depends on what game I want to play so if there is a PS2 game I want to play then I'll bring out the PS2 from the wardrobe where I keep my other consoles I'm not using. Most of the time though I only keep the 3 consoles of this generation out as I really don't want too many consoles laying around on the floor.

#23 Posted by MyNiceIceLife (626 posts) -

The only console from previous generations that are still plugged in is my PS2, but that is on the TV in the basement for whenever i'm motivated to use the exercise bike. Other then that everything gets boxed up once i purchase the next iteration of a console.

#24 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

I'm in a weird position with the question, I am looking at my Xbox set up in front of me, but it's technically a monitor stand to raise it to eye level, so it's both retired and also set up and ready if I find the specific cables. As for the PS2, all of my favorite PS2 games have been released as HD collections, so there goes my need to keep my ps2 out.

#25 Posted by Mamba219 (156 posts) -

Right now I actually don't have any current generation consoles hooked up. I own all three, but I've been playing my PS2 pretty exclusively since around April, alternating between PS1 and PS2 games. I just have so many of them, and really good games are really easy to find used and cheap.

I'd say that I only "retire" consoles when the next consoles are indeed entirely backwards compatible. What that means is, when I got a Wii, I did give away my Gamecube, but if I ever get a WiiU I will have to keep my Wii because I really enjoy Gamecube games. I feel like now I won't be able to fully retire any of my old systems anymore, because there's all this digital stuff that gets downloaded directly to them that ensures I won't be able to sell them.

#26 Posted by nintendork666 (203 posts) -

Never! I play my older consoles even more than my current-gen systems (which I guess, at this point is just the PS3).

#27 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3599 posts) -

By retire you mean take them to the back yard and do the deed... THEN YES!

#28 Posted by Grillbar (1877 posts) -

i traded all my ps1 games including all the different controllers and what not (and there where many) and both the psx and the white ps1 for a car. i have regretted that ever since i wish i still had it. the ps2 with a about 50 games got traded in for a ps3 and a bunch of games never regretted that since i really diddent get in to it since the pc took over more and more.

and now with the ps3 im going to keep it, ill properly hook it up in my office and play with it very rarely but still. that way its not packed away in some closet collection dust but on a shelf with all the games collecting dust

#29 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

The only time I retire a console is when the hinge breaks off my DS and I got buy whatever the new one is.

So like biyearly.

#30 Posted by Vexxan (4623 posts) -

I have Gamecube and PS2 hooked up to my TV and I still play them from time to time. N64 is the only console I've packed up in a box and put in the basement.

#31 Posted by MarsVsHollywood (9 posts) -

I wouldn't say I retire my systems, but I do rotate them in and out occasionally to play older stuff. My N64 is currently hooked up with all my current gen consoles with my PS2. I don't really have much room to have all of my systems plugged in, so the rest of my systems are put in a box until I feel like playing them. My Dreamcast, NES, SNES, Gameboy, GBC, GBA, Gamecube, Fat Ps2, and Sega Saturn all enjoy the company of each other in a lonely box for the time being.

#32 Posted by kogasu (148 posts) -

No, I don't have them all hooked up at the same time but I wouldn't retire them just because they aren't plugged in. I still have my original Xbox plugged in and my Genesis is sitting in a drawer only because I don't have he cable that plugs into the TV anymore. I would have a SNES, PS1 and N64 if they didn't break from family use many years ago.

I sold my Gamecube and games and sincerely regret it now so I don't think I could completely retire a console, plus, I plan on buying a lot of the older consoles soon.

#33 Posted by Little_Socrates (5684 posts) -

I have my PS2 hooked up, my NES is ready whenever I want to start it up, and my N64 is sitting in front of the TV plugged into the wall, but not the TV.

But the Genesis, the SNES, the Gamecube? Those aren't plugged into anything, they're in large plastic boxes with their games. And the Xbox was sold when buying the 360, I think.

I won't be surprised if the Wii stays plugged into a different TV after we plug in the Wii U on Christmas day, though.

#34 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

I currently have a Playstation 1, Famicom, and Xbox 360 hooked up to my tv.

#35 Posted by J12088 (456 posts) -

I retired my 360 2 weeks ago. Wii u replaced it and now sits by my PS3. Isn't a single exclusive coming out for the 360 that want so i see no point in keeping it out. PS3/WII u will do me fine for now.

#36 Posted by IroN1c (535 posts) -

The only "old" console that I have still hooked up is the Dreamcast.

#37 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1259 posts) -

The only console of mine which is in storage and not being used(besides my broken 360s) is my PS2. That being said if I did not have a backwards compatible PS3, it would probably be out.

#38 Posted by CaLe (4023 posts) -

Once new and good games stop coming out for them, absolutely. Going back to old stuff has never been something that interests me.

#39 Edited by Franstone (1140 posts) -

Yes, I've always traded in or sold my consoles to a friend for cheap just before or once the successor arrives.

#40 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1863 posts) -

I do, but not absolutely: I still pop by my SNES every so often, and plan to do the same with some of my other consoles as well.

#41 Posted by GalacticGravy (550 posts) -

Ones I don't use, yes. I still have my PS2 (for playing the Mega Man and Mega Man X collections almost exclusively), PS3 (i use it as a media hub/Netflix), Xbox 360 (play most of my games on), and SNES (still like some Super MArio World now and then).

I have about 14 consoles, and most of them are stored away for now, because I don't sue them often.

#42 Posted by Hamst3r (4530 posts) -

I don't have any of my older consoles or handhelds. The NES, SNES, GB and PS1 are all gone. Don't want 'em.

#43 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Yes. And soon I'll have to learn to throw shit out. Should start throwing out cases and put game discs into binders. Same for all the DVDs. Got like a couple of thrashbags filled with PS1 games too. Quite honestly, I'd be glad if I had no physical collections whatsoever, if only I could attached all these licenses to my name, and conveniently access the content online.

I intend to embrace the age of digital distribution fully pretty soon. Just finally need to pony up for a debit card.

#44 Posted by TheRealMoot (400 posts) -

I retired my PS2 when I got my PS3, but had to pull it back out when I upgraded to a slim PS3.

My Gamecube remains retired to it's box / display corner thanks to the Wii.

Everything else is on the shelf ready to be played! Nes, Snes, Genesis, N64, PS2, PS3, Xbox and Wii plugged in and ready to go!

#45 Posted by Hunter5024 (5840 posts) -

When I originally bought my ps3 I went out of my way to get the model that was backwards compatible because I knew I wouldn't be able to buy a lot of ps3 games to sustain myself for a while. For this generation what I think I'm gonna do is set up my old sd tv in the corner and hook my ps3 and all my old nintendo consoles up to it just in case I get the urge to play them again.

#46 Posted by AndrewB (7670 posts) -

It's more of a "I'm going to hook up this console years after the fact" kind of thing with me. I haven't touched any of my consoles for more than one or two necessary games in years. Even with the older games, like Genesis/SNES era, I feel like it's often very difficult to go back to many of them. Thus, they remain around, but often uplugged/unused and collecting dust. I'll never sell them, though, because I *do* always tend to go back once in a great while, if only for a moment of amusement.

There's a never-ending supply of good new releases worth my limited time. So many that I feel almost guilty going back and playing one I've already played.

#47 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

I put my 360 in the closet when I got my PC, so yes kinda.

#48 Posted by SynticV1 (53 posts) -

Current Gen systems are on the Living Room TVs. Retro Systems are hooked up to a TV I have in my den. That way if I throw a LAN or I get an itch to play something old school, I don't have to dig through a bunch of boxes to find it.

#49 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2913 posts) -

I really just have so little interest in old games that I tend to box away the games and systems.  I just don't like playing old games at all, I don't feel nostalgic when I boot up old games.   I play them for a few minutes and then get bored or annoyed with their janky old menus or game play.  I have not sold off all my old games and gear, but I will do that soon.  

#50 Posted by kgb0515 (411 posts) -

Meh....I don't really retire consoles. I usually just put them on a bench for a while. The only real exception is that I recently traded my PS2 and around 25 games in. I hadn't touched the thing in over 2 years, and I know I can always get another one for around $20 if I want.