Do You Still Have Faith in the Guitar Hero Franchise?

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

After countless spin-off's and band specific games, the GH franchise has brought itself many new fans, but has seemingly alienated the original fanbase. Since then, rival franchise Rock Band has held its own and brought regular DLC to a whole new level. Now with spin off's like DJ Hero and Band Hero in the pipeline, many franchise faithful have left the series to play Rock Band exclusively, feeling that the GH series has more or less "sold out".

I for one have been a long time fan of both franchises, feeling that they both excel in different ways. While I felt World Tour was a tremendous failure, I feel the changes introduced in GH: Metallica were much needed and helped smooth out the rough interface I hated so much in World Tour. While I initially thought Metallica would be my last GH game that I buy, the artist list for GH5 has me interested in the franchise once again.

What do you guys think? Are you still interested in the franchise or have abandoned it entirely?

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_A_Drain

I lost my 'faith' (not that I had 'faith' to begin with...) in Guitar Hero the day ActiVision bought it up because they knew it was the next big thing.

Rock Band is where it's at.

I don't buy the whole 'selling out' bullshit though, the franchise didn't sell out, and the creators didnt have much of a choice after the amount of cash offered. If it means people who like Metallica can wank their plastic guitars all night long then so be it, I don't see a problem with that. I just don't like the music the newer ones are offering, and don't particularly want to give my money to ActiVision right now.

Matt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Matt_

Harmonix all the way for me.

Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By Heartagram

Here's the deal....guitar hero is much more difficult but not as fun because of that. But i can see people who are way into it liking guitar hero more because of said difficulty

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By VWGTI

The only reason I bought GH:WT last year was the inclusion of three TOOL songs. Unless they do a Guitar Hero TOOL at some point, I don't see myself ever buying another copy of their games.

The note charts in Guitar Hero games are just randomly put on a moving track, so it really takes away from the experience if you ask me. Rock Band wants the player to live through musicians vicariously and they succeed in doing that. Because of this reason alone I have no faith in the GH franchise.

Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The_A_Drain said:
"I lost my 'faith' (not that I had 'faith' to begin with...) in Guitar Hero the day ActiVision bought it up because they knew it was the next big thing.Rock Band is where it's at.I don't buy the whole 'selling out' bullshit though, the franchise didn't sell out, and the creators didnt have much of a choice after the amount of cash offered. If it means people who like Metallica can wank their plastic guitars all night long then so be it, I don't see a problem with that. I just don't like the music the newer ones are offering, and don't particularly want to give my money to ActiVision right now. "
I felt skeptical when Activision bought the name but GH3 has become one of my favorite music games ever. Let me make this clear: I think anyone who feels that the franchise has "sold out" is a hypocrite. Notice I never said that that was my personal opinion. Besides, RB has taken the exact same steps Activision has with expanding the franchise, between the handheld games and the band specific entries. I also feel like the music in the GH series has suffered. I thought World Tour's set list was awful. The series as a whole needs to edge away from the classic rock genre. They need to add more genres into the games like Rock Band has, having a healthy balance between metal, classic rock, modern rock, and even....(shudders)...country. I'm also growing rather sick of the "celebrity guests!" that they've put in since GH3. They just come off as gimicky at this point. The only improvement with DLC that came with World Tour was the price. I can say I've only paid for one single DLC track for the game, and it was "No Rain" by Blind Melon. It seems like every time there is DLC for WT, it's some Hendrix pack of songs no one knows.
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Black_Rose

"Selling out" is a stupid term, sure they did it, but so did Rock Band with stuff like AC/DC, The beatles and Lego RB, also not counting the fact that the second game was released just a year after the first, you're being a hypocrit.

As for the question, I never had "faith" in neither franchise.

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By nohthink

I stopped playing after the second one. I saw the music list of the third one, thought it was terrible. So yeah, I lost faith in Guitar Hero after the second one.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Out_On_Bail

Just like anything else, the 'bubble' will pop. They are only milking it to the extreme until it does.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Linkyshinks

The spin off''s while strenghening the franchise, have indeed weakend how it's viewed by many of the core initial audience, including me those games have for the most part been weak crap, especially those PS2 games *shudders8. I too felt WT was shite, I still have faith though, they just need to make a really good game next time around, by taking into consideration the innovation elsewhere and building upon it further. 

I don't object to spin offs either, if they were to sign up someone as big as The Beatles or something else akin to my tastes, I would jump straight into again, with little care about recent games.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Everyones_A_Critic:

I didn't imply that it was your opinion, I simply stated I don't buy the whole sellout thing, any business' aim is to make money, there very reason for existing is to 'sell out' so, I feel people have no right to complain when a company jumps at the chance for some quick cash. No legitimate grounds for complaint anyway, they can bitch and whine all they want, god knows I do it enough.

Anyway, I loved GHIII because it's obvious ActiVision splashed the cash for some decent songs, but I didn't like it that much as an improvement over GHII's gameplay, and I still preffered GH's setlist. The note charts were beyond fucked, Harmonix actually knows how to make a rythm game. And now that Iron Maiden DLC has made it's way onto Rock Band, combine that with the AC/DC pack i've got, and I need never buy another rythm game ever.

I don't mind so much Rock Band expanding, because it brings improvements with each iteration, Guitar Hero on the other hand is just ActiVison out to make a quick buck, which as I said I have no objections to, but tripping over their heels to keep up with Rock Band, and silly celebrity endorsements (My exception would be Dio) do not make me want their products, and I too had a bad experience with world tour, I rented it, and realised that most of the stuff I was interested in was in RB2 as well, and the note charts were still fucked.

So yeah, I just feel Harmonix makes a much better rythm game, but then it's to be expected, you wouldn't give Harmonix the Tony Hawks franchise and expect them not to fuck it up.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By JJOR64

I'm still enjoying the series but, I think they are releasing to many titles a year.  Then should just stick with one major release and maybe one spin off a year.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#13  Edited By RHCPfan24

I think both franchises are guilty of milking the cash cow too hard, but I still love Rock Band 2 with an obsession. I still have a lot of Guitar Hero games (World Tour, Metallica, III, Aerosmith, more) and I will probably buy at least one other GH/RB game this year. I have faith that there are good games, but I am getting tired of it, yes.

HairyMike87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By HairyMike87
@Everyones_A_Critic: not after seeing the tremendous job harmonix has done with their dlc. i can't stand it when activision keeps pumping out discs and fails to support a main game. rock band is more convienient but i may still buy band specific guitar hero games if theres no chance of them going to rock band.
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Black_Rose said:
""Selling out" is a stupid term, sure they did it, but so did Rock Band with stuff like AC/DC, The beatles and Lego RB, also not counting the fact that the second game was released just a year after the first, you're being a hypocrit.As for the question, I never had "faith" in neither franchise. "
It's a stupid term but everyone seems to throw it around whenever something popular or even slightly mainstream comes up. Maybe "faith" was the wrong word, because everyone seems to hate it. My bad.
Kazu666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Kazu666

I know its probably too much to ask, but i wish both companies would just spend a few years basically perfecting the GH / RB games, and then just keep a steady stream of DLC coming. I don't want endless sequels >.<