• 93 results
#1 Posted by SamStrife (1286 posts) -

Giantbomb I have just discovered a problem I never knew I had.

It started yesterday when I bought myself a new pet hedgehog and decided that she would make a lovely mascot for my online persona. So I take a couple of photos of her, find the perfect one and set to upload it as my new avatar. The only thing is when I got round to doing it, I found it reallyt difficult. I've been chatting on forums for close to a decade now and the majority of that time I've always used the same avatar.

Granted, I was never the hugest poster on GB but I'm sure there's someone on here that goes, "Hey I know that proifle pic, it's that dude!" and I know when it comes to me, I I look to a persons picture to see who it is talking before I even think to look at their user name. There's certainly people on this forum I can spot and recognise by their avatar andknow exactly what type of post I'm in for reading.

So I eventually pulled the trigger and changed it, but it still feels weird to me....kind of like having a haircut in real life I guess.

So do duders out there have this issue? Could you imagine changing your avatar? Do you routinely change it? Am I crazy or is this a genuine problem people have?

#2 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I will never change.

#3 Posted by SamStrife (1286 posts) -

@CL60: Not even if I double dare you to?

#4 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@SamStrife said:

Not even if you TRIPLE dare me.

#5 Edited by AndrewB (7691 posts) -

Yup. I used the same avatar for years (minus a Santa hat and St. Patty's day variation). Every time I change now I feel like it's that much easier for people to lose me. Had the same problem with deciding to change my account name, but apparently now I don't have that option anymore, so burden lifted.

#6 Posted by Phatmac (5730 posts) -

Nope. I don't hold such attachments to trivial things such as avatars on a gaming website.

#7 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

I wish I wouldn't, but I change my avatar all the time. Hopefully I'll be able to stick with Shinobu for a while!

#8 Posted by SamStrife (1286 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@SamStrife said:

Not even if you TRIPLE dare me.

Damn son you serious.

@Phatmac said:

Nope. I don't hold such attachments to trivial things such as avatars on a gaming website.

See this is what I thought the general response would be, as it is a stupid thing to get remotely hung up over. Do you not feel you don't have an ideantity on this forum if you constantly change your picture?

#9 Posted by rjayb89 (7729 posts) -

I change my avatar all the time, so no.

#10 Posted by Phatmac (5730 posts) -

@SamStrife: I probably would hold some value if other people noticed. As of right now I don't feel like a part of the community, but just a poster on a forum. I haven't been here long enough to make internet chums so that's my main reason why. I don't find it too weird if you know people on here. I just don't have that attachment yet.

#11 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11411 posts) -

I find that I often associate users by the image, not the name, so if they suddenly change it, I get confused. The worst is when they change the name and the picture, and then I wonder why I'm following someone on the site that I think I've never seen before.

So no, I don't change mine very often, but in the past, I've found changing it to be easy. I made a large shift from Uncle (from Jackie Chan Adventures) to 2D York, and then I started adding seasonal hats (starting with a Thanksgiving one), and the Fourth of July one stuck, and I wanna say that people associate me with that picture. I think I got a little off topic there.

#12 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
#13 Posted by PenguinDust (12640 posts) -

Except for the annual Christmas avatar, this is only the second one I've used here since 2008. Well, there was an additional one related to the Modern Warfare 2 vs Super Mario Bros. Wii bet of 2009 but that was a penalty icon displayed for just one month. I think that most of us get used to seeing the specific avatar associated with a username, so I prefer not to confuse people by changing mine too often. And by "too often" I mean more than once every few years.

#14 Posted by SamStrife (1286 posts) -

@Phatmac: That seems like reasonable logic. I'm pretty sure there's an opposite end to that specturm where you're know so well amongst a community your name alone carries enough weight and you can change your picture whenever you like.

#15 Posted by mandude (2666 posts) -

I've been using this avatar on all message boards since 2005. I will not change it.

#16 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@CL60 said:

I will never change.

Then I will change you!....Wait....Then I will change you! Much better.

You can try, but you will fail.

#17 Posted by Pezen (1670 posts) -

This place is the first I've actually been regularly on that I only changed once. I remember another forum I used to frequent that also had signatures (but had size rules etc.). So about every week I was messing in photoshop and gave myself a new "look". That one also gave you the option to give yourself a "title" under your username. Oh internet.

#18 Posted by mlarrabee (3064 posts) -

@mandude: I know that image! From where do I know it?! (Man, English is an awkward language.)

#19 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

I struggle to keep it. Also, prepositions are what you should end sentences with.

#20 Posted by SamStrife (1286 posts) -

@Pezen: Yeah, on other forums signatures were the best way I could change my look up whilst still retaining my identity with my avatar. Can't say I miss seeing sigs all over forums though.

#21 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@CL60:

Ah, but I know that I shall succeed in my endeavors to change you in some way.

#22 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Consistency is a great thing.

#23 Edited by TentPole (1858 posts) -

I like to represent my favorite things.

I already had a Cormac McCarthy book.

Time to put Modest Mouse to bed.

#24 Posted by pyromagnestir (4339 posts) -

Milky 4 life!

#25 Posted by Pezen (1670 posts) -

@SamStrife: Yeah, some forums are unbearable to look at. But we had pretty good size restrictions and if those were not followed they got modified or had that option removed. But I always matched sig/avatar, made a theme of it all. But that was also a rather tight-knit community so people knew you more by your username at that point.

#26 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5101 posts) -

Mine is gonna stay for a while, that's for sure.

#27 Posted by SamStrife (1286 posts) -

I've also now realised that sonce I've changed the pic for GB, every time I go to a site with my old pic I will need to change it there as well. Dang.

@MrKlorox said:

I struggle to keep it. Also, sentences are what you should end prepositions with.

Don't hate on the way I speak or I'll send you below.

#28 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (687 posts) -

@Phatmac: from hence forth you shall be known as number 1! when you are finished here i shall see you in my ready room.

#29 Posted by mandude (2666 posts) -

@mlarrabee: I've used it on the Oblivion forums and another small tightly knit community, but more than likely, you know it from the Flag of Sicily or the Flag of the Isle of Man.

(I am neither Sicilian, nor Manx)

#30 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@SamStrife: That last part was meant for mrlarabee.
#31 Edited by believer258 (12208 posts) -

I've thought about changing it several times to a different character but every time that thought comes along I just shrug my shoulders and forget about it.

I like my avatar. The show it comes from (Full Metal Alchemist) has some problems here and there but I can't help but enjoy the hell out of it despite those problems. Plus, I mean, come on - thumbs up with an arm made out of metal. How cool could you get?

#32 Posted by SamStrife (1286 posts) -

@MrKlorox: I see, which is kind of a relief to be honest because I couldn't find where I ended with a preposition but I assumed you were right...

Continue your business sir.

#33 Posted by HatKing (6115 posts) -

@TentPole said:

I like to represent my favorite thins.

I already had a Cormac McCarthy book.

Time to put Modest Mouse to bed.

I like you.

I've been using this one for a very long time. I changed years ago, and when I did I committed to this one. I don't foresee myself changing it.

#34 Posted by fox01313 (5089 posts) -

No problem with changing the 360 avatar from time to time, as for the GB icon, just not going to change it.

#35 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Nope, sooner or later i get bored with using a single avatar and change it no prob. Must have changed it dozens of times. However, unless I see something ridiculously cool, I'll be sticking with the one I'm using now.

#36 Posted by mlarrabee (3064 posts) -

@mandude: Isle of Man, that's the one! Thanks!

Wait, where did I see the flag of the Isle of Man? You don't happen to know that as well, do you?

#37 Posted by mandude (2666 posts) -

@mlarrabee: I sure do! You had a dream about it, not 3 nights ago.

#38 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

I shall forever remain a laughing M. Hulot.

#39 Posted by Animasta (14727 posts) -

I change it all the time, people still recognize me

#40 Edited by ManU_Fan10ne (659 posts) -

if i would change my avatar, it would mean that i am not a Manchester United fan, therefore, i will never change my avatar.

#41 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

I struggle with every post I make, not so much with the avatar.

#42 Posted by Demoskinos (15164 posts) -

I tend not to that much. I've had like 3 or so since I've started regularly posting. I think I'll stay with Juliet for awhile. I find change in general hard for even the dumbest things. I changed my pawns hair color in Dragons Dogma stared at it for 5 minutes then changed it right back. Its real dumb I know...but ugh.

#43 Posted by AndrewB (7691 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

I wish I wouldn't, but I change my avatar all the time. Hopefully I'll be able to stick with Shinobu for a while!

You're using the wrong Shinobu. Here, take this.

#44 Posted by OwnlyUzinWonHan (1485 posts) -

I used to have a Street Fighter 4 Rufus avatar for a long time back then those boards were actually active, but I changed it since it died.

I don't post nearly as much as I used to anyway so I doubt most people would remember me.

#45 Edited by MightyDuck (1524 posts) -
@CL60: Oh yeah? 

I used to change my avatar every week or so.  Thankfully, these compulsive tendencies have subsided a bit for the past year or so.   
#46 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

I like to stick to variations of a theme. Bananas Iwata was too good to pass up.

#47 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I am almost afraid to change, but every year I make myself choose a different misc background character in Banjo-Kazooie and just move along with my life.

#48 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@CL60 said:

I will never change.

This, I have been Kermit from day one, and will continue to be Kermit.

#49 Posted by AlexW00d (6446 posts) -

I have had the same avatar here since I created my account, but I have changed it once for Dave's birthday 'cause loads of us did.

#50 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@AndrewB: Hey, I love Shinobu Maehara as much as the next guy! but Shinobu Oshino is waaaaaaay better.