• 100 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by 1m4d34g4m3w1thz0mb13s (16 posts) -

Do you put them in the same league as Microsoft's Xbox or Sony's Playstation or Nintendo's Wii? Not in terms of features or whatnot, but in terms of seeing them as "another competitor"?

#2 Posted by Nictel (2436 posts) -

The Shield/SHIELD(?) reminds me too much of the NGage.. So no. I suspect both of them will get too little support to become any sort of meaningful competition.

#3 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1253 posts) -

No. Did I take onLive seriously when it came out? Interesting concept, probably even a good when if it worked, but no.

#4 Posted by Anund (940 posts) -

@Nictel said:

The Shield/SHIELD(?) reminds me too much of the NGage.. So no. I suspect both of them will get too little support to become any sort of meaningful competition.

What kind of support does the Shield need except the support of nVidia who makes it? If I can stream my PC games to a handheld then the SHIELD is well worth buying to me. It's not like it needs third part support as long as people make PC games.

#5 Posted by Morningstar (2240 posts) -

No, not at all.

#6 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2132 posts) -

I would say I am genuinely curious about every new piece of tech that comes out that is like what you described. I just don't expect them to do well by default so that I can be either pleasantly surprised if it does well or not too bothered if it doesn't. That being said I'm irrationally taking the Valve Piston PC real seriously only because I love the form-factor and its potential. However I'm keeping my excitement levels in check for that one as there's no demonstration of it working with any games at this time.

#7 Posted by BelligerentEngine (348 posts) -

No, and personally I find the OUYA to be kind of hilarious. Who knows though the future could prove me wrong, I seriously doubt it, but it could.

#8 Posted by Bell_End (1203 posts) -

this is video games. i take all this VERY seriously!

#9 Posted by ValeYard (149 posts) -

OUYA more than Shield, but that's just my first impression. Both have a bit of a vapory feel to them. However, Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo would have to work really hard to appear in such a light, because they still have good market positions, but Sega's history does show that it only takes a few not too popular consoles to get there.

Often it isn't about the hardware itself, but about the company behind it, its ideas, its money, being able to react to customers needs once they've bought the product. I just think it's great how innovative gaming hardware design is at the moment, exciting times.

#10 Posted by UlquioKani (1182 posts) -

Yeah, because If it catches on, then It might make the next generation even more interesting. I am curious about them but If you mean, would I buy one? Then no

#11 Posted by Fearbeard (834 posts) -

Nope

But I didn't take the iPhone or iPad seriously either (and I still don't really, though as a market force it can't be ignored)

I'm actually far more likely to enjoy gaming on the new Nvida thing then I usually am on my iPhone.

#12 Posted by Nictel (2436 posts) -

@Anund said:

@Nictel said:

The Shield/SHIELD(?) reminds me too much of the NGage.. So no. I suspect both of them will get too little support to become any sort of meaningful competition.

What kind of support does the Shield need except the support of nVidia who makes it? If I can stream my PC games to a handheld then the SHIELD is well worth buying to me. It's not like it needs third part support as long as people make PC games.

Well first of all in the least the game needs controller support, which I wil say is growing, but without controller support it won't work. Yes you can map it without support but then you have to be constantly remindend dat say F7 = RT+X and F8 = RT+LT+Y.. Not the thing that would make it popular.

Secondly streaming? Over wireless? I don't know about you but I can't even stream video over wireless let alone games. Thirdly, why would I stream a game (which it only can over wifi) to the Shield if my computer is a few meters away? A hdmi cable to my tv is cheaper...

#13 Posted by Jadeskye (4368 posts) -

The shield and the Ouya both have enormous potential but i'll hold off buying until i see the support.

#14 Posted by Anund (940 posts) -

@Nictel said:

@Anund said:

@Nictel said:

The Shield/SHIELD(?) reminds me too much of the NGage.. So no. I suspect both of them will get too little support to become any sort of meaningful competition.

What kind of support does the Shield need except the support of nVidia who makes it? If I can stream my PC games to a handheld then the SHIELD is well worth buying to me. It's not like it needs third part support as long as people make PC games.

Well first of all in the least the game needs controller support, which I wil say is growing, but without controller support it won't work. Yes you can map it without support but then you have to be constantly remindend dat say F7 = RT+X and F8 = RT+LT+Y.. Not the thing that would make it popular.

Secondly streaming? Over wireless? I don't know about you but I can't even stream video over wireless let alone games. Thirdly, why would I stream a game (which it only can over wifi) to the Shield if my computer is a few meters away? A hdmi cable to my tv is cheaper...

I can tell you're not married ;) When there are other people living in the same house, the TV is not always available for gaming. And sitting alone in front of the computer may well work for a while, but hardly counts as "quality time" in the eyes of your significant other. If I can play my PC games on the couch next to my wife while she's watching her shows on TV... that is a step up.

#15 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (850 posts) -

Not really.

#16 Posted by bemusedchunk (734 posts) -

Nope.

#17 Posted by BionicRadd (616 posts) -

I hope to buy an OUYA on day one. I play and enjoy enough games on my Nexus 7 to know that there are plenty of games I can play on it. Within a month or two of OUYA's release, someone will port vanilla android to it and then from there, I'll have a fairly nice, cheap android box permanently attached to my TV.

#18 Posted by egg (1469 posts) -

I thought OUYA was a kickstarter project. If it is then I don't put it on the same level as Sony/Microsoft.

Shield maybe yes, but that depends on whether the makers actually take it seriously.

#19 Posted by ProfessorEss (7518 posts) -

I don't take anything seriously until it's available.

#20 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

I think ouya (don't know what shield is yet) maybe could find some kind of niche as a lower-tier thing like as a companion to your main platform. But as a threat, not really.

#21 Posted by Daiphyer (1352 posts) -

I don't even take the Wii U seriously.

#22 Posted by Nictel (2436 posts) -

@Anund said:

@Nictel said:

@Anund said:

@Nictel said:

The Shield/SHIELD(?) reminds me too much of the NGage.. So no. I suspect both of them will get too little support to become any sort of meaningful competition.

What kind of support does the Shield need except the support of nVidia who makes it? If I can stream my PC games to a handheld then the SHIELD is well worth buying to me. It's not like it needs third part support as long as people make PC games.

Well first of all in the least the game needs controller support, which I wil say is growing, but without controller support it won't work. Yes you can map it without support but then you have to be constantly remindend dat say F7 = RT+X and F8 = RT+LT+Y.. Not the thing that would make it popular.

Secondly streaming? Over wireless? I don't know about you but I can't even stream video over wireless let alone games. Thirdly, why would I stream a game (which it only can over wifi) to the Shield if my computer is a few meters away? A hdmi cable to my tv is cheaper...

I can tell you're not married ;) When there are other people living in the same house, the TV is not always available for gaming. And sitting alone in front of the computer may well work for a while, but hardly counts as "quality time" in the eyes of your significant other. If I can play my PC games on the couch next to my wife while she's watching her shows on TV... that is a step up.

Haha you're right ;-). Though I doubt what you describe is really 'quality time' with each other. Still I don't know what it would cost but a wireless controller / keyboard+mouse set up with a small monitor would be more appealing to me personally.

#23 Posted by Anund (940 posts) -

@Nictel said:

@Anund said:

@Nictel said:

@Anund said:

@Nictel said:

The Shield/SHIELD(?) reminds me too much of the NGage.. So no. I suspect both of them will get too little support to become any sort of meaningful competition.

What kind of support does the Shield need except the support of nVidia who makes it? If I can stream my PC games to a handheld then the SHIELD is well worth buying to me. It's not like it needs third part support as long as people make PC games.

Well first of all in the least the game needs controller support, which I wil say is growing, but without controller support it won't work. Yes you can map it without support but then you have to be constantly remindend dat say F7 = RT+X and F8 = RT+LT+Y.. Not the thing that would make it popular.

Secondly streaming? Over wireless? I don't know about you but I can't even stream video over wireless let alone games. Thirdly, why would I stream a game (which it only can over wifi) to the Shield if my computer is a few meters away? A hdmi cable to my tv is cheaper...

I can tell you're not married ;) When there are other people living in the same house, the TV is not always available for gaming. And sitting alone in front of the computer may well work for a while, but hardly counts as "quality time" in the eyes of your significant other. If I can play my PC games on the couch next to my wife while she's watching her shows on TV... that is a step up.

Haha you're right ;-). Though I doubt what you describe is really 'quality time' with each other. Still I don't know what it would cost but a wireless controller / keyboard+mouse set up with a small monitor would be more appealing to me personally.

Hehe, true, maybe not "quality time", but at least we're in the same room. And sitting on the couch with a monitor sounds unappealing. I think I like the idea of SHIELD for some of the same reasons Gabe over at Penny Arcade likes the WIiU.

#24 Posted by Nictel (2436 posts) -

@Anund said:

@Nictel said:

@Anund said:

@Nictel said:

@Anund said:

@Nictel said:

The Shield/SHIELD(?) reminds me too much of the NGage.. So no. I suspect both of them will get too little support to become any sort of meaningful competition.

What kind of support does the Shield need except the support of nVidia who makes it? If I can stream my PC games to a handheld then the SHIELD is well worth buying to me. It's not like it needs third part support as long as people make PC games.

Well first of all in the least the game needs controller support, which I wil say is growing, but without controller support it won't work. Yes you can map it without support but then you have to be constantly remindend dat say F7 = RT+X and F8 = RT+LT+Y.. Not the thing that would make it popular.

Secondly streaming? Over wireless? I don't know about you but I can't even stream video over wireless let alone games. Thirdly, why would I stream a game (which it only can over wifi) to the Shield if my computer is a few meters away? A hdmi cable to my tv is cheaper...

I can tell you're not married ;) When there are other people living in the same house, the TV is not always available for gaming. And sitting alone in front of the computer may well work for a while, but hardly counts as "quality time" in the eyes of your significant other. If I can play my PC games on the couch next to my wife while she's watching her shows on TV... that is a step up.

Haha you're right ;-). Though I doubt what you describe is really 'quality time' with each other. Still I don't know what it would cost but a wireless controller / keyboard+mouse set up with a small monitor would be more appealing to me personally.

Hehe, true, maybe not "quality time", but at least we're in the same room. And sitting on the couch with a monitor sounds unappealing. I think I like the idea of SHIELD for some of the same reasons Gabe over at Penny Arcade likes the WIiU.

He also has the father/husband argument, I wonder if nVidia realizes this or is going to market this at teeanagers...

#25 Posted by BionicRadd (616 posts) -

My main gripe with the Shield is within a few months of it's release, you'll be able to find a more powerful tablet with a bigger screen for the same price and bring whatever controller you want to the party. Get a bit of desktop streaming software and you can even do the PC mirroring thing, as well. All for less than the cost of the Shield and a video card that would support Shield's streaming tech, I bet.

#26 Posted by Branthog (5597 posts) -

I don't take any of these seriously, until they're really a viable platform. However, I do find them interesting and am always eager to see new things succeed. More hardware, better hardware, more freedom on platforms. Few will be hits, but you aren't going to get the one or two massive hit products that have life without a lot of failed attempts. I'm glad to see an interest in these attempts. Good on them.

#27 Edited by Pr1mus (3946 posts) -

Ouya is a big non-portable smartphone. Something about that description makes it hard to take it seriously.

The Shield... i don't know and don't want to think about it. Actually, as a handheld that is really not portable it's a waste of everybody's time. As a streaming device there could be something there but like BionicRadd said above, what's to prevent any other device you have of doing the same thing with any controller you have at your disposal?

#28 Posted by McLargepants (395 posts) -

They are different situations. The Ouya has to have developer support, which is dubious, the Shield will play games from the Google Play store (there is some good stuff on there) and be able to stream my Steam games right out of the box. So in accomplishing what they are trying to do, the Shield is much more likely to succeed. However, I have serious doubts the Shield will ever see the light of day, whereas I do believe we'll see the Ouya.

#29 Posted by JoeyRavn (4983 posts) -

Do I think they pose a serious threat to Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony? No.

Do I think they are devices that could be used in interesting ways? Yes.

Will I buy one of either of them? Probably not.

#30 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

@Morningstar said:

No, not at all.

#31 Posted by Nictel (2436 posts) -

Question: Does the Ouya actually have enough power to play anything more than mobile games?

I mean the specs are:

  • Tegra3 quad-core processor
  • 1GB RAM
  • 8GB of internal flash storage

... I will be able to buy phones with more..

#32 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

The Ouya: It has a fan.

#33 Posted by Vexxan (4614 posts) -

Not really, but I think OUYA has more of a shot at being somewhat successful than Shield.

#34 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1682 posts) -

I'm not interested in the OUYA, but for a certain crowd (especially people wanting to mess around with game development, but also indie enthusiasts), it seems like it could be neat. I think the way they marketed it was deceptive, and it's probably going to end up disappointing a lot of people (especially since I don't see it launching March 2013).

Shield looks kind of awful. It doesn't help that I don't really care about Android or PC gaming (and I'm especially not interested in streaming PC games to a 5-inch screen).

#35 Posted by 1m4d34g4m3w1thz0mb13s (16 posts) -

How about PISTON (aka Xi3, aka SteamBox, aka GabeCube)?

#36 Posted by hermes (1606 posts) -

No, to me those "consoles" fall in the same category as any of the hundreds of other Chinese build portable system. Niche, to say the least.

#37 Posted by Dacnomaniac (444 posts) -

Kinda, some elements are kinda silly. But I like most of it. You really should make a poll, dude :P

#38 Posted by Shortbreadtom (863 posts) -

No, but only because I don't know what Android really is...

#39 Posted by kgb0515 (405 posts) -

Yeah, I totally underestimated the influence of tablets a couple of years ago, and look where that turned up. I don't know if they will take hold in the same way that current consoles have, but you never know.

#40 Posted by crow13 (146 posts) -

I sort of don't take any console seriously until I see developers taking it seriously. (looks at Wii U)

#41 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

Nope. Not yet anyway, I'm not closed-minded but until I see results I'm also not confident in them.

#42 Posted by Nonapod (126 posts) -

From a business perspective I look at the Ouya, Shield, and now the Piston as sort of high risk, high reward proof of concept type things. Any of those could potentially be huge but it's far more likely that one or all of them will go the way of the N-Gage and Apple Bandai Pippin.

From a gamer perspective I think the Piston interests me the most, but I doubt I'll ever end up buying one.

#43 Posted by DxBecks (72 posts) -

I take the Ouya seriously as I plan to purchase a unit and eventually in the future develop a game on it. Ouya fills a niche perfectly as a device that any indie developer can develop a game for without licensing fees, and with little trouble put it on the Ouya store priced how they want it, and distribute it to thousands with ease. I think it is a nifty little device that will bring some interesting games to the table. As for Shield I'm not sure how to feel about it yet, I guess it comes down to what the full list of features and price are. The device certainly looks interesting but where as the Ouya is only $99, the Shield will likely cost three times that much and I feel like that is harder to take a gamble on at that price.

#44 Posted by SagaciousJones (142 posts) -

@Nictel said:

Question: Does the Ouya actually have enough power to play anything more than mobile games?

No.

But what of Ouya, the Tegra 3 driven micro-console? How suitable is Tegra 3 for the job? Based on the games we've played, the overall feeling we get is that we're looking at technology roughly equivalent to the capabilities of the last-gen Xbox, embellished with higher resolutions and more modern graphical features. It is categorically not on the same level as the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360 - nowhere near.

And the Tegra 4, which is going into the Shield, isn't that much better.

"Numerous Tegra 4 titles were shown during Nvidia's keynote. There's clearly a significant boost to detail and effects but we still seem to be some way off the current-gen console standard."

You will never play Skyrim on an Ouya, people. But, hey! Angry Birds on the TV!

#45 Posted by Orbitz89 (229 posts) -

Can't say I'm too enthused about the Ouya or the SHIELD to be perfectly honest. The Ouya isn't marketed for people like me ( Phone games with buttons. It's a step in the right direction but they're still phone games. ) and the design of SHIELD is ridiculous to me. IF it had a design like the PS Vita I would be more interested.. I hate folding handhelds. Not to mention the SHIELD only seems to open up about half way.. from what I've seen, It looks like it would be cumbersome to play.

#46 Posted by Abendlaender (2889 posts) -

As long as there isn't a single good exclusive titel to a console I'm not interested (in buying it). As a concept? Sure, that's pretty interesting, let's see how it goes.

#47 Posted by Legion_ (1557 posts) -

NOPE.

#48 Posted by Ares42 (2796 posts) -

They all seem to have failed to realize the most important thing about making a console. It's not just about making a console, it needs first-party software too. Without any serious major first party developers a pure console will never ever ever catch on. It's why you need big corporations like Sony or Microsoft behind this stuff, as they are the only ones that can afford both to develop the console and to buy out developers. The market advantage they get by doing that is just too big for anyone to overcome.

#49 Posted by Lysergica33 (542 posts) -

They seem like fairly experimental machines for niche audiences. And that's fine.

#50 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

It all depends on whether or not the existence of these devices drives development for controller focused games. The vast majority of current Android games are built around touch. Even if they have controller support, they were designed to be played with touch controls. It's clear in shooters like Dead Trigger and racing games like NFS: Most Wanted. If I'm going to sit down on the couch and play something, it's not going to be made by Gameloft and it'll be designed for the hardware and control that I'm using. It's going to take a lot of sales for EA to make an Android version of these games that plays like the console versions rather than the current phone versions.
 
The Shield is interesting, but I'd much rather have a Tegra 4 phone and a controller that it clips into, like the moga. I'm not going to spend a few hundred on another device that overlaps so much with my phone and needs to be upgraded just as often to play the latest games.
 
As a media box I do think devices like the Ouya have a place. Hulu+, Netflix, HBO GO, XBMC, UPnP, Plex, etc. are available for Android. Android emulation is already pretty good. If you want a low power device for those tasks connected to your TV, it seems like a good idea.