Edited 1 year, 5 months ago

Poll: Do you think people take the forums to seriously? (132 votes)

Yes 34%
No 30%
People take life to seriously. 36%

It's a simple question. I personally believe that any forum thread that makes some people laugh, smirk, grimace, or roll their eyes is a worthy forum thread. A thread is successful when it doesn't leave some people completely indifferent, even if it's just for a fraction of a second. Obviously, I'm not defending "threads" that are hateful or are soliciting. Every time I make a thread or a post I do so because I think it's novel; and every time a thread of mine is locked, I think to myself "Worth it."

#1 Edited by Max_Cherry (1133 posts) -

Worth it.

#3 Edited by HH (609 posts) -

young people take their own opinions too seriously

#4 Posted by TheHT (11132 posts) -

any forum thread that makes some people laugh, smirk, grimace, or roll their eyes is a worthy forum thread.

Not always. A funny video that makes you laugh or a well thought out argument that makes you grimace is fine. A stupid waste-of-time video that makes you grimace or a poorly thought out argument that makes you roll your eyes is not.

Holy shit a dude with a motorcycle helmet!!

#5 Edited by Max_Cherry (1133 posts) -

Should there be a separate section for it?

#6 Posted by TheHT (11132 posts) -

HOLY FUCBALLS ITS MORGAN.

#7 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

Nah, at the end of the day it's all for shits and giggles brah!

#8 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4192 posts) -

I liked this thread. ~ 'Don't give a fuck!!

#9 Posted by Kurugen (13 posts) -

I need to start taking it more seriously than I ever had before.

#10 Posted by Miketakon (514 posts) -

I don't know what the word serious means.

#11 Posted by Dagbiker (6964 posts) -

It really depends, some people come to forums to ask serious questions. and get serious answers and are only greeted with memes and trolls. Such as relationship threads, regardless of what you think of them, it is an asshole thing to do to go into a thread where a guy ( or girl ) is giving personal information, and make them feel like shit for doing so. Im not saying giantbomb is the place for those threads, and I try to give help, and at the same time, directing them to another place to ask.

Then, at the opposite side of the fence are threads about changing the front page DmC picture that go on for 6 pages, and devolve into a silly arguments.

#12 Posted by Max_Cherry (1133 posts) -

Also, I think the thread creator should be able to lock or delete his or her own creation.

#13 Posted by JasonR86 (9657 posts) -

It depends on the person and the topic. Check out any sexism based anything for the wide breadth of seriousness and playful (or asshole-ism based on your personal perspective).

#14 Posted by 49th (2727 posts) -

Yeah, I think complaining about threads is dumb most of the time. Unless it is spam or advertisements. If you are not interested in the topic or don't feel like it will be entertaining you don't have to click on it, right? Or just leave without posting.

Sometimes it's fun to post dumb shit.

#15 Edited by Pr1mus (3869 posts) -

Some people do and they're usually the ones that sticks out the most.

#16 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

Laugh and grow fat

#17 Edited by Ben_H (3341 posts) -

Some people do care way too much and they scare me. But there are others who don't care and those are often the entertaining people.

#18 Posted by Max_Cherry (1133 posts) -

I liked this thread. ~ 'Don't give a fuck!!

Exactly!

#19 Posted by Nightriff (4988 posts) -

Yes...its the internet, of course we do

#20 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

Where is seriously and why would someone take the forums there?

#21 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

people take everything too seriously.

like giantbomb (spearheaded by patrick) crazy crusade against "sexism" in video games. omg a lady in a sexy outfit ITS SEXIST. its laughable.

i want more video game nudity in AAA games. just tons of video game nudity. everywhere. all the damn time. cus why not? right? its video games. its supposed to be fun, sexy can be fun. of course it can. sexy and fun are great, why cant they go together without people crying on twitter?

video games should be sexier!

#22 Posted by NiKva (128 posts) -

I just skim over posts, so I don't know how the rest of you act exactly.

I'll just guess and say "yes" because it sounds like the right sort of answer for this question.

#23 Posted by Azurath (296 posts) -

I think it really depends on the thread.

Everyone posting is another person, with feelings and thoughts just like you. If you take that into consideration, you realize that you should take forums as seriously as talking to another person face-to-face. Even more so, actually, since the internet gives you a huge audience.

I wouldn't say you need to "take it seriously" exactly, but speaking respectfully, and not shit-posting is important in my opinion. Basically, act towards others how you would want them to act towards you, even when in an online environment The internet is just another form of communication, not a place to break all the rules of common sense and courtesy.

#24 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

Anyone who gets offended over the internet needs to take a real hard look at themselves.

#25 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4704 posts) -

I think the mods wind up promoting seriousness over fun. CL60 got banned for posting in a thread that was getting deleted and all he did was say he was rubbing dicks all over himself. Sure it's stupid, but it's the kind of stupid you can laugh at. Then there's hizang who lightened many a mood with his dumb polls.

I think the forums do take themselves too seriously and I think it's pretty sad when you compare threads made today to the hilarious (and retarded) stuff posted during the whiskey days.

But whatever. It's not like voicing your concern is ever going to make a difference.

#26 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

@oldirtybearon: CL60 will probably come back with an alt, if he hasn't already.

#27 Posted by BeachThunder (11828 posts) -

Where is seriously and why would someone take the forums there?

#28 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Yes, and it's 'too' by the way.

#29 Posted by Demoskinos (14755 posts) -

INTERNET IS SERIOUS BIZNEZZ

#30 Edited by DaMisterChief (628 posts) -

hell no

#31 Edited by Kerned (1170 posts) -

You know what I take seriously? Grammar. Not too seriously though.

#32 Edited by Sanity (1896 posts) -

I feel like we do better here then most of the internet, but i agree with letting more of the dumb fun in, whats the harm as long as its not racist or anything.

#33 Posted by bluefish (447 posts) -

It's "TOO" seriously! Think before you speak. COME ON MAN!

...so yes.

#34 Posted by TheHT (11132 posts) -

CL60 got banned for posting in a thread that was getting deleted and all he did was say he was rubbing dicks all over himself.

Whaaaaat. That's just comedy! Or was there more to it than that? Hard to believe there wouldn't be.

#35 Edited by Max_Cherry (1133 posts) -

I like to add a good degree of levity to these forums. So do a lot of people, but recently the environment on the GB forums has changed. Levity and jokes seem to be discouraged now, and the entertaining crazy threads that people used to enjoy taking part in has become a thing of yesteryear. I miss the days when the only forum rule was "don't be a mean jerk."

#36 Edited by TheHT (11132 posts) -

I'm going to read your name with the Crysis Suit voice henchforth.

<MAXIMUM. CHERRY.>

#37 Edited by Oldirtybearon (4704 posts) -

@theht said:

@oldirtybearon said:

CL60 got banned for posting in a thread that was getting deleted and all he did was say he was rubbing dicks all over himself.

Whaaaaat. That's just comedy! Or was there more to it than that? Hard to believe there wouldn't be.

There wasn't. Some mod (MB, I think) was going to delete a thread and a bunch of users were doing stupid "in b4 lock" stuff. CL60 got banned for saying he was rubbing dicks all over himself.

Sadly you can't find the evidence of this thread, or any other, because the mods delete shit like that rather quickly. The only thing you have to go on is them saying "That's what happened guys, honest."

#38 Posted by Jace (1092 posts) -

people take everything too seriously.

like giantbomb (spearheaded by patrick) crazy crusade against "sexism" in video games. omg a lady in a sexy outfit ITS SEXIST. its laughable.

i want more video game nudity in AAA games. just tons of video game nudity. everywhere. all the damn time. cus why not? right? its video games. its supposed to be fun, sexy can be fun. of course it can. sexy and fun are great, why cant they go together without people crying on twitter?

video games should be sexier!

You better fuckin watch it, Patrick is gonna get the grumpy dumpies.

#39 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

You know, I might've said yes.

But then I pretty much stopped using the forums with the redesign, and my post count is pretty crazy high, so I dunno.

#40 Posted by Max_Cherry (1133 posts) -

The results are in. And the winner is, "people take life too seriously." So when you're feeling down just remember that it is better to be happy. I leave you with this, a song from a great man of my parents' generation:

#41 Posted by EXTomar (4670 posts) -

This is after all a message board for a video game site. One should never ask serious questions or take anything posted here that seriously.

#42 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

But then I pretty much stopped using the forums with the redesign, and my post count is pretty crazy high, so I dunno.

Oddly enough, I've been posting less, too. Seems like there are less topics that are interesting overall after the redesign. I wonder if a bunch of people jumped ship?

#43 Edited by believer258 (11785 posts) -

@theht said:

@oldirtybearon said:

There wasn't. Some mod (MB, I think) was going to delete a thread and a bunch of users were doing stupid "in b4 lock" stuff. CL60 got banned for saying he was rubbing dicks all over himself.

Sadly you can't find the evidence of this thread, or any other, because the mods delete shit like that rather quickly. The only thing you have to go on is them saying "That's what happened guys, honest."

I could have sworn that he said something rather rude about Patrick and proceeded to jokingly said "rubs penis on face".

Anyway, it depends on the topic at hand and my mood at the time.

#44 Edited by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

I fucking hope not.

#45 Edited by mtcantor (947 posts) -

WHY WOULD YOU EVEN ASK THIS QUESTION

#46 Posted by Jams (2960 posts) -

@oldirtybearon said:

@theht said:

@oldirtybearon said:

I could have sworn that he said something rather rude about Patrick and proceeded to jokingly said "rubs penis on face".

Anyway, it depends on the topic at hand and my mood at the time.

I don't know why but as I read your guy's posts, I kept laughing every time dick rubbing was mentioned. There's something hilarious about that and I don't know why it cracks me up.

On a more sad note; seems like everyone who's name I recognize is getting banned these days.

#47 Edited by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

@little_socrates said:

Oddly enough, I've been posting less, too. Seems like there are less topics that are interesting overall after the redesign. I wonder if a bunch of people jumped ship?

It's not even that; it's that the forum threads don't appear at the bottom of the home page, and now I navigate to video content rather than the forums. They've largely been pushed to the wayside in the current design. While that's not reducing my time spent on GB, it is actually reducing my time spent here in the forums where I click from page to page much faster than I do when I'm watching a Quick Look.

#48 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@ravenlight said:

@little_socrates said:

It's not even that; it's that the forum threads don't appear at the bottom of the home page, and now I navigate to video content rather than the forums.

It's not even that. The site in general is harder to use. Blogs/user reviews are harder to find, and image galleries are fucked.