Do you think Streaming Sonic 1, 2 and 3 is a good idea?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8d1874be961
deactivated-5d8d1874be961

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey guys, I wanted to get your opinion on something I was thinking of. I never beat any of the sonic games when I was a kid, and was thinking about streaming my way through beating Sonic 1, 2 and 3. Was wondering if you think people would be interested in watching that, or should I just scrap the idea and play it on my own time?

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By BraveToaster

It's better to play Sonic than it is to watch someone play.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea your probably right, but I could do something like play sonic 1,2,3 in one sitting for Child's Play or something. Could be something unique to do and raise money for the children.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Rebel_Scum

I think thats pretty damn pointless. Isn't the idea of finishing a game the reward that comes from enduring the pain to succeed. And then get a kick ass ending at the end for cherries on top.

Another alternative is get an emulator and save it when you want to stop.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sorry sir but I don't understand what is pointless? The point of streaming the games period, or the point of streaming the games for charity?

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Winternet

@TinoXtreme said:

but I could do something like play sonic 1,2,3 in one sitting

you're out of your goddamn mind.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Rebel_Scum

@TinoXtreme: That post wasn't there when I spent donkey-years typing it. Wouldn't it be better for the kids to play it? Also do kids these days like old games? And what the heck is Childs Play as a charity? Are these kids special? In that they can't play Sonic.

Streaming games now because you didn't finish playing them as a kid = pointless, just to settle that.

@Winternet: You're right.

JohnnyAutoFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By JohnnyAutoFire

Play the games, they're fun. And you can't just play Sonic 3, you have to play it locked on to Sonic and Knuckles. Playing them separately just isn't the same.

No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can understand your argument, but my question is why would sites like Giantbomb stream every Thursday night on games new and old? Because people like the entertainment factor of the people playing the games, and it has an interactive factor with people being able to chat with the Giantbomb, while some get to play the games with Jeff, Ryan, Brad, Vinny, Drew, and Patrick.

So the concept of streaming old games can work. If an endurance run of Chrono Trigger can work, then I believe streaming Sonic 1, 2 and 3 can work. Also I have the factor of not completing the game, so viewers can see the struggles of me trying to figure out the levels as I go on completing the games. I would also be talking to chat depending on where I stream at, so it's not them just watching the game as a static viewer. They can interact with the person playing, and that can result in some hilarious or insightful conversations.

Child's Play Charity

"Since 2003, we’ve set up and organized Child’s Play, a game industry charity dedicated to improving the lives of children with toys and games in our network of over 70 hospitals worldwide. Over the years, you as a community have answered the call and come together to raise millions of dollars.
Child’s Play works in two ways. With the help of hospital staff, we set up gift wish lists full of video games, toys, books, and other fun stuff for kids. By clicking on a hospital location on our map, you can view that hospital’s wish list and send a gift.
Child’s Play also receives cash donations throughout the year. With those cash donations, we purchase new consoles, peripherals, games, and more for hospitals and therapy facilities. These donations allow for children to enjoy age-appropriate entertainment, interact with their peers, friends, and family, and can provide vital distraction from an otherwise generally unpleasant experience."

So the added fact that I can help children who are in hospitals and therapy facilities by playing a video game is an added bonus for me. I remember when I was in the 4th grade I caught a nasty case of pneumonia. I was in the hospital for 7 days straight with IVs in my arm and getting back massages from nurses every 4 hours or so to loosen the phlegm up in my lungs. This was the first time I had to stay in a place where my parents weren't with me or someone I knew. What I remembered that helped me cope with the uncertainty was being able to play Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis while getting the meds in me to get released and go back home. If I can help a child forget for just a moment about why they are in the hospital, I have done a great service in my book.

- Yea you can call it crazy, but I think it could gather some needed attention for people to watch and maybe donate to the charity. I've seen people stream 24 hour marathons of playing nothing but Zelda games to raise money for charity, so this would be something similar to that.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Winternet

@TinoXtreme: I'm saying there is no way you can play through Sonic 1,2 and 3 in one single sitting.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Rebel_Scum

@TinoXtreme: Childs Play sounds like a charity from the Gods! But isn't the idea for the kids to play it rather than watch a stream of some ancient game? Wouldn't they rather want a stream of a modern game. I just couldn't imagine the torture of going through all Sonic games one after the other playing it let alone watching it. And I loved the old Sonic games having grown up with it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- Well pretty much doing video games streams for charity is like the modern day telethon. Instead having to watch crappy guest appearances and long boring explanations about the cost they are trying to raise money for, you can stream a video game and raise awareness on a charity you want to raise money for. Plus I believe you want to do something interesting to catch people's attention. Instead of playing like Call of Duty for 24 hours straight or World of Warcraft, why not bring back the classics that helped make what modern games are today.

Why not Sonic, Altered Beast, or Mike Tyson's Punch-Out. Hell streaming a classic Final Fantasy marathon would be fun. Point is your trying to get people intrigued to come watch. And I doubt the kids who are in the hospitals now can watch the stream of the game I'm playing for that charity, unless their parents have a laptop for them to watch it on. Even then, it's not for them to watch the ancient games and donate. It's for the adults who grew up on these ancient games to watch, and give a donation for a good cause. So kids who are in the hospital can play the modern games that we take for granted sometimes.

I do think just streaming me play through Sonic 1, 2 and 3 could be boring to some, but its a basic concept that can expand. Why not have a tournament where we see who can get through Sonic 1, 2 and 3 in the fastest time possible, and stream it on twitch.tv to watch? There can be many ways to give people the incentive to watch or help out. Just have to think outside the box.