#1 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Ok, lets get this out there: I think that the Ouya is dumb. However, I am also a game collector and there is no denying that it's an interesting device. It's also going to be historically relevant...if it ever comes out.

I am considering pre-ordering one through their kickstarter in order to ensure that I actually get my hands on one before they get ridiculously expensive or something, but I'm not 100% confident that it's not some massive scam. Even if it is, I still want any hardware that comes of it. To put this into some perspective, I really wish that I had a Gizmondo. Rather badly.

So what do you think: Will the Ouya ever come out? Will those preorders be fulfilled?

#2 Posted by MattyFTM (14367 posts) -

You can probably pick up a gizmondo on ebay or something pretty cheaply. Just buy one of those and then worry about the Ouya if/when it comes out. I'm pretty certain the Ouya will be a thing, but it's $99 on the kickstarter, and it's going to be $99 when it is released, so I don't see what benefit you get from putting money down on the kickstarter. Especially if you're worried about it not becoming a real product, all you gain from laying down $99 early is worry for your money.

Moderator
#3 Posted by Brodehouse (9847 posts) -

Yeah, it'll come out. It's not like they're in league with Swedish criminals or their offices are an empty building with drawn shades.

#4 Edited by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@MattyFTM: That's a fair point. Of course, they might ship the preordered machines and then flop, or not even fulfill all of those preorders. it's hard to say. But I take your math.

#5 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@MattyFTM: Oh, and working Gizmondos are about 300 bucks if you can find them.

#6 Posted by falserelic (5412 posts) -

I think it will come out but not sell well.

#7 Posted by believer258 (11785 posts) -

I'm going to wait until it's actually out before making the damned call on this thing, though I can't say that I see it toppling our current juggernauts.

#8 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@believer258 said:

I'm going to wait until it's actually out before making the damned call on this thing, though I can't say that I see it toppling our current juggernauts.

Same here.  
Kinda like how I don't judge that movie that hasn't been written yet and calling it terrible 
 
 
Edit: I don't want it to fail though, not at all. 
Where most people just see it as something that can "play mobile games on a TV" I see other things that thing could do, if you mess with it enough.
Online
#9 Edited by Sbaitso (530 posts) -

I think it will come out, and be a spectacular failure. Can't wait.

@believer258: I don't think the intent is to judge it, simply to make a guess based on our very limited knowledge of the thing. Which in my mind are two very different things. Nobody here has said it will be a bad machine, just that it's basically niche and won't take off.

#10 Posted by Insectecutor (1186 posts) -

I like to entertain the idea that Gabe Newell's recent displeasure with Microsoft which he expressed in an interview with Ed Fries (who is involved in Ouya) and Valve's efforts to make a Linux version of Steam might point towards Steam on Ouya. If that is the case then this thing might actually get off the ground. Ouya will need a store, Valve need an open platform.

#11 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@Insectecutor said:

I like to entertain the idea that Gabe Newell's recent displeasure with Microsoft which he expressed in an interview with Ed Fries (who is involved in Ouya) and Valve's efforts to make a Linux version of Steam might point towards Steam on Ouya. If that is the case then this thing might actually get off the ground. Ouya will need a store, Valve need an open platform.

I hope it means a future Steam Box. Ouya doesn't have any real juice to its tech, so nothing but the most basic of steam games would end up on it.

Online
#12 Posted by WarlockEngineerMoreDakka (432 posts) -

Given recent backings by Square Enix and Onlive- I'm pretty sure it'll come out at some point. :)

Whether it'll be allowed to get past the 'Smartphone games on TV' moniker the public's lambasted it with though? That remains to be seen. I honestly doubt it will be able to- and thus be nothing beyond a cult success.

A cult success may be all it needs... But if they want more than that, the Ouya will have to find a way to make marketing appeal with consumers- not just Indie developers.

#13 Posted by mtcantor (947 posts) -

Not convinced. Wouldn't be surprised either way.

#14 Edited by Zenogiasu (192 posts) -

The OUYA will launch. If it doesn't then there's going to be a lot of very angry people.

#15 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@Zenogiasu said:

The OUYA will launch. If it doesn't then there's going to be a lot of very angry people.

I'm not sure that they have any recourse though. I'm pretty sure that Kickstarter contributers are not guaranteed that there will be a final product.

#16 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i don't think so. i see kickstarter as a scam for people to get money.

#17 Posted by Athadam (684 posts) -
@nintendoeats said:

@Zenogiasu said:

The OUYA will launch. If it doesn't then there's going to be a lot of very angry people.

I'm not sure that they have any recourse though. I'm pretty sure that Kickstarter contributers are not guaranteed that there will be a final product.

Exactly. Nothing is making the creators keep their promises besides "strong social pressure" (from the Kickstarter FAQ). There's nothing you can really do - even if they decide to go hide with your money. That said, I think that the Ouya will still be released - but I can't see it being a successful console just from the presales... They'll need to sell a lot more to get developers really noticing.
#18 Posted by Sammo21 (3261 posts) -

Sure but it will be a piece of shit defended by a very few people who won't admit that it cant do anything a tablet doesn't already do with android.

#19 Posted by bartok (2466 posts) -

I think it will do slightly better then the OnLive home console thingee if it ever gets released.  I imagine at best it will be a more convenient way to play illegal game emulators.

#20 Posted by pandorasbox (303 posts) -

I can almost guarantee that the product is produced. The people behind it have a history in the gaming industry, and scamming people out of a million dollars doesn't look good on your resume when you apply for future jobs. That said, they'll need future jobs, this shit's going to bomb.

#21 Posted by StarvingGamer (8135 posts) -

@Sammo21: Can a tablet make it easy for independent developers to get their games to a less tech-savvy audience on their televisions with controller in hand?

#22 Posted by yoshisaur (2701 posts) -

Of course I think it will exist. I still don't understand the paranoia from people that is provided by a few cases of the game/product not actually releasing.

#23 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

it'll come out, and it'll be terrible.

#24 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

@iam3green said:

i don't think so. i see kickstarter as a scam for people to get money.

This. There are legitimate kickstarters, but they're buried beneath all of the scams.

#25 Posted by Sammo21 (3261 posts) -

@StarvingGamer: yes, it can actually. Also, you really don't expect this thing to hit a store shelf...right? They didn't make this abortion for "less tech savy people". If they did they would be developing for mobile and tablets to begin with.

#26 Posted by StarvingGamer (8135 posts) -
@Sammo21

@StarvingGamer: yes, it can actually. Also, you really don't expect this thing to hit a store shelf...right? They didn't make this abortion for "less tech savy people". If they did they would be developing for mobile and tablets to begin with.

You're clearly missing the point. The Ouya is offering developers a completely open platform where they know that the users are going to be playing on a TV with a controller in hand. That's a guarantee that you can't get on any home console and certainly not any tablet, making it a unique environment where games can be designed to the specific strengths of the couch-gaming experience.

Now whether or not a market for this actually exists will have to be seen, but this is definitely something different and new.
#27 Posted by fini_fly (767 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

@Sammo21

@StarvingGamer: yes, it can actually. Also, you really don't expect this thing to hit a store shelf...right? They didn't make this abortion for "less tech savy people". If they did they would be developing for mobile and tablets to begin with.

You're clearly missing the point. The Ouya is offering developers a completely open platform where they know that the users are going to be playing on a TV with a controller in hand. That's a guarantee that you can't get on any home console and certainly not any tablet, making it a unique environment where games can be designed to the specific strengths of the couch-gaming experience. Now whether or not a market for this actually exists will have to be seen, but this is definitely something different and new.

They may be making a market that didn't previously exist, kind of like what Nintendo did with the Wii.

Personally, I think it will exist and I think it will surprise a lot of people. Given what indie and smaller developers have been able to to do on the mobile platforms, and even with the XBoxLive and PSN, there is a considerable market open for them to dominate.

#28 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4704 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

The Ouya is offering developers a completely open platform where they know that the users are going to be playing on a TV with a controller in hand. That's a guarantee that you can't get on any home console

What? I don't understand; home consoles definitely do guarantee the user will be playing on a TV with a controller in hand. I feel like I've misunderstood something here.

#29 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -
#30 Edited by ValiantGrizzly (498 posts) -

A dark part of me hopes this thing is never even produced. Call it Schadenfreude. People backing this just seem like the most gullible crowd on the internet to me.

#31 Posted by StarvingGamer (8135 posts) -
@GunslingerPanda

@StarvingGamer said:

The Ouya is offering developers a completely open platform where they know that the users are going to be playing on a TV with a controller in hand. That's a guarantee that you can't get on any home console

What? I don't understand; home consoles definitely do guarantee the user will be playing on a TV with a controller in hand. I feel like I've misunderstood something here.

The key difference is that Ouya will be completely open. Consoles like the PS3 and 360 have closed systems that are strictly regulated. This is all fine and good if you're a big name developer of AAA titles but for indie devs the miles of red tape can make it impossible to fight their way onto the platforms. Even when they do, it can sometimes be to their detriment as was the case with Fez.
#32 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4704 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

@GunslingerPanda

@StarvingGamer said:

The Ouya is offering developers a completely open platform where they know that the users are going to be playing on a TV with a controller in hand. That's a guarantee that you can't get on any home console

What? I don't understand; home consoles definitely do guarantee the user will be playing on a TV with a controller in hand. I feel like I've misunderstood something here.

The key difference is that Ouya will be completely open. Consoles like the PS3 and 360 have closed systems that are strictly regulated. This is all fine and good if you're a big name developer of AAA titles but for indie devs the miles of red tape can make it impossible to fight their way onto the platforms. Even when they do, it can sometimes be to their detriment as was the case with Fez.

Ah, I get you now. Yeah, I agree. Although I already get that from my trusty PC so I'm not interested in it, it's pretty great for devs and console gamers who want more than whatever advertisers are shoving down their throats.

#33 Posted by Matfei90 (1288 posts) -

Yes it will come out, but it'll be shite.

#34 Edited by Krakn3Dfx (2488 posts) -

I see that the $950k Kickstarter that has raised over $6 million is now trying to milk another $40 or more out of their supporters with a "Limited Edition" Ouya console in a darker color. Instead of actually just making all of the initial run units Limited Edition, someone decided it would be a great idea to try and stick them even more.

This thing has buyer regret and disappointment written all over it. If I ever thought it seemed like a good idea, it couldn't have been more than 5-10 seconds before I sobered up.