Do you think the GB crew will be back this week?

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Before I get chewed up and spit out, I want to be clear that I really don't care if they take more time. Just wondering what you guys thought. I love these guys. I'm not being selfish. I just want to know they are getting into a better place.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By TruthTellah

@vegetashonor: I imagine "back" will mean different things to different people, but if you mean "Will they possibly release some videogame-related videos?" then yes. I believe there is a decent likelihood of that.

Despite this deep loss, they seem interested in getting back to work, and jumping back into it may help everyone cope a bit better with all of this. I imagine this will be a thin week, but even a relatively thin week of Giant Bomb entertainment will be nice after the sadness of last week.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Yes

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't be surprised if they took another week. There's not really anything game related that needs to be talked about or covered. Maybe Brad gets back into DOTA.

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Really really hope so. I feel like this whole week has been too dark, need some giant bomb back in my life.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mrfluke

i think so, but i wont be surprised if they decide to take another week to recoup though,

its definitely the weeks to do so though as there isnt much coming out

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

dunno, my guess is it will be a light week if they do. Not everybody is going to bounce back at the same pace.

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Feanor

My job would be pretty pissed if i took 2 weeks off of work because a friend died.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I don't know. The way Jeff was talking on that podcast made it seem like they wouldn't be back for awhile.

Didn't he say "we'll be back when it makes sense"?

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I hope so, and not because I want videos honestly. When I'm grieving I find it really helps to get back into your regular schedule as soon as possible, once you've allowed yourself a little time to be miserable. Then again, if you lost a coworker that advice might not apply as well.

DougCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By DougCL

i hope its soon. i hope those guys are okay. ive taken Ryan's death harder than the death of anyone i knew in real life, so i cant imagine how they must be doing.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feanor: what does that have to do with anything?

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know. The way Jeff was talking on that podcast made it seem like they wouldn't be back for awhile.

Didn't he say "we'll be back when it makes sense"?

"We'll keep doing what makes sense when we can do it. But until then we're no gonna do it"

So I have a feeling we'll only get incremental releases from them. As a fan this is disappointing, but as an empathetic person I completely understand

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, I do.

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By wmoyer83

The community should step up. Community showcase week!!

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By weegieanawrench

I think that they will, but content will probably be light as it's July, and now it's a 3 man team (I know they can slot Drew or Alexis in QL and/or the Bombcast). At the same time, what @naru_joe93 says holds water, but at the time I understood that to mean fewer episodes of the Bombcast. Whatever the case, I'm quite alright with revisiting old content until the get back on their feet, like the Chrono Trigger ER or the BR DP ER.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that they will, but content will probably be light as it's July, and now it's a 3 man team (I know they can slot Drew or Alexis in QL and/or the Bombcast). At the same time, what @naru_joe93 says holds water, but at the time I understood that to mean fewer episodes of the Bombcast. Whatever the case, I'm quite alright with revisiting old content until the get back on their feet, like the Chrono Trigger ER or the BR DP ER.

This. I re-watched the 2nd and 3rd BLL shows, and have been watching a bunch of old QL's/tnt's I never watched. It's all new to me anyway, since I only became a member in late december 2011 (basically 1 and 1/2 years). I've also pledged to listen to every single bombcast episode as well, from the beginning (I remember the first episode I watched being the one where vinny talks about ham radios for the first time)

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it would be perfectly understandable for them to be light on content for several more weeks, if they wanted to be, honestly.

More than any kind of content, I think what we really need right now is for Jeff to sort of regroup in his mind what he wants Giant Bomb to be going forward. This has been a hellish year so far in terms of the site having a long future ahead of it. The site has lost several major features in the redesign and has been crippled with near-weekly major bugs, Dave left, Patrick moved, and Ryan passed away. The future and just plain stability of this site was a lot clearer a year ago than it is right now, and I think more than anything the community could use right now is a "State of the Bomb" or something. Re-organize, re-prioritize, re-energize, re-kick ass. Just keep the community in the loop.

ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#19  Edited By ADAMWD

Based on their Twitter interactions, it seems like the crew is definitely more upbeat and closer to "normal" than the middle of last week. I'd guess not much during the week still due to it still only being a week and a half since they heard, and we are thick in the wasteland of video games that is the Summer. Podcast and UF would be my guess. Could also be a good time for a Radio Show soon perhaps?

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

I hope Ryan's death doesn't make it too weird for them to keep doing their thing where they are. Every corner of that building must be a memory for them given how many years they have been in there. I'm sure it will be very weird for whomever sits in that chair for the live stuff the first few times. And sitting across from Ryan's empty seat would be a bitch of a constant reminder. Maybe they can do some from home stuff to try and ease back into it.

Whatever happens they are some strong dudes and I'm sure they will find a way to keep going strong. As someone who has lost far too many loved ones to death, no matter how much you love them a point comes when you gotta get on with your life. If you don't there's a very dark hole to fall into that gets harder and harder to get out of. If you let it, it will consume you. I know a few people that have let it happen and it's not pretty.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#21  Edited By Dagbiker

I bet they might be a little lite on the live stuff, but who knows, Also, sorry to whoevers post ( and the mods, who have to check it ) post i just accidentally flagged.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By excast

I think it is going to be hard for awhile. I'm not sure how the site can really function with only 3 main dudes, 2 when you consider Vinny is behind the scenes most of the time. It doesn't help that Patrick left a few weeks ago too. I have to imagine they will eventually try to bring in some new people, but who knows?

I mostly just hope that the pain the guys are experiencing hurts a little less each day and that eventually they can try to get back to doing the things they love. I don't envy the position they are in.

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23  Edited By wmoyer83

It will be ok, there is no need to worry about a time frame

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm guessing it would be light this week but they still have to put out content cause, you know, work.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, maybe not at 100% but they'll do stuff.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By wjb

I imagine there will be some content. They have been at work from the looks of it, so it's not like they literally took the week off.

Definitely a Bombcast; maybe some Quick Looks. It might be a while until things become routine again, but going back to a set schedule helps with the coping process.

Unfortunately, Giant Bomb won't be the same.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably a bombcast, there could be a nuclear apocalypse and they still would record that shit on time.

HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm curious what the tone of the next Bombcast will be, IF they do it next week. Some actual big crazy news came and went in the past week, though it probably all feels really trivial within that office. But the Smash Bros./EVO drama (which I know Jeff watched at least some of), as well as the Microsoft restructuring, is something I'd like to hear their take on. Even if they're not ready to go full speed for a while yet, I would expect more NEW material next week, if only to get back into the swing of things. I know a lot of this week, they were still out of the office which makes things more difficult, but as they spend more and more time at work, eventually I suspect more material will emerge. It just might be at a slower trickle than we're used to, and honestly? It's already the summer anyway.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DystopiaX

@adamwd said:

Based on their Twitter interactions, it seems like the crew is definitely more upbeat and closer to "normal" than the middle of last week. I'd guess not much during the week still due to it still only being a week and a half since they heard, and we are thick in the wasteland of video games that is the Summer. Podcast and UF would be my guess. Could also be a good time for a Radio Show soon perhaps?

Well Brad also looks like he started in on that Grief Beard in that sunburn pic he posted.

I think Bombcast/ILM for sure, maybe a TNT or something who knows. I don't think it'll be as much content as a regular week would have had though.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By JJOR64

They can take as much time as they need. When they are ready to come back, my body will be ready as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they do, I hope it's all off-the-cuff livestreamy stuff. Sitting down and trying to be precise and informative about a game in a quick look doesn't sound like the right thing to do, whereas cracking some beers and playing some vidya games with no such "rigid" structure could be just what we all need.

In any case, I just want them to do what feels right. If they're not feeling putting content out and do it anyways because of any sort of obligation, it would ring hollow, especially right now.

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@excast: I'm sure the gamespot guys wouldn't mind pitching in a bit. They seem like good dudes.

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@castiel: Flagged that dude as well! Thanks!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I imagine that there will be some sort of content this week, but what kind and how much I couldn't begin to say.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

@wmoyer83 said:

The community should step up. Community showcase week!!

yeah itd be cool if we could try filling in for a while

drgrumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe Brad gets back into DOTA.

I hope not.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

I assume they'll be back at work, but I don't expect a lot of content on the site. I'll just leave it at that.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@castiel said:

@feanor said:

My job would be pretty pissed if i took 2 weeks off of work because a friend died.

Flagged for being an asshole.

@excast: I'm sure the gamespot guys wouldn't mind pitching in a bit. They seem like good dudes.

Flagged for the truth. Is this the community now? Ryan wasn't a fucking saint. Is one of the commandments of Giant Bomb to not speak badly of the staff? Worship is always bad in my book. Love yourself first and life will follow.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@claude said:

@castiel said:

@feanor said:

@vegetashonor said:

Flagged for the truth. Is this the community now? Ryan wasn't a fucking saint. Is one of the commandments of Giant Bomb to not speak badly of the staff? Worship is always bad in my book. Love yourself first and life will follow.

Agreed. Claude be dropping the truth bomb in here.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TruthTellah

@claude said:

@castiel said:

@feanor said:

@vegetashonor said:

I don't get the impression Castiel was suggesting that it's wrong to criticize the staff. He was just noting that someone was being kind of an asshole. Ryan wasn't a saint, but he was their friend and a big part of what made the site run. It's reasonable for them to take some time to figure out how to make things work without him. They're both trying to mourn -and- find a way to get back to their job. The least we can do is give them the time they need and be understanding of how crazy all of this is. That isn't worshiping someone. That's being a decent human being with some compassion.

Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they will get back into making content, maybe not much but I think there'll be something. In my experience there is only so long you can sit around grieving and doing nothing before it starts driving you crazy and you have to get things back to as normal a routine as you can. I completely understand if they don't though. Everybody is different and some people need more time to work though this kind of thing than others.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@claude said:

@castiel said:

@feanor said:

@vegetashonor said:

I don't get the impression Castiel was suggesting that it's wrong to criticize the staff. He was just noting that someone was being kind of an asshole. Ryan wasn't a saint, but he was their friend and a big part of what made the site run. It's reasonable for them to take some time to figure out how to make things work without him. They're both trying to mourn -and- find a way to get back to their job. The least we can do is give them the time they need and be understanding of how crazy all of this is. That isn't worshiping someone. That's being a decent human being with some compassion.

You're so right. I reflect upon myself in these situations. This site is not just a job, but a life choice. Ryan was and will always be a part of this site. But my hope is to not discourage a discord that Giant Bomb is bigger than the ones that made it. Never to fade to black.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

@claude said:

@castiel said:

@feanor said:

@vegetashonor said:

He's right though, I doubt any normal job would allow that, I don't see why this should be brought up though, the guys are more or less running their own site/business (no idea of the level of CBSi influence here, I imagine not a lot) and one of the business partners, who happened to be a dear, longtime friend to most of them, just died, they are in a position to take more time off than regular folk, and I'm sure most people would do that if given the chance.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TruthTellah

@claude said:

@truthtellah said:

@claude said:

@castiel said:

@feanor said:

@vegetashonor said:

You're so right. I reflect upon myself in these situations. This site is not just a job, but a life choice. Ryan was and will always be a part of this site. But my hope is to not discourage a discord that Giant Bomb is bigger than the ones that made it. Never to fade to black.

Exactly. I am confident the guys will find a way to move forward with the site, but right now kind of sucks in every way imaginable. It's like a band lost a lead singer; it's both a personal and professional tragedy. It's the biggest loss and arguably biggest change in the site's history. I'm sure they understand that they have a job to do, and Jeff has said they're not going to stop. So, I would be very surprised if things weren't somewhat starting to piece back together this week. Hopefully they will, for the guys and everyone who enjoys this great site they've built.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I could go for making Ryan a saint. Get up in that canonization, dawg.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They'll get back into it. Hopefully they do different content then standard QLs, as someone said a show like that live SNES games show they had a while back would be awesome.

@feanor said:

Ryan wasn't just a "friend". Yeah, if you work in a cubicle and some friend of yours died (that isn't also a coworker) then 2 weeks would be excessive. But Ryan was a big part of the site, and a friend so it's understandable that they aren't back in the groove yet. I'm sure they already had meetings to determine the site's future. They lost Ryan and Patrick, who basically covered 98% of QLs.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could go for making Ryan a saint. Get up in that canonization, dawg.

He's already a Saint. ♥

No Caption Provided

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Fearbeard

Yeah, probably... It's time to move forward.

jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By jgf

@castiel said:

@feanor said:

Thats just how it is. Why would you want to flag someone for that? You're the one thats rude here.