Edited 1 year, 8 months ago

Poll: Do you think video games get a bad rap in the general media? (101 votes)

Yes 83%
No 17%

I was wondering if people still think games get a negative portrayal in the mainstream media. I've not really noticed much negativity lately, but I can never quite forget the Fox news debate on mass effect (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKzF173GqTU) , and it's always my go to whenever I see anything about video games in the news.

Speaking of which, what do you guys think are the most gratuitous misrepresentations of games in the news?

#1 Posted by Pr1mus (3956 posts) -

For what little general media i consume it seems like their coverage of video games is either negative or non-existent. It becomes mildly informative when a new console launches.

#2 Edited by Jams (2966 posts) -

Of course. They've been getting a bad rap since arcades became popular. Video games have been getting blamed by idiot politicians and friends for 30+ years now. It's nothing new.

#3 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

I think so, and especially compared to other forms of media. I'm sure in half a century another scapegoat will appear.

#4 Posted by DarthOrange (3909 posts) -

Nah not really. People with a skin tone that is not white typically have it worse then videogames. Video games at least played an important role in Breaking Bad.

#5 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1925 posts) -

Nah not really. People with a skin tone that is not white typically have it worse then videogames.

I didn't realize that was the comparison that we're making here.

#6 Posted by DanielJW (4915 posts) -
@darthorange said:

Nah not really. People with a skin tone that is not white typically have it worse then videogames.

Video games are the immigrants of the entertainment industry.

#7 Posted by Milkman (17353 posts) -

Definitely but not all of it is undeserved.

#8 Edited by MildMolasses (3229 posts) -

No, but there's a lot of bad rap media being made about video games

#9 Posted by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

Nah not really. People with a skin tone that is not white typically have it worse then videogames. Video games at least played an important role in Breaking Bad.

race card played in 4 replies, stay classy GB!

#10 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Last time I heard about it the NRA was trying to blame video games for the school shooting.

#11 Posted by DarthOrange (3909 posts) -

@danieljw said:
@viking_funeral said:
@darthorange said:

Video games are the immigrants of the entertainment industry.

Fuck, I'm sorry you guys. I wrote that right after waking up. I simply meant that their are bigger issues then video games, I forgot that this is a website about video games. My bad. :P

#12 Posted by DarthOrange (3909 posts) -

@darthorange said:

I represent all of Giant Bomb!?!?!?!?!?

#13 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6173 posts) -

As more money gets poured into Call of Duty et al the less mainstream media will isolate games as a thing, even if it runs counter to the nature of their previous positions (which is only a small section of the media to begin with). If it gets even bigger then it might as well be as popularized as a big movie launch or what have you, but that's kind of unlikely and culture in general still has issues with over-preoccupation with games; a worthy side hobby to be sure but not a solo form of acceptable entertainment.

#14 Edited by gaminghooligan (1483 posts) -

For sure, but it's just because they're the new thing. There was similar discontent when tv was new, before that film, before that the radio, and so on. Recently I've noticed that there is more positive mention. Games like Bioshock Infinite will create discussion outside of the typical media. There was a fantastic NPR spot the other day on the game that my dad heard, so he called me that night and asked about the game. When a fifty year old mechanic knows what a vigor is I can only imagine where games will sit in the public eye say, twenty years from now.

#15 Posted by Digiwth (152 posts) -

Mainstream media is just that-- mainstream. They are populist and want to appeal to their core audience, i.e., old ass people.

#16 Posted by JasonR86 (9729 posts) -

I would guess that the general media doesn't give a fuck about video games. Only clearly bias media, both positive and negative, care to talk about video games and neither offer anything of value. Also the audience for those bias places are just hearing what they assume to be true and no one else takes them seriously. So those bias media outlets can say whatever the fuck they want because they don't matter to anyone except those who are already listening and they have already made up their minds anyway.

#17 Edited by mellotronrules (1257 posts) -

i'm actually voting 'no' with a major caveat: anytime i detect videogames being mischaracterized or misrepresented, i tune out. my brain just turns off and i stop listening to what the talking head is saying. kinda like those who oppose gay marriage. i understand those folks exist, but i can't hear them.

#18 Posted by Veektarius (5035 posts) -

The mainstream media (and by that I mean cable and print news outlet ) doesn't treat video games any worse than it treats blockbuster movies. Their coverage usually amounts to "Oh, look how popular Batman is!" and then they move on. The only difference is that they aren't in the business of reviewing games... but this isn't a result of bias, it's a result of audience. They wouldn't serve their audiences or capture new ones by reviewing games.

Other than the occasional remark on a game's performance/popularity, the only commentary the media provides on games is in editorial form, which is more often negative than positive. I imagine that this is not due to a bias but because controversial material produces clicks.

#19 Edited by Rafaelfc (1472 posts) -

@clonedzero said:

@darthorange said:

Didn't you get the memo?

#20 Edited by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

@mellotronrules said:

i'm actually voting 'no' with a major caveat: anytime i detect videogames being mischaracterized or misrepresented, i tune out. my brain just turns off and i stop listening to what the talking head is saying. kinda like those who oppose gay marriage. i understand those folks exist, but i can't hear them.

I understand what you're saying but that's the wrong stance to take on either issue. It's best to try to level with the opposing side, arguments can lead to the understanding of either party if it's rational. Just tuning someone out is equivalent to letting a spoiled kid go on a tantrum, it's bad parenting.

#21 Edited by zels (207 posts) -

Of course they do. General media is in direct competition with games after all.

#22 Posted by fox01313 (5089 posts) -

Considering they keep trying to blame video games for causing violence, even with all the times of the supreme court & others proving otherwise, yes still bad reputation for video games in the media.

#23 Posted by mellotronrules (1257 posts) -

@mellotronrules said:

I understand what you're saying but that's the wrong stance to take on either issue. It's best to try to level with the opposing side, arguments can lead to the understanding of either party if it's rational. Just tuning someone out is equivalent to letting a spoiled kid go on a tantrum, it's bad parenting.

haha, and now let me flip it on ya - i understand what YOU'RE saying, and i'd always allow someone to say their piece. and i'll always attempt to understand one's opposing perspective- that's where learning and understanding (as well as empathy) come from. but there are certain issues i'm absolutely unwilling to compromise on- gay rights being one of them. i just can't entertain a perspective that says 'this group has special rules due to something they can't control, i.e. sexual preference and gender.' but that's OT. back on OT- of course i'll listen to and engage those that are wrongly critical of games...but when people issue or represent blanket proclamations like "GAMES ARE VIOLENT AND RUINING THE ENTIRETY OF YOUNG PEOPLE" -that says about as much about their willingness to accept other points of view as my own unwillingness to entertain absolutes.

#24 Edited by Chibithor (573 posts) -

Depends on what you mean by general media. I find Finland's media is usually alright about it. Angry Birds probably helps and that we like to consider ourselves tech savvy.

#25 Posted by Benny (1955 posts) -

It gets a terrrible, terrible rap by the media. Playing video games 3 hours a day is seen as some kind of degenerate behaviour yet watching hours and hours of garbage tv is normal.

I can't stand people who will sit and watch soap operas and reality shit for hours and hours a day and then have the nerve to say playing video games is unhealthy.

#26 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5111 posts) -

Of course duh, we are talking about video games.

#27 Edited by ThomasG666 (154 posts) -

It's a bit better now, but they still get a lot of bad rep.

#28 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

@mrsignerman44 said:

@mellotronrules said:

haha, and now let me flip it on ya - i understand what YOU'RE saying, and i'd always allow someone to say their piece. and i'll always attempt to understand one's opposing perspective- that's where learning and understanding (as well as empathy) come from. but there are certain issues i'm absolutely unwilling to compromise on- gay rights being one of them. i just can't entertain a perspective that says 'this group has special rules due to something they can't control, i.e. sexual preference and gender.' but that's OT. back on OT- of course i'll listen to and engage those that are wrongly critical of games...but when people issue or represent blanket proclamations like "GAMES ARE VIOLENT AND RUINING THE ENTIRETY OF YOUNG PEOPLE" -that says about as much about their willingness to accept other points of view as my own unwillingness to entertain absolutes.

Alright, I see what you mean. At some point, there is just no way to change the ideals of someone who is completely unwilling to compromise. I just thought that you were the type of person who doesn't argue and just lets people who can probably be swayed in the right direction go about their merry way.

#29 Edited by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

I don't really pay attention to the mainstream media (and by "don't really," I guess I mean "not at all"), but I can't recall hearing anything negative lately.

#30 Edited by DonutFever (3540 posts) -

If I remember correctly, FOX also said that Bulletstorm causes rape and Flower is eco-friendly indoctrination.

#31 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6403 posts) -

@clonedzero said:

@darthorange said:

You do in this thread! Better act accordingly!

#32 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

I'd say it's even more difficult if your sexual orientation is anything other than straight.

#33 Posted by bgdiner (293 posts) -

It's kind of funny, actually. Even some die-hard politicians are known to play video games, even if they are mobile/casual (this topic is probably talking about core games though). I thought it was kind of ironic/funny how Kevin Spacey's character in House of Cards plays CoD, given that he's a high-ranking politician (a subtle political commentary? Probably not, but hey.)

#34 Posted by Zekhariah (695 posts) -

Games get a bad reputation, but that is pretty much hand in hand with something that is still only a hobby for people when they are younger.