Do You Think You'll Outgrow Video Games?

• 138 results
Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#101  Edited By Jost1
@RTSlord said:
" at some point yes. ill probably just be too busy (wife, job, social life, kids) to play video games, although my kids might get into it and i could play a little with them then. "
too busy to watch a movie? listen to a record? it's the same thing dude.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#102  Edited By JJWeatherman
@Branthog said:
" I won't outgrow videogames any more than I'll outgrow reading. However, what I think about a lot these days is how much longer gaming will be a viable activity for me. As we age, we get slower and our eyesight gets poorer and our minds perform less efficiently. How long until we are physically not able to keep up with the games we want to play? Hell, it's already hard enough to keep up with all the teenagers and 20-somethings in an FPS if they're any good. Not to mention RTSes (Starcraft, etc). How much longer before I have to put down the controller, because I can't see the television, hear the activities, or react quick enough to events? "
My 72 year old grandpa owns almost every Rock Band and Guitar Hero game released. He's not bad at them either. That's gonna be me in 50 years.  :P
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By ryanwho

Its a medium and mediums have genres. I won't outgrow games like I won't outgrow music, unless one day the only kind of music being made is soft country rock and polka. Everyone in the gaming industry would have to collectively agree to avoid the genres I like or execute them terribly for me to quit for any prolonged period of time.

Arestice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#104  Edited By Arestice

I might be busy, but holy crap, I can't wait to play games when I'm 70. By then I'm hoping it's all controlled by thoughts or something like from Gamer or AI. It sucks that by the time you get to that stage in gaming, you're about to die but might as well enjoy it.

theredcoat24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 22

#105  Edited By theredcoat24

I don't think I'll outgrow them, it'll just get to the point where I'm like 70 and I'd rather read a book.

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Damian

I feel like I've outgrown it a couple of times already. But it's always managed to draw me back in with games that blow my mind. So as long as that happens, I'll be pretty into video games.

LordLemmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By LordLemmy

This gen is it for me. If my PS3 breaks and the next-gen is here, I'll just buy another PS3.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#108  Edited By armaan8014
@AlwaysAngry said:
" @christ0phe said:
"Can you see a 70 year old man with Kinect, or playing Wii? "
People have already forgot about oldschool! "
wait a minute... WHERE IS HE?
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By MrKlorox

Maybe. I hope not.

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By nail1080
@Gabriel said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" Yep. I think I'll get to the end of this generation and fizzle out. "
"
gotta love the people with 1000s of posts on a videogame forum lying to themselves
Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#111  Edited By Undeadpool

25 and about to buy a new 360...so no, I doubt I ever will. It's one of those things people say simply because videogames haven't been around long enough as a mainstream thing to "outgrow." I'm sure by the time TV was turning 40, there were still tons of people who thought it was a flash-in-the-pan technological culdesac.

Jais

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Jais

I just wish games would grow up. 

Kibblez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#113  Edited By Kibblez

You're saying 'outgrow' like games are still aimed at kids and tweens. So naw bro.

klaptos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#114  Edited By klaptos

Hahahahaha......no.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#115  Edited By tebbit
@AlwaysAngry said:
" @christ0phe said:
"Can you see a 70 year old man with Kinect, or playing Wii? "
People have already forgot about oldschool! "
Aww come on, he was only 50. 70 is years away yet!
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By HandsomeDead
@nail1080 said:
" @Gabriel said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" Yep. I think I'll get to the end of this generation and fizzle out. "
"
gotta love the people with 1000s of posts on a videogame forum lying to themselves "
Thousands of posts does not correspond to time played/enjoyment derived etc etc.
Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jais said:
" I just wish games would grow up.  "
This. There's been flashes of it, but if games continue to be at the level they are 10, 20, or even 30 years from now then yeah, I could see myself growing out of them.  

However, as long as games like those by Team ICO keep getting made, I'll always be playing somewhat, I'm sure.
SugarRay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#118  Edited By SugarRay

I was thinking about this in the shower for some reason.  Am I still going to be 50 and playing video games?  Is there going to be a time in my life where video games just peter out and I stop playing them altogether. 

I have not read the whole thread I may have missed these details and such, so just responding to the OP. Like,  do not know about your current age and what have/haven't gone through in life yet. But for the question of a time in your life when you just stop really can depend on what you go through on life expierence. For me (29yr old) I stopped playing video games for roughly 3 years after my first child was born in 2003. I came back to games after awhile but yeah, I did stop. 

It's kinda hard picturing us keeping up with emergent technology as we get older, especially as it becomes more advanced. 

I dunno, I think people growing up right now are a lot more tech savy, knowledgeable than I was growing up and people older than me, that it might be easier to keep up with the times.
NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By NathHaw

To the extent my friends did, no.

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#120  Edited By spaceturtle

I actually feel like I'm close to outgrowing games a bit. I still find the concept of creating games interesting so I doubt I'll ever stop reading about games, watching QLs on GB and so forth, but I rarely get to sit down and REALLY enjoy a game. The last game I really enjoyed was Call of Pripyat, in terms of when it was released and so forth. Before that, I guess Uncharted 2. Still, there is very little few games lately that really catches my attention, which is sad. I mean, I'm not even that old for Christ's sake!

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#121  Edited By Seppli

Dude - in 50 years computers might be able to simulate all of existence in perfect fidelity. I'm gonna be high on virtual speedball. Fucking virtual sex slaves. Driving a virtual Ferrari over a fucking cliff. Throwing handgrenukes with my penisfinger hands. Yeah - in that world, every handshake's gonna be a handjob! Fingerlickingly titilating! 

Hell no - nobody will ever outgrow gaming. Gaming will outgrow humanity and put us in the place of gods. This is what we will do with that power! 

Penisfingerhands High Five! 

Avatar image for constable_wiggum
Constable_Wiggum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

I'm going on 35 now.  If I haven't by now, I don't think 15 years will make a difference.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#123  Edited By yukoasho

Yeah, at my age (32), if I was going to outgrow video games, I'd have done it by now.

As long as I can operate a controller, I'll be gaming.

Cortana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Cortana

I don't think you can outgrow games, but I think my tastes will change down the line as I grow older and maybe at some point I may stop because of more urgent matters like having a family but for now no

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#125  Edited By mutha3

I'm a bit too old to outgrow anything.

If the prices get too high, and the industry goes Digital Distribution only, I may stop buying/playing new games,however.

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Black_Raven

Yeah probably, I don't think I'll ever completely not care about video games but I'd say my interest in games peeked around 3 - 4 years ago.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

@akillen said:
" @Bellum: He enjoyed it a lot.  I put in about 5 hours and had to stop because my machine was struggling.  Since then I have put together a new system so I will probably pick it up again soon.   "

That's awesome. I wanna get old and be the cool dad with the geekdom collection.
FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#128  Edited By FacelessVixen

Nope. Never. At least, not any time soon. I love the escapism.

DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#129  Edited By DevWil

maybe when i outgrow reading, listening to music, and watching movies/tv. 

it's just another form of media now.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By artofwar420

Maybe my taste in games will change, as I've noticed it has. But I hope I keep playing long enough to see this budding medium blossom into its own.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Osaladin

I don't think it's so much "outgrowing" them as it is I'll have less and less time for them as I progress into my later years. It's already happening right now when I'm finishing school.

Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#132  Edited By Radar

Thinking you'll "outgrow" gaming is a bad way to put it. Makes it sound like you're going outgrow playing with toys or imaginary friends. It's just an entertainment median. Do you outgrow music or movies? 

My interest in the industry fluctuates, 1-2 years into last generation I dropped all interest in console gaming completely and just played MMOs.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#133  Edited By flaminghobo
@CL60 said:
" I will probably always play games. Maybe not as much as I do these days. But I doubt I will ever just stop. "
Deadpool_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Deadpool_jr

I doubt that I will maybe I will not stop its until im dead. I pron wont have as much time in the future but I will def still be playing them

Dantekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Dantekiller

dude there will always be gameing in your life small or big it everywhere now in days its just less noticeable 

Jais

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Jais
@CrossTheAtlantic said:
" @Jais said:
" I just wish games would grow up.  "
This. There's been flashes of it, but if games continue to be at the level they are 10, 20, or even 30 years from now then yeah, I could see myself growing out of them.   However, as long as games like those by Team ICO keep getting made, I'll always be playing somewhat, I'm sure. "
Team ICO is a beacon of hope in a sea of mediocrity, mindless shooters and showelware. 

I absolutely love videogames, and I think that if a game tells its story correctly, it can be absolutely fantastic and completely different from any other type of media (ala Team ICO's games). 
But I hate how games deal with things like death. Take Uncharted 2 as an example; It's a game that is praised for its likeable and funny characters, but I hate Nathan Drake. And I think he is pretty insane considering how many people he kills and how he is just able to laugh it off. 
A lot of independent developers seem to understand this, and a few larger teams (again, Team ICO) as well.  

Also, I really dislike how a 7 hour game is considered "short". Of course this has something to with the amount of cash you paid for it, since 60$ for only a couple of hours is of course very expensive. I want games to be shorter; 2-4 hours of gameplay. This will...--- 

Fuck it. I should write a blog about this shit.
Bluethunder35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Bluethunder35

Video games will always be a part of my life. I'll never quit in regards to solo gaming or gaming with others in the same room. Online gaming, however, will never be something I will care for going forward. I'm too old for the Internet and ergo, too old for the audience that embraces online gaming.  So, me, I'll never outgrow gaming. Hell, I'm not even done discovering everything that has been released in the last 40 years.

cowbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By cowbs

The more I play the more I find the only thing I outgrow is my tolerance for bad game design.