#1 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

Here is an example.

I've been playing Far Cry 3 for a while now, spent 20 hours in that game. I beat it yesterday and am happy to leave it. I am now free to play the Borderlands Tourge DLC, I haven't touched Borderlands 2 since October. Not only did I find it hard to control at first, but I kept trying to stealth kill a guy from behind and even tried to loot some people before I realised "Oh right"

Does anybody else do this?

#2 Posted by SSully (4117 posts) -

Around when I was playing borderlands 2 I was watching my brother play Skyrim one night. He left to answer a phone call and I took over. First thing I did was jump off a cliff because I found it to be the fastest route(since that is how I travel in borderlands 2). Well Skyrim has fall damage, unlike borderlands, so I died.

#3 Edited by AjayRaz (12416 posts) -

i don't know if this counts, but during my time with Ninja Gaiden 3, i was constantly holding down the Y button to charge up attacks like in the previous games, but always forgot that they removed proper Ultimate Techniques from the game.

#4 Posted by Icemael (6305 posts) -

I played Far Cry 3 right after finishing Dishonored and instinctively tried to climb buildings by pressing A.

#5 Posted by jsnyder82 (725 posts) -

I always think that in first person games, you can run and jump at the same time. But apparently that is not always the case.

#6 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2205 posts) -

Playing the original Fallout after playing Fallout 3 and asking myself "where's the VATS button?".

#7 Posted by Flappy (2106 posts) -

After going back to Jet Grind Radio on the VITA, I was thoroughly disappointed by the lack of...freedom? I dunno, but I think it is impossible to go backwards from Jet Set Radio Future and enjoy yourself.

#8 Posted by xpogox (48 posts) -

I remember when I first logged onto FINAL FANTASY XI I tried to jump.....eeeeesh.

#9 Posted by UitDeToekomst (698 posts) -

Yeah. It happens to me quite a bit because I missed a number of years worth of video games (roughly 2006-2009) when I did not have a console, and went back and played a lot of stuff that came out in that time period after playing lots of other games (sometimes sequels to prior games) from 2010, 2011.

#10 Posted by Burrich (7 posts) -

Well if we pretend that real life is a game, once when I was in secondary school (kinda like Highschool) I'd been playing lots of Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. A guy got hurt playing football and I tried to press L1 and rewind time... was weird...

#11 Posted by Pr1mus (3771 posts) -

I keep entering cars from the left side in Sleeping Dogs. 20 hours in i got used to driving on the right side of the road but never to the driver's side being the right side too.

#12 Posted by Vitor (2809 posts) -

@Icemael said:

I played Far Cry 3 right after finishing Dishonored and instinctively tried to climb buildings by pressing A.

That's not your fault, it's just the one system missing from FC3 that acts as a severe blemish on the game. I ALWAYS want to get my death from above on, but that's just not possible unless a hut has a ladder/conveniently placed tangle of rope....

#13 Posted by captain_clayman (3318 posts) -

@Cold_Wolven said:

Playing the original Fallout after playing Fallout 3 and asking myself "where's the VATS button?".

I thought fallout 1 has VATS in it, at least some version of it.

#14 Posted by Barrabas (325 posts) -

This only really happens to me when I'm switching between fighting games from the same series. For example, I remember when SFIV first came out I was going between it and SF2: HDR a lot. I could not stop myself from trying to dash and command throw in SF2.

#15 Posted by razkazz (169 posts) -

For a short time after Brink I caught myself trying to slide everywhere and climb every surface in other fps'. Regardless of your feelings on the game, that was a solid and brilliantly simple mechanic. It's amazing how naturally it worked in a competitive shooter.

#16 Edited by pyromagnestir (4190 posts) -

When playing 2 games that are simila, but different in a key way, in close progression then sure.

I played a bunch of old Tony Hawk games fairly recently and then tried to play some Aggressive Inline. That game has a trick system that's quite similar, but just different enough that I kept fucking up combos and stuff.

#17 Posted by Demoskinos (14510 posts) -

@AjayRaz said:

i don't know if this counts, but during my time with Ninja Gaiden 3, i was constantly holding down the Y button to charge up attacks like in the previous games, but always forgot that they removed proper Ultimate Techniques from the game.

Ugh. Don't forget the wall moves too... Well...technically... wall moves are still there but they are fucking ineffective as shit.

#18 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

@AjayRaz said:

Yeah, that game was a stickler for me too. One time I kept trying to have fun, but they'd completely removed that feature too. Really weirded me out.

Booooooooom.

#19 Posted by cruxking (204 posts) -

any time i play any price of persia game i try to rewind every other game. it almost never works.

#20 Posted by ajamafalous (11793 posts) -
@pyromagnestir said:

When playing 2 games that are simila, but different in a key way, in close progression then sure.

#21 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

@captain_clayman said:

@Cold_Wolven said:

I thought fallout 1 has VATS in it, at least some version of it.

It's technically nothing but "VATS".

#22 Posted by FrankieSpankie (228 posts) -

I often get stuck trying to jump to platforms that I shouldn't be able to reach and then fall in a crevice or something and can't get out of it. It drives me nuts because it seems like you could do that a lot in older games but you can't really do it at all in newer games.

#23 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Any time I encounter a text parser, it gets XYZZY and PLUGH'd.

EAT SELF is also a fun one.

#24 Posted by TyCobb (1944 posts) -

In Borderlands I am always trying to actually shoot some sort of object off a table. Damn Elder Scrolls and Max Payne ruined me with in world objects. I can't play a game without trying to shoot or hit stuff and Borderlands has always made me sad. 200 hours in the first one and I still try to do from time to time.

#25 Edited by Flacracker (1571 posts) -

@Cold_Wolven said:

Oh golly... Not only does Fallout 1/2 have VATS, it has a much better version of it.