• 65 results
Posted by l4wd0g (1891 posts) 1 year, 4 months ago

Poll: Do you use the 3D on your 3DS (170 votes)

Yes 27%
No 27%
Sometimes 35%
It has 3D? 11%

I don't have many 3DS games, but I find I never use it. In fact, I honestly forgot it has it.

#1 Posted by MonetaryDread (1987 posts) -

Yup. I'm lucky enough that 3D has no ill-effects for me. So when a game has 3D I am all over it.

#2 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5796 posts) -

I like using it during the cutscenes in Fire Emblem because it makes them look cool.

I haven't really played any games that take advantage of the 3D effect yet though. I'll probably try it out when I get around to playing Super Mario 3D Land.

#3 Posted by rpwll (63 posts) -

I'll usually have it on, but sometimes when I'm on a bus or train where it's a little harder to hold the system still, I'll turn it off. I don't think it's really a big enough deal to name the system after, but it definitely adds something to games that embrace it.

#4 Edited by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

I can't see in 3d.

#5 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

Yeah. Though the only game with great 3d support I own is 3D Land, and that just happens to be the game that is unquestionably better with 3D on. Especially if you press the down button to toggle it to stretch INTO the screen. But the Fire Emblem demo cutscenes looked great in 3D. When I bought this glorious device I didn't think I would ever use the 3D. Thanks for proving me wrong, Nintendo. 3D.

#6 Posted by Video_Game_King (35793 posts) -

Why would I? I'm playing 999.

#7 Posted by _Chad (961 posts) -

I did when I first bought it, but not anymore.

#8 Posted by iceman228433 (572 posts) -

I am playing Fire Emblem right now and no I don't use 3d it is just kind of annoying to me.

#9 Posted by Ben_H (3291 posts) -

Nope, gives me headaches and doesn't work very well when I do use. I tried to use it for Super Mario 3D Land but it ended up bugging me more than anything.

#10 Posted by Cerevisiae (75 posts) -

Nope. It doesn't make me feel ill or anything, I just don't really care for the effect. Sometimes I'll be like, "I wonder what this looks like with the 3D on...". Then I'll switch it on and realize it looks the same, just shittier. So I turn it back off.

I hear Super Mario 3D Land uses the effect better, so maybe I'll try it out more when I get around to that game.

#11 Posted by Nev (539 posts) -

I don't, no. The few times I've turned it on, the screen just looks like a blurry mess that quickly makes my eyes and head hurt.

#12 Posted by ManMadeGod (1552 posts) -

Never, it hurts my eyes and never seems to work.

#13 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (954 posts) -

I think I used it once in Crashmo but that was about it. Sometimes I'll turn it on once when first playing a game before saying "thats cool" and turning it off.

#14 Posted by RE_Player1 (7544 posts) -

It depends on the game.

#15 Edited by JonathanAshleyMoore (281 posts) -

If I'm playing Super Mario 3D Land, Yes. If any of my other games, not really.

#16 Edited by Yadilie (380 posts) -

I can't see it. It's off by default. Also games don't need 3D. Why waste battery on a device that has an utter shit battery?

#17 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1230 posts) -

Usually for like one minute to see what it looks like but I just turn it off and keep it off.

#18 Posted by Zebracal (74 posts) -

Yes I use them from time to time. I must use the feature since I bought the system.

#19 Posted by Ezakael (909 posts) -

No not really. I don't like the 3D effect all that much and it hurts my eyes after a while.

#20 Edited by FinnianWhitefir (14 posts) -

I thought it added a lot in Ghost Recon and I liked it. Then I played a bunch of DS games and forgot about it. I was 4 battles into Fire Emblem before I went "Oh, yeah, it's has 3D, I wonder how that is".

#21 Edited by mcmax3000 (268 posts) -

I use it on, and off, depending on the setting I'm in, and whether I'm in the mood for it. There's no real rhyme, or reason for when I turn it on, or off.

#22 Posted by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

It tends to bug me after a while, but lately I've been watching the Fire Emblem cutscenes with the 3D on.

#23 Posted by DarthOrange (3803 posts) -

No, I prefer having a longer battery life.

#24 Posted by Slaegar (684 posts) -

I leave the 3D cracked all the way up for just about everything. I quite like it. I think it makes things look better and can be quite helpful in Pushmo.

I wonder why some people say they can't see the 3D. Do they only have one eye? I suppose they couldn't see 3D in real life either and probably walk into a lot of things. That must stink.

#25 Posted by Neonie (413 posts) -

I turn it on for a few seconds when I get a new game, loose my orientation in the midst of moving it around trying to find a comfortable position to play it in, then turn it off.

#26 Posted by MarximusPrime (33 posts) -

No, I basically treat my 3DS like a more powerful DS

#27 Posted by C2C (855 posts) -

Yes. I usually only turn it off if there is direct sunlight that makes the 3D get in the way of actually playing the game. Otherwise I leave it on all the time.

#28 Edited by ripelivejam (3454 posts) -

use it all the time, doesn't have any ill effects except occasional motion sickness on moving bus and a bit of annoyance when it shifts out of alignment (not that often), dig the effect.

it's definitely not a replacement for good games but thankfully 3DS has a solid amount of those too.

SM3DL 3D is, frankly, sublime. :)

e: one of the many ways i'm an abnormal disgusting communazi freak i suppose in that i like it and it doesn't adversely affect me *shrugs*

#29 Posted by MikkaQ (10261 posts) -

No I don't like the effect, I think it's cheesy. Also I'm too busy playing Pokemon on my DSi XL because DS games look like shit on the 3DS. I feel bad for my abandoned 3DS, I even play my Vita more thanks to Persona 4.

#30 Edited by RioStarwind (477 posts) -

I use it for a few minutes whenever it seems worthwhile. Most games don't really use the 3d to add something more to the gameplay so I mainly have it off.

#31 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1499 posts) -

I’m kind of blown away by how few people use it. The only 3DS games I’ve played are Ocarina of Time, Pushmo, Mario Kart, and NSMB2, and of those, the only time I’ve had trouble with the 3D effect was Ocarina of Time. Maybe other games didn’t implement it well?

#32 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

I like using it during the cutscenes in Fire Emblem because it makes them look cool.

I haven't really played any games that take advantage of the 3D effect yet though. I'll probably try it out when I get around to playing Super Mario 3D Land.

I didn't even think to use it during the cutscenes, but I should remember that for next time.

I never really use it, but also the only 3DS game I have is Fire Emblem which doesn't utilize the 3D factor too much...so, yeah.

#33 Posted by JoeyRavn (4945 posts) -

Sometimes. I recently went back to Pushmo and found that the 3D effect is really sweet in that game. I crank it up to the MAX.

#34 Posted by BeachThunder (11634 posts) -

Chances are, if I turn it on, I turn it on by accident...

#35 Edited by Cold_Wolven (2205 posts) -

Yeah I try to use it especially if it actually comes in handy for games like Super Mario 3D Land but I have the slider down half way because my eyes can't handle maximum.

#36 Posted by TooSweet (372 posts) -

I use it on occasion. Especially on Fire Emblem. But I only slightly put it up. So the 3D effect is there but I don't have to mess with my eyes to see it. It works really well.

#37 Posted by Wraith1 (554 posts) -

sometimes, depends on the game

#38 Posted by straysheep (2 posts) -

Rarely, it hurts my eyes most of the time. Hopefully it's decent in New Leaf since I plan to surrender myself to that game for months on end.

#39 Edited by Hunter5024 (5505 posts) -

The battery life is disappointing enough as it is. Normally I turn it on for like 2 minutes whenever I get a new game, then never turn it on again, but I didn't even do that for Fire Emblem.

#40 Posted by bobafettjm (1386 posts) -

I rarely use it. I seem to try it out when I first play a game, then end up turning it off.

#41 Posted by kdavey2004 (6 posts) -

It's usually off.

I'm playing Tales of the Abyss at the moment and it looks utterly abysmal with the 3D on, it's like I've rubbed Vaseline on my eyeballs. I left it on most of the time while playing Super Mario 3D Land, mainly because I'd heard so much about how great the effect is for that game, and honestly I was left underwhelmed. It wasn't awful or anything and it was certainly just as playable as if I'd turned it off but it didn't really add anything, and that's crucial when you're selling a console on it.

The only game I've ever really enjoyed using the 3D on is Pullblox (Pushmo to most of you lot), it feels like the game was designed with "let's make a puzzle game that works better with the 3D effect" rather than stuff like Mario which is more like "let's make another Mario game and I guess it should look good with the 3D effect".

Ultimately it's all fairly minor. The 3DS is still a fantastic console, I just wish they hadn't named it after a near-pointless gimmick.

#42 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

Depends on the game, Mario 3D Land is the only one where it actually enhanced the experience for me though.

#43 Posted by GunstarRed (4992 posts) -

I do for most games. If I was playing something multiplayer online I'd switch it off though.

I think it makes a bunch of games look better.

#44 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

I don't use the 2D or the 3D on my 3DS.

#45 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

I sometimes put it on to see how certain effects or environments look, but it hurts my eyes and gives me a headache after a prolonged period of time, so I generally don't use it.

#46 Posted by Hector (3352 posts) -

Usually one I first get a game I play it on 3D for a few days then I play completely with it turned off.

#47 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -

I'm still kind of new to it, and it's initially unpleasant. So I'm trying to force it, using it even on menus and such. To train myself to hold it right and get used to it.

#48 Posted by Bollard (5199 posts) -

Doesn't give me a headache, and I think it looks pretty cool.

#49 Posted by Pabba (306 posts) -

Very rarely! I generally flip it on once or twice during a game to see how it looks, but I can't really have it on while playing. The one case where it actually was beneficial was during Paper Mario: Sticker Star, but other than that I move my head/hands too much to keep the 3D reliably working. Oh well. Was just a gimmick, anyways.

#50 Edited by Flappy (2109 posts) -

No, I basically treat my 3DS like a more powerful DS

I'm surprised that this isn't the case for everyone. For a system with crappy battery life, every little thing helps.