• 50 results
Posted by TekZero (2686 posts) 1 year, 8 months ago

Poll: Do you want the option to rate quick looks? (180 votes)

Yes - I want to rate and search quick looks based on community ratings 30%
No - Don't change a thing. 70%

Some of the best quick looks are for games I would never even consider playing. I usually come across them by accident or reading about it in some random thread.

Personally, one of my favorite quick looks is for Star Trek Online. I'd give that one the highest rating I could.

Would you want to be able to rate and search quick looks based on rating? It would be an easy way to find what the GB community considers to be the best quick looks. Especially if it's a unpopular or unknown game such as Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav. These gems of quicklooks often get buried under new content and many people could miss out on some comedy gold. Searching for the top rated quick looks could solve that issue.

#1 Edited by JacDG (2128 posts) -

In a perfect world, yes, but it would probably just come down to people giving Patrick quick looks unreasonably high or low scores, because, internet.

#2 Posted by chilibean_3 (1679 posts) -

ARGH THEY ARE BAD AT GAME ZERO STARS WHY DON'T THEY LIKE GAME I LIKE ZERO POINT FIVE STARS I DON'T LIKE THAT GUY FOR SOME REASON NEGATIVE THREE STARS

#3 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19377 posts) -

Star Trek Online wasn't a Quick Look.

And my impulse says I wouldn't want that, but if it would be combined with search integration maybe I would. I don't think this would help lesser known game QLs gain recognition, though. The more popular games would naturally get more votes and get higher ratings and awesome Quick Looks like Ravaged would still remain unpopular.

#4 Edited by TekZero (2686 posts) -

@fluxwavez said:

And my impulse says I wouldn't want that, but if it would be combined with search integration maybe I would.

Yeah, I just noticed that. Oops. Can't seem to edit it either.

#5 Edited by MikeJFlick (443 posts) -

I'd like it, but I don't see GB going ahead with it, I wish youtube still had it, allowing you to see how a video is rated before clicking on the damn thing....

#6 Posted by Nictel (2430 posts) -

No, if only to avoid all the "Why is this QL rated X stars?!!" comments

#7 Posted by Pr1mus (3959 posts) -

That would undoubtedly be abused for stupid reasons like Patrick is in it or Brad suck at video games but i'd still like it.

#8 Posted by Yummylee (22297 posts) -
@jacdg said:

In a perfect world, yes, but it would probably just come down to people giving Patrick quick looks unreasonably high or low scores, because, internet.

Yeah, and that would hypothetically mean people may miss out on the fantastic Deus Ex quick look throwback lead by Patrick when scouring for great quick looks. Funny stuff in there, and it's one of the few times where you've got Patrick dicking around in a video game he loves rather than being so overly-analytical about everything. Having Vindave along helped, too. But yeah, after watching it again recently, I would strongly advise everyone else does so too!

#9 Posted by Petiew (1355 posts) -

I think it would be helpful. I rarely watch QLs now so it'd be helpful to see which ones were the best and worth the time. But like most have said it wouldn't work. Either you'd have people voting it down because they didn't like certain members, or people voting 5 stars for everything because they think all GB content is perfect.

#10 Posted by mtcantor (948 posts) -

How about just being able to "favorite" the video or not, and then be able to sort by # of favorites.

That way there isn't the downvote bullshit.

#11 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19377 posts) -

@mtcantor said:

How about just being able to "favorite" the video or not, and then be able to sort by # of favorites.

That sounds like a better idea.

#12 Edited by Sanity (1950 posts) -

Hell no... you would have the Patrick haters down voting every video hes in... Leave it like it is.

#14 Edited by AlisterCat (5712 posts) -

Social media has created an environment where people believe that what they think should be important or deserves to reflect in the output. If you really feel something strong enough to form an opinion worth sharing, write about it.

#15 Edited by Yummylee (22297 posts) -

@mtcantor said:

Yeah, that'd be great actually. I mean I could already just make a list containing the game pages that feature my favourite quick looks, but having a feature specifically designed so you can bundle up your favourites bits of video content would be grand.

#16 Edited by TekZero (2686 posts) -

As usual, I totally overestimated the integrity of the internet. I didn't think that some people would rate down a video simply because Brad dies a bunch, or out of Kessler hate. Making something a favorite would be a nice work around.

#17 Posted by laserbolts (5352 posts) -

Id rather be able to filter it by which staff members are in it. Then I can avoid quick looks without Vinny or quick looks with Patrick. That would be an awesome thing to add.

#18 Posted by MentalDisruption (1664 posts) -

@mtcantor said:

I like the sound of this much more than an upvote downvote system.

#19 Edited by mrfluke (5317 posts) -

nah no rating scale, that would easily get abused,

i think the ability to create a custom playlist of our favorite stuff would be ideal.

#20 Posted by SlashDance (1841 posts) -

The Internet isn't ready.

#21 Edited by mrfluke (5317 posts) -
#22 Posted by TheHT (11683 posts) -

Nah. No rating, no thumbs, no likes, none of that nonsense.

#23 Posted by Morningstar (2232 posts) -

No, I do not. What a silly thing.

#24 Posted by DarthOrange (3878 posts) -

No because assholes on the internet.

#25 Posted by VilhelmNielsen (1740 posts) -

They have (or at least used to have) statistics on how many watches their videos, and when people tune out. Now, if only I didn't use the Youtube player, they'd know what I like...

#26 Posted by Subjugation (4734 posts) -
@mtcantor said:

#27 Posted by laserbolts (5352 posts) -
#28 Edited by BeachThunder (12303 posts) -

@mtcantor said:

#29 Posted by LikeaSsur (1583 posts) -

No standards of what makes a Quick Look "good," no plan of preventing abuse, no real endgame goal.

Rating Quick Looks is an unnecessary as up or down-voting posts.

#30 Posted by flasaltine (1695 posts) -

"32 people didn't get beamed up!"

#31 Edited by DaMisterChief (628 posts) -

Sure

#32 Edited by TekZero (2686 posts) -

No standards of what makes a Quick Look "good," no plan of preventing abuse, no real endgame goal.

Rating Quick Looks is an unnecessary as up or down-voting posts.

The endgame would be to uncover some previously hidden gems. There are some hilarious quicklooks from years ago that I'm still finding today. We need to find an easier way to give those videos some attention so everyone can see it.

#33 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

No offense everyone, but I don't give a fuck what you all think about quick looks. I can decide which ones to watch on my own.

#34 Posted by Nictel (2430 posts) -

Actually, only if I can rate the raters

#35 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

+1 rep

#36 Posted by mellotronrules (1231 posts) -

@kerned said:

No offense everyone, but I don't give a fuck what you all think about quick looks. I can decide which ones to watch on my own.

^what this guy said. 'scoring' quick looks is a terrible idea. it would be abused, and i think it would have zero material value.

#37 Posted by JasonR86 (9763 posts) -

No. It'll just lead to a bunch of people rating up videos with Vinny and Dow videos with Patrick over and over again.

#38 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@tekzero said:

@fluxwavez said:

And my impulse says I wouldn't want that, but if it would be combined with search integration maybe I would.

Yeah, I just noticed that. Oops. Can't seem to edit it either.

That's right it was an Endurance Run.

#39 Posted by Quarters (1816 posts) -

@yummylee said:
@fluxwavez said:

@mtcantor said:

Yeah, that'd be great actually. I mean I could already just make a list containing the game pages that feature my favourite quick looks, but having a feature specifically designed so you can bundle up your favourites bits of video content would be grand.

I agree as well. That's a much better idea.

The idea of voting or downvoting is way too dark of a road to go down.

#40 Edited by pyromagnestir (4337 posts) -

There should only be 2 rating options. Vinny! or no Vinny.

Vinny.

#41 Posted by FesteringNeon (2165 posts) -

I think they should just have a "fuck" meter. (example: 3 fucks given in this video) or (0 fucks given in this video)

#42 Edited by EarlessShrimp (1670 posts) -

To the favoriter, we should just make a not-instant queue!

#43 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2287 posts) -

Sure it would be interesting to see what Quick Looks everybody likes to watch the most, my favorites include Rogue Warrior and Duke Nukem Forever.

#44 Posted by skelington_ (292 posts) -

@yummylee said:
@fluxwavez said:

@mtcantor said:

Way, way better idea. Certainly more hater-proof than a rating system.

#45 Edited by ShadowConqueror (3082 posts) -

The poll needs a middle option. I don't want quick look ratings, but I wouldn't be opposed to them.

#46 Posted by Nilazz (630 posts) -

They would all be rated A for Awesome.

#47 Edited by ReCkLeSs_X (461 posts) -

Maybe a "hit" indicator instead? I'd love to see which are the most popular quite honestly.

I also REALLY like the "favorite" idea. Seems like it strikes the same chord without any negativity.

#48 Edited by mtcantor (948 posts) -

I would really like the ability to favorite certain quicklooks and then come back to them in my own custom playlist.

Could work on multiple levels.

Plus I know I would be interested to sort quicklooks by favorites and see what you antisocial fuckers picked as the best of the best. Could be useful info for advertisers and publishers too, not to mention useful for the site to drive clicks towards older videos.

In short, please do this. Thank you very much.

#49 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5077 posts) -

@skelington_ said:

@yummylee said:
@fluxwavez said:

@mtcantor said:

Way, way better idea. Certainly more hater-proof than a rating system.

I'm with this idea too and I like the sentiment behind all of this. I mean, how many newcomers know about the Story Hour: Adventures Quick Look or the Noby Noby Boy Quick Look for example.

#50 Posted by Winternet (8035 posts) -

Yeah, but then you face the situation of people upvoting Vinny QLs and downvoting Patrick QLs just because it's Vinny and Patrick and not because of the quality of said Quick-Look.