Do you watch Let's play/ Game commentary ?

• 98 results
Shotgunblast97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Shotgunblast97

I'm just wondering what your opinion is on them. I personally think that they can be interesting if it have a commentator who you enjoy. Right now I am watching a lot of a YouTube commentator called quill18. So what your opinon on commentators and what one do you listen to.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Fredchuckdave

This: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL845B60D60A411471&feature=plcp Is basically as good as anything on television.

Now there's not really anything else I can think of coming close though; Something Awful LPs were superior for a long time but now its sort of becoming a wash. Don't get me wrong there's still terrible LPers on youtube, and terrible popular LPers at that; but there's certainly quite a few non SA LPers of note. Presently I watch this guy fail at everything:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Northernlion

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#3  Edited By pyromagnestir

I generally don't, outside of the GB stuff that is, but I'm tempted to find a Let's Play of Resonance of Fate, because that game seems weird and I've come to terms with the fact that I'll never play it myself. If anyone knows a good one for that game, let me know.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mike

Never - the closest I'll come to any of that is watching Giant Bomb content. I have no interest in watching wannabe video game journalists play and/or talk about games.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Zella

Recently started, only really like the Roosterteeth Let's Plays and Two Best Friends Play though.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By thebunnyhunter

I will repeat what was posted in a similar thread mere days ago that changed everything

GameGrumps

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Funkydupe

A started watching games on YouTube a while ago and I enjoy it, especially for linear games.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Phatmac

I do. Have for about 4 years now. I love it and am currently doing LP's.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I enjoy the Yogscast Minecraft content a lot but that's about it.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By CaLe

If I want to see gameplay for a certain game I'll type the name and 'let's play' after it. I don't actively follow any people who do it though. They usually aren't very interesting to listen to. Well I shouldn't say they aren't interesting. It's more accurate to say that I find the silence of my loneliness more interesting.

kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By kalmis

If I did that I wouldn't have time do any gaming myself.

Paulus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Paulus

Quill18 is neat. I do on occasion but mostly non linear games or games that don't really have much of a story. Which is why I like quill18's stuff, he does stuff like civ, tropico, and other grand strategy/management games.

Also watched some 2player stuff on urealms.com , they tend to have some good banter.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jack268

Only if it's someone who's actually good at the game in question and does something interesting with it, like a speedrunner or Nanosuitninja.

DrFlapjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DrFlapjack

I'm into Northernlion's Binding of Isaac LP while I play Isaac at the same time. He never shuts up so I never get too lonely while trying to murder Blue Baby. Or I watch it when I really want to play Isaac myself, but am too tired for the intensity.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

No. The name alone pisses me off for some reason.

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By justicejanitor

The most Let's Play-ish I watch is Game Grumps. Those guys are hilarious.

I also find Maxmillian's stuff pretty good. He usually does Fighting game related stuff, like tutorials and online games with commentary. He sometimes does Let's Play of fighting game story modes. He's currently doing Dead or Alive 5 and it's awesome.

I also used to watch Spoony's Let's Plays of old FMV games. Check them out. If you liked Vinny and Dave's "Random PC Game" run of Phantasmagoria, check out Spoony's run of Phantasmagoria 2. The Ripper is also worth checking out.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MiniPato

Yup, especially scary games. It's fun to watch people scream.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Azteck

Chip & Ironicus are the best LP duo out there if you ask me.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#19  Edited By Sin4profit
laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By laserbolts

All I watch is giantbomb and yogscast videos. Oh and husky from Starcraft 2.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Absolutly not. I'd much rather play through a game for myself. Te closest I come is watching quick looks, even still when it is a game I want to play i'll often only watch part of it.

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By icicle7x3

Retsupurae is all I need.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By cornbredx

Spoony used to do great LPs. Shame he doesn't anymore. 

Giantbomb 

That's about it. Most LPers suck. If it's not funny- don't talk, and then the only reason I'll look for it is a walk through like solution. But no mainly I don't watch LPs as, again, most are awful and not funny.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I like them. They live and die by the quality of the commentators, though.

ashogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ashogo

I've been watching a few of The Walking Dead recently, because it's interesting to see other people's reactions to the crazy shit, and how their choices and the rationalizations behind them contrast with mine.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By casper_

the only ones i've watched a lot of were kikoskia and the slowbeef/diabetus.

Dixego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Dixego

I watch hours upon hours of Let's plays every day. I'm not even kidding, I'm serious.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BraveToaster

I find the YogCast crew to be entertaining.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I occasionally watch bits and pieces, just to get a better idea of a game I might be interested in that isn't covered on the site.

Bumpton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bumpton

Do endurance runs count...?

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By Ben_H

Only GB and the LAGtv guys MaximusBlack and Novawar. Gotta support my fellow Canadians. Plus MaximusBlack is a decent SC2 player so I watch his stream for that too.

izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By izzygraze

I do watch a lot of Let's Plays but have recently been getting a bit bored of then since that's most of what I've been watching for a bit now.

I still enjoy the GeekandSundry channel. They do some let's plays of dating games on their Tuesday Night Hangouts. They also play tabletop games.

I watch some Eatmydiction and GassyMexican for some stupid stuff. It's less let's plays and more clips of random multiplayers gameplay sessions. Such as Trouble in Terrorist Town.

H.A.T films has some funny Let's play sessions. It's a group of them that play through multiplayer games

Jesse Cox is the only one I really watch now that follows the traditional Let's Play format.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@CornBREDX: http://tippingforties.com/Videos.aspx?key=476 G COMBO!

Jnal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jnal

I watch Jesse Cox AKA OMFGcata the most. He always seems happy while playing and finds stuff to joke about within the game all the time. His laugh is quite infectious as well.

@CornBREDX: I used to watch Spoony as well. His Phantasmagoria lets play was really good. I really got into the SWAT 4 videos. He has apparently gone through quite a rough patch recently involving his brother so he is more spotty on his videos.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#35  Edited By egg

I don't and I would have never imagined them taking off like they have. The idea of watching someone play, and talk the entire time they are playing, to me is exactly as unappealing as it sounds. That said, normal playthrough vids (where the player doesn't talk, such as direct feeds of the game only) can serve more uses than a Let's Play. Not to say LPs can't be funny/entertaining, but even when they are the appeal is very narrow, it's "watch person x say funny things" and less to do with the game being played.

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By myniceicelife

i've recently started watching RoosterTeeth's Let's Play and other content (Minecraft and Worm's videos are great). Don't like any of the other stuff.

thefaulconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By thefaulconer

I not only have fun playing video games, I also have just as much fun watching people have fun playing video games. Been that way since I first watched my father play Resident Evil or Earthbound deep into Saturday nights as a kid.

So yes, I watch them. They're kinda like music though, you'll get a good handle on which ones are popular just by keeping your ear to the ground. But in order to find the best you're gonna have to sift through quite a lot of "shit".

It's worth it.

Unless you can't gain enjoyment vicariously. Captain Grumpy Pants.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#38  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Sometimes, especially for games I'm on the fence about. I like Andaley's videos in particular. I'll avoid them like the plague if the commentator tries to crack stupid jokes too often (which is pretty much 90% of them) or sounds like he or she is just a kid.

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By thedj93

sure i do

NyxFe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By NyxFe

Usually my patience for watching people play games is pretty low, but I am a fan of DeceasedCrab. He brings a good amount of humour, and chooses interesting games. Northernlion as mentioned earlier is also not bad.

Avatar image for a_talking_donkey
A_Talking_Donkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By A_Talking_Donkey

Not unless there is something compelling about the play through itself. If someone is giving commentary while trying to achieve a world record and is good enough to have a shot at it, I'd watch. If it's some random guy playing a game and commenting on it, probably not.

Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Master_Funk

I have tried , but none of the players even approach the humor and personality of the GB crew. Guess I've just been spoiled by the ERs .

Edit: I loved the fear gauntlet ER of condemned by Kessler and Steve. I would love if Matt did some more LP's since I do find him very funny most of the time.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Turambar

@MB said:

Never - the closest I'll come to any of that is watching Giant Bomb content. I have no interest in watching wannabe video game journalists play and/or talk about games.

Even if a person that really likes a game will probably know more about said game than any game journalist whose profession does not allow him to spend all his time on just one?

I personally watch them, though only if it's a) Funny, or b) done by someone very experienced with said game.

Freqtal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#44  Edited By Freqtal

@Azteck said:

Chip & Ironicus are the best LP duo out there if you ask me.

This man speaks the truth. Chip is really good at the games they do, and you can tell he has put down a lot of time in preparation before recording the LPs. And the commentary is for the most part pretty hilarious.

I don't really like playing MGS games "the way they are supposed to be played", so watching someone who knows the game in and out is a treat. I would probably not love the MGS series as much if it weren't for those LPs.

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Giefcookie

The Persona 4 endurance run was the first Let's Play I ever watched so naturally nothing after that can be as good.

But yes, I watch a bunch of em. Best friends play and Jesse Cox stuff mostly, VideoGamesAwesome when I have the time.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@Freqtal: They're solid, not particularly funny but not especially unfunny either. The main issue is they reek of the SA circle jerk "I'm superior because I paid to post on an internet forum" shit.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47  Edited By DoctorWelch

I'm going to start playing through FEZ and record myself on my youtube channel here, but I wasn't planning on calling it a Let's Play. I usually find most people that do this kind of stuff to be trying too hard, so I guess I'm just going to be relaxed and try to be myself.

Though, I bet I should probably put fucking Let's Play in the title so that people might actually find it, even though I feel like that'd be kind of gross...idk.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By AngelN7

I preffer watching a walktrough (no commentary) of a game that I know I would never play for some reason, is way better than watching some unfunny guy trying to be funny or worse inserting in-jokes of previous Let's plays and pointing them out "here's a reference for you" seriously they all suck.

seannao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By seannao

@Bumpton: Absolutely yes. One of the formats for Lets Plays are blind runs!

happenstance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#50  Edited By happenstance

I will watch certain Let's Players/Commentators such as the Yogscast or HatFilms and would love to watch more but I find so many of them too unprofessional. There are just so many people doing them with their monotone voices or cheap equipment that its hard to sift through to find the good ones.

I have actually thought about doing Let's Plays before myself but I know that I just dont have the right voice for it, too low. Also I think that for a good Youtube commentator channel you need to have more than one person, I always find that if people have someone to play off of and chat to it makes it so much more interesting.