• 98 results
#51 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

Let's plays are a bit like professional sports to me - approximately zero interest*. Even GB's TNT stuff tends to be outside of my taste most of the time (the ones I have seen steer pretty clear of normal lets play territory).

*= Throwing starcraft on tv while I am cooking dinner for 30min/hr is an exception though. Purely based on liking the NASL, some IPL, and some EGMCSL casters.

#52 Posted by Arceion (207 posts) -

NCS!!!

#53 Edited by TechnoSyndrome (942 posts) -

I'm keeping up with a small handful of SomethingAwful LPs at any given time, but not too many. Most of the ones I follow know how to keep the balance between informative and humorous, especially Chip and Ironicus. There's a few purely humor ones I watch (pokecapn's current Four Swords Adventures LP has been great), but for the most part I look for both aspects in an LP.

There probably are some good YouTube Let's Plays nowadays, but it's impossible to discover them amongst the mountains of shit where people just yell a whole lot and spout shitty catchphrases because they think LPs are about the player and not the game.

@Fredchuckdave said:

@Freqtal: They're solid, not particularly funny but not especially unfunny either. The main issue is they reek of the SA circle jerk "I'm superior because I paid to post on an internet forum" shit.

Hahaha what the hell made you think this? Nobody (well, I'm sure there's a few terrible people who do, but most don't) on SA thinks they're better than others because they shelled out to pay the immense ten dollar registration fee.

#54 Posted by dungbootle (2458 posts) -

Yes.

#55 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5739 posts) -

@Taku128 said:

Hahaha what the hell made you think this? Nobody (well, I'm sure there's a few terrible people who do, but most don't) on SA thinks they're better than others because they shelled out to pay the immense ten dollar registration fee.

It's just something that happens on internet forums if there's any exclusivity, the superiority complex isn't related to paying the fee it's related to most everyone agreeing with one another. For example: Geop's Dark Souls LP is fucking terrible boring shit and vastly inferior to Squint's Demon's Souls LP; but it's hailed as some masterpiece. I mean it takes the guy 15 episodes to go through one damn zone, that is unequivocally slow and incompetent, but not incompetent in a funny, entertaining way, just in a way that makes you want to sleep for all eternity. Even those scarce few who dare voice their opinion in opposition do so in an apologetic way (Like Proteus, that champion and hero for all things Daikatana) and say "This is unbearably slow... but people seem to like it."

But as I said, SA is kind of fading in terms of LP quality and most of the good LP groups are quitting (Freelance Astronauts etc.), since turning games into a second "job" is a bad idea for non MMO players.

#56 Posted by FoolishChaos (444 posts) -

Obviously I like watching people play video games, seeing as I love giant bomb. Watching people play all the way through a game though, I don't do very often. Still haven't finished the P4 endurance run.

However, this mans LP of the penumbra games was a joy to watch. Highly recommended: http://www.youtube.com/user/Helloween4545

#57 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4643 posts) -

I watch a few. Rooster Teeth, Purge, Two Best Friends, Cross Counter, SeaNanners, and maybe 1 or 2 others, but that's about it. I will always have nothing but respect for my homeboy MaximusBlack, but I find that any game he plays that isn't Starcraft is fucking infuriating to watch simply because I've never seen someone not pay attention and do the same thing a billion times in a row hoping for different results to the extent that he does it.

#58 Posted by Freqtal (95 posts) -

@Fredchuckdave said:

@Freqtal: They're solid, not particularly funny but not especially unfunny either. The main issue is they reek of the SA circle jerk "I'm superior because I paid to post on an internet forum" shit.

Can't say I've noticed much, or any, of this during their LPs that I've seen. Only thing is they mention the forum thread were people vote on stuff for the character to wear (T-shirts in NMH).

#59 Posted by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

I only watch them if it is a game that Giant Bomb hasn't covered and I'm trying to decided whether or not I should buy/play it.

#60 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5739 posts) -

@Freqtal: It's predominately tossed aside dialogue which I imagine is easy enough to ignore if you're not aware of various situations; they're far from the worst offenders at that.

#61 Posted by I_smell (3924 posts) -
#62 Edited by TechnoSyndrome (942 posts) -

@Fredchuckdave said:

@Taku128 said:

It's just something that happens on internet forums if there's any exclusivity, the superiority complex isn't related to paying the fee it's related to most everyone agreeing with one another. For example: Geop's Dark Souls LP is fucking terrible boring shit and vastly inferior to Squint's Demon's Souls LP; but it's hailed as some masterpiece. I mean it takes the guy 15 episodes to go through one damn zone, that is unequivocally slow and incompetent, but not incompetent in a funny, entertaining way, just in a way that makes you want to sleep for all eternity. Even those scarce few who dare voice their opinion in opposition do so in an apologetic way (Like Proteus, that champion and hero for all things Daikatana) and say "This is unbearably slow... but people seem to like it."

It's called being polite? I'll watch plenty of first videos of an LP and then decide "Nah, this isn't for me" and close it half-way through. I don't then go shit in his thread because me saying "Your LP is boring" doesn't do anybody any good. If I had actual criticism I'd post it, but usually the video just clearly isn't for me. I haven't watched Geop's Dark Souls LP, but I tried his Assassin's Creed one and just couldn't get into it. He brought his knowledge of history and different cultures into it by explaining lots of details about the era and how they're reflected in the game, but I just found it boring so I stopped watching and went to do something else.

Also if you don't think YouTube LPs are a circlejerk, try posing a negative comment on a video by any popular LPer and see the response you get. Your comment will be marked as Spam and you'll have a million responses telling you to go fuck yourself and how you're just jealous of the LPer's popularity. Hell, Retsupurae did a video of a guy where the LPer himself later made a video saying he was cool with them RPing his video in an attempt to calm down his fans, but the comments in the RP continue to be filled with people defending the LPer like slowbeef and Diabetus just insulted their mother.

#63 Edited by bio595 (307 posts) -

No, because no one plays games exactly the way I would and I just get annoyed.

PS: this should be a poll

#64 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5739 posts) -

@Taku128: I'm aware of Youtube being retarded, that's fine and kind of an expectation. The problem with SA is that people wouldn't be polite if Geop was a new user and that was his first LP, they'd just shit all over him. But since people like Vicas (myself included) and are afraid of irritating whatever established section of the forum they just won't be honest about it; and as a result its a 5 star thread despite being mediocre at best (I mean it does show off the game, just in the weakest way). That sort of internal favoritism is extremely common on internet forums, but SA is supposed to be some mecca for people avoiding retardation on the internet and... it just isn't? The discourse is slightly better, I will grant, but it kind of falls prey to most of the same issues any other closed section of the internet has.

#65 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

@Freqtal said:

@Azteck said:

Chip & Ironicus are the best LP duo out there if you ask me.

This man speaks the truth. Chip is really good at the games they do, and you can tell he has put down a lot of time in preparation before recording the LPs. And the commentary is for the most part pretty hilarious.

I don't really like playing MGS games "the way they are supposed to be played", so watching someone who knows the game in and out is a treat. I would probably not love the MGS series as much if it weren't for those LPs.

Yup basically. I never had a PS2 or a PS3, so I never got the chance to experience the series. But the amount of time and knowledge Chip put into the MGS Let's Plays means I know just as much as the people who played it, if not more than a lot of people do, simply because they show so many different aspects of the game.

#66 Posted by TechnoSyndrome (942 posts) -

@Fredchuckdave said:

@Taku128: I'm aware of Youtube being retarded, that's fine and kind of an expectation. The problem with SA is that people wouldn't be polite if Geop was a new user and that was his first LP, they'd just shit all over him. But since people like Vicas (myself included) and are afraid of irritating whatever established section of the forum they just won't be honest about it; and as a result its a 5 star thread despite being mediocre at best (I mean it does show off the game, just in the weakest way). That sort of internal favoritism is extremely common on internet forums, but SA is supposed to be some mecca for people avoiding retardation on the internet and it just isn't? The discourse is slightly better, I will grant, but it kind of falls prey to most of the same issue any other closed section of the internet has.

What your'e saying is definitely true, but that doesn't prevent great LPs from popping up over there, and I've never gotten the circle-jerk mentality out of the LPers themselves. I generally don't read LP threads (aside from the current Phoenix Wright screenshot LP because reading speculation by first-timers is fun) because they're super boring and are filled with the kinds of generic praise your'e talking about, but it's easy enough to skim through the thread until you find the next post by the LPer.

#67 Posted by Christoffer (1868 posts) -

I don't watch Let's Plays but I follow a few Twitch channels. I like the live element. Talking to people and possibly affecting the streamer, quite fun.

#68 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5739 posts) -

@Taku128: Yeah that's basically why I don't have an SA account; if I want to get in touch with an LPer I use their website or twitter recently (only reason I have a twitter account). The funny thing is I probably would fit in perfectly... but only if I had started there 5 or 6 years ago. I certainly have respect for slowbeef, Diabetus, Baldurk etc. And especially when I was watching SGF's Deadly Premonition LP I wanted to heap praise on the guy for providing top tier entertainment; but eventually I figured out ways to do that outside of SA itself.

#69 Posted by MB (12739 posts) -

@Turambar said:

@MB said:

Never - the closest I'll come to any of that is watching Giant Bomb content. I have no interest in watching wannabe video game journalists play and/or talk about games.

Even if a person that really likes a game will probably know more about said game than any game journalist whose profession does not allow him to spend all his time on just one

I'm not sure where you were going with this - but it's irrelevant to me how much some guy on YouTube knows about or likes a certain game. I'm just not interested in watching random internet people play video games while listening to their almost always terrible commentary.

#70 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5739 posts) -

@MB: Why deal in absolutes? There's thousands of terrible LPs out there and a handful of good ones, I can understand if you don't want to bother wading through shit to get to good stuff (though really it takes about 30 seconds a video), but there's plenty of LPs that are vastly superior to the endurance runs on this site for example. Like it or not LP Superstars reach more people than any game site other than metacritic these days; even if it's undeserving (most of the time it is). Thus they'll eventually supplant them for everything save news.

#71 Posted by MB (12739 posts) -

@Fredchuckdave: It doesn't interest me, period. While I'm sure some are better than others, that is irrelevant to me because I don't watch Let's Plays and don't plan on starting. I barely have time for actually playing games, let alone watching other people play them.

#72 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5739 posts) -

@MB: Do you watch the Endurance Runs? If not fine, that's acceptable; but pretty huge double standard if you do. I don't watch LPs of games that I play, just games that I'm vaguely interested in but will likely never get around to playing; but at some point I probably won't have the time to do either. Granted I have an idea of where to find good LPs and don't just randomly search youtube which would have predictably horrifying results.

Edit: I did watch a random Spec Ops The Line LP and probably had just as fine an experience as anyone that played it, random youtuber. Saves money for games with good storylines and terrible gameplay. 3-4 hours of Nolan North yelling "Got the fucker!"

#73 Posted by Turambar (6813 posts) -

@MB said:

@Turambar said:

@MB said:

Never - the closest I'll come to any of that is watching Giant Bomb content. I have no interest in watching wannabe video game journalists play and/or talk about games.

Even if a person that really likes a game will probably know more about said game than any game journalist whose profession does not allow him to spend all his time on just one

I'm not sure where you were going with this - but it's irrelevant to me how much some guy on YouTube knows about or likes a certain game. I'm just not interested in watching random internet people play video games while listening to their almost always terrible commentary.

My specific beef is with your usage of the term "wannabe game journalist", as if that's what LPs are going for. Without exceptions, the biggest fans of games can probably speak more informatively about their own specific passion with greater accuracy than any "professional game journalist". But if you're speaking of commentary quality not in the sense of information, but rather entertainment value, that has nothing to do with any journalistic qualities. That's just personality and theater.

#74 Posted by mgray5159 (52 posts) -

I watch it all the time on Twich.tv

#75 Posted by Maitimo (204 posts) -

I wouldn't watch one of a game I want to play, but there's no other way to consume certain titles - things like Sonic 2006, for instance. Watching a group of friends riffing off the awfulness is about the only enjoyment any right-thinking person will get from it.

They can be read, too, incidentally.

#76 Posted by seannao (227 posts) -

I guess this counts as well.

http://tasvideos.org/

Tool-Assisted Runs! Mostly for ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES.

It's amazing to see people see how badly they can break games, like beating Ocarina of Time in under 20 minutes.

#77 Edited by Reddy1124 (139 posts) -
#78 Posted by Levius (1171 posts) -

Yeah, I watch/have watched slowbeef/diabetus (both let's plays and Retsuprae), Chip and Ironicus, the Sonic 2006 guys and Klyka1 (mainly because I wanted to see if Infernal was really that bad).

#79 Posted by kurtbro900 (117 posts) -

I do. Mainly because I have no life.

#80 Posted by ABK_92 (176 posts) -

I'm a fan of Two Best Friends Play and Vash12349. Oh and DSPgaming is the worst lp'er there is, do not watch his videos.

#81 Posted by Kedi2 (252 posts) -

I watch Two Best Friends.

#82 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5739 posts) -

@AmatureIdiot: Fans of the Fortune Street TNT might want to check out "the sonic 2006 guys'" Mario Party LP here: http://video.discoshiny.com/videos/mario-party as well as the various Mario Party grab bags here: http://tippingforties.com/project.aspx?key=13

#83 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

Two Best Friends play is all I watch but its really fucking good.

#84 Posted by liako21 (526 posts) -

I do, but everytime i do i ask myself, "why am i watching this? I could be playing games myself."

I will say watching lets plays has made me better at games. its eye opening like wow im totally playing this game wrong.

#85 Posted by That1BlackGuy (217 posts) -

Only if I know I'll never play the game but wanted to check it out because once I see a game played I have no desire to pick it up and play it. I mostly stick to walkthroughs though because I can't stand commentary for the most part other than one guy I followed and that because he was a smartass.

#86 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Not really. I can watch and listen to people play and talk about video games. But watching an entire LP is something I never did.

#87 Posted by JordanK85 (140 posts) -

Overthegun on youtube. He recently did a Dark Souls playthrough with some of the more hilarious moments I've ever seen but almost all of his stuff is good.

#88 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

Can anyone recommend some LPers that play new games before or on releaseday that simply play the games well, on high quality recorder settings (1080p ideally), that don't really commentate? I want some sources for good previews other than GB.

#89 Posted by Karkarov (3187 posts) -

@murisan said:

Can anyone recommend some LPers that play new games before or on releaseday that simply play the games well, on high quality recorder settings (1080p ideally), that don't really commentate? I want some sources for good previews other than GB.

Uh no one who let's plays a game at 1080p will be posting video's same day as release unless they get a review copy. As a dude who has posted plenty of 1080p on youtube I can tell you filming it, editing it, and posting it takes around 12 hours from start to finish. Most "let's play" people don't get review copies, they are just people playing games they bought. Also they wouldn't be doing a let's play if they never actually said anything, it would just be video game footage.

#90 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

When let's plays are done right they're fun, Game Grumps and Two Best Friend's Play are my favorites because they keep it entertaining. Can't stand DSP or Pewdiepie though. Ugh.

#91 Edited by Silver-Streak (1369 posts) -

I broadcast on Twitch, specifically because I have friends who will never play some of the games I do, but are greatly interested in them.

I don't talk, however.

I still don't quite understand why random folks watch my channel, but whatever floats their boat, I guess.

Edit: I only really broadcast games on my first playthrough of them, as I can turn on the streaming without it affecting my game at all, so why not.

#92 Posted by living4theday258 (679 posts) -

depends on the game and the lp'er

#93 Edited by Cianyx (50 posts) -

Commentators generally feel like they're trying too hard to crack jokes which I guess is one of the side-effects of lengthy LP's. I used to enjoy Seananner, Husky and Critical (if he counts) though. Yogscast too but they got kinda annoying after a while

#94 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5739 posts) -

@murisan: http://www.youtube.com/user/theRadBrad/videos?view=0 He probably gets review copies at this point (pretty much anyone over 50k subs can); only issue is he could easily have 30 minute videos but has 10 minute ones to get more ad revenue; but oh well it worked for watching and not playing Spec Ops: The Line, which almost seems like a better experience.

#95 Posted by Arceion (207 posts) -

@murisan: theRadBrad

#96 Edited by Lazyaza (2196 posts) -
#97 Posted by Helios1337 (326 posts) -

I only watch them if I'm trying to find an older game to play that doesn't have a GB quicklook. Even then, I only to see actual gameplay and not the commentary.

#98 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Very rarely.