Do your coworkers play video games?

mau64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By mau64

I've been thinking a lot of how I'm in a minority where I work. It's full of older people, rednecks, and douchebags that I quite frankly have nothing in common with. I was wondering if this is how everybody else feels, or if they share a video game interest with their coworkers. Sure I run across the occasional COD or Farmville player, but just recently playing through Mass Effect 2; I have no one at work I can talk to about it. Thanks for video game podcasts :)

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

I doubt there's any people who play games as much as I do - or as much as anyone on Giantbomb - but there's a few who do play games pretty casually. Mostly Call of Duty and the like..

PixieNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By PixieNinja

There's a surprising number of gamers in my office actually. The majority of my colleagues vary in age from early 20s to late 30s, and whilst I was the only early adopter of the 360, now it's a different story - off the top of my head I can think of 12 other people with the console.
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Branthog

I work in the software development industry where most of my coworkers are between 35 and 50, have mortgages, children, spouses and car payments. They have to ask for permission to go do anything and have to plan it far ahead of time. I don't know any who are consistent gamers and only a couple who game at all in any way whatsoever. Or at least, they did when we started working together over a decade ago.

It would never occur to me to talk to my coworkers about games, because I doubt any of them would have even the slightest clue. Plus, I don't want to be the guy in the office that (despite being the only one who volunteers to work every holiday and any other time needed and works the weirdest hours and gladly does anything anytime always for a dozen straight years and has never taken a vacation) that people think of as the "game guy". Meaning, of course, "the guy who probably slacks off all the time, because that's what videogamers do".

Openly being a gamer at work isn't the worst thing I could do, though. It's probably one full step on the letter below openly being an atheist, which is probably the *worst* you could do in most fields/offices/whatever.

I always thought it would be awesome to work with a lot of hard core gamers, though. Have people I could do co-op with. Multi-player. Sit around on a couch fucking off with stupid games. Instead, I pretty much rely on random people online and hope that I can get ten minutes worth of gaming in without someone being a racist homophobe.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Buscemi
@Branthog said:
Openly being a gamer at work isn't the worst thing I could do, though. It's probably one full step on the letter below openly being an atheist, which is probably the *worst* you could do in most fields/offices/whatever.
Wow, I've never even considered that. Where I'm from most people are atheists or (the lazyman's version) agnostics. Damn.
t_blok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By t_blok

My co workers still think I'm a normal human being, they don't need to think anything else^^

hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By hexx462

Ended up at a job working with some of friends of mine and a lot of guys my age, it's nice to be able to chat about video games during lunch. However once I step away from the little manufacturing hub I work at and deal with the rest of the corporation there's not a gamer in sight.

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By TheCreamFilling

One guy, likes sports games, so we have nothing in common. 

mau64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By mau64
@TheCreamFilling said:
" One guy, likes sports games, so we have nothing in common.  "
Yeah I see that instance as well. It just kinda sucks I have to hear other people talk about video games. Which is why blogging and podcasting helps in these instances. I've basically surrounded myself with gaming, listen to it while I work and play them when I get home.
Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Vinny_Says

all my Asian friends at work play PS3 and Xbox, one girl is a bit older she likes the exercise stuff on the wii. My manager really enjoys getting drunk and playing Rockband...now I feel like I`ve said too much

Marmaladebrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By Marmaladebrat

There are a couple of people at my job who are gamers and are on XBox Live. I am afraid to exchange Gamer Tags with them, then they could know when I am home playing games when I say I am working from home. : )