Does Activision get a cut off World of Warcraft?

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Kazona

Ok this is probably a strange question, but I've been trying to make certain of this and I can't find anything solid on it. We all know Activision and Blizard merged and obviously Activision is now making money off of Blizard. But what I'm wondering is if they are getting a cut off anything World of Warcraft related as well. If they do, then I'm afraid that I will be cancelling my WoW account because after reading the whole thing about Activision sueing the developer of Brutal Legend, I have decided to no longer invest money into any games that Activision is getting a cut off.

So to put it simply, if Activision makes money off WoW, I will no longer play WoW. If all the money goes to Blizzard itself, however, then I'll continue playing it. I just don't want Activision to get a single penny of my money anymore, not after the dick move they made towards Brutal Legend and the team behind it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I wonder this also, hopefully blizzard made an agreement they wouldn't get anything out of Wow, if so I won't be going back, Activision are turning into what EA used to be, and worst.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By TheMustacheHero

That's a stupid reason to quit WoW, but whatever. I'm sure it all pools into one giant mass of money, but I really have no clue. The WoW team only has 160 people so either they're really rich or the money is going somewhere else.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By natetodamax
@TheMustacheHero said:
" That's a stupid reason to quit WoW, but whatever. I'm sure it all pools into one giant mass of money, but I really have no clue. The WoW team only has 160 people so either they're really rich or the money is going somewhere else. "
Any reason to quit WoW is a good one.
djstyles92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By djstyles92
@natetodamax said:
"
@TheMustacheHero said:
" That's a stupid reason to quit WoW, but whatever. I'm sure it all pools into one giant mass of money, but I really have no clue. The WoW team only has 160 people so either they're really rich or the money is going somewhere else. "
Any reason to quit WoW is a good one. "
yup any reason to quit that game is good

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By The_A_Drain

Well, you only have to look at the stock reports and any other financial reports. Yes, they do get 'a cut' from wow, they get ALL OF IT. In their last report, the money Activision made from WoW was almost equal (literally, short only a couple hundred thousand monies) to that of everything else they make money from combined.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Kazona
@TheMustacheHero said:
How is it stupid to refuse to support a company that screws over hard working people in the way Activision is trying to screw over Tim Shafer and the people behind Brutal Legend?
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By StarFoxA
@Kazona: It's a stupid reason because the goal behind every company is to make money. So they probably didn't see those money-making capabilities in Brutal Legend.
NitroQuick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By NitroQuick
Vivendi SA (formerly known as Vivendi Universal a French conglomerate) is a majority stake holder (52%) in activision after the merger...meaning Vivendi (which owns Blizzard) also owns Activision now. So it is unlikley that blizzard will be giving money to activision...however both companies are a part of Vivendi games divison now known as Activision Blizzard. To answer your question however if Acitivision is suing brutal legend they probably got the go ahead from Vivendi which as stated also owns Blizzard. So while Blizzard wont be giving cash to Activision, the company that owns both is still technically involved in suing Brutal legend. So technically your cash while not directly helping in suing Brutal legend is sill a part of the company that is suing them. It has been clearly stated by Vivendi and blizzard that  they will give blizzard free reign as they always have done, and the merger should in no way affect blizzard. Meaning that blizzard will continue to do what blizzard does with minimal interference. Hope this helps.
Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Kazona
@StarFoxA said:
" @Kazona: It's a stupid reason because the goal behind every company is to make money. So they probably didn't see those money-making capabilities in Brutal Legend. "

Appearantly you haven't been following things between Activision and Brutal Legend all that closely. This is not about them dropping the game. It is about Activision sueing the people behind the game now that they realize another company is going to be making money off it. In other words, they realize they made a mistake and instead of just owning up to that mistake they decided to do whatever they can to run Brutal Legend into the ground. And that is an incredibly dick move. That would be like... Me giving my Xbox 360 to someone because I don't like any of the games on it, and then later on, when I realize there are games I want, going to the police to say they stole my console.

They might not have seen the money-making capabilities behind Brutal Legend when they dropped it, which is just the way bussines works. But to fuck the people behind the game over now that Activision realizes they were wrong to drop that game? That is just fucked up.

Edit: Here's the article which talks about the lawsuit.
Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kazona
@NitroQuick said:
" Vivendi SA (formerly known as Vivendi Universal a French conglomerate) is a majority stake holder (52%) in activision after the merger...meaning Vivendi (which owns Blizzard) also owns Activision now. So it is unlikley that blizzard will be giving money to activision...however both companies are a part of Vivendi games divison now known as Activision Blizzard. To answer your question however if Acitivision is suing brutal legend they probably got the go ahead from Vivendi which as stated also owns Blizzard. So while Blizzard wont be giving cash to Activision, the company that owns both is still technically involved in suing Brutal legend. So technically your cash while not directly helping in suing Brutal legend is sill a part of the company that is suing them. It has been clearly stated by Vivendi and blizzard that  they will give blizzard free reign as they always have done, and the merger should in no way affect blizzard. Meaning that blizzard will continue to do what blizzard does with minimal interference. Hope this helps. "

Well yes and no. It's good to know that Vivendi has a stake in this whole lawsuit as well. But what I'm basically wondering is... does any of the 15 bucks I pay each month go to Activision or does it all go to Blizzard itself. If the answer is, "yes part of the money (or all of it) goes to Activision," then I won't be putting any more money into that game. If, however, the answer is, "no Blizzard keeps all the money they make off of the subcription fee," then I will continue to play WoW. I just do not want Activision getting their hands on my money anymore. Not after the shit they're pulling. And now that I know Vivendi has something to do with that whole lawsuit as well, I won't be giving any more my money to them either.

Let me make one thing clear. I am not someone who goes around boycotting every company that does something I don't agree with. In fact, I have never in my whole life done such a thing. But I find this lawsuit to be such an incredibly despicable thing that I can't, from a moral perspective, with a clean conscious continue to invest money into anything Activision does.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@Kazona: It's stupid because if you enjoy WoW then you are only hurting your own happiness because 1 account being canceled isn't going to hurt Activision/Blizzard nor will it make them appologize to Double Fine for ditching their game.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By toowalrus

I'm sure Blizzard makes money off Activision, too...

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kazona
@TheMustacheHero: Ah! But there's the catch. I can be perfectly happy without WoW, but I can't be happy knowing that my money is going to Activision. I know it won't make a difference at all to them if I no longer pay them 15 bucks a month, but look at what happened with EA. They thought they could do whatever the hell they wanted. Eventually enough people stopped putting money into EA that they had no choice but to turn things around. So my money might not make a difference right now, but if Activision keeps going down this route, chances are that eventually enough people will feel the same as I do and it'll end up hurting Activision.