#1 Posted by miko1222 (208 posts) -

So, I got my Alienware M14X R2, and so far, all I've been is impressed. The M14X R2 runs Elder Scrolls Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim on Ultra High settings, with 0% lag. And, while I have no doubt that this PC will run games like Arkham City, Origins and Assassin's Creed 2 with ease, but I was wondering if the Alienware M14X R2 will run Next Gen games, and if so, at what settings?

Will the Alienware M14X R2 run these games below, and if so, at what settings?:

Watch Dogs (Low, Medium, High or Ultra High?)

Thief (Low, Medium, High or Ultra High?)

Infamous: Second Son ((Low, Medium, High or Ultra High?)

Battlefield 4 (Low, Medium, High or Ultra High?)

The Elder Scrolls Online (Low, Medium, High or Ultra High?)

The Witcher 3 (Low, Medium, High or Ultra High?)

Assassin's Creed Liberation HD (Low, Medium, High or Ultra High?)

Thanks for those who can help.

#2 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

Dude, what. Infamous is a PlayStation exclusive, for one. No one knows how any of the unreleased games you've listed will run on any machine.

And as an aside, it bothers me when people use the term lag when referring to rendering game graphics. The term just has very little meaning without providing more to-the-point information. I guess when you say "no lag," you probably mean that the framerate doesn't drop to noticeably low levels, but even that's a subjective thing.

Sorry, I haven't been much help.

#4 Posted by Jackentrote (43 posts) -

Your heart is in the right place but, poor guy, how much did this Alienware rip off cost you?

#5 Posted by thatdutchguy (1271 posts) -

Infamous: Second Son is a playstation 4 exclusive ya dingus.

#6 Edited by Crysack (301 posts) -

That laptop has a relatively weak card last I checked - a 650M, which is somewhere close to a desktop 5750 I believe. The short answer is that it won't run next-gen games particularly well. Hope for medium at the very best.

#7 Posted by Thedrbrian (62 posts) -

@jackentrote said:

Your heart is in the right place but, poor guy, how much did this Alienware rip off cost you?

Dude don't mess with the laptop gamer mafia.

#8 Edited by Viking_Funeral (1759 posts) -

@thedrbrian: People who buy Alienware aren't in the laptop gaming mafia. They're people who put up a Scarface poster and throw gang signs from the backseat of their mom's minivan.

#9 Posted by TheHBK (5471 posts) -

@thedrbrian: People who buy Alienware aren't in the laptop gaming mafia. They're people who put up a Scarface poster and throw gang signs from the backseat of their mom's minivan.

That it's this thread is over. Also, gaming laptops just make me shake my head. Buy a 3DS and enjoy games on the go.

#10 Posted by Cactusapple (63 posts) -

I think he thinks he's boasting about having bought an alienware when the rest of us see it as "admitting" to it.

#11 Edited by MB (12206 posts) -

There is some really disappointing behavior occurring in this topic. Please stop being jerks.

#12 Edited by miko1222 (208 posts) -

@mb:

How do I report a user to the mods?

#14 Edited by MB (12206 posts) -

@miko1222: You can click the flag button on the post and we will take a look at it. Otherwise there is a link in the right column of all forum pages to send us all a group private message.

#15 Posted by Mister_V (1257 posts) -

Assasins creed should be fine as it's just a an up ressed Vita game. Infamous is a PS4 exclusive. Elder scrolls online is in open beta so get yourself a code from gamespot and find out. Theif kind of runs like garbage on any platform so i don't think it's a good test of hardware.

As for watchdogs and the Witcher knowone knows as neither of those games are out yet.

As a former gaming laptop owner myself (I was young and foolish) I wouldn't get your hopes up. Heat managent is a real problem and tends to kill the framerate when things get intense.

#16 Posted by Fattony12000 (7265 posts) -

Well, those are all current gen games.

I imagine that The Witcher 3 and Watch Dogs would strangle that, or pretty much any, laptop at medium/high/ultra settings!

#17 Posted by Thedrbrian (62 posts) -

@mister_v said:

Assasins creed should be fine as it's just a an up ressed Vita game. Infamous is a PS4 exclusive. Elder scrolls online is in open beta so get yourself a code from gamespot and find out. Theif kind of runs like garbage on any platform so i don't think it's a good test of hardware.

As for watchdogs and the Witcher knowone knows as neither of those games are out yet.

As a former gaming laptop owner myself (I was young and foolish) I wouldn't get your hopes up. Heat managent is a real problem and tends to kill the framerate when things get intense.

However with a laptop you do get the advantage of a low resolution screen which will flatter the graphics card.

#18 Posted by AlexW00d (6230 posts) -

If it does indeed have a GT650m then I wouldn't expect to be getting much out of anything fairly modern - engine wise, Skyrim isn't a very good test game - even with the substantially lower resolution screen than most benchmarks are run for.

#19 Edited by Tennmuerti (8059 posts) -

@miko1222:
Most of what @jjweatherman has advised you is correct. Lag has nothing to do with your hardware performance, it's a term used to describe delay due to network latency in online multiplayer. Games that haven't come out no one can tell you how they will run. Thief you might need to turn down a bit, it's a bit of a hog. Battlefield 4 you will definitely need to keep turning the settings down until you find the framerate you are comfortable with. AC:Liberation should not be demanding at all, it was a vita game. Keep in mind that due to the small screen, what will help your performance is that your laptop only has to render at 1600x900.

@fattony12000: Depends mostly on the GPU of the laptop in question, the 650m is a bit on the low end so yeah, it will likely struggle with those titles. But something like a 780m or a 7970m should do quite alright.

@mister_v: As long as you allow for proper ventilation any decent modern gaming laptop will manage heat just fine, they still run a bit on the hot site, but not to the point that degrades performance.

#20 Edited by _Dad (41 posts) -

I have an M17x with a 7970M and even it can struggle at times at 1080p.

#21 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4337 posts) -

Well I hope you like just playing current gen games because you're going to be limited to just that. I wouldn't expect for next gen games to run anything beyond medium to low while also still having a poor framerate.

I've never got the appeal of those kinds of laptops unless you are some super specific case where your life forces you to be mobile and you don't desire to play all games at decent settings due to how terribly fast mobile GPU's age (or you just have that much disposable cash to throw away on new laptop upgrades). For me, MacBook Air for mobility/work and a custom i7/770 desktop for when I want to seriously play a game.

#22 Posted by Mister_V (1257 posts) -

@tennmuerti: That's an improvement then. It was a few years ago when i had mine but i remember getting very hot legs on more than one occasion when i actually had it on my lap.

@thedrbrian: Very true. had forgotten about that.

#23 Edited by WasabiCurry (422 posts) -

Unfortunately, @colourful_hippie is correct. In my opinion, gaming laptops should be avoided unless you really need a laptop for school or are planning to play non-graphic intense games like Spelunky, Risk of Rain, Tropico 4, etc with the laptop resolution. The reason why I am pessimistic is that I owned an Alienware M11x laptop for the longest of time. While it played WoW beautifully, it didn't fair so well when I tried to go to 1080 p resolution. As an experiment, I tried to play Arkam Origins and it was just a poor experience. Knocking the graphical settings to low and setting the laptop resolution to 1368 X 768 could not make that game run at even 30 fps.

I cannot know whether those games you listed will work in the future. I would be cautious and say that it will probably land between middle and low. Also, lag is something that happens a lot on online mutliplayer games. For example, when someone is "lagging" in WoW, that is normal due to their network connection. Not their graphic card. If you are experiencing stuttering in your game that would be a drop in fps (Frames per second).

#24 Edited by Tennmuerti (8059 posts) -

@wasabicurry: Like I've already mentioned it really depends on the GPU the laptop is packing. For a long time mobile GPUs were very very far behind. They are still behind equivalent standard graphical cards by a large margin, but a lot of modern cards also have an overabundance of power anyway, and a lapotop will also generally be running at 1080p tops unlike say 1440p and above people like to run on desktops.

For example's sake I have a 2.5 year old m18x with 2 6990m GPUs and it ran The Witcher 2 maxed out bar the ultrasampling, and BF3 ran at 60 on all but a few settings maxed, same goes for both Metro games. I haven't tried playing BF4 on it but nothing else up to this point has made me drop below a mix of high/max settings either and I've played most big budget releases. As long as you know which graphical doodads are more resource intensive on a GPUs and tweak some settings you can run any modern game on next to highest settings no problem. As another example my brother has a 7970m in his laptop and it outperforms both my cards combined by a large margin, he plays BF4 at 60 zealously on high as he prefers a stable framerate.

This myth that gaming laptops can't run good looking modern games has been left behind several years ago. Yet plenty of people (not you specifically but like the thread above showed) are still stuck in the past.

At this point all they really are are compact portable desktops that are about 2-3 times as expensive (with a lower tier gpu and an inbuilt monitor). I would never advise someone to get a gaming laptop unless they have a specific use in mind that usually involves moving around a lot and only if they are fine with the extra cost. But if both those scenarios are true, there is also no reasons not to get one and play whatever you want on them.

I feel like there is a conversation like this in every second gaming laptop thread that gets made on these forums. :P

#25 Posted by Starfishhunter9 (369 posts) -

@wasabicurry: Like I've already mentioned it really depends on the GPU the laptop is packing. For a long time mobile GPUs were very very far behind. They are still behind equivalent standard graphical cards by a large margin, but a lot of modern cards also have an overabundance of power anyway, and a lapotop will also generally be running at 1080p tops unlike say 1440p and above people like to run on desktops.

For example's sake I have a 2.5 year old m18x with 2 6990m GPUs and it ran The Witcher 2 maxed out bar the ultrasampling, and BF3 ran at 60 on all but a few settings maxed, same goes for both Metro games. I haven't tried playing BF4 on it but nothing else up to this point has made me drop below a mix of high/max settings either and I've played most big budget releases. As long as you know which graphical doodads are more resource intensive on a GPUs and tweak some settings you can run any modern game on next to highest settings no problem. As another example my brother has a 7970m in his laptop and it outperforms both my cards combined by a large margin, he plays BF4 at 60 zealously on high as he prefers a stable framerate.

This myth that gaming laptops can't run good looking modern games has been left behind several years ago. Yet plenty of people (not you specifically but like the thread above showed) are still stuck in the past.

At this point all they really are are compact portable desktops that are about 2-3 times as expensive (with a lower tier gpu and an inbuilt monitor). I would never advise someone to get a gaming laptop unless they have a specific use in mind that usually involves moving around a lot and only if they are fine with the extra cost. But if both those scenarios are true, there is also no reasons not to get one and play whatever you want on them.

I feel like there is a conversation like this in every second gaming laptop thread that gets made on these forums. :P

For most people cost is a big factor. I know something with dual 7970m which costs 4k will run things fine at max at 1080p, but what me and most people want is something around 1k which can do the job reasonably well which just doesn't exist. You really do need to compromise when buying a gaming laptop and the trade-offs are not worth it IMO.

#26 Edited by Tennmuerti (8059 posts) -

@starfishhunter9: Yeah, it's exactly why I mention the cost. You're paying for an overpriced product for convenience of portability.

But just fyi you can get something with just 1 7970m and it will run everything on the market perfectly fine at 1080p maxed (or near maxed if we are talking technical juggernauts like say BF4) at 60fps. And a laptop like this has cost 2k last year and that's an overpriced alienware one. So yes it's more expensive then building your own desktop, but you don't need to spend anywhere near 4k, i don't think i've even seen anything that expensive, unless you overload on every addition imaginable. A laptop with a 780m costs about 2k these days and that's a more powerful card.

But I digress, I'm not arguing that cost/benefit ratio is going to be good for most people, it's not. I'm only arguing the silly myth that you can't run modern games well on them :)

#27 Posted by WasabiCurry (422 posts) -

@tennmuerti: Oh, don't mind me. I know that there are laptops that can perform at high graphical settings. I guess if you wanted to hear that, you win?

#28 Posted by Crysack (301 posts) -

@starfishhunter9: Yeah, it's exactly why I mention the cost. You're paying for an overpriced product for convenience of portability.

But just fyi you can get something with just 1 7970m and it will run everything on the market perfectly fine at 1080p maxed (or near maxed if we are talking technical juggernauts like say BF4) at 60fps. And a laptop like this has cost 2k last year and that's an overpriced alienware one. So yes it's more expensive then building your own desktop, but you don't need to spend anywhere near 4k, i don't think i've even seen anything that expensive, unless you overload on every addition imaginable. A laptop with a 780m costs about 2k these days and that's a more powerful card.

But I digress, I'm not arguing that cost/benefit ratio is going to be good for most people, it's not. I'm only arguing the silly myth that you can't run modern games well on them :)

No one thinks that it's impossible to run modern games on a laptop. Sure, the ones with top-of-the-line mobile cards do alright for about a year or so since they tend to perform somewhere around a generation behind their desktop equivalents. Laptops have plenty of other issues - the first being that if you're looking for a laptop with something like a 780m in it, you're looking at a huge brick of a desktop replacement which defeats the point of portability almost entirely. The second is, obviously, that you're stuck buying another overpriced machine in a year or two's time because you can't upgrade any of your hardware. The third is the exceedingly poor cooling that usually comes with most laptops which, from personal experience, vastly reduces the life of the components - particularly the CPU. And, if any of those components die, you are stuck dealing with the manufacturer rather than replacing them yourself.

If you spend your entire life traveling around then sure, get a gaming laptop. Otherwise, there is absolutely no point to getting one.

#29 Edited by Tennmuerti (8059 posts) -

@crysack:

As far as the not running modern games well goes, the comments in this thread and others before it show otherwise, yes some people still do think that. (you used the word impossible not me)

A year of doing alright is not a realistic time frame to bring up at all, 2-3 at a minimum. I already gave examples.

If people think to use a gaming laptop on their lap, that's delusional, and that's their own fault for believing that misnomer, that's not what is meant by portability in this case.They are still gaming machines with a dedicated gpu so yes size will always be a factor. But portability is always there, even the biggest ones on the market with 17 and 18 inch monitors can still be very easily put in a backpack (most companies are only too happy to sell you one in addition to the laptop) and carried around. Secondly you can go for a 14-15 inch laptops that are more compact. And even your giant 17-18 inch monsters can be easily used in a hotel, or a coffee table at an airport, or business lounge, or a rented room, be it vacation or work travel, you're just obviously not going to use one on a bus or some such.

I've had my hands on about 5 gaming laptops over the last half a dozen years, 3 of them mine from 2 different manufacturers. None of them had any CPU heat problems in their lifespan. As long as you allow them proper ventilation and dust them out from time to time it's not an issue anymore. Component replacement is a simple matter of warranty, which most gaming laptops come with by default of at least a year, so that your shit gets replaced for free.

That last point you mentioned I have reiterated twice in this thread already including the post you quoted. If you don't move around there is no reason to use a gaming laptop over a desktop, they're overpriced and the current mobile GPUs are proximately 1.5-2 times less productive then their counterparts.

#30 Posted by TyCobb (1961 posts) -

Did you really benchmark your laptop by playing Morrowind?

In PC, there is no concept of "next-gen". PC is far and above what consoles can offer. You just have to go day by day and hope your video card will run whatever kick-ass technology gets introduced in the next big game.

#31 Posted by miko1222 (208 posts) -

@tycobb:

Nope. I guess I was just making a note of what it could play. So, are you saying it will or will not run next gen games?

#32 Edited by Thedrbrian (62 posts) -

@miko1222 said:

@tycobb:

Nope. I guess I was just making a note of what it could play. So, are you saying it will or will not run next gen games?

I'll probably run the games* but get used to low.

*probably

#33 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4337 posts) -

Probably because the vast majority of people who think they want a gaming laptop are better off with a desktop, I've run into few people who recognize that their job or whatever are what make gaming laptops make the most sense for them versus a desktop.

#34 Posted by Fattony12000 (7265 posts) -

@fattony12000: Depends mostly on the GPU of the laptop in question, the 650m is a bit on the low end so yeah, it will likely struggle with those titles. But something like a 780m or a 7970m should do quite alright.

Indeed, here is a 780M running The Witcher 2...

Although, you are looking at dropping $878 on such a video card right now!

#35 Posted by Thedrbrian (62 posts) -

@tennmuerti said:

Indeed, here is a 780M running The Witcher 2...

Although, you are looking at dropping $878 on such a video card right now!

And more if you want more than a neat paperweight. I'd bet you could put a decent tower together for $878, that would be nearly(probably better) than the 780m equipped laptop.

Had a quick look around on newegg('cos America) and a 760(which is roughly the same thanks to GPUBOSS) is $260 and roughly 3 times cheaper. Even in the UK where shit costs more because warranty you're only looking at $330 for a boxed ,totally legit ,retail 760. Hell for $878 I can get a proper right hand drive 780Ti.