Does all the new Great GB content detract from your gaming?

• 88 results
MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MakoTitan

I have 3 kids and a job, so that definitely is a factor in my lack of gaming. However, I still played an acceptable amount prior to all the new content that has been released as of late. I mean, I couldn't wait for "Load Our Last Souls" and I am soooo happy there were 2 episodes of "Breaking Brad" this week. When I get home from work, I don't really wanna play games as much as I want to watch the great stuff coming from Giantbomb. Has the content coming out impacted your playing at all? I honestly don't mind it one bit! :)

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I have the opposite problem. Too much GB content dropping while I'm trying to beat tales of xillia...

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

What content? ... oh the one behind the pay wall? I wouldnt know about that. >:(

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sort of. Can't watch any of it but all the dark souls hype is making me get back into myself. However then I can't play the games I usually do with friends.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yup. I now spend way more time consuming GB content than gaming.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Actually I've been playing Hearthstone while catching up on some of the stuff I've missed, so lately, I've been getting both in.

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Aviar

Yeah, I try to throw some of the shows up on my laptop next to me while i'm gaming on my pc.

2 birds, 1 stone.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have cut more than one gaming session short lately so I can watch some GB content before I go to bed. So, yeah, I guess so.

When possible, though, I like to find games I can play while I watch GB content.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#9 gamer_152  Moderator

No. Even with a lot of free time I don't watch every single minute of content the site puts out and I'm a moderator. I try to keep a bit of a balance between my Giant Bomb content and my actual video gaming.

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gamer_152: I would assume most people don't watch EVERY minute, but there has been a lot lately. Love it.

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aetheldod:
Dude, I know you don't like it, but it's really worth it! I mean, it supports the guys, and it's actually quality content. The personalities make GB what it is, and you get that in spades man.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

A combination of this and a few other things have definitely detracted from my gaming lately.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

goes in waves, right now I'm gaming more than watching.

But yeah hard to find time do both.

dr_ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play while I watch. Two birds.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Secret perk of handheld gaming is an easy road to both at once.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Justin258

I get enough gaming time.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I mostly just watch the live stream content these days. So,I have plenty of time.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Nasar7

I like listening to the bombcast and hearing their take on the industry and stuff more than I'm into playing games myself these days.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By nightriff

Yes it does which I don't mind, sometimes I would rather watch them play a game with commentary then play one myself, and its nice that when they do something that I don't care too much about (i.e. BB Demon's Souls) I can play games than watch that, so it is a balance for me which I really enjoy.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a GB feed connect directly to my frontal cortex.

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nasar7: Same here, I have both next-gen systems and am almost happier to watch Breaking Brad on a 13 inch laptop screen instead of killing zombies in Dead Rising 3, or destroying ships in AC4.

Now that will probably change when Titanfall and Destiny finally hit.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vegetashonor: :( problem is when I had it , it was the time they were bought by CBS so the content was barren and most of my sub time was wasted , so Im kinda butt hurt at the moment. (I know its silly but its the truth) And the free stuff is mostly borring (not the QL or the bombcast , but rather the boring daily dota )

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

absolutely not because there's a dire lack of free stuff.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#25  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I always just have GB on while I'm playing something. Unless it's a 100% attention kind of thing.

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Games I've either played through or not to fussed about what is happening is how I catch up on GB stuff. Doesn't have that much of an effect.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27  Edited By crusader8463

Nope. I'm bored out of my mind most days as I can't get motivated to play any of my massive backlog of games now that I have the free time to do so. Once it's over and I don't have the free time I will of course want to play them badly since I won't be able to. So as far as I'm concerned there could be more content cuss I still find myself bored to tears most days.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, because I'm not a premium member anymore.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, can't afford premium membership atm so there isn't really much content out there for me, apart from bombcast. Patrick's dark souls stream being non-site content really helps me out!

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag said:

goes in waves, right now I'm gaming more than watching.

But yeah hard to find time do both.

For sure last year I was basically spending all my time watching but I got So far behind in the games I wanted to play that I have been missing stuff I would normally watch the moment it came out (Splukin, Spooks DS Run, Extra Podcast)

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only GB content I actually sit down and watch is the Souls stuff. That's because the visual component is half the fun of those videos, though.

With everything else I just turn it on and go do something else. I find the content more enjoyable just listening to the dudes talk shit or discuss the merits of flu shots. I really don't care what they're doing while they're talking.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really. It might detract from my gaming time a little but but I manage.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been actually taking some time off of playing games (except for the odd spelunky daily challenge here and there), and this deluge of content has been great to fill the gap.

LucidDreams117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By LucidDreams117

Like you couldn't believe! I've been trying to play the demo for Lightning Returns Since it came out and I just keep coming back to all the videos I've downloaded from GB. I swear, it's a good thing I have unlimited internet.

On the flip side, I sometimes combine the two.

I stream the videos from my Surface to my Xbox One, snap that and Battlefield and watch while I play. It's great when I die... expect for my teammates of course... hmmm. Damn you GB!

Avatar image for generic_username
generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By generic_username

@aetheldod: I actually just find it quite nice for the ability to download everything. When I'm too short on cash to subscribe, I download anything premium that I think I might want to watch later before cancelling. It's also nice to have the entire catalogue of the Endurance Runs on my computer in a form that I can throw on to my portable media device.

Now onto the topic at hand

I haven't really found it interfering with my game playing time as much as I have found it interfering with my sleep. I tend to check the site as I turn in for bed, and then end up getting distracted by the great content on falling asleep 2-3 hours later than I originally intended.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@getz said:

I have the opposite problem. Too much GB content dropping while I'm trying to beat tales of xillia...

I am having Exactly the same problem!! Unprofessional Fridays is about to come on but I just want to keep playing Tales of Xillia!

I bought it last week, It was $10 on PS+

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

The time I spend watching GB stuff wouldn't otherwise be time I spend playing games, for the most part. The vast majority of it would more likely be time I spent watching shitty tv, or aimlessly messing about on the internet, or even sitting and doing absolutely nothing.

I've actually been playing games more consistently since I started getting into GB stuff, the last extended break from gaming I had ended because I caught an episode of the endurance run and said "fuck I need to play this Persona 4 game!"

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I have no problems finding time to play games, even with consuming Giant Bomb content. That said, I've not really been into the new content - I don't care at all for Demon's/Dark Souls, or for Spelunky - so I'm not spending as much time watching GB streams at the moment. Thinking of not renewing my subscription...

Also yeah, I'm often playing games while watching Giant Bomb streams.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#39  Edited By Humanity

As much as I appreciate what Patrick is doing, none of his stuff really interests me so I don't really watch it, and plain vanilla GB still puts out a steady trickle of content each week that I devour at work before I even get home. So I get plenty of time.

edoone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope to see more "office content": Reviews, news and Jeff Gerstmann & Co.

The Youtube "stuff" it's ok, but for now, I play more games

Dragon_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to watch GB content every day, but for about a year now I have been playing way more then watching GB content.

I'm honestly fine with playing rather than watching otherwise I will never get through my backlog of games.

Soon or later I will get back into watching rather then playing.

crcruz3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell, yes.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

There was a stretch of a few years there (something like 08-10 I guess) where I would watch every video that went up on the site (and listen to the podcast every week).

Over the last ~18 months, I find myself only watching maybe 1-2 videos a week (QLs; the livestreams just aren't for me anymore), and I haven't listened to the podcast since May of 2012 (aside from the Ryan memorial one). I dunno. I'm not really sure it's anything they're doing wrong, and clearly plenty of people still seem to enjoy most of everything the guys put out, but at this point I really only watch something if it's a game I'm interested in and I don't find their personality quirks grating that day.

I still check the site like 10 times a day, and I obviously still post often on the forums, but the way their content has shifted from production-focused to mostly just livestreams is decidedly not for me.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Nope, because I watch GB stuff/netflix/whatever when I'm not really in the mood to play a game. Can't think of a time when I had a game I felt like playing, but decided to watch something instead.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@ajamafalous said:

There was a stretch of a few years there (something like 08-10 I guess) where I would watch every video that went up on the site (and listen to the podcast every week).

Over the last ~18 months, I find myself only watching maybe 1-2 videos a week (QLs; the livestreams just aren't for me anymore), and I haven't listened to the podcast since May of 2012 (aside from the Ryan memorial one). I dunno. I'm not really sure it's anything they're doing wrong, and clearly plenty of people still seem to enjoy most of everything the guys put out, but at this point I really only watch something if it's a game I'm interested in and I don't find their personality quirks grating that day.

I still check the site like 10 times a day, and I obviously still post often on the forums, but the way their content has shifted from production-focused to mostly just livestreams is decidedly not for me.

This is pretty much me right here, though I do still (mostly) listen to the bombcast regularly, watch the odd stream every so often, and I'm also plenty active on the forum & wiki, too. Still, there was a time where I would say I was borderline addicted to everything GB, but these days... a lot of their stuff just doesn't appeal to me as much anymore.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Yes and no. When there is a lot of great stuff that I want to watch then it chips away at my gameplay, though when they put too much content a week, I just don't watch that much content on the site except for some of the premium stuff that I really like.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, not really.

LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have many friends where we just moved and my girlfriend and I have disparate work schedules. So no, I have entirely too much free time by myself, extra content or no.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aye. Giantbomb and my favorite Twitch/Youtube personalities. I use to be super into Hearthstone, but find myself enjoying watching Trump, itsHafu, and a couple others play more than I enjoy playing it myself. Same goes for Minecraft and Starbound. Both fantastic games, but its much more enjoyable (for me) to sit on my couch and watch than to play it myself.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think my new career cuts into my gaming time more than Giantbomb. In fact, I visit this site less than ever, which is too bad.